Awoo.

Sonic after Lost World?

Shane

I am predicting a Knuckles based game as the 3 exclusive game

After the way they've been treating him for the past few years I wouldn't hold my breath. That and coupled with the fact that might not be that kind to it because they still might have a bad taste in their mouths from the last time they gave one of the supporting cast their own game.

But hey you never know, we'll just have to wait and see.

Sparing money doesn't apply to Sonic for Sega.

I cannot see how my post sugggests anything to do with sparing money. All it is about is allocation of developers.

I just hope that SEGA do away with the parkour engine. Hopefully something that's like Sonic Generations, with the SA style Spindash replacing the Boost. A few more playable characters would be nice

Why would you want them to do away with Parkour when that is like the one thing that has the potential allow Sonic to be more maneuverable and acrobatic through a level and bring more variety than he ever had in the Boost era?

• Thumbs Up 8

The good things of Sonic Adventure + the good things of Lost World.

You know, characters other than Sonic playable, mini-games, adventure fields, good story telling. And parkour, simplistic and colorful graphics.

• Thumbs Up 5

I thought that Lost World's artstyle was acceptable considering the setting of the game, and I myself don't have any problems with it, but personally I hope we return to the blend of highly-detailed realism and semi-surreal fantasy of the Unleashed-era games. To be more specific, I thought the artstyle of Generations was the best execution of this blend of realism and fantasy, so I hope the next game returns to that artstyle in particular.

Edited by Gabe Scrooge
  • Thumbs Up 1

I personally don't care what they do next as long as the next game isn't "Sonic-only" again, i'll be happy.

Edited by The Cheap90'sCGiFMVMan

I personally don't care what they do next as long as the next game isn't "Sonic-only" again, i'll be happy.

With how varied Lost World's gameplay is, I'd be amazed if they didn't make other characters playable. To me it makes little sense to introduce all these gimmick levels and NOT throw in other characters at some point.

The hidden levels do give me some hope. That the Tornado stage was considered, even if it didn't make the final cut, makes me think they might actually be open to throwing in some degree of other characters being playable.

Edited by Dogelvie

The Wisps are basically alternative playable characters anyway, you just only get to play as them for a few seconds.  If that's the only way Sonic Team are willing to do other playstyles - not that Sonic's friends even have to play all that differently from him - then it's pretty easy to convert that to proper characters.  Have the friends be optional "assist" characters who you can "equip" one of on a level-by-level basis (pre-set by the game or chosen by you - preferably the latter), and call on their powers at the press of a button at any time (well, maybe with some cooldown).

The mere fact that the gameplay and the level design of the standard levels are (aside from two exceptions) no longer automated on-rails levels greatly opens up the opportunity of having more playable characters.

Whether Sonic Team will grow some balls, stick it to the critics, and have someone other than Sonic (+ Wisp powerup) or a Sonic Simulator Robot playable for the first time since 2006's Sonic 06 for once remains to be seen (which going by Iizuka's desire to make the Wisps an unnecessary gameplay mainstay, won't be happening anytime soon).

It's our own fault, had the fanbase not shit Sonic 06 and characters like Silver and Omega as much as we did, Sonic Team wouldn't be so afraid to reuse elements from the Adventure era, don't get me wrong Sonic 06 was a horrible game but apparently Sonic Team took the negative response a little too personally. Sonic 06 was a bad because the glitches, the level layout which made some sections unplayable and the story which probably wouldn't be such a bad thing had it not took it self too seriously nor was riddled with plot holes. Sonic Team seems to have this poisoned mindset that Adventure Gameplay + Multiple Playable Characters + A Deep Storyline = a bad game. which is why the next Sonic game after SLW will probably be another Sonic-only, Boost2win game with a storyline on the same level to that of a Saturday mourning cartoon.

Edited by The Cheap90'sCGiFMVMan

I agree with a lot of what you have to say - I would enjoy something like "'06 if it was good," although it's hard to say what that would look like - but if I'm perfectly honest, I think the criticism of "a Sonic game in which you don't play as Sonic very much" is valid.  How much of '06 is spent playing as the character whose name is the title of the game?  It must be less than a third.  And I think this is why a lot of the conversation has turned to the idea of other playable characters as optional.  Some of the Generations optional missions had roughly the right idea - the ones where you have other characters assisting you.  They combine Sonic gameplay with other character gameplay without having to choose between one or the other.

It's our own fault, had the fanbase not shit Sonic 06

Had we not done that, chances are we would have risked getting something even worse than what they delivered. Sonic Team needed a kick in the ass after that atrocity, and we shouldn't accept a game that was still in the beta phase when we could have been playing something much better.

Nothing's stopping them from going back to reuse those elements, but it was their own fault they fucked up in using them, and they needed to know that.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 3

What I want in the next game:

• Playable characters.
  • Improved SLW gameplay.
  • No more tubular gameplay (it came at the cost of hills and loops, there were none of those in 3D in this game).
  • Parkour, but improved.
  • Big and fleshed out story (not the extent of Adventure 2, but more like Unleashed)
  • A balance between the visual artstyle of Lost World and Gens.

What we will probably get from that list:

• Changed SLW gameplay.
  • No more tubular gameplay.
  • Parkour.
  • Lost World artstyle.

