Awoo.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii-U/Switch) - It's the cat's meow!

Nintendoga

Didn't they say they didn't put Peach in NSMB because they couldn't find a way to program her dress/float?

Oh, they magically did it here. angry.png

They were talking out their asses

Their asses didn't have skirts which made them far easier to animate being talked out of.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think that statement at the time was mostly tongue in cheek, or just bullshit. In truth, I seriously doubt that Peach was ever considered a contender as a playable NSMB character.

Fire Toad's cap reminded me of the Mega Mushroom.

595px-MegamushroomNSMB2.png

There was at least orange/red color scheme going on with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think that statement at the time was mostly tongue in cheek, or just bullshit. In truth, I seriously doubt that Peach was ever considered a contender as a playable NSMB character.

I thought it'd be nice to have her as a playable character, but the toad characters had a similar physique to a Mario character than Peach does. And if one of the four had a dress, we'd have to come up with a special programming to handle how the skirt is handled in the gameplay, and that's really the only reason why Peach isn't playable (laughs).

angry.png

Oh well. Too late now.

They could render her skirt just fine in Brawl, which didn't have plastic-ass graphics either... so yeah, it was BS.

The original explanation was probably a joke.

There was a more recent explanation that was more reasonable.  It was basically to the effect of "Peach would have to able to float, and we're choosing to keep all of the characters equal."  I remember it well because it matched up fairly well with my interpretation of the situation.

Essentially, they DIDN'T use Peach in games where everyone was designed to play the same, and they DID use her in a game where everyone was designed to be different.

The original explanation was probably a joke.

There was a more recent explanation that was more reasonable.  It was basically to the effect of "Peach would have to able to float, and we're choosing to keep all of the characters equal."  I remember it well because it matched up fairly well with my interpretation of the situation.

Essentially, they DIDN'T use Peach in games where everyone was designed to play the same, and they DID use her in a game where everyone was designed to be different.

That really bugged me, and still does, because they made Luigi and Toad play the same as Mario. Why was Peach different? Also, other 2D platformers released by Nintendo recently had characters with different abilities, and that was no problem. If they were so insistent on sameyness, they could have simply made a toggle for alternate abilities, like how in Return to Dreamland you could play as other Kirbies if you wanted to.

Basically, their excuses were moot.

That really bugged me, and still does, because they made Luigi and Toad play the same as Mario. Why was Peach different? Also, other 2D platformers released by Nintendo recently had characters with different abilities, and that was no problem. If they were so insistent on sameyness, they could have simply made a toggle for alternate abilities, like how in Return to Dreamland you could play as other Kirbies if you wanted to.

Basically, their excuses were moot.

I've said this at least once before in another topic, but Luigi has always been a carbon copy of Mario.  The reason he was created in the first place was to be a Player 2 Mario, and throughout his entire history, with the exception of two games that explicitly didn't feature his innate physical abilities, he has never been more than a mild variant of Mario.  Playing the same as Mario is reasonably in character for him.  Playing completely differently from Mario would actually be wrong in Luigi's case.

The Toads, in contrast, just aren't real characters.  Their function was always to be copies of the lead character, and there is no better proof of this than New Super Luigi U.  Despite playing exactly like Mario in NSMB Wii and U, they suddenly play exactly like Luigi in NSLU.

Peach is different because there is no justification for her to be exactly the same.  She HAS to be different in some way.

As for other games, well, first of all, I did not in any way say that keeping characters equal was some kind of universal design philosophy.  Why would the design logic of the developers of a specific sub-series of games in one particular franchise have any bearing on games from other franchises made by other people?  The people making NSMB wanted their characters to be equal, for balance or whatever.  End of point.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've said this at least once before in another topic, but Luigi has always been a carbon copy of Mario.

Incorrect.

Peach is different because there is no justification for her to be exactly the same.  She HAS to be different in some way.

The justification is "this is a game where all the characters play the same". That is a completely valid justification.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ninja'd by Diogenes...

