Awoo.

IGN: A Tour of Sonic Lost World [Gameplay]

Carbo

I can't imagine Lost hex having that colorful desert level. and then were of to that level that looks like tall trunk galaxy from super mario galaxy 2. 

And people thought sonic colors was like super mario galaxy.

So, all the stages looked pretty fun in the Wii U version. Windy Hill looked fun in the 3DS version, but then Desert Ruins looked awfully Dimps-y to me.

I don't see the big deal with those tube race stages. It is actually a thing a lot of other platforms have done before, it makes perfect sense with Sonic considering the character is about speed. I thought it looked fun at least.

I'm fine with them as long as they aren't a significant part of the game. I'd like to see them implement this new gameplay style and level design in more realistic ways too. 

And by realistic, I don't mean theme. I mean actual flat surfaces, like the planet itself XD which we see under the floating tube level.

I wanna run around in those fields damn it! >:C

Except the controls in this game don't appear to be any better or any more nuanced. Its great that they saw a problem in the way that Sonic handled like a speedboat in Generations, but they replaced it with something equally bad, merely in the opposite direction. Its looks a lot like Heroes, except you have 3 different speed settings. And I use the word settings, because it doesn't look like you can go at any speed in between.

When they said they have a run button, I assumed the run button meant that you merely had higher acceleration. Looking at the gameplay, that doesn't appear to be the case at all, you just switch (almost instantaneously) from low speed to medium speed.

I don't have a problem with the acceleration. Rayman Origins had the exact same function with a split second acceleration to smooth it in, and that's what I expected similarly for this. The only problem is it not having a decrease in momentum when you let go of the control stick as pulling backwards is what's supposed to stop you in your tracks.

And no, you can't convince me that it's equally as bad for what it's designed to accommodate. If Generations controls were in this sprinting would be virtually useless for the level design, and the parkour would not even need existing. It wouldn't be something the game uses to streamline it's movesets but a "press X to vault" button, and that's not what it's there to do. It hampers flow and design. For that matter, there is still a certain amount of visible slowdown depending on how much of an angle you move while running; Sonic brakes when the control stick is pulled backwards, and he visibly slows down when gone into 90 degrees despite the sharp turn.

Like Nepenthe said, none of these controls seem to have been created in a way to set you up for instant death traps, especially not for the level design which largely is based around a gravitated orbital surface. Unless you're in a 2D plane that won't seem like an issue, but then you literally don't have to worry about the traction.

I'm not saying it's perfect and from a surface value I could probably think of quite a few improvements, but finicky aside it is a far cry more useful and practical than anything Generations had which if not for it's narrow corridors should have only limited movement to such extents if you were exclusively bosting. Generations actively removed control from you in it's most basic form, and that's an awful thing to use as an outset no matter what kind of level design you have going for it. It was easier to ignore it but when you still stripped all of it down, it was unintuitive, unwieldy and automated to a fault.

• Thumbs Up 6

I see every factor listed here as possible...   But not as possible problems.  I'm not quite sure how anything listed here really detracts from anything.
The keyword is “checklist“. If the optional experience feels so detaching and so often, it feels like a checklist. It‘s obviously not bad to give incentive to rediscovering the game, but there are better ways to do that.

I'm not sure why the run button increasing your acceleration immediately is a bad thing. For one, I can't think of any time where a run button did this to the detriment of a game's design and enjoyment. If nothing else, the fact that running is now mapped to a button suggests that it should be instantaneous anyway. That's the point of pressing a button: immediate feedback. Second, I don't see how arbitrary acceleration into the run would actually make anything better than what it is currently, because very little at this point is dependent upon such nuances in momentum to warrant it.

3DS game play

That was amazing. Its man its so hard to find words. This is what Dimps can do when they are given time and probably pressured into making a good quality game.

I'm not sure why the run button increasing your acceleration immediately is a bad thing. For one, I can't think of any time where a run button did this to the detriment of a game's design and enjoyment. If nothing else, the fact that running is now mapped to a button suggests that it should be instantaneous anyway. That's the point of pressing a button: immediate feedback. Second, I don't see how arbitrary acceleration into the run would actually make anything better than what it is currently, because very little at this point is dependent upon such nuances in momentum to warrant it.

I like the immediate change in speed. It's one of the things I actually liked about boost. 

Cause when you think of Sonic, you would assume it wouldn't take him long to immediately gain his running speed. Same way I could just start running if I choose too. I don't have to start jogging then eventually start running in real life lol

The problem isn't increasing your acceleration as much as it is that there's no variable beyond it. You have one walking speed, you have one running speed, you have one Spindash speed. There's no buildup in any of the three exclusively (except maybe how long you charge the Spindash, but that's about it). You're automatically at the speed you're supposed to go, and when you stop moving at it, you're back at zero. That's what I'm finding so jarring about it, especially compared to.. well, just about every other mainstream game in the series.

