Awoo.

IGN: A Tour of Sonic Lost World [Gameplay]

Carbo

I've calmed myself a lot about expressing my opinion on this game, but I am still bothered by how much the basic movement mechanics have changed. Maybe the reason I keep coming back to talking about it is because I feel like IMO its so close, but so far away. 

To take out even the simplest form of accelerational movement in the controls just feels to me like its stripping the one foundation that the series has consistently had in every one of the mainstream games, good and bad. That, the backwards timer, and how it seems that there are no slopes and loops besides the ones that just have you stick to them (or automated segments).. this really just doesn't feel like how a 3D Sonic should be at all. (Which for that reason in itself is why I cringe every time I see someone on the internet say "oh yes they finally got Sonic in 3D right" because it barely resembles his gameplay now. XD)

I can respect other people's opinion that it looks fantastic, as I think it looks pretty fun as well, and definitely interesting. But considering the potential of what the return of Spindashing and the introduction of parkour can do, this is one kinda big disappointment. Looks like its gonna be a pretty great game, but not really a good Sonic game to me.

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 2

I understand people will feel this isn't what 3D Sonic should be, but I never really throw in the towel until I play the game and see how it feels.

I understand people will feel this isn't what 3D Sonic should be, but I never really throw in the towel until I play the game and see how it feels.

This, and really at this point people have tons and tons of ideas about how Sonic should look/feel/play in 3D that I personally have given up on the pursuit of a clear cut definition of such, ill pretty much accept any good new style that Sega comes up with as the style of 3D (which is what most people did with the boost before we all got sick of it) for Sonic if it's pulled of correctly.

Edited by Soniman

I can already tell how its gonna play just by looking at the footage. Whether it ends up being loads of fun or a frustration to me is what my personal experience is going to do. XD

Also,

This, and really at this point people have tons and tons of ideas about how Sonic should look/feel/play in 3D that I personally have given up on the pursuit of a clear cut definition of such, ill pretty much accept any good new style that Sega comes up with as the style of 3D (which is what most people did with the boost before we all got sick of it) for Sonic if it's pulled of correctly.

I just don't like how every time they try to find a new ground, they feel the need to reinvent the entire wheel, rather than keeping what works and replacing what doesn't. Unless if they think speed boosters and springs everywhere are what works.. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

I've calmed myself a lot about expressing my opinion on this game, but I am still bothered by how much the basic movement mechanics have changed. Maybe the reason I keep coming back to talking about it is because I feel like IMO its so close, but so far away. 

To take out even the simplest form of accelerational movement in the controls just feels to me like its stripping the one foundation that the series has consistently had in every one of the mainstream games, good and bad. That, the backwards timer, and how it seems that there are no slopes and loops besides the ones that just have you stick to them (or automated segments).. this really just doesn't feel like how a 3D Sonic should be at all. (Which for that reason in itself is why I cringe every time I see someone on the internet say "oh yes they finally got Sonic in 3D right" because it barely resembles his gameplay now. XD)

I can respect other people's opinion that it looks fantastic, as I think it looks pretty fun as well, and definitely interesting. But considering the potential of what the return of Spindashing and the introduction of parkour can do, this is one kinda big disappointment. Looks like its gonna be a pretty great game, but not really a good Sonic game to me.

There's always a chance that they'll improve the style to become more Sonic-y later, sort of like what they did between Unleashed Day, Colours and Generations Modern. I don't think it's fair to call this style un-sonic-y yet when we haven't really seen where it's gonna go in the future, I can forgive it because it's the first game trying this new style. Although I do agree that I don't like the instant acceleration. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

Well its not that I don't care, I'm more than willing to accept any other ideas for gameplay as long they're good and sound. I also am willing to listen to criticism to a gameplay  style that I like even if I don't agree with it.

Some of the complaints about the gameplay I can understand: the twitchy movement for the run button, the automation, etc. I don't think it ruins the game for me, but its something to keep in mind.

There's always a chance that they'll improve the style to become more Sonic-y later, sort of like what they did between Unleashed Day, Colours and Generations Modern. I don't think it's fair to call this style un-sonic-y yet when we haven't really seen where it's gonna go in the future, I can forgive it because it's the first game trying this new style. Although I do agree that I don't like the instant acceleration. 

