Awoo.

IGN: A Tour of Sonic Lost World [Gameplay]

Carbo

On the gameplay, I think I know how it's gonna work.

You can play the game at the normal speed (not holding the parkour/running trigger). You are not forced to do it all the time. This is when Sonic probably controls better, with more weight.

However, once you are holding the trigger, yeah, it's like boosting, and you loose some of the control, it's obvious and makes sense, you're not suppose to control 100% well when running fast, every 3D or 2D platformer does that. It's slippery, but it's possible to get the hang of it with time.

I think, once you are sure of your skills (by playing the game), you can go parkour-ing and running most of the time, and eventually finding new ways and shortcuts. Rayman Origins is like that. You will probably go slow at first, but once you got your timing, you will run an entire level.

I think it's just a matter of understanding the game. Isn't always like that?

• Thumbs Up 2

From Aaron Webber's Twitter:

Actually, you'll get to play the Demo yourself on Tuesday! (Or Weds in EU!)

Now, why would he bring up the EU date for an event that doesn't even come there? Possibly a public demo?

Edited by Liam The Animator

...were there invisible springs in parts of the levels in the Wii-U version?

I think they were more like pop-out springs.

yep. Quite a few hidden in trees or in that windmill platforming section

3DS version is cool but I personally am finding the Wii U one to be looking better. The Wii U one seems to have more paths to go from and a bigger scale of world. It also looks like it will be focused more on 3D while the 3DS version will probably focus more on 2D (can't tell for sure - but that Desert level. Wii U version while also having 2D had wide camera angles). The 3DS version also seems to have to be made by Dimps because I noticed something.. homing attack over bottomless pits.  Also LOL at the constant pop-in. Oh well, it's a 3DS game so I can't fault it so much for that.

Overall, I see myself picking up both versions. I would probably play the Wii U more due to it being HD. From the videos, it seems like the Wii U version has a lot more freedom within the levels while as in the 3DS version I saw a lot of straight forwardness with no sight of multiple paths. Off the start from the Wii U version you see various structures and pathways. I didn't see these structures or pathways in the 3DS version. Unless multiple pathways count as homing attack over a bottomless pit instead of jumping on platforms.

For people whining about the gadget in the Wii U version, keep in mind there ARE competitive modes. There just might be the chance you might see your favorite character playable.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really love the jumping animation btw. It has this very natural effect to it, kind of reminds me of that vague sonic xtreme footage. Also when sonic spindashes he does this very cartoonish animation. It's just so well done this time. I hope the game will be full of that kind subtle touches.

• Thumbs Up 2

Going off the competitive modes, the game isn't all about speed either. The big speed came from spindash, right?

I could see other characters being playable. The only problem here is would they have homing attack instead of their normal abilities? Or would this resort to focusing on characters like Shadow or Blaze?

Welp, guess I can give a more in-depth review when I play it next week. I'll try to be as constructive as possible ; I'll judge control, visuals, excitement, how well the WIsp work and compare it with my previous experiences of 3D sanic.

If competitive mode features anything besides multi-colored Sonics I'll be shocked.

• Thumbs Up 2

Going for that # of dash panels on screen at one time world record I see.

post-112-0-69345400-1370629616_thumb.png

Sonic Team and Dimps seem to be falling back on some of the things that they have managed to get away from over the last couple of games (less reliance on long do nothing transitions, fight pits, ect). I hope they don't regress where it counts the most.

Going off the competitive modes, the game isn't all about speed either. The big speed came from spindash, right?

I could see other characters being playable. The only problem here is would they have homing attack instead of their normal abilities? Or would this resort to focusing on characters like Shadow or Blaze?

personaly I am hoping for as many characters as they can for multi with varying skills and playstyles, I know it wouldnt be easy, but they have done it before, and they can do it again, but even better!

If competitive mode features anything besides multi-colored Sonics I'll be shocked.