Luigi has different jumps and traction in over 50% of the games he's in. Toad's first instance of playability also featured different jumping and speed. And Luigi's creation is not important; he has become someone with different abilities. He even has the different abilities in an NSMB game - NSL.

Why? I see no reason why she can't just... I don't know... not float. Put her in pants if you have to.

Edited by Martha Jones

Speaking of Luigi, it'd be awesome if he had his missile move in this game.

...and his crazy voodoo dance!

Although we might rather see Peach doing the dancing.

Well being that Luigi's missile attack has made it twice now... im sure it will be in it.

Luigi is fucking tired of people downplaying him. He's always in the shadow of his brother. He's never treated as his own person.

Worst of all? Even in the year of Luigi people are mistreating him.

Poor Luigi. ;_;

sadluigi.jpg

That reminds me. When I got the top spot in the 3D World demo the Nintendo rep announced the player. Being Mario, I responded "Of course, he's always on top". Then the guy reminded me it was the year of Luigi. I then realized, I had forgotten about poor Luigi since I was Mario. I'm an awful person.

Edited by Super Mario
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ok, apparently 'carbon copy' doesn't mean what I thought it meant.

The point I was trying to make is that Luigi's general skill set and abilities are the same as Mario's but with subtle differences, as opposed to other characters who are more significantly different, like Wario or Yoshi for example. The Mario Bros. are BOTH fairly well balanced characters with a lean toward agility due to their advanced jumping skills. The differences tend to be either statistical, like higher jumps and lower traction, or things that are similar in concept but different in detail, like the Spin Jump and High Jump in Superstar Saga, or the Firebrand and Thunderhand. They're the same, but different, except in personality, that's actually completely different.

Luigi has never been drastically different from Mario, only subtly so. Thus, it's sensible for him to be the exact same as Mario in one game, and slightly different in the next. It's in character for him either way.

Also, I know that they can just say 'this is a game where everyone's the same' but that's not really satisfying to me. I, personally, would prefer to see Peach be reserved for games where she gets to be her own character in some way over just having her be in whatever as what would essentially be an alternate skin for Mario.

Lastly, I'd just like to say that I looooove the fact that I'm allegedly "mistreating" Luigi when I seem to be the only one who actually understands and appreciates his history and nature as a character.

"Luigi is very similar to Mario."

"HOW DARE YOU SAY THESE HORRIBLE TRUE THINGS ON THE YEAR OF LUIGI."

I will concede that I fucked up a little in expressing my thoughts, though.

Lastly, I'd just like to say that I looooove the fact that I'm allegedly "mistreating" Luigi when I seem to be the only one who actually understands and appreciates his history and nature as a character.

It's a joke.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a joke.

Well...clearly I didn't pick up on that.

Honestly, it seemed to me like you were trying to  make me look like an asshole, and I seem to have accidentally proven that I need no help with that.

Regardless, I apologize for the heated response.

I was honestly expecting it to be like "You can now play as Peach!"

I was of course, wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was honestly expecting it to be like "You can now play as Peach!"

I was of course, wrong.

"...in the sequel!"

• Thumbs Up 3

I was able to play 2 levels of this at the Nintendo Experience event. To those of you who are worried about the 8-directional movement, don't be. The controls are even better than in Galaxy 2. In fact, they're so good that I didn't even notice that restriction while playing it. Besides that though, the music is great (Both of the levels that I played had original music) and the graphics are a nice step up from SMG2 and it looks even better because it runs at 60 FPS (Unlike 3D Land). Oh, and the levels are actually quite big despite being the game being linear in nature. There were a lot of paths for me to take in both of the levels, and a lot of tiny secrets such as massive stacks of coins.

Also, the Cat powerup is broken as hell. It might just be even more broken than the Tanooki Suit in SMB3 or the Cape Feather in SMW. You're practically invincible when you're attacking (Dat dive attack) and you can climb up any wall, even after wall-jumping.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just got baclk from the Nintendo Experience event, and oh my God, 3D World is SO much fun. Granted, I only played 2-1 and 4-Boss (and that was only because I got there early), but it was a blast all the way through. I also managed to get all the Luigi Loot. It was great.

• Thumbs Up 1