Its "unSonicy" because...well, its not classic Sonic which most of the series owes its existence too.

Its "unSonicy" because...well, its not classic Sonic which most of the series owes its existence too.

Sonic Colours and Generations Modern were not classic Sonic either, but one could make an argument that they are more sonic-y then this.

Then again someone could make the opposite argument but eh. 

I mentioned this in the statuses, but considering how much more control you seem to have in the first level alone, I'm quite surprised how the reception is more negative than when Generations Green Hill was revealed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really, I think the best judgement I could make would come from seeing more of the level designs and how they deliver. But that in turn would kind of spoil the game, wouldn't it? It still looks like it could be a really great game, and I'd probably love it when playing it, but like I said I'm not gonna be able to shake off the "Mushroom Kingdom Fusion" feel. (and by that I mean, playing as Sonic in a Mario game)

I keep seeing this from people, worded as if being like the "classic Sonic mechanics" (which was actually in S1-3K, CD, SA1 and somewhat SA2, Pocket Adventure and all three Advance games somewhat) is a bad thing. I may have misinterpreted what you meant by saying that, but quite a bit of people here seem to hold some contempt to the thought of going back to it even in the smallest way. :P

Really, personally I wouldn't call this game "un-sonic-y" because while the twitch movement might be un-sonic-y, there's a lot of other things in this game that scream Sonic. The spindash, the parkour mechanics, the speed stages, lots of stuff. Just because one aspect is un-sonic-y doesn't mean the whole game is. In my opinion at least. 

I mentioned this in the statuses, but considering how much more control you seem to have in the first level alone, I'm quite surprised how the reception is more negative than when Generations Green Hill was revealed.

I'd say it's more polar than negative.

Sonic Colours and Generations Modern were not classic Sonic either, but one could make an argument that they are more sonic-y then this.

Then again someone could make the opposite argument but eh. 

They're "Sonicy" in the sense that they're fast...and that's about it.

I keep seeing this from people, worded as if being like the "classic Sonic mechanics" (which was actually in S1-3K, CD, SA1 and somewhat SA2, Pocket Adventure and all three Advance games somewhat) is a bad thing. I may have misinterpreted what you meant by saying that, but quite a bit of people here seem to hold some contempt to the thought of going back to it even in the smallest way. tongue.png

I didn't really mean anything by it, just a statement. I understand what the classic games mean to people and why those people are upset that the series still isn't using that type of style in a 3D plane. Its the same as the Adventure fans who the series to go back to the serious and dramatic stories of the period from SA1-Sonic 06 along with multiple characters.

I also understand that not everyone likes Classic Sonic or Adventure Sonic and are lot more free when it comes what the series could and should do. Because at this point, people just want a good game regardless of what era it caters to.

Really, I think the best judgement I could make would come from seeing more of the level designs and how they deliver. But that in turn would kind of spoil the game, wouldn't it? It still looks like it could be a really great game, and I'd probably love it when playing it, but like I said I'm not gonna be able to shake off the "Mushroom Kingdom Fusion" feel. (and by that I mean, playing as Sonic in a Mario game)

I keep seeing this from people, worded as if being like the "classic Sonic mechanics" (which was actually in S1-3K, CD, SA1 and somewhat SA2, Pocket Adventure and all three Advance games somewhat) is a bad thing. I may have misinterpreted what you meant by saying that, but quite a bit of people here seem to hold some contempt to the thought of going back to it even in the smallest way. tongue.png

These are the same responses I noticed from some people when Colors was a lot more platform heavy then Unleashed or most Sonic games before it and therefore more like Mario. This whole "Sonic in Mario" shitck can only extend so far, and while that may work for Colors to an extent, It really doesn't work here, because the way Sonic controls isn't anything I've seen in Mario (sure he can do some of this as separate action like walljump, backflip, etc. But not in one continuous motion).

