Awoo.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii-U/Switch) - It's the cat's meow!

Nintendoga

I'd love Yoshi, Wario or Daisy as unlocks, maybe even Rosalina, then all my fav Mario characters would be playable! And Yoshi and Wario were in Mario 64.

But I'll be honest, I totally agree with Nintendoga, they're already pushing the classic formula by adding Peach, I don't think they'll take that any further. Mario 64 DS sounds like a crazy person's crazy dream nowadays, I'm beginning to wonder how they ever got permission to make it. Wario has almost never appeared in a mainseries Mario game, for one, he, like Waluigi and Daisy are characters that are practically never acknowledged in Mario platformers.

I'd love more like Mario 64 DS though. Playable Wario and Yoshi was a dream come true back then :(

• Thumbs Up 3

64DS came along before the Wii, DSLite, NSMB and MKDS, all of which sort of marked a turning point for Nintendo's image and Mario's mainstream appeal. Before then the series wasn't so adverse to experiments and going against the status quo.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'd love Yoshi, Wario or Daisy as unlocks, maybe even Rosalina, then all my fav Mario characters would be playable! And Yoshi and Wario were in Mario 64.

But I'll be honest, I totally agree with Nintendoga, they're already pushing the classic formula by adding Peach, I don't think they'll take that any further. Mario 64 DS sounds like a crazy person's crazy dream nowadays, I'm beginning to wonder how they ever got permission to make it. Wario has almost never appeared in a mainseries Mario game, for one, he, like Waluigi and Daisy are characters that are practically never acknowledged in Mario platformers.

I'd love more like Mario 64 DS though. Playable Wario and Yoshi was a dream come true back then sad.png

Speaking of 64DS, that game was awesome :)

It was packed full of content ranging from surprisingly solid mini games that made good use of the touch screen, the remastered graphics looking better than the original, and the new playable characters adding more variety to the game (loved playing as Yoshi, made levels more dynamic as you had to balance using the character caps and his own abilities). 

Wish instead of 3d World we gotten 64 2 with this concept expanded further, making the levels more open-ended and giving you tons of new ways to collect stars :)

• Thumbs Up 2

We did, it was called Sunshine.

Speaking of 64 DS, it's surprising how much effort they put into that game. It really was a well done remake, and it's only criticism (the controls) were rendered null and void with the 3DS.

I'd love for us to get a Sunshine 3DS remake.

• Thumbs Up 2

We did, it was called Sunshine.

Speaking of 64 DS, it's surprising how much effort they put into that game. It really was a well done remake, and it's only criticism (the controls) were rendered null and void with the 3DS.

I'd love for us to get a Sunshine 3DS remake.

Well, since Sunshine used the GC Controllers pressure triggers, I don't think that will happen.  We did get DKC Returns on 3ds however, so Wii/GC remakes on the system are not imposable to pull off.

I didn't like SM64DS anywhere near as much as the original. It seemed soulless, and the new content felt like it was thrown in just for the sake of having new content without considering whether it would enhance the game or be meaningful in any way. Existing content was spread out across the characters to justify their presence, and whatever new levels were added weren't anything special or memorable. I also think the textures are very ugly looking, and the game just doesn't look as appealing to me as the N64 version. And yeah the controls dampened my already sour experience with the game. SM64 is not a game that I would want to have a run button for.

About the one thing I can say that SM64DS really improved over the original is the wall jump.

• Thumbs Up 2

I kinda see SM64DS as like the Pokèmon Yellow to Mario 64's Pokèmon Red & Blue rather than a straight up remake.

SM64 DS was interesting... I remember enjoying a lot of the new stuff when I first played it, but I don't really remember much specific about it besides a lot of rabbits to chase, the Goomba King from Paper Mario being a boss and a few other things. I ain't gonna say it wasn't a fine game, but pretty much every time I wanted a Mario 64 fix after the initial playthrough I'd find myself going for the original. 

• Thumbs Up 1

One of the most frustrating things in the game for me is having to switch characters in Super Mario 64 DS. I hate having to run all the way to their respective rooms to switch to them. It's even more annoying when the next mission you play after switching is for a character you don't have/aren't playing as(especially if its a Yoshi mission). Seems like this won't be the case in 3d land.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of the most frustrating things in the game for me is having to switch characters in Super Mario 64 DS. I hate having to run all the way to their respective rooms to switch to them. It's even more annoying when the next mission you play after switching is for a character you don't have/aren't playing as(especially if its a Yoshi mission). Seems like this won't be the case in 3d land.

See that's why you always use Yoshi and just grab a hat if you need someone else.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Playing as Yoshi bothers me because you're playing as another character but with Yoshi's voice, and of course taking damage knocks off your hat which is something you always have to keep in mind.

• Thumbs Up 3

Kinda agree with Sean anyway, I adored the concept but it felt soulless compared to Mario 64, the gimmicks made it a bit of a chore to get around and do various things, and the idea of having different characters to play as was tough when the lazy side of you just played as Yoshi the whole time.

Back then, Yoshi was my fav character, but I've always loved Luigi and Wario so playing as them being something you had to go out of the way to do was kinda annoying!

Overall though even if it doesn't beat the original and falls flat in some aspects I really love that the game exists. More Luigi, Wario and Yoshi in 3D Marios please.

Edited by SuperLink

64DS was rough around the edges and the run button shtick sucked, but I still think it's an awesome formula. It gave me an incentive to play as all of the characters instead of just my favourite one; Yoshi couldn't even enter Big Boo's Haunt. 3DW will most likely follow the formula of 3DL, whereby you can play as the other characters and it doesn't really amount to anything more than a different moveset. And of course, open-ended levels and collect-a-thons are but a distant memory in Mario games now.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

I didn't mind the new characters, Luigi in SM64 is awesome because of all of those rumors back when the N64 version came out. Yoshi also played differently enough to justify having him as a separate character, and he was pretty fun too. Wario, though? I love Wario but I wish they incorporated some of his Wario Land moves in the game. He was such a pain to play as in SM64, which is ironic considering how agile he is in his own games, even if not quite as much as Mario.

