Awoo.

IGN: A Tour of Sonic Lost World [Gameplay]

Carbo

Okay so...not main console 3D Mario games then? Because that's what I meant.

Does it really matter if it's on a main console or not? 3D Mario titles do have run buttons is the point he's making.

Edited by Stritix

Does it really matter if it's on a main console or not? 3D Mario titles have run buttons is the point. As do some of the 2D Mario titles.

But because Sonic now/finally has one (a character mostly known for going fast so a run button isn't that far fetched a concept) it immediately draws parallels to Mario? I don't really buy that. Not to mention the concept of a run button is such a general concept and so synonymous with a lot of other platformers that it just doesn't make a whole lot a sense to immediately trace it back to Mario.

• Thumbs Up 2

The argument that game draws resemblance to Mario doesn't only hinge on the existence of a run button.

Even if we assume this is true, what does it actually matter in the grand scheme of things? What is gained or lost by this game having Mario parallels?

• Thumbs Up 1

Likewise, sadly. But I still want to know how the spindash works. You know, whether or not it builds speed like rolling does. 

Also, complaints about twitchy controls be dammed. This sort of turn wouldn't be possible in past games.

LwU65Ef.gif

He slows down a little bit, but for the most part keeps his speed. Spindashing is faster than that but, like running in Unleashed/Colours/Generations, it nullifies Sonic's ability to turn and just lets him veer from side to side instead.

My God I could look at that gif all day, I've never seen Sonic's movement look so fluid and controllable in any 3D sonic game I have ever played wub.png

• Thumbs Up 6

But because Sonic now/finally has one (a character mostly known for going fast so a run button isn't that far fetched a concept) it immediately draws parallels to Mario? I don't really buy that. Not to mention the concept of a run button is such a general concept and so synonymous with a lot of other platformers that it just doesn't make a whole lot a sense to immediately trace it back to Mario.

I don't buy that either. The run/parkour button concept seems pretty original to me. The game does have some obvious inspirations from the Mario series, but it could be great. I'm really liking what I have seen so far. It just appeared that you misunderstood him so I attempted to clear up what he meant.

Does it matter if it looks like Mario which is about as a generic of comparison as you can possibly make? 

I swear to god, Sonic could have a fucking hat in one of his games and you guys would make Mario comparisons. It's getting old.

I'm not pushing the comparisons. That's really not what I'm doing here.

I'm not pushing the comparisons. That's really not what I'm doing here.

I know. Sorry if it seemed like I was attacking you.

Likewise, sadly. But I still want to know how the spindash works. You know, whether or not it builds speed like rolling does. 

Also, complaints about twitchy controls be dammed. This sort of turn wouldn't be possible in past games.

LwU65Ef.gif

He slows down a little bit, but for the most part keeps his speed. Spindashing is faster than that but, like running in Unleashed/Colours/Generations, it nullifies Sonic's ability to turn and just lets him veer from side to side instead.

Still looks a bit too instantaneous to me, as much as I appreciate the better turning. XD When making full 90 degree turns like that, I feel like there should be a very slight drag to his turn before darting off at the same speed in another direction. ( I know it sounds like useless nitpicking, but these are gonna be the important things when playing and controlling the game!)

I realllllly like how Sonic seems to keep his speed after jumping, though. Also, due to how the gif ends, I keep half-expecting to see Sonic roll really quickly down that slope. :v

Edited by Azookara

Still looks a bit too instantaneous to me, as much as I appreciate the better turning. XD When making full 90 degree turns like that, I feel like there should be a very slight drag to his turn before darting off at the same speed in another direction. ( I know it sounds like useless nitpicking, but these are gonna be the important things when playing and controlling the game! =p )

I always figured Sonic slowed/dragged a bit when the clouds of smoke created by his running speed temporarily disappeared while making the turn.

As ridiculously picky as this sounds, the drag there is so short its almost unnoticable anyways, so it still feels really instant. XD

The argument that game draws resemblance to Mario doesn't only hinge on the existence of a run button.

Even if we assume this is true, what does it actually matter in the grand scheme of things? What is gained or lost by this game having Mario parallels?