And going back to classic style gameplay isn't a bad thing, but man I wish we could at least learn to move past it or just maybe not write of a gameplay style because it doesn't adhere to it exactly.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 2

I honestly don't care if it's not like the classics or Unleashed's boost system, it's about fucking time we got something different and SEGA starting to utilize Sonic's new abilities he's picked up on his journey through countless adventures, I''m just looking forward to playing something NEW from the franchise, I haven't been this excited for change since I got my first glimpse at Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 2

These are the same responses I noticed from some people when Colors was a lot more platform heavy then Unleashed or most Sonic games before it and therefore more like Mario. This whole "Sonic in Mario" shitck can only extend so far, and while that may work for Colors to an extent, It really doesn't work here, because the way Sonic controls isn't anything I've seen in Mario (sure he can do some of this as separate action like walljump, backflip, etc. But not in one continuous motion).

The backwards timer, the obvious Galaxy influence, the lack of slopes and much heavier emphasis on blocky-platforming. Not to mention the Wisps also being in this. Honestly, Colors wasn't very Mario-ish but the blockier platforming and Wisps made it so. Lost World, thanks to its newer changes combined, just make it even more remnant of Mario, so I don't know what you're talking about! I mean, it doesn't make it bad as a game, but it doesn't necessarily make it good either. Seems to play fine, though.

And going back to classic style gameplay isn't a bad thing, but man I wish we could at least learn to move past it or just maybe not write of a gameplay style because it doesn't adhere to it exactly.

>Move past it

bugs-bunnyreclining-499x367.jpg

"He don't know me very well, do he?"

I never asked for sticking exactly to the formula. All I wanted was for it to feel somewhat like the formula. Is that really too much to ask for, in fact so much that I should get over it and "move past it"? You start at one speed and accelerate to another. Its as simple as that! :v

tl;dr I'm sorry that I'm probably tainting your high you're getting from this game, but just because I'm not showing unending praise for this new turn of gameplay doesn't mean that I hate every aspect of it, nor that I should just get over it or something. I like it okay, but I'm unhappy! :v

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 4

I've noticed the word "feel" has been thrown around a lot.  "This doesn't 'feel' like a Sonic game" etc  But really, wouldn't a more suitable word be "seem"?  Feel is conclusive, like you've already played the game and actually have had the opportunity to experience how the game controls for yourself.  Seem offers more of an impression, like you're still open to actually discovering how it "feels" and then forming a proper conclusion from there.  I'm not trying to single out anyone here (if I was I would've quoted), just a general sort of issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

The backwards timer, the obvious Galaxy influence, the lack of slopes and much heavier emphasis on blocky-platforming. Not to mention the Wisps also being in this. Honestly, Colors wasn't very Mario-ish but the blockier platforming and Wisps made it so. Lost World, thanks to its newer changes combined, just make it even more remnant of Mario, so I don't know what you're talking about! I mean, it doesn't make it bad as a game, but it doesn't necessarily make it good either. Seems to play fine, though.

>Move past it

bugs-bunnyreclining-499x367.jpg

"He don't know me very well, do he?"

I never asked for sticking exactly to the formula. All I wanted was for it to feel somewhat like the formula. Is that really too much to ask for, in fact so much that I should get over it and "move past it"? You start at one speed and accelerate to another. Its as simple as that! :v

tl;dr I'm sorry that I'm probably tainting your high you're getting from this game, but just because I'm not showing unending praise for this new turn of gameplay doesn't mean that I hate every aspect of it, nor that I should just get over it or something.

Why should you care about this? It's your opinion, don't be ashamed to have it. You're not killing anyone's hype: people will have their thoughts and you'll have yours. 

Why is it that every criticism towards this game is met with such opposition on part of the majority who like it? I mean jeez, not everyone is required to fall in love with a new gameplay style just because everyone else did, nor should that opposition affect your excitement at all.

• Thumbs Up 4

I can already tell how its gonna play just by looking at the footage. Whether it ends up being loads of fun or a frustration to me is what my personal experience is going to do. XD

Also,

I just don't like how every time they try to find a new ground, they feel the need to reinvent the entire wheel, rather than keeping what works and replacing what doesn't. Unless if they think speed boosters and springs everywhere are what works.. tongue.png

I actually really like this about sega, I mean sure im gonna miss the boosting and level design that the last few games had but its always a treat for me when sega does something new and its what really sets them apart from other companies to me because they always do something unexpected, but I can see why some wouldn't like it.

Why is it that every criticism towards this game is met with such opposition on part of the majority who like it? I mean jeez, not everyone is required to fall in love with a new gameplay style just because everyone else did, nor should that opposition affect your excitement at all.

