Awoo.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii-U/Switch) - It's the cat's meow!

Nintendoga

e:

Wait what's so terrible about this.

It's the way 3DL and NSMB have been designed as overly simple and unimaginative, causing Mario as a whole to become incredibly stale. I don't want Mario to become some super-hardcore series or anything like that, but I do want the series to continue bringing new things to the table which is exactly what it's no longer doing.

Edited by Blue Blood

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other? He was talking about making games that new players can get into, that doesn't mean they can't also do new, interesting things.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, the two are synonymous. Mimicking the 2D gameplay in 3D is just one of the ways they can make it easier for lapsed or new gamers to get into the more complicated Mario games.

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other? He was talking about making games that new players can get into, that doesn't mean they can't also do new, interesting things.

Again, the games they've been making lately seem to suggest otherwise.

Yeah, I know, I was being like a video game journalist type asshole and making massive leaps of logic.

Would you like a job at Kotaku? :D

3D Land was seen by many as something of a "bridge" game. The devs said in Iwata Asks and stuff that a lot of more casual types were able to pick up 2D Marios very naturally but the 3D ones could be kind of difficult, so 3D Land basically formed a middle ground for 2D Mario players to jump into 3D Mario... and the proof is in the pudding, that thing fuckin' sold, can't really blame 'em for trying to replicate that success.

I just hope that if they're trying to ease people into 3D platforming, they make some crazy ass 3D platforming worth being eased into.

I'm still thinking that Nintendo have absolutely no intention of stopping with the innovation in 3D Marios. This is just one game, it's a 4 player coop 3D platformer, something the industry sorely lacks, I'm really happy it exists because I'd much rather play a coop 3D Mario than a coop 2D Mario, and this is a comfortable way to do it.

Like, I dunno

the way I see it, I'd rather this game did exist than didn't exist.

There's still plenty of time for what comes next, do you guys really think the only Mario platformers will be out in the first year of the console's release?

• Thumbs Up 5

And it's not like we haven't seen anything new in the game. Clear pipes, Co-op and the cat suit come to mind and there's probably much more than that. In the end it matters far more how they use these things, though, if you ask me. SA2 also had planetoids with their own gravity and it didn't work nearly as well as Galaxy and nobody seems to even remember it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Despite the fact that the only boss shown is some sort of Hydra, similar to Triclyde. It was the boss playable in the demo too. I was going to fight it, but the Nintendo rep suggested I play another stage instead, so I got the most gameplay time.

Edited by King Of Awesome

It's always Bowser, Bowser Jr. and/or the Koopalings in these games. I'll be surprised if none of these koopas turn up in this game.

The only boss shown so far was none of those.

Yeah but that doesn't mean none of the koopas will appear.

There's a 99.99% chance Bowser is appearing, considering his logo is seen a few times. Game confirmed for NSMB: 3D Edition, worst game ever, Mario and Nintendo are doomed, etc. etc.

I don't see why they would have one totally original, unique boss, then re-use the Koopalings again.

And 3D Land didn't have mini-bosses halfway through the worlds, so I doubt we'll even see the Koopalings there either.

Stale and unimaginative are two words I'd never use to describe 3D Land.  Yes the staging was basic but the actual gameplay and visuals were all fantastically unique and original.  Even the stage gimmicks reused from Galaxy brought something new: flip-panels being jump activated rather than spin activated changed everything about what you had to keep in mind when moving across them, beat-blocks were given sequences of three movements rather than just switching back and forth between two, and even the wood panel/sawblade level had something new in the section where the long block moved across stationary saws, having pieces chopped out of it along the way.

I swear there's like this stigma that if every new Mario game doesn't change the series like Mario 3 did to Mario 1 it's automatically unoriginal.

It's ironic that I love Unleashed over on the Sonic side of things, because on the Mario side of things I feel like everyone else pays too much attention to the sense of feeling from the game and staging and story and visuals, and I'm in the minority for REALLY paying attention to, and appreciating every individual level design and how they challenge my Mario skills in a new way or at the very least give me something fun to play with.

• Thumbs Up 7

I want something really new from the main Mario series. I've been dying for an adventure-platformer for ages. Think Mario 64 mixed with Paper Mario (the first one) mixed with a little bit of Zelda/Skyrim (minus the seriousness).

Areas being connected, getting powerups and upgrades that allow you to advance via new moves (like higher jumps), places only certain characters like Luigi or Toad can reach. Kinda like Brave Fencer Musashi in a way, too.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think that a new epic Mario game like Galaxy actually is too much to ask for. I can't imagine how they can top that without Galaxy 3 in Hd :/

one thing they could work on is music. Galaxy 2 was the last awesomeness in the music department. NSMB is all BAHBAHBAH and the 3D Land/World games have immemorable tracks.

Edited by Scootaloo

Yeah but that doesn't mean none of the koopas will appear.

I'll give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt and say they won't appear, though I expect Bowser Jr. to show up because Nintendo know I can't stand him.

ACtualy, I get the feeling wart might show up, since peach hasnt been kidnapped, maybe he and bowser team up, or at war or something

getting powerups and upgrades that allow you to advance via new moves (like higher jumps), places only certain characters like Luigi or Toad can reach. Kinda like Brave Fencer Musashi in a way, too.

No way, noooo way.  Part of the reason I adore Mario games is that with the exception of a few KEY unlockables (namely switch palaces), every single course is beatable through skill alone.  There's no cockblocks.

Also hate when something like a higher jump is unlocked later on and then completely breaks earlier levels.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 5