Awoo.

IGN: A Tour of Sonic Lost World [Gameplay]

Carbo

Have people commented on this video? Because if no one did, I intend to. And I'm not happy about it.

I think the level drags on a little too much, but other than that it looks pretty decent.  Miles better than Dimps' "effort" in Sonic Generations.  I know that still isn't saying much.

Have people commented on this video? Because if no one did, I intend to. And I'm not happy about it.

Oh yeah, the level with a strip show going on in the background.

Looks creative, but frustrating.

Edited by Longshoreman X

I really don't think he turns too fast. He turns fast, but it's precise. Much better than Generations where Sonic felt like a car at times.

• Thumbs Up 1

Level design? Cool!

God no. It's everything Sonic 4 already had, except even more unnecessary. I'll just say some thoughts that occurred while I was watching.

00:08 - Cool. Got me wondering how you get that 5 rings... ring.

00:10 - ...What was that for?

00:35 - I find it cool that this section would be exactly the same if it had a spring and a curve. I suppose it does some teaching.

00:43 - Very insteresting! An alternative path accessed with the direct use of a badnik, and it's intuitive as well. Reminded me of... Okami, somehow.

01:02 - Now, this is what I don't like. An obligatory puzzle that doesn't depend on your skills with Sonic's specific abilities and, most importantly, inherent properties. It doen't help that I already dislike this hurricane-or-whatever ability, because it doesn't take your speed into account at all, not using his movement and bringing you to a halt. It's more counter-productive than the homing attack could ever hope to be. "That's only a theoretical preference", would you say, and it is. But can you please, just for this rant, leave your unwavering hope aside and think about you'd find better for Sonic to take advantage of the level design?

01:06 - A teleporter. That was... uncalled for. Breaks the flow and, unlike any other teleporter we've ever seen, has nothing to do with the stage. Of course pyramids could have teleporters, but this would take a creative effort in terms of how you depict this. They didn't even try.

01:07-01:15 - Might as well have had a huge DIMPS logo going on here and there would be no difference. It's just like them to do sections like this.

Oh, let me correct myself. This section introduces a mechanic I also didn't like, but that has potential: the ball that follows you.

01:19 - What's the point of this? They've already shown us how this works in a much more seamless way. Why would they make a puzzle like this? Making you go backwards for no reason at all.

01:30 - 01:43 - Twice.

01:47 - Now this is what I like. It's the same principle, except used in a way that you have to use your speed. It's a mini race. It's cool and it could be expanded. Having a ball that follows you and tells you that you have to be faster than it is a cool resource and would be put to very good use if it was used to lock alternative paths primarily.

02:10 - This is also a better use for this mechanic. Instead of simply locking the player in a room and forcing him to solve a logic puzzle, the games poses the question of how you are going to deal with your movement and the ball's movement at the same time, which is the right way to teach the player that, sometimes, not doing anything silly is the best option. However, I still don't like the fact that the game locks you here to say that. The level is feeling like a midterm exam for driving right now. There's no flow. At all.

02:18 - Sigh.

02:35 - 03:04 - 30 seconds of the worst kind of level design. You know what's cool about logic puzzles? They're easy to perform, but hard to figure out. What we have here is the completely opposite: absolutely cluttered and awkward, but easy to figure out. You don't even know what you're stepping on at some point and your reward is 10 rings - as if you didn't have enough already - that the game makes you lose right after that because it couldn't help but be a mess.

03:07 - Cool! A section like Sonic 1 (MS/GG)'s special stages... except it doesn't tell you that the springs are different from each other. So much fun stepping on exact clones that behave differently for no apparent reason!

03:40 - Another unecessary, stupid section that doesn't aggregate anything to what you know about the game, except, maybe, that fire shields protect you against fire.

03:51 - Speed is just blurred sightseeing if it doesn't lead you anywhere. It's cool that it makes you avoid a more dangerous way to cross the same path, but that teleporter was absolutely mood-breaking.

03:52 - 04:24 - By the gods. Not. Again. And even worse! Even though it's nice that the ball used the "go faster than me" approach, this was completely weird to see and, most likely, to play. You are rewarded for clearing the puzzle with... having your way blocked? And why does the ball on the bottom feel so useless? Who the hell designed this?