Yeah, my point on the last page had nothing to do with the run mechanics at all (sorry to quote you like this, but that first line is pretty apt to my reaction upon seeing the run button stuff after my post). I was more remarking on how Sonic jumping around parkour style and climbing ledges the way he looks to be seems more reminiscent of a game like Super Mario Sunshine (where Mario was also pretty athletic. Can't recall enough of Galaxy to say whether that also had Mario being pretty athletic though). Not to say that all of it looked like that, although the main difference (horizontal wall running) is something that's been in the Sonic franchise for over a decade anyway.

And I wasn't trying to slag off the gameplay for it either. I liked the way Sunshine utilised it, and the gameplay issues I've noticed in Lost World have nothing to do with the parkour traits. I was just saying how I felt on the parkour given quite a lot of people were saying that was the more Sonic aspect of the gameplay when I can't really agree.

I'm starting to wonder...

Would people care as much about the fast turning if we weren't used to drifting from Generations/Unleashed/etc?

LwU65Ef.gif

I was a but worried about it being twitchy or too sudden, but looking at that Gif it seems fine, he does slow down and accelerate out of the turn and (in my head when people were saying twitchy I thought they meant he turned literally 90 degrees on the spot) if you look he actually does have a nice little turning arc aswell, and that makes me happy!

I know. Sorry if it seemed like I was attacking you.

Don't worry. No harm done :)

I'm starting to wonder...

Would people care as much about the fast turning if we weren't used to drifting from Generations/Unleashed/etc?

Yes, because its not really what one game did and what didn't moreso than just common sense.

The faster you move, the more 'weight' you have being pushed in one direction, thus more tug and pull to the turn. Unleashed/Colors/Generations had it at a far extreme, but that doesn't mean it should be the polar opposite of that, either.

• Thumbs Up 4

As ridiculously picky as this sounds, the drag there is so short its almost unnoticable anyways, so it still feels really instant. XD

But you just said there should be "a very slight" drag, and there it is! Gawd!

I kid, obviously. Maybe it would serve the developers better if the drag was slightly more prevalent/noticeable.

I don't know, he really isn't moving too fast there, at least not to the point where that turn seems unrealistic. At the very least, it looks more natural than the Adventure games ... but, y'know, that's not saying much, so. :U

Still looks a bit too instantaneous to me, as much as I appreciate the better turning. XD When making full 90 degree turns like that, I feel like there should be a very slight drag to his turn before darting off at the same speed in another direction. ( I know it sounds like useless nitpicking, but these are gonna be the important things when playing and controlling the game!)

I realllllly like how Sonic seems to keep his speed after jumping, though. Also, due to how the gif ends, I keep half-expecting to see Sonic roll really quickly down that slope. :v

I know what you mean- it is too sharp. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have made the paths and Sonic's turning circle a bit wider. But I think it'll be fine in practice. This kind of twitchy control when jumping in the 3DS version is more of a problem though. 

bhZSHBl.gif

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 6

First thing I want to do upon getting the game, run around in precise little circles.  And it will be glorious.   

• Thumbs Up 4

It does seem pretty sharp, but I suppose I'll never even see it in practice, so who am I to judge? :U

I know what you mean- it is too sharp. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have made the paths and Sonic's turning circle a bit wider. But I think it'll be fine in practice. This kind of twitchy control when jumping in the 3DS version is more of a problem though. 

bhZSHBl.gif

Good God, what the hell. LOL

But yeah, that's what I was meaning to say. It seems way too sharp. That's the word. :v

The 3DS jumping reminds me of Sonic Adventure, only even worse 'cause now you can double jump, too! Oh, Dimps, you rascals.

Good God, what the hell. LOL

But yeah, that's what I was meaning to say. It seems way too sharp. That's the word. :v

You can't tell in the .gif, but if you watch the video again you'll see that Sonic does a double jump. Double jumping is still akin to Colours where it resets your control but retains all momentum if you're still holding the d-pad/analogue stick in any direction. It looks looser than even in LW 3DS though.

I think I would be more partial to sharp control than anything, because ideally I wouldn't want to have to settle for a particularly noticeable trade-off between speed and control. I'd like to go as fast as I can and maintain control if I already know the level layout and make those kinds of sharp turns, or at the very least have an opportunity to recover from a mistake through turning and double-jumping as in that 3DS gif. I dunno; I'll either be fine with it or loathe it in practice if it turns into a fight with Sonic- it's a toss up. But as I said before, the controls seem fine under the context of the game's level design thus far from what we've seen.

• Thumbs Up 1