Awoo.

IGN: A Tour of Sonic Lost World [Gameplay]

Carbo

Then explain to me why Sonic can't run through a narrow hallway without crashing into walls as if they're magnets.

That's not twitchy, that's just poor control.

If Sonic kept zipping from wall to wall instantaneously, then it'd be twitchy.

• Thumbs Up 1

.... He can?

I've never had a problem with Sonic Adventure's controls in any level other than Windy Valley's bullshit curve bridges.

• Thumbs Up 9

That's not twitchy, that's just poor control.

If Sonic kept zipping from wall to wall instantaneously, then it'd be twitchy.

Now you're just splitting hairs.

Sonic controlled like a meth tweak in Adventure. I thought that was something that was unanimously agreed upon. 

Whenever he wasn't confined to hallways, I found him to control just fine.

And you should know by now that nothing is unanimously agreed upon in this fanbase.

Edited by Longshoreman X

Twitchy this. Twitchy that. Please. Chill with the talk until you touch the game yourself. It may look twitchy but you could be soooo freaking wrong. 

The fuck is up with this random pop-up I keep getting on this site?

• Thumbs Up 2

It may look smooth but you could be soooooo freaking wrong.

I don't get the sentiment that when you see footage of something liking it based on the little bit of footage and making up your mind that 'this looks really awesome' is perfectly okay while people who see something that doesn't really look right to them is met with 'wait until you can actually play it'. How about we all just not feel anything right now and be totally neutral on everything rolleyes.gif .

Seriously though, people can be excited and people can be repulsed by what they see. I don't see a problem with people being negative about things as long as they aren't telling the people who are excited for it that they're stupid for liking it and vice versa. If some of us want to claim it looks twitchy, that's fine. If others want to say it looks really smooth - that's fine. Who cares? We're all making assumptions on the same footage as it is.

Edited by Meow
  • Thumbs Up 2

I just wanted to come in and say that anyone who claims that Sonic Adventure was twitchy (especially more than SLW) beyond its highest speed movement is full of poop, because that game controlled for the most part pretty tightly; until you got too fast to control right (which would've only required coding to tighten the movement at high speed).

Anyways, I finally got to see all of this gameplay stuff in 1080p and I gotta say it looks better than it did before. I think I'm getting used to how it looks to control, but it looks really fun and a good base in some cases for Sonic in 3D from now on, although it seems to miss some other marks (which have yet to be proven, since only seeing three levels and all). 

• Thumbs Up 5

Alrighty, I'm just going to get this out of the way; I'm not part of the analytical group about this game as many of you are. While I do like to read the many opinions on the game as a whole here, some I don't agree with or not understanding, I still like to read them and take in what I can. That being said, maybe I'm ignorant, but despite what others have seen as criticisms I don't....see them. Well, I don't put a lot of effort into identifying them anyway. Maybe I'm just not as deep-rooted about Sonic games and just play for the fun of it. Like, I can see where you all are coming don't know if that's a bad thing. Don't get me wrong; those who have issues with the current look of the game have every right to voice their opinion about it. Likewise for those who are liking what they seeing; they have every right to voice their own opinions on it. I try to get into that mindset of getting taking piece by piece of Sonic game footage to feel that way about how the game function based on what we have, I just can't be bothered with it. Maybe because I think the game's experience will be ruined for me or something. Not sure if that's a problem but hey. I hope I'm wording this right and not making enemies or anything.

Other than the dashpads (are they back in full force I tell ya) I am really excited for both versions. I did have more attention towards the 3DS version though (don't hurt me) only because that is the console I own out of the two versions. In any case, the visuals and homages/throwbacks from past games made me smile and what I saw of the gameplay I liked. I don't know about you all, but I'm way going to go with this new gameplay is more like an experimentation phase for the series if anything. 

• Thumbs Up 3

It may look smooth but you could be soooooo freaking wrong.

I don't get the sentiment that when you see footage of something liking it based on the little bit of footage and making up your mind that 'this looks really awesome' is perfectly okay while people who see something that doesn't really look right to them is met with 'wait until you can actually play it'. How about we all just not feel anything right now and be totally neutral on everything rolleyes.gif .

Seriously though, people can be excited and people can be repulsed by what they see. I don't see a problem with people being negative about things as long as they aren't telling the people who are excited for it that they're stupid for liking it and vice versa. If some of us want to claim it looks twitchy, that's fine. If others want to say it looks really smooth - that's fine. Who cares? We're all making assumptions on the same footage as it is.

To be fair when you're talking about how the actual game controls that's really something you can't completely judge on just visually, whether it be positive or negative. But I digress.

Homing attack... sad.png I'm starting to think it will forever replace precision jumping at this point. Still, overall it look really fun - I like the less realistic areas, even if it looks somewhat bland compared to say, Generations.

Edited by hangarninetysix

Homing attack... sad.png I'm starting to think it will forever replace precision jumping at this point. Still, overall it look really fun - I like the less realistic areas, even if it looks somewhat bland compared to say, Generations.

There's nothing wrong with the homing attack. Seriously the only way to jump on stationary(or ground)enemies in 3D Sonic games is to stop and jump on them. Why bother to attack them then.

