Awoo.

My First Game

MamboCat

Hi guys, I saw a few people commenting in the status threads so I thought I'd create a little discussion!

If anyone wants to hear a little piece of Mambo history; this is my first game. Burnin' Rubber, the 1990 game that came with any Amstrad machine. I had an Amstrad 464 Plus (as shown here: http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1112/4727156028_1999423c08_z.jpg) so it was supplied in cartridge form, but I have a feeling Amstrad also made a short-lived console which had it pre-installed, a bit like Alex Kidd on the Master System!

Before having my own computer (my mum didn't want me to have one as she thought it wasn't educational, but after nagging incessantly she got me an Amstrad because it was a computer, not really a console and she though I might learn something from it or use it for school... yeah, right!!) I would play games at some friends' houses but this was the first one I owned. The video is quite long as it's essentially an LP but if you have the patience to watch it, it shows the day-night-day changes nicely! There's also some dated but very neat sprite work; as the guy says there is an awesome crash scene which isn't shown in the video, and if you can get past the sound the car constantly makes, the other sounds are pretty good such as squealing tyres, scratching paintwork and beeping cars.

As a kid I never finished the game (and as such it caused many temper tantrums!), I got to somewhere in lap 3 but I found a way to cheat! I realised if you qualified then didn't move at all from the start position, the game would actually think you'd won! However it would freak out and instead of showing the four laps and flashing like it does in the video, it would make up new colours, laps and stages and would keep on counting, and counting... and counting. Essentially little 6 year old me broke the game!

After this game, I had several of the Dizzy series, the other verson of Wonderboy made by Sega!! (where he looks like a little caveman with blond hair) and a bunch of other old games on cassettes which I don't really remember. It wasn't until I had Master System and Mega Drive that the obsession really sunk in!

Anyone else want to share their first game?! biggrin.png

Edited by MamboCat
  • Thumbs Up 6

When I was very young I also played games on an 'Amstrad CPC 464'. I think there were about ten different Dizzy games you could play.

dizzy-games.jpg

They were fun puzzle solving games.

Can't remember what the first game I played on the Amstrad was called. It might have been Sigma Seven:

Foto+Sigma+7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEypAwtBsT0

Edited by -Bender- Super King
  • Thumbs Up 3

That I recall... this little beauty on my Dad's BBC Micro (Like a pretentious Spectrum) way back before I had my Master System. I will always have a soft spot for this one. :3

It's not an amazing game by today's standards and it sounds like absolute shite but I used to play it to death. My memories of the 80s aren't hugely reliable though since I was 4 at max before they ended :P

Jetpac_Coverart.png

The 360 remake Jetpac Reloaded was meh but it included the original in full. I imagine most people have played this in one of its forms (It was required to fully complete Donkey Kong 64!). Made by the Stamper Brothers at Ultimate who went on to become some Rareware company that nobody has ever heard of, I'm sure.

I think they make sports games... or something.

Edited by Andrew Albacia
  • Thumbs Up 2

My first own game?

SIsCfJC.jpg

The first game I ever played was either Alex Kidd or Sonic 2 in my father's Master System, but the first game I actually owned was Rayman Advance.

When I was like 5 years old I went camping with my parents and uncles. At the time, my uncles where friends with some couple that had a son and a daughter, since there wasn't any shit to do at the campsite, me and the son of that couple used to stay inside his grandmother's camping trailer playing his Gameboy. I think that the old lady lived in the campsite inside that trailer or some shit.

He had Rayman Advance and some other shitty game that looked like Tetris with some ghosts.

I got pretty addicted to that stuff and played with him every day until the vacations where over.

At my 6th anniversary, my parents gave me a Gameboy and my uncles gave me Rayman.

I played it until some days later I discovered that Pokémon had videogames and my parents gave me Pokémon Gold. After that I rarely played Rayman Advance anymore.

This game went through a lot of shit, from being stolen to losing it. Anyway, it is still alive and kicking as you can see in the picture, alongside my original Gameboy and Pokémon Gold.

I actually 100% it some years ago.

I've been playing video games for pretty much as long as I can remember, so I'll never know what my actual first game was. So here's a short list of games I remember playing a lot as a little kid. For the record, my family had an NES and a Genesis.

-Super Mario Bros.

- Sonic 1&2

-Street Fighter 2

- Mortal Kombat 2

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1&2

- Battletoads

- Jurassic Park (Genesis version)

Almost any of these games could of been my first, sans Mortal Kombat 2.

