Awoo.

IGN: A Tour of Sonic Lost World [Gameplay]

Carbo

Actually, you know what's really intriguing?

During the 12-minute preview, Aaron reveals a secret where you fall, presumably to your death, but instead find yourself in a barrel where you are launched sideways, through a trail of rings, to another barrel which launchs you to another trail of rings, and then the process repeats until you're finally directed to a barrel that takes you onto solid ground.  Now, perhaps this is actually a more common game trope than I'm familiar with, but to me it seems very reminiscent of a very particular game.  A game that just so happens to be one of my favorite SNES games of all time.

D9pOsQCl.jpg

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It also reminds me of that one part in Asteroid Coaster Act... 2? when you have to go under some platforms to a bunch of springs to get to a red ring.

Now, Azu's in-depth analysis of Sonic Lost World.

Gameplay:

I'm really not sure what to think. 

I don't like the automation one bit. Nor do I like the fact that Sonic is stopping, going and turning on a dime. I didn't like the way Heroes played for those exact reasons and I feel like its really gonna leave a mark on this game for me. D: 

The actual parkour mechanics and Spin Dash returning is really great, though. See, I love the actual concepts behind this but it looks like its really flawed. The amount of dash pads, cannons and springs aren't really helping. Kinda sucks that the less graphically impressive one (the 3DS version) looks better to me!

At least I can say this still looks like its a lot of good fun. Just not what I want from a Sonic game. For the love of God, though, please keep doing the parkour and Spindash things though, Sega. Best ideas you've had in a while, just needs to be executed well enough. XD

Visuals:

Looks really nice. A bit strange, but really nice. Hoping this is a one-time-only thing though, regardless. The abstract style is nice but I don't really want Sega to get too caught up on the idea and keep using it if it's gonna look a lot like this, really. I can trust it being just this game for being that one bizzare Sonic-in-Space title though.

Loving the cues towards the classic stuff, though.

Level Design:

The interesting parts look a bit too automated for their own good, and with that I'm very worried. Wisps don't seem like a big deal either (UFO wisp was surprisingly amazing). Other than that, its nice, open and very platformy, and while its not really slope-based either, it seems to make use of what it gives rather well. I'll bite, its cool for the most part. 

Music:

I think its pretty amazing. I don't really know what else to say since thats just how Sonic music is. XD

And with that, that's about all I can say on the game right now. I really hope it gets better as time goes on, and/or there are some tweaks and fixes to Sonic's movement! This game does still look really good, but I think my hype has gone from hype to cautious optimism.

• Thumbs Up 9

60FPS

There hasn't been a console Sonic game that ran at 60FPS since Shadow

oh god oh god oh god oh god I can't wait

• Thumbs Up 9

Watched the clip...

This sooooo isn't the Sonic game I thought I was looking for...but it's a step towards its direction. Of course that Wii-U is still gonna have to wait, unfortunately.

• Thumbs Up 5

Looks interesting, but.........

The movement is all wrong. I feel almost sorry to say that Generations had more nuanced movement than this game appears to have, which is weird. Why can you turn 90 degrees on a dime, with no loss of speed? Why? That doesn't enhance control, it just makes it easier for you to lose control. It'd be like going full pelt to the right in Sonic 3, then when you press left, instead of gradually slowing to a halt, before changing direction, you suddenly and explosively change direction with no loss of speed.

The 3D equivalence which is turning full on 180 is still there, since it's visible that Sonic screeches to a halt when trying to turn fully backwards. It's also visible that Sonic going beyond 90 ever so slightly slows him down.

Sonic being more "snappy" is something I actually dig. It makes me feel more responsible for his control and I hated how floaty he was in previous games. But I do agree that I don't like him stopping on a dime.

• Thumbs Up 4

I just noticed in the 3DS version of Wind Hill that Sonic appears to sweat if the parkour ability is used a lot. Maybe there's a limitation to how much it can be used?

I thought he was sweating because he struggling at a small space/about to fall.

The parkour like stuff is interesting, but a little too....binary....if you could call it that. It doesn't make sense to me that Sonic, is abruptly able to run up a vertical wall, just by pressing the run button and moving towards it. Again it doesn't look right. You should need to first, build up some speed, and then perhaps time a button press to properly jump onto the surface you want to run on.

Maybe that is a little too hard, but surely it wouldn't be too difficult to get used to. Right now it just seems a little too easy.

