Awoo.

IGN: A Tour of Sonic Lost World [Gameplay]

Carbo

Very excited about what's been shown so far. The game looks a truckload more discernible than Generations and Unleashed ever looked like, and unlike those games it's clear that the game places much more focus on the game feel than visuals. All the angles and the level design make it clear that it's a game you're supposed to get the feel for before you blaze through it, and I love that in games.

The balance in level designs also has me excited, which also reminds me a lot of Galaxy. Some stages are fully 3D with areas to explore while, some are purely 2D to pave way for some creative design gimmicks and finally there's some that are race-like. I'm quite a fan of that division because it ensured in Galaxy that despite the most basic setup, there's a ton of variety and things that the game designers can take liberties with, and all the alternate paths make me pretty giddy.

Some things I'm skeptical about, the Wisps for one. But it seems like it's all alternate this time around, and who knows. They might be fun. It's all a context issue, just like the power ups in Galaxy.

Overall, very excited. I'm glad to see a Sonic game that looks like it feels good to play and isn't just obscured by flashy speeds and effects. And it also feels good that I can finally play a modern Sonic game that isn't going put a wall to break the flow while I boost in the first level.

• Thumbs Up 7

The presence of the wisps is jarring as all fuck, but other than that, this looks fantastic.

Yeah but from the looks of it...they seem to just BE there as compared to being an essential part of the game. They are much like every other power up Sonic had before now.

If you don't like it don't use it 8p.

As I have said on the other forum, this all looks awesome! Can't wait to hear more about both versions of the game!

It looks like a retooled Frenzy mixed with Hover. Boring, boring boring.

If I didn't know any better, I'd have thought you didn't like the Wisps. :P

The Wisp I've taken to calling the Indigo/Saturn Wisp looks intriguingly akin to the Purple and Violet Wisps of Colours in that it's power appears to be gravity-based but is different in that it doesn't have the 'eating' aspect of the Purple and Violet ones and the 'Indigo' Wisp doesn't look Nega-esque i.e It isn't eyeless and doesn't have a jagged black mouth.

Very interesting, wonder if there's any more new Wisps.

For story purposes, the Frenzy and Void wisp are probably going to be a no-show, so if there was ever any space for a new wisp, it would have to be one that could fill the collective "void" left behind by those two, which this Saturn wisp does nicely.

He's hoping they went the extra mile to make all new wisps.

I actually got impressed by the first act of Wind Hill on the 3DS, it may show less paths, but hell, it's pretty open with a lot of obstacles and 3D platforming. The Wii U looks prettier of course, but the gameplay just... I dunno, I'm gonna re-watch it.

And I can't get enough of Wind Hill music, looks like Rooftop Run had a baby with Palmtree Panic or something <3

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ah! On second watching, Sonic only appears to sweat when doing that stepping move whilst doing his Parkour. Maybe only stepping has limitations and not the simple wall-running?

I thought Void was the by-product of mixing Frenzy and Hover.

How many different products can we get from Frenzy and Hover?

I don't want to give the Mario comparisons weight but... jeez... in the 3DS desert trailer it looks like there's a Warp Pipe in the level.

• Thumbs Up 1

He was consuming badniks and stage geometry. You can do some pretty cool stuff with that kind of combination

(and there was more Void in there than frenzy, and between the fans, eating the T-rex skull and clever floating platforming, Void had great implementation in the 3DS game)

I really like Windy Hill Act 1 but the other two are kind of weird. I'm not getting how these are Desert Ruins....the speed tunnel level looks more like it would belong in Windy Hill than in Desert Ruins. Gameplay looks good for the most part but I wasn't a fan of the 2D candy level. Too automated and too much blocky Colors-style platforming

• Thumbs Up 5

I dunno about you guys but I just kept watching the "tour" internally shouting "DAT___" at pretty much everything. I mean that Desert ruins level. Here I was expecting Mario's Cake Desert thing or whatever its called but holy fuck it was like Sweet Mountain on Crack. Sweeeeeeet, no pun intended. I mean, just everything looks so gooooood. 

And DAT 3DS version. Watching the Wind Hill footage I found myself almost forgetting it was 3DS game. I mean Dimps coming back should be a boner killer, but it looks like they're bringing their A-game to this one, the level design looks a lot more clever and less half-assed than their usual stuff lately. 

So yeah, hype!

• Thumbs Up 4

I can barely even form an objective opinion.  This is EVERYTHING I love about Sonic.  I was initially concerned by the fact that it seems slower, but... it looks marvelous!  I just... too amazing!

I need a Wii U so badly now!  So, so, so, so badly!!

(Although I can understand the complaints about it being dizzying, it's not a problem for me!)

I can barely even form an objective opinion.  This is EVERYTHING I love about Sonic.  I was initially concerned by the fact that it seems slower, but... it looks marvelous!  I just... too amazing!

(Although I can understand the complaints about it being dizzying, it's not a problem for me!)

Same here, and now it makes even happier I decided to buy a wii-u!

I really like Windy Hill Act 1 but the other two are kind of weird. I'm not getting how these are Desert Ruins....the speed tunnel level looks more like it would belong in Windy Hill than in Desert Ruins. Gameplay looks good for the most part but I wasn't a fan of the 2D candy level. Too automated and too much blocky Colors-style platforming

"DESSERT Ruins/ Desert Ruins" ....think outside the box 8p...

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the dizziness factor varies from person to person.

As for me, it looks nice! The spin dash returning, the parkour style, Dimps looking like they're putting effort into the 3DS version, all promising signs so far! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Well it was interesting, though I can't say I'm really all that excited about the game. It looks better than Unleashed and Generations but that's not me saying much because I didn't really enjoy those games that much either.

Edited by Noel
  • Thumbs Up 1

No one's gonna point out that the Bounce Attack is back?

I honestly didn't notice this "bounce" attack.

I think the dizziness factor varies from person to person.

The thing with this. I do not suffer from motion sickness. I have been old wild rides out of my control, I have played hundreds if not thousands of games and done stupid crazy shit in them.

This is the first time or a LONG time I have felt a bit dizzy or sick when looking at a game.

Now it was only affecting me during Windy Hill Zone, and I think it's due to the way that zone is constructed since none of the other videos have made me feel dizzy.

So I think this might end up being a problem for some people, unless the dizzy effects are not so bad if you're playing the game and you know which way the stage will move since you control it.

Were the Elemental Shields downgraded in the 3DS version?