First game I ever played was Bubble Bobble on the NES. Me and my sister used to play that all the time, we were addicted to it. I still remember I always played Bob and she played Bub. Eventually though, we played it so much that the poor NES couldn't handle it anymore and it broke. ;~; However I think the console was already quite old at the time, cos we were allowed to have it from a cousin who had it for a while already.

Other games I fondly remember playing at a young age include Super Mario Land, Tetris, Crash Bandicoot 2 and...Abe's Oddysee. Yah, I played that when I was 7. What? XP

The first game I ever remember playing was one of two things on my dad's old DOS computer. It was either Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure (made by the original Duke Nukem team)

A fun little platformer which sort of reminds me of Zool nowadays. Love the sound in it too.

The other one I remember was a Breakout style game called Bip Bop II (don't ever remember playing Bip Bop I). A very simple game which had me oddly hooked.

The first game I ever played (that I can remember) was Super Mario World

Super_Mario_World_Front_Page.jpg

But I guess if point-and-click games count, it would be Arthur's Teacher Trouble

Arthurtt.jpg

Welp, here's mine:

Red_EN_boxart.jpgBlue_EN_boxart.jpg

Possibly the greatest things that have happened to my life. Ever. And I was 3.

Edited by Lennox
  • Thumbs Up 1

Math Blaster is a shitty edutainment game, so I'm going to go with Super Mario Land 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRvpqP9WJjk

To me, this is still the best 2D Mario game. I love the OST to death, I love the different tropes, I love the control, everything about it is wonderful.

EDIT: I really hate how Media tags don't automatically work anymore.

Edited by Solkia

My early video game years are a conglomeration of faded memories, so I'd be hardpressed to remember what is actually the first game that I owned for myself. I was born with consoles in my home already, namely the NES, so I generally remember playing various titles like Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros., Contra, Bionic Commando, Codename Viper (which has a kickass jazz soundtrack you all should check out), and other stuff like some random helicopter wartime game, all with varying degrees of success. For me at the time, games were like the TV: there was no single owner of each game. Everyone in the family was free to play whatever they wanted to, alone or with a second player. It was just that entertainment hub thingie for all to enjoy.

Although, now that I've typed all that out, it hit me: the first game I was specifically given to own was Sonic CD on the PC. I remember my older cousin just passing it off to me, and being a young Sonic fan I couldn't resist. I mean, it had rolling Sonic on the actual disk for Christ's sakes. It was the best present ever. So I popped it into the computer, got it to boot up, annnnnd.... I didn't get past the first level because fuck, these controls, and that level design, and... How the fuck did I time travel?! When I was a kid, my motto was if I couldn't immediately understand the controls and rules of a game, it was a rip-off, so I put it back in the case and never touched it again. I've seen it around the house a few times, but I couldn't tell you where it is now. Some memory. xP

198314_44487_front.jpg

My first game was Pokémon Yellow. I was in Year 1 in 1999 when the whole craze began to kick off and it was fun. One of my sisters got Red and the other got Blue so it was only natural that I got Yellow, I'm still the only one who plays Pokemon. Anyway I used to play the game a lot and I used to lie to my parent's saying that I had to be in a Pokemon Centre to be able to save the game.

Sonic_Adventure_2_cover.png

Sonic Adventure 2!

...don't judge me. Coincidentally I also hate this game now, and kinda have done for a long time. If you want some of my other (considerably better) first games, there's always Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee/Exoddus, and Super Mario 64 too.

Edited by Soundwave

Not completely certain, but the 4 game I remember most from being a kid were:

Sonic 1 for Mega drive

Sonic 2 for Game Gear (My strongest memory being the first boss, which I could never understand what it was or how to beat it...)

Crash Bandicoot 3

Crash bash

Which one (if any) was my first game is a mystery, but those are the ones I remember playing earliest.

I'm not sure what exactly my first game was in fact I can't even remember what the first game was that I paid for out of my own money.

But my first game must have been one that I played on using this.

commodore_64_compendium.jpg

The specific game though... I really don't know. I know I had turtles for it, but that wasn't the first game, I also had a ghostbusters game (not the nes version) which was based on the TV show and it was amazing.

I definately had the Dizzy collection, though I didn't really play any of them as I don't think I could get them to work.

It's probably one of these 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U5aYcFfubQ

I remember Shadow of the Beast for 2 reasons.

1: The music really freaked me out, it was unlike anyting I'd heard before, it was catchy, really great quality and had this haunting disturbing feel to it. That video above, thats what would greet me each time I played it, that same haunting music until the below happened.