Well the 3DS version seems to have that covered. Sonic definitely seems to struggle when wall running at slower speed (he starts panicking like he's about to fall off the wall) and there are a handful of times the player will use a dash panel or a spindash to rapidly build up speed a split second before attempting to dash up a wall.

It looks like you will have to carry some kind of momentum into walls to get them to work right.

So, going with 1) the idea that Grimmace is the guardian of the desert region and 2) the likelihood of the Deadly Six playing more of a role in the game's story than just appearing as bosses at the end of this or that region. I think I might have an idea of how the two levels we've seen link up.

So, what I'm thinking is that the story of the area is that it starts out with you thinking that you're about to head into just another desert level, but then Sonic gets ambushed by Grimmace and devours him. Thus having DR1 taking place in his stomach, explaining the sudden and random amount of sweets in the location.

After reaching the end of that level, Sonic would finds a means of escaping, possibly by making Grimmace gag, or just something that ends up launching him substantially high up, which leads into DR2. Seeing as DR2 mainly consists of a speedy Going Down segment, it'd make sense to have the story basis of the level follow getting launched high into the air, plus some of the plants in the area are somewhat remniscent of plants you'd find in the desert like cacti

Actually, you know what's really intriguing?

During the 12-minute preview, Aaron reveals a secret where you fall, presumably to your death, but instead find yourself in a barrel where you are launched sideways, through a trail of rings, to another barrel which launchs you to another trail of rings, and then the process repeats until you're finally directed to a barrel that takes you onto solid ground.  Now, perhaps this is actually a more common game trope than I'm familiar with, but to me it seems very reminiscent of a very particular game.  A game that just so happens to be one of my favorite SNES games of all time.

D9pOsQCl.jpg

That was exactly what I thought of.

And it made me happy, for I love DKC.

Wow, that 3DS version looks miles more fun than the Wii U version. The 3D sections sort of remind me of SA1 in terms of how they control, but with more interesting level design. The jumping from wall to wall looked really fun, and I liked how smooth it all looked. It looked like it'd be a lot of fun to play. The 2D levels feel like an interesting hybrid of the classics and the more fast, speedrun-based gameplay we've gotten more recently. I can dig it. I didn't really care for the "stop to solve this puzzle" areas, but it seemed like a level gimmick, so as long as they do something interesting with each level I'm totally cool with it. 

Also the Desert Ruins 2 music in the 3DS version was jazzy as fuck. AWESOME.

I think I might actually pick up the 3DS version. Not at all jealous I'll be missing out on the Wii U one, either. I hope this isn't a style they stick with in the future.

Edit -

Oh, and I don't like the turning one bit in the Wii U version. Windy Hill was fucking nauseating. I feel like I'd get headaches playing it extensively, and the only other game that's ever done that to me was Heroes.

Edited by Discoid
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm noticing a lot of people seem to dislike the way Sonic "turns on a dime."  I guess I can see why that might be a problem, but in all honesty...

I think it's great.  I hated the Drift in Unleashed and onwards.  You'd expect Sonic to be able to turn a lot easier as he's been running at such insane speeds presumably all his life.  Plus, I just hated having to do the Drift.  The easier turning is only a good thing if you ask me.

The 3D equivalence which is turning full on 180 is still there, since it's visible that Sonic screeches to a halt when trying to turn fully backwards. It's also visible that Sonic going beyond 90 ever so slightly slows him down.

Sonic being more "snappy" is something I actually dig. It makes me feel more responsible for his control and I hated how floaty he was in previous games. But I do agree that I don't like him stopping on a dime.

The movement just looks too sporadic. Snappier controls are useful. Generations and Unleashed were a little too heavy. Like controlling a speedboat. However here, its like Sonic's a housefly, buzzing around. At times it looked like Webber was fighting for a little more control.

I'm noticing a lot of people seem to dislike the way Sonic "turns on a dime."  I guess I can see why that might be a problem, but in all honesty...

I think it's great.  I hated the Drift in Unleashed and onwards.  You'd expect Sonic to be able to turn a lot easier as he's been running at such insane speeds presumably all his life.  Plus, I just hated having to do the Drift.  The easier turning is only a good thing if you ask me.

Problem is control. It looks like a slight flick of the analogue stick rapidly changes your direction. Its basically the logical and extreme opposite of Unleashed and Generations. That's too far, needs to be happy medium between the two. Some kind of fluidity would be a bit better.

Someone described it best when they said that Sonic should control a bit like a marble.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 3

60FPS

There hasn't been a console Sonic game that ran at 60FPS since Shadow

oh god oh god oh god oh god I can't wait

Sonic 06 did run at 60FPS.