Oh, yes.

04:52 - ...What. Just... what. However, it's very nice to see that red ring there. Makes one wonder how to get it. However, also proves that the worst puzzle I've ever seen is also completely obligatory.

EDIT: "Oh Palas you're so nitpicky" - stay pressed. Level design is something to be cared about at each second, because what I feel from this level as a whole is a clusterfuck of checklists with no rhyme or reason to them.

Edited by Palas
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh Palas you're so nitpicky.

No really, that's more than I think anyone needed to know, and I'm not going back through the video to look at the specific parts that correlate to the times. It's a slower platforming stage, one that's more involved than just jumping across blocks (though it could do with less of those staircases) EDIT: Looking back it it, you can probably freerun up the staircases. I like it and think the puzzle looks fun.

What I can agree with you on is the teleporters. Take note of the timer when Sonic hits them- it stops. Same with the giant springs in Windy Hill. It's a way of hiding mid-level loading, and boy does it look cheap and jarring. It should really be a hell of a lot more subtle.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

I really don't think he turns too fast. He turns fast, but it's precise. Much better than Generations where Sonic felt like a car at times.

Again, one must find a middle ground in between nonsensical twitchness and the Boost trilogy. 

Desert Ruins Zone 2 reminds me of Marble Zone in it's slow pacing and puzzle elements. 

I like it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Desert Ruins Zone 2 reminds me of Marble Zone in it's slow pacing and puzzle elements. 

I like it.

Funny how this is the exact reason I dislike it...........

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't really have any problems with Sonic being able to turn sharply, so long as it doesn't become difficult to control. 

Well I can only speak personally here, but I found that perfectly satisfying because using it for speed-running showed mastery of the level and controls. You also didn't have to use it if you didn't want to.

I can understand having issues with spamming the spindash, but at least that offered you a choice. I can't exactly choose to have weight that feels satisfying and easy to control, in this case.  You either deal with it or... deal with it.

"Just don't do it" has always been a really lousy excuse for a poorly implemented mechanic. People have been saying this since the boost became a thing and it didn't hold water then, either. 

• Thumbs Up 2

...I don't see any resemblance, except for the block that you have to push to activate a switch. Death Egg has more elements in common with this, I guess.

Edited by Palas

No really, that's more than I think anyone needed to know, and I'm not going back through the video to look at the specific parts that correlate to the times. It's a slower platforming stage, one that's more involved than just jumping across blocks (though it could do with less of those staircases) EDIT: Looking back it it, you can probably freerun up the staircases. I like it and think the puzzle looks fun.

What I can agree with you on is the teleporters. Take note of the timer when Sonic hits them- it stops. Same with the giant springs in Windy Hill. It's a way of hiding mid-level loading, and boy does it look cheap and jarring. It should really be a hell of a lot more subtle.

One can only hope that this is because its a demo and that they are actively trying to improve it.

Again, I'd probably find the turning more jarring if Sonic was moving a lot faster, but as it is it doesn't look all that odd to me. I don't know, it might be awkward to control, but just from watching it, it actually looks pretty natural?

In any case, I really like how jumping seems to have some sort of momentum to it, which is good to see. I wonder if Spindashing and jumping might result in some ridiculous jumps, that'd be sweeeeet.

Don't really have any problems with Sonic being able to turn sharply, so long as it doesn't become difficult to control. 

"Just don't do it" has always been a really lousy excuse for a poorly implemented mechanic. People have been saying this since the boost became a thing and it didn't hold water then, either. 

Even earlier than that, really. Weapons in ShTH got that sort of "defense", and I wouldn't be surprised if people tried that sort of thing about other controversial stuff, such as the homing attack (that used to be controversial, right? it's been so long) ...

Edited by Celestia

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree. But it's at least a better argument than "deal with it".

Think of it this way - I thought the spindash was just fine and I had fun with it, despite it being easily exploitable. That exploitation made way for a lot of fun speedrunning, and I enjoyed my time playing with it. If you didn't like it, your complaints are perfectly valid. I fully admit that it's easily exploitable. That being said, you can ignore it if you want to.