Okay, joking aside I actually have a lot of faith for the next (main) Sonic game. I'm assuming it's being done by the Unleashed team, which honestly I respect so much more than the Colors team. Sure Colors was better, but you can't tell me at all that it had more ambition put into it as Unleashed. Unleashed's visuals were great (despite the framerate), amazing story, character development, fun (boost) gameplay, etc. Colors felt so barebones compared to Unleashed, despite technically being the better of the two.

The two things I oh so want at this point though would be playable characters and a better story. Again, when I say better story I don't mean as "try-hard to be serious" as SA2, but rather more like Unleashed. It was serious, but was balanced between being that and being a light-hearted Sonic game. Playable charactrers is self-explanatory. I'm not asking for god-damn E-123 Omega to make a return, but at the very least give us Tails and Knuckles. They practically DID with the Eagle Wisp and the Rhythm and Drill Wisp (Kind of Knuckles), so what the hell is stopping them from giving us the ACTUAL characters? As much as I want to see this happen, I doubt it will seing as when Iizuka was asked this year at one of the conventions, his reply was "they're playable in the Mario & Sonic series". Yeah, I guess I'll just sit here and wait a bit longer.

• No more tubular gameplay (it came at the cost of hills and loops, there were none of those in 3D in this game).

Well, not inherently. There's nothing about the tube-based levels that prevents more complex structures from being built on them, they just...didn't really do it. Maybe they just thought it'd be too confusing, but I don't think that's too big an issue as long as they kept it in mind while designing things.

I'm not asking for god-damn E-123 Omega to make a return, but at the very least give us Tails and Knuckles.

I honestly wouldn't mind anyone in any random order as long as their gameplay is good without deviating to far from the standard, and every character gets a fair shot at being playable. Why settle for just Knux and Tails when other people have their favorites, ya know?

I honestly wouldn't mind anyone in any random order as long as their gameplay is good without deviating to far from the standard, and every character gets a fair shot at being playable. Why settle for just Knux and Tails when other people have their favorites, ya know?

I mean just as a starting to point to show that they actually care about others being playable. I wouldn't mind seeing characters like Omega, Cream, or even Silver being playable again as long as they do play enough like Sonic (with their own spin on things of course). I still want to be able to play as Sonic, Silver and Shadow in a modern game (that's not '06), but I think if they do bring them back, they shouldn't jump right into it. Ease them into it, I guess.

Oh, and no more Wisps please. Like I said, some of them are REALLY obvious attempts for incorporating characters playstyles' without actually having them in the game/playable. The others I could care less for, especially after Colors.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I kind of want omega to come back since as unpopular as it is, the shooting gameplay was probably my favorite next to sonic and tails' in adventure one (and to a somewhat lesser extent, adventure 2). Sides omega already plays a bit like sonic already but with a hover and an arm cannon and unless the media starts going "sonic with GUNS? 0/10" then it shouldn't be that big of a problem.

As for tails, I wouldn't mind if his gameplay was a slight call back to tails sky patrol with improved mechanics and more things to do besides using a ring to grab things. For knuckles he can basically just go through stages like sonic but slightly slower and he can't do parkour but he can glide, climb on walls indefinitely, and use moves for clearing out enemies quicker (like an falling fist to the ground that causes an explosion if you fall from a certain height).

• Thumbs Up 1

I just don't want mech shooting and treasure hunting again. Those two bored the hell out of me. I'd rather see Knuckles and Tails go through regular stages with hidden and explorative pathways to take. It'd be really interesting to see what that would be like in a modern 3D Sonic game.

Edited by TheVGamer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why would you want them to do away with Parkour when that is like the one thing that has the potential allow Sonic to be more maneuverable and acrobatic through a level and bring more variety than he ever had in the Boost era?

Because (to me) the whole parkour system was too slow and cumbersome. if I wanted to play a slower paced platformer, I'd play a Mario game. Sonic should be based around speed and platforming, a lot like Colours and Generations achieved. There were no points in Lost World which made me think "Speed", it kind of just felt like a regular platformer at most parts. I also wasn't a fan of the "Run" button. Why not just have something like in Assassin's Creed where your regular running speed and parkour speed are the same?

The parkour system wasn't perfect, but it's something that, with a little refinement, should make the game feel faster and more fluid than it would without it. It's not something that inherently slows the game down and makes it like Mario, no more than including any kind of gameplay mechanic would necessarily require the game being slower than Unleashed and Generations.

• Thumbs Up 4

The ability to grab ledges using parkour instead of falling to your death already makes it an amazing piece to me.

• Thumbs Up 2

And thanks to the walk button i can platform without feeling like I'm going to fall off or die every time I jump

Ah yes, I remember back in the days of S1-3K, CD and the Adventures where I had such toiling troubles in aiming my jumps and trajectory while platforming.

Wait no I don't. :y

I know what they were trying to do with the run button but I find it kind of useless, especially since people lambasted it for holding a button just to go remotely fast. It just seems so dumb to add one in after 20 years of going without, plus the first couple of games proving you didn't need one to platform correctly.

I'd rather they just make it a parkour button next time. Move normally and you can accel to top speed. Hold down the button (or time it correctly) and you can now wall-run, wall-jump and vault.

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 9