I hated how the actual content was spread out among the characters though, since you obviously only play as Mario in the original but now some stars are completely inaccessable to him simply because they decided to strip him of two of his power-ups. It felt like an artificial justification of having the new characters there, rather than allow them to complete the game in their own ways and taking advantage of what they could bring to the table that Mario in the original game could not. In other words, SM64DS felt like it was filled mostly with padding.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember loving 64DS at the time because it was essentially an n64 game on a handheld; it was insanely new to me. Then when I came back to it years later... I remember not thinking as much of it.

The problem with SM64DS is that they tried to pull it off on a system that was't up to snuff imo, if they tired on the 3DS however id think it turn out fine.

Aside from not having an analog stick I'm not sure what the DS was lacking in this case.

SM64DS only lacked in game design, the DS was plenty powerful infact SM64DS was one of the games that utilised the system best for quite some time, it even made the game feel analogue despite only having 8 digital directions.

Definitely an issue with game design more than any sort of limitation.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Miyamoto says some stuff in new interview:

Can we touch on Mario briefly? Super Mario 3D World is a successor to 3D Land. What was it about 3D Land that was a good model for Wii U now?

I think there may an impression that Mario 3D Land did well, so that's why we decided to bring that to Wii U. But, in fact, what we really try to do is look at, "What is the easiest way for people to play the Mario games?" And certainly we have the new Super Mario Bros. series, which is the new sidescrolling games, and those are particularly easy to play for people who are more novice gamers. You've got four-player multiplayer. And then we have games like the Galaxy series.

What we tried to do with Super Mario 3D Land, was try to create a Mario game that was set in a 3D world that fell somewhere between the openness of the Galaxy games and the sidescrolling of the new Super Mario Bros. games to create a 3D Mario game that a wider array of people could play. And we felt that, with Super Mario 3D Land, we managed to achieve that. So, what we wanted to do was extend that broader appealing 3D Mario game to Wii U in a way that allow more people to experience it. That's what we chose for Super Mario 3D World this time. But we still have, obviously, the Galaxy series, and there's a possibility that in the future we may look to explore what else we can do with the Galaxy series. For us, it was really about trying to find the right 3D Mario space in which we're going to allow the widest audience to play.

It seems to place an emphasis on pipes. Was that intentional?

Well, of course, I worked on the original Mario games with my team, but [Yoshiaki] Koizumi and [Koichi] Hayashida were the producer and director of this game, and they started working on Mario games later. Apparently, they had always wondered what happens to Mario when he's gone inside those green pipes from before. And so, wondering that, they came up with the idea of, "Why don't create a clear pipe where we can see what Mario is doing, and then create this fun gameplay around that?" When they brought that and showed it to me, I actually thought it was pretty fun, so I approved that and let them move forward.

What's really fun is, when you have the fire flower, you can actually throw fireballs into the pipes, and they go bouncing through the pipes and shooting out at the other end.

The New Super Mario Bros. series emphasizes multiplayer and the new Mario 3D World on Wii U emphasizes multiplayer. Do you see multiplayer being a core part of the Mario franchise moving forward, or would you still consider doing a Mario game that was single-player only?

Before there was the Super Mario Bros. series, there was just the Mario Bros. game, and that was a 2-player multiplayer game. So, even from those very early days, we always wanted to include some type of multiplayer. When the new Super Mario Bros. team on Wii was able to do that and include the four-player multiplayer in the side-scrolling fashion, we very quickly found that our team really liked that, and they immediately said, "Well, we want to do the same thing in a 3D Mario space." They've had a lot of fun exploring that. But definitely with the single-player Mario experience, there's still a lot of possibilities that we can explore, so I think we'll probably go back to that again at some point.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/07/05/miyamoto-talks-zelda-pikmin-and-wii-u-development.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

Some interesting comments in there about other games as well, but that's for other threads.

Galaxy 3 mildly possible. Make of that what you will. 

Edited by Chili Dawg

I don't want a Galaxy 3. I want a new, epic, ambitious 3d Mario like Galaxy was. Is that so fucking hard to ask?

Galaxy 3 essentially confirmed. Make of that what you will.

Not really. He's just saying they might go back to it, as is a pretty typical thing to say. 

I think there may an impression that Mario 3D Land did well, so that's why we decided to bring that to Wii U. But, in fact, what we really try to do is look at, "What is the easiest way for people to play the Mario games?"

Fuck off, Miyamoto. This is not what I want out of Mario.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

Yes. 

I really wouldn't want a Galaxy 3 either. The first 2 were excellent enough, I'd rather my mind blown in new exciting ways. But I'm sure if I saw the thing I'd end up changing my tune.

Tho I really shouldn't sensationalize and say it's essentially confirmed, really just that it's something that's possible. It is pretty rare Nintendo flat out says no about anything, unless it's F-Zero.  But the fact that he says "we still have the Galaxy series" when not even specifically asked about Galaxy says to me that it's something they intend to go back to.

Galaxy 3 essentially confirmed. Make of that what you will.

Man there's like 3 different levels of "maybe" in that sentence, that's not confirmed in any sense.

e:

Fuck off, Miyamoto. This is not what I want out of Mario.

Wait what's so terrible about this. Edited by Diogenes

Yeah, I know, I was being like a video game journalist type asshole and making massive leaps of logic.