In this case, we've switched sides. You like the turning, and I don't. It's all a matter of preference, so that's totally fine. The problem is, it literally isn't possible for me to ignore it, as it's such a basic, fundamental part of the game that it's impossible to play the game without simply "dealing with it".

If I can play Devil's Advocate for a moment - let's just say neither are okay. One can still be ignored while the other can't. That's the point I'm trying to make here.

and for the record I'd say the boost falls in the same category of "you can't ignore it", but I personally liked that gameplay style, myself.

I can't see platforming because it really isn't about waiting for the proper time to do the proper things. You can have slow platforming with flow, too. Heck, even Sonic 4 had interesting puzzles that took advantage of how you use Sonic's abilities without wasting your time.

Edited by Palas

I have never heard of another game franchise where gameplay videos and screenshots get dissected down to molecules like in here.

I feel like part of it is the deep love we have for this series, but at the same time, it can feel intoxicating.

I am taking every gameplay video and screenshot I see with a grain of salt. Judging a video based off how someone plays, especially Aaron Webber, who I know is a decent Sonic player, is too hasty for my taste.

Wait for the inevitable demo and then you'll hear from me. Nothing wrong with talking about your reactions, but let's not jump into conclusions please. Not until you actually play the game with your hands, be it at E3 or at home with the demo/final game.

And even though it sounds like I am pessimistic about it, I actually am looking forward to it. But I don't want to share how I feel watching someone else play; I want to feel Sonic with my own two hands, and that will be enough to set me free.

SET ME FREE

Edit: 777 posts! "Where's my rings, bitch?" (Breaking Bad reference, looking forward to that too)

Edited by tenchibr
  • Thumbs Up 2

Colours hardly had the jump dash either because of the double jump. You had the air boost mapped to jump > boost, which would become the jump dash when the gauge was empty. With no boost and no boost button, it's probably gone form this game completely.

It's a shame if so. I always quite enjoyed the jump dash. It seems to blend in with the homing attack more than the double jump. My boost bar in Colours was usually empty, making the jump dash a pretty useful tool for platforming sections as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a shame if so. I always quite enjoyed the jump dash. It seems to blend in with the homing attack more than the double jump. My boost bar in Colours was usually empty, making the jump dash a pretty useful tool for platforming sections as well.

Me too, but like I said, I wouldn't completely rule it out just yet. After all, just like with Generations, what we have seen could merely be an early build. And if not, if they realize the game could BENEFIT from said jump dash and they read comments like ours, I am sure they could beta test that.

I have never heard of another game franchise where gameplay videos and screenshots get dissected down to molecules like in here.

I feel like part of it is the deep love we have for this series, but at the same time, it can feel intoxicating.

I am taking every gameplay video and screenshot I see with a grain of salt. Judging a video based off how someone plays, especially Aaron Webber, who I know is a decent Sonic player, is too hasty for my taste.

Wait for the inevitable demo and then you'll hear from me. Nothing wrong with talking about your reactions, but let's not jump into conclusions please. Not until you actually play the game with your hands, be it at E3 or at home with the demo/final game.

And even though it sounds like I am pessimistic about it, I actually am looking forward to it. But I don't want to share how I feel watching someone else play; I want to feel Sonic with my own two hands, and that will be enough to set me free.

SET ME FREE

Edit: 777 posts! "Where's my rings, bitch?" (Breaking Bad reference, looking forward to that too)

Speaking of E3, is anyone from here gonna be at E3 perchance.

Again, one must find a middle ground in between nonsensical twitchness and the Boost trilogy. 

Except it's not nonsensically twitchy. Have you played Sonic Adventure?

Except it's not nonsensically twitchy. Have you played Sonic Adventure?

I have. It wasn't nonsensically twitchy either.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have. It wasn't nonsensically twitchy either.

More so than SLW.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hardly.

Then explain to me why Sonic can't run through a narrow hallway without crashing into walls as if they're magnets.

• Thumbs Up 6