2: It was a bastard hard game, Seriously, I couldn't beat the first stage, I dropped into this underground section and would be killed either by a fire statue, or a giant skelleton that I could never figure out how to kill.

Though... this was one game that I used to play A LOT on my Commodore. I'm not sure if it's my first game, but probably one of my first favourite games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0dH1a5O0aE

You play as a bird armed with a bow and arrow who is fighting robot cats and flying things with bows and arrows... ... .. .. .AWESOME!

I loved everything about this game, the graphics were great, the music is awesome, and still sounds really good today, frantic exciting and really adds to the gameplay, as it gets faster you try to match it... but it's a platformer! You need to be careful.

AND YOU PLAY AS A BIRD!

*looks at some people say their first game was on the Dreamcast/Gameboy*

Christ... I'm old... =(

• Thumbs Up 2

My first game, I believe was a Link to the Past. Which also happens to be my all-time favorite Zelda game.

588436_40267_front.jpg

Not a very big Zelda fan, but I have always appreciated this game and I love the gameplay, the mechanics, and pretty much everything about this game. I still remember having no clue what to do so I just walked around in the rain for like an hour until I discovered that little secret entrance in the castle. I was just a really stupid kid. This wasn't technically the first game I got though, this is the first game I've ever played. It was my brothers, and when he was gone I just decided to walk in and play...he didn't really care, he wasn't a big gamer. The first game I ever got was probably Crash Bandicoot, got it on launch day along with a Playstation One.

Edited by Reggie Fils-Aime

The first game I ever played period was Super Mario Bros. My mom would play it and would let me take a crack at it, though I was still an infant. She eventually sold them at a garage sale my grandparents had.

The first game I ever owned, though, was Sonic 2 that came with the Genesis my dad got me; it was for either Christmas or my birthday. I can't remember which. I still actually have them today.

Dear mercy I don't even know where I started, considering my parents bought me a bunch of gaming consoles fromfriends and we had a decent pc, but I guess:

SMB 3 on the nes, smw on the snes, dkc 1-3 on the snes, dk64 (even though I had no idea how to play it),

007 goldeneye on the n64, spongebob supersponge on the ps1, NFL blitz on the n64, and WCW/nWo Revenge are all the 1st games I played, as well as mega man 2 on the , omg it was one of my favorite games and really got me into megaman, there was also a superman game I had on pc and it was a shooter, but it continually played the superman theme and it was cd quality, I can't quite remember the name, but yeah I had alot of games. Oh I left out tetris, sml, and kirby's drealand on game boy. Ok now I think I'm done

My eldest brother was already so into gaming that by the time I was born we already had an expansive collection of NES titles... which my brother then sold and exchanged for a modest collection of SNES games when I was too young to remember.  (My mother refused to get us a Super Nintendo until we got rid of the old Nintendo)  That being said, I have no idea what my first actual game was, because I was playing games before I learned basic motor skills.  Okay, that might be a slight exaggeration.

However, the game I have the earliest memory of, and subsequently the game that most quickly causes me to curl into a ball and weep melodramatic nostalgia tears, is probably Super Mario World.

250px-Super_Mario_World_Coverart.png

Just looking at this box brings back so many fond memories.  It reminds me of a time that was more pure and innocent, but that's enough of that.  From an objective standpoint, I'd say SMB3 was the superior title, but I simply can't get myself to enjoy it more because of the geneal fondness I have for this game.  Not just because of the nostalgia either.  The atmosphere, the music, the graphics, the inclusion of Yoshi.  The game is just so jolly and joyful it's hard not to smile while you're playing it.

The first game that I owned however... depends on your definition of own.  SMW was always in my posession, but it wasn't inherently mine.  The game belonged to the family, not me personally.  The first game that ever belonged to me personally would have to be...

pokemonblue.jpg

Yeah, no one is really surprised by that.  This is a game that I simply can't hate despite some of its numerous problems.  This is a game that holds so much value to me, for both nostalgia and present-day purposes.  It's the game that single-handedly introduced me to my love of music.  Without attempting to fuel the creepypasta memes and other such related to the town, the Lavender Town theme legitimately did spook me as a child in a way that I can't even begin to descibe in words.  You would think that would draw me away from music, but no.  I loved the way the music could so drastically change my emotions.

The problem with Pokémon Blue, however, was that everyone wanted it, but their birthdays were all too far off.  So when it just happened that me, being the human doormat that I am, obtained the game first, friends and family sort of took over it and adopted the game as their own.  So even though it did belong to me, it didn't feel like it was mine.  But it's okay, because later on I got...

