Awoo.

IGN: A Tour of Sonic Lost World [Gameplay]

Carbo

That parkour button is a bit worrying to me. Okay alright we've been used to the boost system for a long time, and that shit was overpowered beyond anything, and yes this new system defintly better than that without a question. I would have still prefered however if it didn't instantly take sonic to full speed. Basically I would have prefered if there was a sense of momentum. Like even if you press the parkour button, it should have still taken some time to build up the speed.

Anyway having said that. The game looks amazing. Homing attack looks less overpowered. Its reach is a little smaller and the actual attack isn't instant anymore, but slow and goes in a curve instead. There's great balanced decisions like that the second double jump, makes sonic go from a ball back to a vulnerable state again. Subtle things like that is what I apreciate. Seems well thought out. The fact the homing attack, attacks multiple enemies seems a bit weird, but then again, all we would do instead is mash the button or boost through them in previous games

Now my only concern is how or not automated the level design will be. Dimps 3ds version so far looks great in 3d, but in 2d it looks terrible

It's kind of hard to put into words, but I think the most important part is that it didn't make me dizzy, haha. It felt, to me, like a new take on established Sonic gameplay, whereas the Wii U version was so jarringly different that it just felt... off. There's also the fact that Sonic's running controls seem much more smooth and manageable in the 3DS version to me. I like the way Scar put it - he turns like a fucking housefly. I don't like it at all.

The other levels just seemed dull whereas the 2D 3DS levels looked like a mix of classic and modern. I like it. Wii U's 2D was blocky as fuck (more so than Colors) and just... boring.

I felt the 2D 3DS level was much more blocky.

• Thumbs Up 2

The levels are still being designed very broadly, and Sonic doesn't seem like he really gets up to any speeds where overly-precise turns will be a death wish. It can be an annoyance factor depending on what you want, but it's coming across as a deal-breaker for me. I'm more concerned about the difficulty curve than anything. For the love of God, I don't want to be able to blaze through this thing with the same skill level I had going into it. A level difficulty stagnates the feeling of progression, and unfortunately it's something I don't think we'll get any real confirmation on until the thing is out. Right now, that is my biggest worry.

That was perhaps my biggest complaint with Colors...

Yet for some reason, I seem to the minority in that regard.  Everyone who got the game before me was quick to report on how asinine the difficulty curve was, but I thought it stayed pretty consistent the whole way through.  For that reason, along with the general shortness and repetitive nature of the game, Colors has probably the least replay value of any main series Sonic game to me.

• Thumbs Up 2

I felt the 2D 3DS level was much more blocky.

You think so? I liked how heavily implemented the parkour was, myself, along with how it fit the level's gimmick. 

Granted, if every level is like that, it's a different story entirely.

I don't mind a bit of a challenge myself, so it would be good to get some tougher levels later on the game. Sonic games have been too easy nowadays so I'd like to see more of that in SLW.

But I don't want to see a return to Eggmanland difficulty curve thank you very much. =P

That was perhaps my biggest complaint with Colors...   Yet for some reason, I seem to the minority in that regard.  Everyone who got the game before me was quick to report on how asinine the difficulty curve was, but I thought it stayed pretty consistent the whole way through.  For that reason, along with the general shortness and repetitive nature of the game, Colors has probably the least replay value of any main series Sonic game to me.
Both Colors and Generations are like this to me, and it made the later acts just so underwhelming. Even if a game has a shitty difficulty curve, I still feel some sense of progression and accomplishment as I'm tackling later levels. A non-existent one can sink the enjoyability factor of a game completely even if it started out fine. I'm hoping that's not the case here, because Sonic Team has a new design philosophy that can allow for some really twisted and potentially sadistic stuff, and I hope they take advantage of it. Don't let tree running die in vain. ;~;
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't mind a bit of a challenge myself, so it would be good to get some tougher levels later on the game. Sonic games have been too easy nowadays so I'd like to see more of that in SLW.

But I don't want to see a return to Eggmanland difficulty curve thank you very much. =P

I would love that. Massive, obnoxious, over the top final levels that make you hate the world are the best final levels.

• Thumbs Up 1

Both Colors and Generations are like this to me, and it made the later acts just so underwhelming. Even if a game has a shitty difficulty curve, I still feel some sense of progression and accomplishment as I'm tackling later levels. A non-existent one can sink the enjoyability factor of a game completely even if it started out fine. I'm hoping that's not the case here, because Sonic Team has a new design philosophy that can allow for some really twisted and potentially sadistic stuff, and I hope they take advantage of it. Don't let tree running die in vain. ;~;

You know Land of the Livid Dead from Rayman Origins? Well just make a 3D version of that here and we're good.

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't know whether I like it or not, but I'll make some observations about the WiiU version.

