Awoo.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii-U/Switch) - It's the cat's meow!

Nintendoga

Mario 3D World uses 8-Way movement

Mega ew :/ my hype was dampened a bit.

Seems like it would make it easier for D-Pad control along with 2D sections. Honestly, I don't even think most of us noticed this in 3D Land. The fact that I didn't means I'm not even worried.

Anyways, I just booted up 3D Land to notice this and I don't even feel the 8 directional movement. Is that what Pokemon X and Y is doing? With the 3DS Circle Pad, I definitely felt that there was more room then just going in 8 different directions. I guess it didn't feel as free but it didn't feel restrictive either.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

So the controls won't be/feel as seamless and wonderful as Galaxy then? sad.png

If there's one thing I trust Ninty with it's polished controls. If they opted for 8 way movement I'm positive it's because it worked better with the design of the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guys. Nintendo did not go "LETS PICK 8 WAY MOVEMENT TO MAKE THE GAME WORSE"

There's a reason.

Not really seeing the problem with 8-way movement. The level design is filled with perpendicular lines, and 45/90 degree structures. It only makes sense that you would direct the character in 45 degree increments. It worked for 3D Land.

And hell, we've got a user here who played it and said that it wasn't a problem-- that it even helped.

I played it and it was fine. It does make lining up jumps easier, actually. Or staying straight while going over all DEM DASH PEEDS.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, there's no wiggle in your movement so you're going to jump in the direction you want to, and you're not going to be running off tight platforms unless you really botch your finger movements.

Edited by Super Mario

Here's some footage I took at the Nintendo Best Buy demo event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-NQEbTz6vs

When I played it I got to play as Mario but got second place because the guy who chose Luigi beat me by 400 points. Fucking Luigi man.

I've got no problem with the 8-way movement. It was perfectly ok in 3D Land, and I expect it to be no different here.

Besides, they kind of had to make it 8-way movement. Thing about it logically. If they're expecting you to play 4-player multiplayer, then 3 players are going to need to use Wii Remotes and it's a safe bet that not every single one will have a Nunchuk lying around as well for full analog movement. You could see from the demos alone that people were playing with Wii Remotes held like NES controllers using the D-pad to move, and it works fine.

Here's some footage I took at the Nintendo Best Buy demo event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-NQEbTz6vs

When I played it I got to play as Mario but got second place because the guy who chose Luigi beat me by 400 points. Fucking Luigi man.

This is why I try to avoid over shoulder footage, you always have that one person who doesn't know how to shut the fuck up lol.

I like what I'm seeing tbh, but I'd much preferred something on a much grander scale like Galaxy.

Can you imagine playing a Galaxy styled game with Peach? 

*little hearts appear above head*~

Edited by Super Soniko
  • Thumbs Up 1

I didn't even notice that 3dland had eight-way movement. Regardless I'm not worried since Mario games usually have excellent controls, unless you're Sunshine :).

It's funny how much people are making a big deal out of the eight-way movement thing. It's been described as equal to Super Mario 3D Land, and that game didn't have eight-way movement. It had sixteen-way movement that would snap to directions to make the platforming a lot more sturdy, and anyone who played it would know how rock-solid and almost completely unnoticable that aspect of the game was.

Certain levels could even free the directions of movement or make them sturdier depending on the layout. It's a complete non-issue. It's not going to make the game any less controllable or free to move around, and even Galaxy and Sunshine could arguably be attributed as eight-way movement by those standards due to the octagonal control stick. Complaining about it is essentially complaining about what sounds like a limit on paper but frankly is not as bad as you make it out to be.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm just going to say this about the game. If you liked the New Super Mario Bros. series but wanted more from it and you liked 3D land, then this game is for you.

Though, if for some reason you are still expecting something akin to Galaxy then you will not enjoy it as much (this coming from a person that's not into Mario games).

Super Mario 3D World Camera Feature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1gmVg07VZo

Koichi Hayashida the producer of Super Mario 3D World talks about the camera feature for Super Mario 3D World.

Normal Toad has a white cap with blue spots.

Small Toad has a blue cap with white spots.

Fire Toad looked like he might have had either a yellow cap or a white cap with red spots.  The footage I saw it in was not the best, so I'm not sure, but it was definitely not blue.

Small Peach seems to have shorter hair, proportionally speaking, than Normal Peach.

Fire Peach has a white and red dress with a ponytail.

I'm curious to see what Tanooki Peach and Toad end up looking like.  I expect one of them, probably Toad, to be a Kitsune like Luigi, and I can't figure out if Peach will have a Tanooki/Kitsune dress, or if she'll wear an actual suit like the Cat Suit.

Their Tanooki forms will probably look like they did in 3D Land's ending cutscene illustration and credits sequence.

Fire Toad has a yellow cap with Red Spots, like the super mushrooms in the original Super Mario Bros.

Edited by Super Mario

I like Peach changes her apperence somewhat with the fire ball (hair up) Reminds me of sunshine. And being that its pretty much Mario 3d Land in HD? Really looks impressive with them upscalling the 3ds models for Wii U. Can't wait for this game.

The basic gameplay formula is from 3D Land, yes. Everything else is different enough for the game to not deserve that label, though.

Their Tanooki forms will probably look like they did in 3D Land's ending cutscene illustration and credits sequence.

Yeah, probably.  I'm just acknowledging the possibility that they might change things up a bit, either for a practical purpose like better color distinction, or purely for variety's sake.  Also, the fact that Cat Peach is wearing a suit like the others makes me question if they'd give her a Tanooki Dress.  Then again, Tanooki floating would actually be a downgrade for her, so they may keep her in a dress for reasons along those lines.

Fire Toad has a yellow cap with Red Spots, like the super mushrooms in the original Super Mario Bros.

You absolutely sure?  That was my first instinct, but the footage I saw of Fire Toad was off-screen, so I wasn't sure if it was actually yellow and not just the light's reflection playing tricks.

Uh.. wasn't Toad in NSMBU? The fire flower was in that game.

Yes, but Toad isn't strictly following the precedent that game set up.  His cap colors swap when he's small and, as Super Mario has reassured me, his Fire form matches Yellow Toad rather than Blue Toad.

I swear the guy I was playing with had a yellow cap with red spots, yeah. I was trying to focus on myself obviously, but he wasn't blue and red. I can tell you that.

I would've killed to have them make Fire Peach ambiguously brown like a lot of fanartists drew here as.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't they say they didn't put Peach in NSMB because they couldn't find a way to program her dress/float?

Oh, they magically did it here. angry.png