I just wanted to come in and say that anyone who claims that Sonic Adventure was twitchy (especially more than SLW) beyond its highest speed movement is full of poop, because that game controlled for the most part pretty tightly; until you got too fast to control right (which would've only required coding to tighten the movement at high speed).

Except that the game is intended to be played at high speeds, since it's Sonic, so...

There's nothing wrong with the homing attack. Seriously the only way to jump on stationary(or ground)enemies in 3D Sonic games is to stop and jump on them. Why bother to attack them then.

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Why would you have to stop? Couldn't it be designed fairly easily so that the player times his jump properly while running in order to hit the enemy and maintain momentum? I feel like this offers a range of possible outcomes in momentum as opposed to pushing A and then losing all your speed. It's just the loss of momentum based gameplay that bothers me. Homing attack feels very binary.

The homing attack was introduced to make jumping on enemies (especially above pots and such) easier in a 3D plane, they could do it easily that it maintains your momentum, but honestly unless the game wants to be about pinball physics and momentum based gameplay then there is simply no need to make the HA conserve momentum

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Why would you have to stop? Couldn't it be designed fairly easily so that the player times his jump properly while running in order to hit the enemy and maintain momentum? I feel like this offers a range of possible outcomes in momentum as opposed to pushing A and then losing all your speed. It's just the loss of momentum based gameplay that bothers me. Homing attack feels very binary.

Maybe in the Sonic Adventure games where it was easier to do it while still running because you're at slower speeds(most enemies in those game were air born anyway.)In Sonic Unleashed - Generations to do it while still running you really need good timing to do it on ground enemies, easier to do on air born enemies that aren't above pits because when coming into a chain of air born enemies you'll always hit the 1st one while jumping into it and if you can time it well enough you can do a badnik bounce even. The homing attack can be adjusted to have more vertical movement instead of horizontal movement they just don't do it, why I'm not really sure. Plus it doesn't seem like there'll be enemy chains in Lost World so you won't need to use it all that much. Another thing to mention is in almost all the times you actually NEED to use the H.A. you're not gonna be in places that you need to go all that fast(Enemy chains above pits and small platforms with a bunch of enemies).

• Thumbs Up 1

Jumping on enemies in 3D is significantly harder than in 2D, and doing it while going fast (as Sonic should) makes it even harder still. I don't think it's viable to make a 3D Sonic without some sort of guidance to hit enemies.

And the homing attack doesn't need to bring you to a dead stop. Homing attacking balloons in recent games bounces you forward; there's no reason that can't be applied to enemies as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

Jumping on enemies in 3D is significantly harder than in 2D, and doing it while going fast (as Sonic should) makes it even harder still. I don't think it's viable to make a 3D Sonic without some sort of guidance to hit enemies.

And the homing attack doesn't need to bring you to a dead stop. Homing attacking balloons in recent games bounces you forward; there's no reason that can't be applied to enemies as well.

I really like the new HA for purposes of not bringing you to a dead stop when hitting lots of enemies. It's faster than it's ever been. But Sonic should still keep going afterwards.

OK, here is my solution: Are you gonna be using the run triggers while you're jumping? Maybe just to keep the parkour mode enabled, but why not add that tier style to HA?

No triggers pressed: Sonic's HA does not propel him forward after hit (Colors);

One trigger: Sonic's HA propels him forward slightly (Balloons in Rooftop Run);

Both: Sonic's HA propels him further (To keep that speed going).

I'm probably in the minority here but, how exactly did the homing attack in unleashed through generations make you stop and why does it matter, its never really even been much of a problem for me but i'd like to know why its a problem.

I'm probably in the minority here but, how exactly did the homing attack in unleashed through generations make you stop and why does it matter, its never really even been much of a problem for me but i'd like to know why its a problem.

When you hit an enemy with the homing attack, you stop moving. Simple.

And when you use the jump dash, you lose all speed. Also simple.

Edited by Blue Jet

When you hit an enemy with the homing attack, you stop moving. Simple.

And when you use the jump dash, you lose all speed. Also simple.

Well, I get the jump dash and its not like you stop completely when you home attack (if anything he actually goes a little fast after a homing attack than in sonic heroes and sonic adventure).

Well, I get the jump dash and its not like you stop completely when you home attack (if anything he actually goes a little fast after a homing attack than in sonic heroes and sonic adventure).

No, he doesn't. The homing attack stops you moving entirely. YOu can be blasdting through the stage at top speed, and then one you HA- BOOM! Dead stop. No which way about it.

No, he doesn't. The homing attack stops you moving entirely. YOu can be blasdting through the stage at top speed, and then one you HA- BOOM! Dead stop. No which way about it.

your sure we're talking about the same game cause sonic can still move in the air after a homing attack and just keep on running afterwards.

your sure we're talking about the same game cause sonic can still move in the air after a homing attack and just keep on running afterwards.

1. Sonic is running fast.

2. Sonic jumps while moving fast.

3. Sonic homes on an enemy.

4. Sonic's speed hits zero.

5. Sonic has to speed up again when he hits the ground.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wish the HA were more like the Speed Thok from SRB2, just with homing capabilities.