• So that's how they'll give us sense of direction. It will all revolve around exploration and killing badniks, and it's likely that the world below the tubes and clouds and stuff is there to provide us some notion of where we are. Feels dizzy, but there's good game design choice there. I enjoy that they have added badniks to the count, but, at the same time, it will feel like a chore if it doesn't give us replay value. And it won't. I still advocate different flickies to mean different things. What if collecting a certain number of a specific kind of flicky gave you the power a Wisp would? It's still gimmicky, but not so easy so come by and demanding lots of input. It'd be way better in my opinion.
  • The levels' structure seems fine, but there are little points of interest within the scope of our vision at nearly all times. Alternate paths are just paths. However, the fact that you can see huge stuff at a distance is awesome and makes up for this. In parts.
  • It looks like it'll be awkward to control. Sonic seems to get enormous amounts of speed for no reason when you land. Also, the homing attack is now way better, but there's always the worry because OH THE HOMING ATTACK IS SO IMPORTANT.

EDIT: Oh yeah. One more impression.

• RED RINGS SUCK
Edited by Palas

Game looks pretty great, but there are two things that stuck out to me.

1: The controls look like they might be a little bit finnicky, which is a concern. Hopefully I'm wrong or it's something you can get used to.

2: Desert Ruins wasn't desert-like at all. The first level was 100% candy, and the second was forest. What

You know Land of the Livid Dead from Rayman Origins? Well just make a 3D version of that here and we're good.

Was technically done years before Rayman Origins, in Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc...

Rayman 2: The Great Escape is still the best Rayman however...

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is a clear line between easier turning and taking a 90 angle at full speed. One feels natural, or even balanced. The other is a middle finger to the laws of physics (inb4 cartoon hedgehog quip)

Being able to turn at that kind of ridiculous angle changes the way you approach the game a little bit. It also lets the devs throw some seriously dickish speed platforming sections at you in later parts of the game.

I can hear the cheap death rants already...

This sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Edited by b_boult

Know it? I shed blood trying to unlock that level, almost literally (fuck the half running/half-swimming Tricky Treasure stage). But Livid Dead isn't the only hard thing about that game. Origins in general got consistently harder as you went along, prompting me to want to continue, and you didn't need a whole lot to do it; just knowledge of the character's abilities and how they can be exploited properly. Something like the final level where you're chasing the magician, where there's chaos everywhere and falling debris you have to take advantage of in a split second, all the while the flow is maintained, could potentially be amazing under this new system.

I have to say, I love how Sonic controls. I know it looks sporadic as hell, but I honestly I prefer that sort of control as opposed to the looseness of the last three games.

The game...does look a little disorientating but then again I thought the same thing about Unleashed before I got used to it so I don't think its gonna be much of a problem when I have it in my hands.

I'm...mixed on the Homing attack...on one hand it actually carries your momentum after a strike, but it still looks automated like before.

I see the game is going for something of a combination of Unleashed's levels, Classic 2D, and Modern levels but it looks like the focus is mainly on 3D so that's good. 

Like Nepenthe said, I hope for a proper difficulty curve so I feel like I achieved my level victories.

The 3DS version looks about as fun as the Wii U version really so I'll probably pick it up. Still holding out on a Wii U tho.

Loving the amount of level design diversity going on! One of my favourite things about the likes of Sonic 1 and Colours; the levels knowing when they want to either be fast paced or slow paced, while always having the obvious way of going through it at the fastest possible speed visible when you enter the next big section.

Definitely surprised the most by how great the 3DS version looks; it's looking very much on-par with the Wii U version while having it's own twists on the established concepts of the Wii U version, and even being established as a vice-versa case. Gonna look into getting both.

2: Desert Ruins wasn't desert-like at all. The first level was 100% candy, and the second was forest. What

A point was raised before that those are probably just placeholder names.  With that, I highly doubt that those names will stick.

But yeah, it is a bit baffling that they wouldn't think of that before releasing the demo.

Edited by Akito

Know it? I shed blood trying to unlock that level, almost literally (fuck the half running/half-swimming Tricky Treasure stage). But Livid Dead isn't the only hard thing about that game. Origins in general got consistently harder as you went along, prompting me to want to continue, and you didn't need a whole lot to do it; just knowledge of the character's abilities and how they can be exploited properly. Something like the final level where you're chasing the magician, where there's chaos everywhere and falling debris you have to take advantage of in a split second, all the while the flow is maintained, could potentially be amazing under this new system.

Exactly, which is why I made the comparison since Origins is also a pretty parkour-esque game, and with the new system I hope we can see some similarly impressive feats of player control response from it, even if it ends up nearly has you in tears by the end of it.

I'm...mixed on the Homing attack...on one hand it actually carries your momentum after a strike, but it still looks automated like before.

Im more curious about that rapid homming attack, what's up with that?

Edited by Soniman

• RED RINGS SUCK

Could you explain why? What's wrong with optional collectibles that can unlock bonus content?

One thing I like though is the way that you have to complete a mini objective to unlock a Red Ring i.e. hitting a bell in the level a certain amount of times.

Edited by TheCakeMiester
  • Thumbs Up 1

I... I can't believe i'm saying this, but i don't like anything from what was shown. just cant understand why, i like how game looks (especially candy level), i like enemies, shields, wisps, but gameplay and level structure is so uninteresting to me. i don't want to coming into conclusion just because of those three levels , but  if the whole game would be like this, then i have no desire to buying it. This is a first Sonic game that dissapointed me.