The whole multi-colored Sonic thing was what pretty much single-handedly ruined the multiplayer in Colors for me.  I mean, you could make plenty of criticisms about that component of the game in and of itself, but at the risk of sounding shallow, the lack of playable Tails or Knuckles (seriously?  Red Sonic?) really made the experience feel incomplete regardless of the actual quality. (Which in my opinion wasn't bad)

But I mean... it was fun playing as Hank Hill's head on Sonic's body.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really love the jumping animation btw. It has this very natural effect to it, kind of reminds me of that vague sonic xtreme footage. Also when sonic spindashes he does this very cartoonish animation. It's just so well done this time. I hope the game will be full of that kind subtle touches.

Haha yeah I agree, it's like an elastic bouncy ball.  It's all very vivid.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, that was very interesting!

I'll restrict my comments to the 3DS version, as that's the only one I'm getting:

• It was obvious from the footage that it was Dimps primarily for one reason: Sonic still has that strange, illuminated, kind of cut-out look he had in Generations 3DS, where it looks as if he doesn't belong in the level, he's lit differently or in a different art style or something.
  • Also, as has been noted, the gates requiring you to defeat multiple enemies - pretending that you're actually getting multiple Flickies doesn't disguise what it is.
  • It's noticeably more limited than the Wii U version, in that although the 3D levels are curved then the edges are fenced-off, so you can't go all around them - but that could be a technical limitation rather than an effort limitation, I'll grant them; it is a handheld version.
  • Then there's the device of the level-ending set-piece that they used in Generations 3DS with the giant Badnik chasing you at the end of Windy Hill, but I'll grant them this, actually, it's not automated and you do some platforming.
  • I also liked the miniboss defending some of the giant springs; they're cleverly designed, with the spring being shielded inside them.
  • But on the down side, the parts in between the giant springs, where the camera just turns around Sonic as he flies through the air, grow old fast and are obviously used to disguise the loading of the next part of the level.
  • I actually thought the 3DS violet Wisp power looked choppy and ugly.
  • Also, something I don't think has been noted yet: Sonic has a double jump as a regular move, and because of this, the Lightning Shield has a new power because its own double jump is redundant.  It appears you can pause in mid-air to fire bolts at enemies.  Couldn't Shadow do that in '06?

On the whole, looks great to me! I'm loving the way sonic moves; obviously it's hard to tell without playing it yourself but it looks like the controls are the tightest they've ever been. I'm still not happy with the Galaxy elements, though. This is an interesting change, but I wouldn't call it any less linear than previous games; if anything it's more linear just with the added bonus of spinning around and getting disoriented. I want a game with level design more like Jak and Daxter or Spyro or any of the old N64 platformers. (but build more for speed, obviously. More curves and loops and less flat, blocky platforms.)

God no. That wouldn't work. At all. The level design is accommodated for multifaceted obstacles and the parkour is built to make use of it. In fact, it was the one thing I hoped they would get rid of the most because it's what I hated with Generations and Unleashed. Moving at jogging speeds is nice and all but most of the time I'm going to want to try sprinting to get through levels on a naturally fast basis, and I don't want that to impede on my control. I want to be able to sprint without feeling like I'm turning like a car on a wet surface. The only reason this was never a problem in Generations is because every Sonic path is a linear straightforward path only accommodated to quickstepping, making turning while running completely useless, but that's not the kind of game this is. Sonic sprinting on an open path with a control like that would be a nightmare, you should feel open and in control, and Sonic isn't running at Generations speeds in this.

The controls could have been a little more loose if sprinting but Generations control is not the way to go. I'm glad they abolished it and I hope it stays that way forever.

Actually, yeah. You're right.

I guess what I'd want is at least some traction to your movement. Say, Sonic Adventure, but with the tightness of Generations at top speeds (the weaving left and right thing). If there's anything I liked about that kind of movement, it was that you felt like you were steering realistically for that speed, so that you're not twitching everywhere. I mean, since you wouldn't really be going Gens' top speeds in game anyways, it wouldn't even be as bad as it is in Gens, but would be much better than what we have now.

