Awoo.

Sonic Green Snake V 4.0

Green Snake

Download
Emulator optimized version
Real hardware optimized version

Note: .SMD files can be opened on your emulator
And for those who require some spoilers:

So, the time has come. It took me long, but I'm finally here, presenting you my hack, something which you probably hated a lot, just year ago. But today, I'm sure you wont hate it. Here, some screenshots;

6661150.png8963439.png8867378.png9670633.png2404371.png7909383.png

There is many new features added, including Elemental shields, overworld, and Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles with their signature moves. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to work on other things than adding features, so only first level has been done. However, I hope you enjoy, and give some feedback.

The game uses pretty basic controls, however with few exceptions; In pause menu in overworld, pressing B allows you to enter to special stage. In Special stage, pressing A, B or C button will take you to overworld. In normal level, pressing A will take you to overworld, pressing B will take you to overworld act.
This hack uses SRAM saving, but unfortunately it seems that in Regen it doesnt work properly, the reason is unknown, and it may cause some glitches in-game. Also for this reason, I suggest that you enable SRAM when you play this hack.

If you want me to give more detailed explanation/description about this hack, please tell me by posting below.

Credits:
Programming: Me, also, thanks for people who has posted some great tutorials
Music: Nineko's sound pack, S_T_D, Eduardo Knuckles (Few DACs), Vladikcomper for Mega PCM
Art: Mashuga31, me, Kamekagzze (Title Screen Logo), some random people from TheMysticalForestZone (Spritesheets)
Betatesting: Sonicvaan
Also, some miscellaneous help I'd like to credit:
Vladikcomper: Explaining me some useful things
HPZman: Keeping me entertained (Which helped me lot with having patience to fix more bugs)

Please note me if I forgot someone.

Edited by Green Snake

I don't quite get it. What IS this hack? Sonic 1 with added features? Are there new levels?

Well, this caught me by surprise.

The last time I saw a mention of 'Sonic Green Snake' was on the Sonic Stuff Research Group. When I played it then it appeared to be a joke hack with eye rape textures. It wasn't all that great.

Now this, this is a vast improvement, it isn't perfect, nowhere near it, but I can see it coming together well. A few things I noticed, some of the palettes, notably in the Overworld, look a bit off, some of the colours don't quite work. The level design also has a few kinks that need to be ironed out, less bottomless pits and spike traps are always good. You don't want to be cheap with level design, you want to be challenging.

Well done so far, just keep working on it.

(I hope none of this is based on stolen code, because I'd be really disappointed in you if that's so.)

Edited by Doc Azure
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I went bit overboard with act 3, I admit. However, the biggest goal for this build was to get the engine and new stuff ready, so later I could focus more on level designing,and overall gameplay. And there is 0% stolen content involved.

And there is 0% stolen content involved.

I figured, actually, ahaha. The homing attack's replaced by the instashield (albeit with buggy graphics - or was that intentional?) and the special stages are left intact as they are in Sonic 1, sooo.... It'd be safe to assume nothing was stolen, yeah? : D

I like it! I like the level design you're going for. I can't say much because I haven't played too much, (music does that to ya) but the abundance of those half-pipey things in Dark Forest Zone really reminds me of Sonic Rush/Advance 2's exhilarating speed! I really love stuff like that - maybe change the physics a bit to accomodate? (Of course, this is all my personal opinion.)

One thing - the /only/ thing - I loved in the original Green Snake was Silver Sonic, (slightly relating to what I just said) but I assume it's still there as Turbo Mode?

Overall, I like this! It looks like it's changing for the better to me, and heck, if it isn't fun!

Edited by Korg Triton Le

maybe change the physics a bit to accomodate? (Of course, this is all my personal opinion.)

I'm planning to port Sonic2/S&K's physics engine, and hopefully get those shield arts fixed (I'm very poor with SonMapEd, and S3K disasm had buggy graphics already)

• 4 weeks later...

This game is... for the most part pretty interesting. Not a whole lot to say. Lol