I mean, even in Unleashed/Colors/Gens, with its boost and car-like movements, you still accelerated in some way through normal movement. Now you don't even do that, and I find that even more jarring than how it used to be. Could still be fun to use, but it feels way too foreign from anything the series has had before.

EDIT: I'm doing a really bad job at wording this right, cuz in comparison Scar is hitting each note much better than I am and then some.

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't have a problem with the acceleration. Rayman Origins had the exact same function with a split second acceleration to smooth it in, and that's what I expected similarly for this. The only problem is it not having a decrease in momentum when you let go of the control stick as pulling backwards is what's supposed to stop you in your tracks.

And no, you can't convince me that it's equally as bad for what it's designed to accommodate. If Generations controls were in this sprinting would be virtually useless for the level design, and the parkour would not even need existing. It wouldn't be something the game uses to streamline it's movesets but a "press X to vault" button, and that's not what it's there to do. It hampers flow and design. For that matter, there is still a certain amount of visible slowdown depending on how much of an angle you move while running; Sonic brakes when the control stick is pulled backwards, and he visibly slows down when gone into 90 degrees despite the sharp turn.

Like Nepenthe said, none of these controls seem to have been created in a way to set you up for instant death traps, especially not for the level design which largely is based around a gravitated orbital surface. Unless you're in a 2D plane that won't seem like an issue, but then you literally don't have to worry about the traction.

I'm not saying it's perfect and from a surface value I could probably think of quite a few improvements, but finicky aside it is a far cry more useful and practical than anything Generations had which if not for it's narrow corridors should have only limited movement to such extents if you were exclusively bosting.

Essentially then, its good for its use-case in the same way Unleashed and Generations' controls were good for their use-case. They're two opposite ends of the spectrum and both are far too extreme for my liking.

Who knows, it may well be really fun. Though I don't want to be the persistant movement style for the series. Especially when Sonic Team move away from the tube-style of level design, and bring Sonic back down to Earth.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really like how the double jump this time is more a little mid-air kick flip in the Wii U version. Also, I wonder if that little air kick move that was in the 3DS version will be in the Wii U, like as a sort of upgrade to the standard kick attack

The keyword is “checklist“. If the optional experience feels so detaching and so often, it feels like a checklist. It‘s obviously not bad to give incentive to rediscovering the game, but there are better ways to do that.

Ah, fair enough.  Sure, there are better ways to entice people into replaying a game, but I still disagree with the notion that they outright suck.  I thought collecting them was a fun little challenge, but I can see why others might not enjoy it quite as much.

Essentially then, its good for its use-case in the same way Unleashed and Generations' controls were good for their use-case. They're two opposite ends of the spectrum and both are far too extreme for my liking.

Who knows, it may well be really fun. Though I don't want to be the persistant movement style for the series. Especially when Sonic Team move away from the tube-style of level design, and bring Sonic back down to Earth.

You'll have to read my edit since I added more to it. I actively disagree that Sonic Generations' control form was in any way better accommodated for its design since the level design is purely a by-product due to how unintuitive the control really is, because there is rarely any of it. The only real thing Generations had that it needed was boosting, and that's where Sonic controlling like crap should come into force, not when he's running naturally. If Sonic actually controlled the way he does in Generations as he does in Lost World, that'd open up major possibilities for the level design in terms of an open space because it means Sonic has much more control to take liberties with his surroundings. Generations limits what can be done because of him being unintuitive to control no matter what the speeds, instead of Lost World which looks to add more due to these new control changes while still letting Sonic move into fast speeds that, in this case, is more discernible and reasonable to keep a hold on.

I've said this, but Sonic being a bit more sturdy in run mode would have been okay as long as it doesn't take a single note from Generations where the control was awful at it's most basic level. Instead of using cheap tricks to make it look better than it is, it's putting you in the control of what you do.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it has more to do with the franchise's essence. Most of us here are probably happy the boost is gone. Hence There to being a parkour button to replace that instead is something I personally am not a fan of. I am a big fan of sonic adventure's controls. Not the games as a whole, but the 3d movement in those games was really excellent. And I hope the controls can lean a bit more towards that.

Basically in short. It's much better compared to the boost, but it could be a lot better and it would feel more natural as well.

You'll have to read my edit since I added more to it. I actively disagree that Sonic Generations' control form was in any way better accommodated for its design since the level design is purely a by-product due to how unintuitive the control really is, because there is rarely any of it. The only real thing Generations had that it needed was boosting, and that's where Sonic controlling like crap should come into force, not when he's running naturally. If Sonic actually controlled the way he does in Generations as he does in Lost World, that'd open up major possibilities for the level design in terms of an open space because it means Sonic has much more control to take liberties with his surroundings. Generations limits what can be done because of him being unintuitive to control no matter what the speeds, instead of Lost World which looks to add more due to these new control changes while still letting Sonic move into fast speeds that, in this case, is more discernible and reasonable to keep a hold on.