I really think you're over-exagerating, I'm not attacking anyone for not liking it (neither is anyone else who's looking forward to this game seems like), it's really just debating/arguing in a level headed manner :u

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I keep seeing this from people, worded as if being like the "classic Sonic mechanics" (which was actually in S1-3K, CD, SA1 and somewhat SA2, Pocket Adventure and all three Advance games somewhat) is a bad thing. I may have misinterpreted what you meant by saying that, but quite a bit of people here seem to hold some contempt to the thought of going back to it even in the smallest way. :P
There's the other side of the aisle where Sonic games that have come after the fact have been negatively compared to the classics regardless of whether or not the game in question was trying to emulate them in the first place, and this is seen as dismissive of what the game actually offers. It can feel like missing the forest for the trees, or that anything that doesn't adhere to classic mechanics is already coming out of the gate limping which people see as unfair to the game and practically stifling to dialogue and creativity. Looking through such a lens, indeed, why would people want to give classic mechanics a chance when perhaps some of their favorite ideas are being criticized primarily on the front? The critic in question is inherently not yielding any ground for compromise, so the natural reaction at that point is to say, "Fuck the classic games. I like this, it has merit too, it's fun to me and others, and that's that." While you'd be hard pressed to find someone who hates the classics on a mechanical level akin to Sonic 06, some of us are indeed tired of criticism towards the new games that feels and sounds like nothing more than "they changed it, so it sucks." Not saying you did this right now, but this is where I feel some of that contempt you see is coming from. xP
  • Thumbs Up 7

I really think you're over-exagerating, I'm not attacking anyone for not liking it (neither is anyone else who's looking forward to this game seems like), it's really just debating/arguing in a level headed manner :u

I never said anything about attacking :V I just notice this pattern that whenever somebody criticizes something that everyone seemingly likes, that person is generally under fire more. It happened when Dio called out Generations two years ago, and I remember how much shit he got for it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I never said anything about attacking :V I just notice this pattern that whenever somebody criticizes something that everyone seemingly likes, that person is generally under fire more. It happened when Dio called out Generations two years ago, and I remember how much shit he got for it. 

With respect to him, he calls out everything and he always takes flak for it. That's not something exclusive to Generations for him. 

There's the other side of the aisle where Sonic games that have come after the fact have been negatively compared to the classics regardless of whether or not the game in question was trying to emulate them in the first place, and this is seen as dismissive of what the game actually offers. It can feel like missing the forest for the trees, or that anything that doesn't adhere to classic mechanics is already coming out of the gate limping which people see as unfair to the game and practically stifling to dialogue and creativity. Looking through such a lens, indeed, why would people want to give classic mechanics a chance when perhaps some of their favorite ideas are being criticized primarily on the front? The critic in question is inherently not yielding any ground for compromise, so the natural reaction at that point is to say, "Fuck the classic games. I like this, it has merit too, it's fun to me and others, and that's that." While you'd be hard pressed to find someone who hates the classics on a mechanical level akin to Sonic 06, some of us are indeed tired of criticism towards the new games that feels and sounds like nothing more than "they changed it, so it sucks." Not saying you did this right now, but this is where I feel some of that contempt you see is coming from. xP

This pretty much rings true for me. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but it gets rather tiring when you're constantly seeing people dismiss something you genuinely like because it's "not comparable to the classics." In fact, I'm not the least bit surprised that's partially why I have a... "meh" opinion of the classic titles nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 4

Why should you care about this? It's your opinion, don't be ashamed to have it. You're not killing anyone's hype: people will have their thoughts and you'll have yours. 

I believe the quote below answers this:

Also,

Yeah, I know. And its rather irritating that my opinion on something as simple as accelerative movement is currently dismissed because people have got a lot of built up tension over it others saying its not comparing to the original titles. I mean I'm just as tired of that as everyone else is, but come on! Accelerating wasn't even exclusive to those games, either! I'm just getting rather miffed with how much opposition there is to my opposition, especially since I said I'd still find the game fun, and a neat title in its own right anyways. Geezus.

Either way, I'll stop and back away from the discussion. This is getting out of hand.

• Thumbs Up 1