250px-Pokemon_Yellow.png

And what an amazing game it was... until the same thing happened and it stopped being mine.

At least there's no way that could happen with...

Sonic_Adventure_2_cover.png

Except that it did... and then it happened again with the GameCube port... and then again with SADX.  Then again with Super Mario Sunshine... so in essence, the first game I ever bought that I ever felt I truly owned was...

4I0ykVjl.jpg

Fuck my life.

No, Soniman, I am not saying that I hate this game.  I'm just saying that it's not something I'd be considerably more thrilled to have as the first game I felt I had complete ownership of.

And I notice that a lot of you older chaps grew up with Comodore games and other such marvels of the early 80's.  Don't think I missed out on that bliss.  When I was a kid (not sure what grade), my (morally and technologically impared) elementary school thought it might be a good idea to upgrade the school with the most state-of-the-art computers the late mid-to-late 90's had to offer.

C64combo.jpg

Yeah, not exactly as planned.  In fairness, I'm not even sure if it was an actual Comodore or what.  It was a computer similar to the Comodore with similar graphical capabilities (and I'm pretty sure the copyright notice said 1981, but it's been many years so I don't know).  It was used primarily in playing "educational" games, but the school caught on quickly to the fact that it wasn't helping improve test scores and promptly tossed them out the window.  So yes, for about two weeks, I got to pretend to be an 80's kid before I even knew that being an 80's kid was an actual thing.  Go figure.

But now I'm delving more into the territory of "games I played when I was little" and not "my first game," so I'll stop now before I go onto write a novel.

First game I ever played? Either Mario Bros. (As Luigi) or Duck Hunt, on my cousin's NES.

But first game I ever owned? Sit back, and this game will tell you the story of a 9 year old kid whose dad bought him a Playstation for his good grades at school. Probably, the (at the time not-so) old man saw on the cover of that game a character whose adventures entertained (and, as a matter of fact, still do) his kid, be they on TV or on Comic form. A game I look back with nostalgia, a reminder of more carefree times. As a wise man once said "It all started with a mouse".

sINmU54.jpg

It was...a timeless experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

The first game I ever played was Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped on the PS1. I loved it and I still do today, it's one of my favourite games.

It's also the inspiration for my username.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 1

with DOOM coming Close

Try to elaborate a little, as we like to see at least two or three full sentences per post, and it is always fun to read about others' feelings and experiences with these kind of subjects. ^.^

The first game I played?

The first game I ever played must have been Super Mario Bros. for the NES at my relatives' house. I always looked so much forward to going there, because they would let me watch and even try Super Mario Bros. They had other games, as well, but there was simply something about that game in particular that appealed to me so. Collect every coin, stomp on enemies, break everything I see, collect more coins, achieve the highest score and become super and launch fireballs while progressing through as far and through as many new areas as possible. It was a blast!

super-mario-bros-nes-013.jpg

My first game that I actually owned? If Mamba for Windows 3.11 does not count, it would have to be Super Mario All-Stars. When I was 5 or so, my grandfather bought a Super Nintendo bundled with Super Mario All-Stars while he was travelling through other countries. I remember it so well, I did not even know how to react. I had never received anything so big before, and it even contained an upgraded version of the game I loved so much. Awesome overload!

Do not worry, my dear friends! Only a year had passed until I joined a friend home from school and was introduced to Sonic the Hedgehog in his basement. I truly loved that, as well, but I did not have the heart to ask for another console at home.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well my brother (who is 10 years my senior) had a NES, Amiga 500, Commodore 64, a Gameboy and a Toshiba MSX and basically introduced me to gaming at around age 3 or 4, as well as a slew of bad influences via Mortal Kombat, GTA, etc during the mid 90s when I was around 10. tongue.png

I'm not sure what my first game actually was, but Super Mario Bros, The Secret of Monkey Island and Tetris were amongst my first. Could possibly have been something random that I don't remember though. The joys of a crappy memory! happy.png

That. Music. Goddamn. wub.png

• Thumbs Up 2

My first game was Super Mario Bros for the NES. At the time, I did not own any game consoles at all, so I had to resort to play it at friend's houses. I became hooked though and even though I was horrible at the game when I first started, I became really good at all later on. I used to think the sound that played when Mario died was really funny when I was little, so I would intentionally lose a life in the game just to hear it and start cracking up.

• Thumbs Up 4