I've said this, but Sonic being a bit more sturdy in run mode would have been okay as long as it doesn't take a single note from Generations where the control was awful at it's most basic level. Instead of using cheap tricks to make it look better than it is, it's putting you in the control of what you do.

I see what you mean.

I'm not really defending Generations' controls, because they were definitely not ideal. However, there are some lessons to learn from those mistakes, which I believe could be applied in this case. For instance, weaving at higher speeds, rather than just changing directions on a dime. Perhaps, the angular nature of the level design in this game requires the ultra-tight, 90 degree turning to work properly (else I could forsee momentum carrying people off the level).

And acceleration is huge factor, as I strongly believe that Sonic is a platformer character who should be able to move freely at any speed, rather than at different speed settings, as you see here. Though that is probably for a different debate, because its pretty clear, that this game isn't even trying to be like the classics in any way. Its is own thing and appears to have its own mechanics to fulfill its function.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love this line on the game's TVTropes page:

"Actor Allusion: Three-tiered running and parkour systems? Guess Roger Craig Smith brought over more than just his voice."

I think the game looks pretty fun. I still think the graphics don't look Sonicish, though. Desert Ruins 3 looked like something straight out of Galaxy. Windy Hill's music reminds me of Sonic Advance. I like it, I guess. Gameplay looks decent. Glad to see that Sonic can turn again.

Desert Ruins 3DS looked kind of bad, though. Too many "puzzles".

• Thumbs Up 1

My take on dizziness: I've never felt dizzy when looking at video game footage, and the one time I've felt dizzy when actually playing a game was, of all things, Ocarina Of Time 3D.  With the 3D turned off, even.  I acclimatised.

Actually, that wasn't from a lightning shield sonic can do that move freely by himself.

Huh, really?  I only noticed it when he was equipped with a lightning shield, and it just seemed logical to me that with its original power redundant then it would've been given a new power which I frankly don't think makes sense as a standard Sonic move.  I'll take your word for it, but as a standard move then it goes down in my estimation.  ...Based on that, I would assume that the fire shield just resists fire and the lightning shield attracts rings, but I'm sure I saw depowered Sonic attracting rings on his own in one of the videos (maybe that was just the Wii U version?).

And I just wish it controlled like Sonic Adventure or something. Really. All I could've wanted was accelerative movement. It still looks pretty diddly-dang fun, as I've said multiple times, but it just doesn't feel much like a Sonic game without the underlying mechanics being somehow related to speed buildup. 

The reason I disliked the "modern" gameplay so much was because of how it made the controls centered around one move that give you a set speed constantly without any variation. This just took it and chopped it into thirds, and then made it the entire basis of your movement. Sure, it's better for a more cohesive and playable experience, but its still not much better, and in fact only made it feel a bit less like what I'd expect from a Sonic game.

So regardless of it being better than what Gens/Unleashed did or not, I'm still disappointed. 

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh wait, the Wii U is the only version to run at 60fps? Even better!

I think it has more to do with the franchise's essence. Most of us here are probably happy the boost is gone. Hence There to being a parkour button to replace that instead is something I personally am not a fan of. I am a big fan of sonic adventure's controls. Not the games as a whole, but the 3d movement in those games was really excellent. And I hope the controls can lean a bit more towards that.

Basically in short. It's much better compared to the boost, but it could be a lot better and it would feel more natural as well.

The Parkour button isn't really a replacement for Boosting anymore than Boosting was a replacement for rolling. Each of these things has significantly different functions that create a unique symbiotic relationship with the level design around them. But overall, I'm not really saying the instant acceleration is perfect so much as I don't see what is so egregiously wrong with it when taking the game as a whole at this point. It's basically theoretical preference at this point.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh wait, the Wii U is the only version to run at 60fps? Even better!

Where did it say this? Cause that's new for Sonic o__O

The Parkour button isn't really a replacement for Boosting anymore than Boosting was a replacement for rolling. Each of these things has significantly different functions that create a unique symbiotic relationship with the level design around them. But overall, I'm not really saying the instant acceleration is perfect so much as I don't see what is so egregiously wrong with it when taking the game as a whole at this point. It's basically theoretical preference at this point.

Exactly! And the point I was making was that it doesn't fit my preference in any way whatsoever, and regardless of the things it did that I like and think they should try keeping, I still feel really alienated and unhappy! tongue.png

The fact that the game features a lot of automation and lack of slopes doesn't help my liking, either. But I guess I'll cease the bitching about this game and just go on my own way now. Sorry for muddling up everyone's hype trains, guys.

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 1