Awoo.

[FANFICTION] Feel the Sunshine

Dr. Mechano

Hey guys, Mechano here. Just decided to write a fanfic about a classic confrontation between Sonic and Dr. Eggman. My intent here is to write as closely to the tone of the game series as possible, and to make the story seem like just another "episode" of the series we all know and love. Enjoy!

“Feel the Sunshine”

by Dr. Mechano

Chapter 1 – Dark Days Ahead

“Now that's what I call lunch!” Sonic said, finishing his last slice of pizza, “Whaddya wanna do now, Tails?”

Tails smiled, “Well, I did want to stop by the Station Square Museum. They're hosting a new exhibit on climatology that I've been really interested in-”

Aa-aaaaaah...” Sonic yawned loudly.

Tails's eyes narrowed slightly, “Or, y'know, we could head to the track at Emerald Coast and... go fast.”

“Now you're talkin'. It's a beautiful day, I'd hate to waste that!” Sonic grinned, “Check please!”

“Coming right up, Mr. Hedgehog!” the waiter said, returning to the kitchen.

As he waited for the server to come back, Sonic idly watched one of the TVs on the restaurant wall. The station was showing an ad for a tropical vacation cruise, nothing especially interesting. That was, until a moment later.

BZZZZT! “-oh hoh hoh! We interrupt your tedious TV programming to bring you a special announcement!”

“What?!” Tails gasped.

“Eggman...” Sonic muttered.

The pizzeria – and indeed, the world - grew silent, as people watched in shock as the television displayed the all-too-familiar grinning visage of that notorious mad scientist, the evil Dr. Eggman. The madman flashed a toothy grin to the cameras, wearing a cleanly pressed suit and tie in lieu of his usual red jacket, with a gaudy toupee atop his ordinarily bald head. He stood in front of a large, wall-sized map of the world as he delivered his message.

With an expression of mock-horror, Eggman put both hands up to his face, “Our latest forecast shows a sudden blizzard heading for sunny Sand Hill!”

The Doctor grinned, and off stage, one of his henchmen – a red, spherical assistant by the name of Orbot – silently flipped a switch on a large control panel.

The broadcast faded away from Eggman for the time being, showing the aforementioned desert region of Sand Hill, which – just as Eggman said – was experiencing a sudden snowstorm. Snow banks had totally eclipsed the sand dunes, and the oasis was frozen over in ice. All the while, rather dissonant smooth jazz played over the slow pans of the desert, suddenly screeching to a halt as the broadcast returned to Eggman's newsroom set.

“Oh dear...” Tails said quietly, “This is bad...”

Pointing haphazardly to his map, Eggman continued, “But there's more! Absolutely torrential downpours are expected for Central City, Westopolis, Emerald Town, and of course, Station Square! It's expected to begin in... oh, now.”

Snapping his fingers, Eggman signaled Orbot to press another sequence of buttons. As before, the cheery music started again as viewers were “treated” to footage of the aforementioned locations experiencing sudden, unexpected extreme rain.

Of course, since Sonic and Tails were in Station Square, they needed only to glance out the window to see the skies – which were sunny and cloudless just moments ago – were now grey, as rain poured down to the streets below.

“Whoa,” Sonic said, caught off guard, “Meh, and I really wanted to head to the beach today.”

As the broadcast transitioned back to Eggman, a robotic, yellow arm reached into the frame, handing the doctor a sheet of paper. The Doctor flapped his hands at the paper, pretending to read it for a moment, before exclaiming, “Oh my. Break out the suncreen, folks! We have sunny days ahead for the polar icecaps! And while you're at it, you'd better go swimsuit-shopping, because this much direct, intensified sunlight's going to melt those gigantic glaciers into environmentally-unfriendly slushies! So, in a forecast we've never made before, expect sea level to dramatically rise... worldwide.

The pizza parlor was abuzz with frightened customers, muttering away as they watched Eggman's televised threats.

Tails rubbed his chin, deep in thought. He continued watching, his mind racing with possible solutions to the new threat.

The camera zoomed in on Eggman's face, and the doctor's teasing smile shifted to a more sinister grin as he tossed the wig off to the side, “That is, unless I can be persuaded to turn off my wonderfully wicked weather satellite. Hey, I'm a reasonable guy, so how about this? Every nation that peacefully surrenders to the my rule within the next 24 hours will receive FREE state of the art flood-proofing tech developed by Eggman Enterprises! As a bonus, if the whole world submits to my demands, I'll be nice enough to shut off the flooding entirely! Why, it's a deal to not die for!”

Sonic glared at the screen, “So that's what you're up to, Doc. Shoulda seen that coming...”

Tails continued to sit there, quietly pondering.

“This concludes our interruption,” Eggman smirked, “Stay dry, everyone.”

And then, as suddenly as it began, the hijacked frequency ended, and the television broadcast returned to normal.

“Gotta hand it to the Eggster,” Sonic said, rolling his eyes, “Guy really knows how incite a widescale public panic. Sheesh, only a day, and we don't even know where he's holed up this time.”

“I think I've got it...” Tails whispered.

“Eh?”

“Oh, sorry,” Tails spoke up, “I... think I can trace the origin of Eggman's signal. I mean... maybe. I don't know, but there's a good chance that looking at one of the networks' equipment could give us a lead.”

Sonic smiled, “Sweet, then what are we waiting for? Where's the nearest TV station?”

“Let's see...” Tails glanced at a map on his phone for a moment, “Looks like the closest one's in Emerald Town.”

“Then let's get going!” Sonic said as he and Tails approached the door. He hated the rain – and wasn't much of a water fan in general – but stepped outside, nonetheless, “I dunno how much more of this I can take.”

And with a dash, they were on their way.

“Alright, Mr. Hedgehog, your check is-” the waiter stopped, “Mr. Hedgehog? Huh...”

MEANWHILE...

“Ooh hoo hoo hoo!” Eggman laughed, “Now that was a splendid performance! I simply can't wait to see the litany of surrender notices!”

Orbot spoke up, “Uh, boss? Do you think Sonic saw that highly public announcement you just made?”

Eggman grinned, “Oh, I'm counting on it.”

“Eh?” Orbot shrugged, as Eggman walked out of the room, “I wonder what he meant by that. Ah well, c'mon Cubot, let's pretend to be working.”

“Yahoo!” Cubot nodded, leaping off toward the breakroom, “Let's-a go!”

Orbot shook his head and silently followed his partner. It was going to be one of those days.

What is Dr. Eggman plotting? Will Sonic and Tails be able to trace the doctor's location in time? Will our heroes be able to weather the best of Eggman's forces? Find out... next time!

• Thumbs Up 8

Oh, this is great!

You nailed the personality of all the characters featured perfectly!

Can we expect more? 

• Thumbs Up 1

This is great work, man! The writing's very clever and humourous, you also did a terrific job of portraying the character's personalities.

I definitely would like to see more of this!

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh my God, this is beautiful. I could seriously imagine the actual characters speaking these lines and the fun atmosphere works way too well. x3

I like the idea of sun in the ice regions. Maybe include Ice Cap, White Acropolis, Holoska, Blizzard Peaks and all that being the victims like you picked the famous cities in the games?

Needless to say, really looking forward to more.

Edited by Super Spindash
  • Thumbs Up 1

That was far better than I expected from a fanfiction, this is really good.

Sure hope we get to see more at some point :P

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...