Soon I think I'll need to tear myself away from these trailers and videos, stop trying to analyse them as the crazy Sonic fan inside me wants to and simply attempt to enjoy want I'm going to be given when it comes out.  Not in a submissive way, but in a keen young kid like way who just played something like Pokemon for the first time or something.  I'm just looking at this game and to me it's so fully of charm and whimsy so far that I feel it wouldn't be fair to try and approach the game from an already critical standpoint, trying to find those tiny details of what's cool and what's not about the game.  I feel like this I'd really have to wait and play the game properly myself before anything I say has any weight to it.

I mean so far we've seen 3 levels for WiiU and 3 levels for 3DS (well 2 and a tutorial) all vastly different in design and construction in their respective games and seem to offer different ways to play.  Variety is the spice of life, but it is best served with a fresh open mind.  I want to be surprised to see what kind of levels there will be, how many there will be, how one will progress from level to level and how the story ties into it all.  I want to feel like I'm actually getting ready to play a new game rather than one I've prepared myself to play and feel like I "know" already.

I guess in the grand scheme of things I want to go about playing this game like I did the Galaxy games.  I went into those games only having seen a comparatively small amount of footage, not following too much discussion (though as a member of an active Sonic forum this will be difficult) and consequently being able to enjoy playing through the game as a truly fresh experience.  

• Thumbs Up 2

That stage...THAT STAGE! I'll take Eggmanland over this, seriously.

RED RINGS SUCK

I'll ignore that you failed to elaborate any actual reasoning and just say that I disagree.  I thought the red rings were actually fun and interesting to collect in Colors.  They were probably the first collectible thing that I didn't use a walkthrough on.  They weren't too challenging, but they weren't too easy either.  I'm anticipating a similar experience with this game.  In any case, I prefer it way more than collecting those Special Rings from Sonic Advance 2.  So monotonous... and repetitive... and has to be done for every single character... and agggggh.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

To make ANOTHER in-depth analysis, here's what I posted on Retro.

I don't like the turning, stopping and going on a dime. Really jarring. I knew they were gonna do the whole "tiered speeds" thing but this is kinda taking it to heavy extremes.

Still looks fun though. Bringing back the Spindash, adding in parkour and tweaking the Homing Attack to be more rapid-fire and in-the-background is nice. The classic nods and elements are really great too, but yeah, these steering controls really have me worried. I know a lot of people had a problem with how heavy Unleashed/Colors/Generations felt, but this is like the exact opposite; almost Heroes-esque in how twitchy it looks. I can't see why any fan of this would also say the SA games steered much worse. XD

But although I sound really pessimistic about this, I'm actually liking what I see. The parkour and spindash concepts returning, like said, are really cool and so is the fact that we're gonna have more focus on saving the animals at times or something. Its all neat; but mostly superficial stuff. I hope for all the automation and twitchiness going on right now, we get something progressively better in the level design as it goes on.

Call my hype officially now "extremely cautious semi-optimism". :v

Really, I'm just concerned for a lot of this. It could be loads of fun, but it all feels so foreign and weird for a Sonic title, which is why I hope its sort of a one-time-only endeavor. Also, Blue Blood (as you know from here too lol) made this nice point on Retro as well..

I was just saying to someone on Skype that they should have stuck with the Unleashed/Generations turning controls- full control at low speed, but at high speed you can only weave left and right. It didn't work in those games because of how little control you had over how fast you were going. But this time that would be perfect.

And I agree with this. Generations' steering plus this tiered system would basically be perfect IMO. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Soon I think I'll need to tear myself away from these trailers and videos, stop trying to analyse them as the crazy Sonic fan inside me wants to and simply attempt to enjoy want I'm going to be given when it comes out.  Not in a submissive way, but in a keen young kid like way who just played something like Pokemon for the first time or something.  I'm just looking at this game and to me it's so fully of charm and whimsy so far that I feel it wouldn't be fair to try and approach the game from an already critical standpoint, trying to find those tiny details of what's cool and what's not about the game.  I feel like this I'd really have to wait and play the game properly myself before anything I say has any weight to it.

I mean so far we've seen 3 levels for WiiU and 3 levels for 3DS (well 2 and a tutorial) all vastly different in design and construction in their respective games and seem to offer different ways to play.  Variety is the spice of life, but it is best served with a fresh open mind.  I want to be surprised to see what kind of levels there will be, how many there will be, how one will progress from level to level and how the story ties into it all.  I want to feel like I'm actually getting ready to play a new game rather than one I've prepared myself to play and feel like I "know" already.

I guess in the grand scheme of things I want to go about playing this game like I did the Galaxy games.  I went into those games only having seen a comparatively small amount of footage, not following too much discussion (though as a member of an active Sonic forum this will be difficult) and consequently being able to enjoy playing through the game as a truly fresh experience.  

eh, just do what I do. When information overload gets to a certain point - start a personal embargo.

A few trailers here and there won't hurt anything, but if Sega starts up a campaign where they reveal a new stage every week or so, then just ignore it. You won't be able to duck all the spoilers if you like to hand around here, but if you keep your willpower, you can keep the experience fresh for when you do get your hands on the game.