Edited by KrazyBean

I like how Sonic can run up the trees of all things. Now he can control more smoothly as he goes forward.

It's good they've been paying attention to the complaints about the boost and I kinda like the precision in the control and speed this game has, so rather than just bolting through the level, we're given more paths and more control on how fast we want to move.

That last level looked like Sonic 06 Mach stages, but surprisingly better by comparison. Although that's not something I find praiseworthy, and I'm also not sure about the automation in some parts.

Still waiting on details for the story. They seem to have been getting it wrong since Heroes and only recently have they started being more careful, but this story is making me skeptical...

Wow, that 3DS version looks miles more fun than the Wii U version. 

I just don't......see how at all. The level design is less, hell it was pretty obvious with the fences they put up so you're only allowed half the cylinder instead of all of it, the Desert Labyrinth level was pretty mediocre with lots of tight spaces and stopping and going.....

I mean, it still looks good for a 3DS port, but compared to the Wii U version? I don't really see it.

• Thumbs Up 6

I didn't like the drift in Unleashed, but I far prefer Generations' over this. It seriously makes me feel dizzy. It's so jarring to see him turn like that.

There is a clear line between easier turning and taking a 90 angle at full speed. One feels natural, or even balanced. The other is a middle finger to the laws of physics (inb4 cartoon hedgehog quip)

Being able to turn at that kind of ridiculous angle changes the way you approach the game a little bit. It also lets the devs throw some seriously dickish speed platforming sections at you in later parts of the game.

I can hear the cheap death rants already...

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 2

"The run animation looks like Sonic CD's figure of eight".

"Precision platforming".

Slower gameplay with tighter controls.

I can't stop drooling right now. Wow it looks like a really good game.

Edited by -Bender- Super King

Sonic 06 did run at 60FPS.

When it wanted to.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the smooth framerate return, it will definitely go well with the visuals.

I just don't......see how at all. The level design is less, hell it was pretty obvious with the fences they put up so you're only allowed half the cylinder instead of all of it, the Desert Labyrinth level was pretty mediocre with lots of tight spaces and stopping and going.....

I mean, it still looks good for a 3DS port, but compared to the Wii U version? I don't really see it.

It's kind of hard to put into words, but I think the most important part is that it didn't make me dizzy, haha. It felt, to me, like a new take on established Sonic gameplay, whereas the Wii U version was so jarringly different that it just felt... off. There's also the fact that Sonic's running controls seem much more smooth and manageable in the 3DS version to me. I like the way Scar put it - he turns like a fucking housefly. I don't like it at all.

The other levels just seemed dull whereas the 2D 3DS levels looked like a mix of classic and modern. I like it. Wii U's 2D was blocky as fuck (more so than Colors) and just... boring.

• Thumbs Up 1

If there's one thing I don't like though, it's support mode...

I mean, second player controls a radio controlled Tails built gadget? Just let'em play as Tails fer God's sake! I mean I ain't one who's too fussed about other characters, but seriously, why can't they just give player 2 Tails?

• Thumbs Up 8

There is a clear line between easier turning and taking a 90 angle at full speed. One feels natural, or even balanced. The other is a middle finger to the laws of physics 

Being able to turn at that kind of ridiculous angle changes the way you approach the game a little bit. It also lets the devs throw some seriously dickish speed platforming sections at you in later parts of the game.

I can hear the cheap death rants already...

Fair enough.  I can see the problem with that.  But it doesn't come across as problematic to me.  To me it looked a lot more natural (in a cartoony sort of way), but then I'm not very observant.

Also you don't need screwy turning to put in cheap obstacles.  Eggmanland in Sonic Unleashed Wii was absolutely tripe because of its 90-degree turns in a game where turning in any magnitude was a chore.  But then, Sonic Unleashe Wii was absolute tripe compared to its HD counterparts anyway, but that's a whole other can of worms.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, you people actually prefer the Dimps game? XP Then again the 3DS version does look impressive, MILES better than Generations on 3DS anyway!

Anyways, the Wii U version looks tons of fun to play and the gameplay is very unique! I don't know why most feel nauseous with the cylinder shaped platforms in Windy Hill. Guess I'm the only one who doesn't then...

Btw I love the Desert Labyrinth music. Kicks ass! <3

• Thumbs Up 1

He only seems to turn like a housefly when you're in the run modes. Other than that, he's slightly quicker than his jogging pace in Unleashed's hub worlds if you ask me.