Funny that the 3DS version seems to steer better, which is the one area in which it seems to excel beyond the WiiU version in a way that matters.

Edited by Azookara

I agree  that the steering is better in the 3DS version. For the 3d environments anyway. I hope they don't overlook this....

Here's why red ring suck:

Normally you replay a level because there is something about it you didn't experience. Now I'll simply not count those who think they haven't experienced something about a level and will replay it out of pure free will and intuition because there's no way to ensure anyone is going to do this. That's why you need something to influence anyone's behaviour. Offering a door etc.

Any hidden item required to unlock whatever does that. They're a reason to replay the levels, more than anything. If you know, right from the start, that you'll have to get 5 of them in each level, you have a reason to explore them and eventually replay them because, after all, completing the game is far more important. And just like I can't say anything about those who replay levels just because, I can't say anything about those who won't collect red rings just because they're optional. Separating "completionists" and "non-completionists" is silly, because it's categorizing people and there's no way we can do that with enough certainty. What we can do is to understand how a hidden item will (try to) influence someone.

If you scatter them throughout the level in paths you know the player wouldn't normally take, we have the problem of "how". Either we make the path accessible through a specific skill, specific use of a common skill or through a condition external to the character itself.

• With specific skills, we may end up lecturing the player: if you've never done it, it's because you must do it now. It gets predictable, and predictable exploration is gimmicky. Sonic Advance 3 did that. Probably more than any other game ever.
  • With the specific use of a skill, we may ruin the intuitiveness of the entire game. So how do you do that again? Spindash and jump? But here? Through that, we run the risk of blurring the line between what we show as threatening and what we show as promising: if it doesn't feel right, it's because it's right. If we do employ this method, it's best for us if the intervention in the level design is brief in order to make it less weird to go where we are going. Sonic CD is a main offender with its Past signposts, even moreso because you'll often stay in the same path searching for some place to get enough speed.
  • External conditions can be basically anything. Having 50 rings opens a door like in Sonic R; going too slow in a section you make a door close like in Sonic 4: Episode 1 (Mad Gear Act 3); killing a badnik will reveal a secret passage (can't really remember of an example, but it's possible); etc. This is less problematic in terms of turning what you're doing into a special task instead of something fluid, because in any case you know what you'll have to do, but can do it in any way you see fit. However, this makes us need to control many more variables. For example: in Sonic Rush, you must use Boost power to access the special stages. If a level is hard, then hiding the... switches or whatever in the same way you would in easier levels is much more aggravating. So you need to balance very distinct parameters.

So where does the problem with the red rings lie? You know they're there, but you must take all of them. What are the chances of not overdoing any of the methods to extend a level's lifespan? Fat chances. If they were more flexible, the way of playing to get whatever needs to be unlocked would also be more flexible. Therefore, they wouldn't turn the replay into a task-completing endless chore. The fact that there are always so many of them is aggravating, too. You can make two paths in a fork feel natural to follow, but three is much harder, even moreso in a fast-paced game like Sonic. How to turn collecting red rings into more than a checklist? I doubt Lost World will even try to do this.

I'd much more in favour of letting the external conditions be more present and in less intensity. Giant rings in S3&K were better, but still not what I'd like to see. Sonic 2 was my particular favourite, but Sonic 1 (GEN/MD), Sonic Rush, Sonic R and Sonic Adventure did a better job here.

Great, forced mach speed zones.... -___-

I'll take them over Colors horizontal scrolling spring stages any day.

• Thumbs Up 7

• Also, something I don't think has been noted yet: Sonic has a double jump as a regular move, and because of this, the Lightning Shield has a new power because its own double jump is redundant.  It appears you can pause in mid-air to fire bolts at enemies.  Couldn't Shadow do that in '06?

Actually, that wasn't from a lightning shield sonic can do that move freely by himself.

*Not even halfway through the Wii U demo video* I love this game already.

Same here.