Awoo.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii-U/Switch) - It's the cat's meow!

Nintendoga

No way, noooo way.  Part of the reason I adore Mario games is that with the exception of a few KEY unlockables (namely switch palaces), every single course is beatable through skill alone.  There's no cockblocks.

I agree with this, but I do wish that with this game there were some feats only certain characters could pull off.

Does anyone else just hate the clouds/dust that appears whenever Mario jumps/moves?

It's just making me crazy, I hate how much cloud/dust and shit appears when Mario just simply jumps. I really hope they tune that down, because I'd rather not have a 1/5th of the screen covered in white dust.

Sonic had that shit in Sonic 4 too but jesus, it wasn't anywhere as annoying as this.

I never really thought much on how much dust he kicked up. Looking back at the trailer, I thought it look reasonable. On normal grassy levels, there's a little bit. But on powdery or more dirty terrain, there's a bit more.

I think it's nice attention to detail.

Edited by Dr. YoshiUnity

I agree with this, but I do wish that with this game there were some feats only certain characters could pull off.

I'm sure there will be in terms of shortcuts and speedrunning at the very least.  It will be interesting to see how they balance Peach vs Toad actually.  While Toad is physically faster, only Peach could do shat like skipping the two towers in 4-3 on Mario 2.

3D World ain't poop, though. I played it.

Does anyone else just hate the clouds/dust that appears whenever Mario jumps/moves?

It's just making me crazy, I hate how much cloud/dust and shit appears when Mario just simply jumps. I really hope they tune that down, because I'd rather not have a 1/5th of the screen covered in white dust.

Sonic had that shit in Sonic 4 too but jesus, it wasn't anywhere as annoying as this.

They do it 3D land too. I'm not entirely sure why, I think it's meant to signify him going into dashing speed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, they only appear when dashing, to clearly communicate that Mario is doing such a thing.

Guys, Mario leaves that trail because he's got extremely sweaty, chafing feet, so he fills his shoes with talcum powder.

On topic: I've actually been replaying 3D Land in hype for this game, and because I never played all the way through to the true ending. This is literally the only Mario game where I'm not holding the run button down 100% of the time. It's great and mostly well-designed, but thankfully 3D World seems to be a bit faster, with a more zoomed-out camera.

I can never play a Mario game without holding the run button, its apart of me.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry y'all, no new updates, I just wanted to post my thoughts about this game.

So I've been watching some of the footage from the game from E3 to try and get a better feel for what this game's all about. While I still was hoping for a more "epic" Mario like the Galaxy games, I have to admit... I am really starting to warm up to this game in a new way. 

I kind of feel like people aren't going to take it seriously because of it's simple premise. But really, even Mario Galaxy was straightforward for the most part. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this game will be really amazing and will probably be a huge system seller in the long run. It's pure 3D Mario platforming, and that's kind of what a lot of us wanted in the first place. I'm still hoping for a 2nd, more traditional 3D Mario later down the pipeline (lol geddit?), but I think 3D World will do much better than "just fine." 

3D World ain't poop, though. I played it.

Did you click the link? It was Ratchet & Clank All 4 One.

Unless I missed a joke here.

Did you click the link? It was Ratchet & Clank All 4 One.

Unless I missed a joke here.

Yes, I did. I thought you were saying that perhaps 3D World could be poop due to precedent. Though it was more to tell people that this game does it way better than All 4 One, since I didn't really think you were implying that it could turn out bad like that.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

I'm sure there will be in terms of shortcuts and speedrunning at the very least.  It will be interesting to see how they balance Peach vs Toad actually.  While Toad is physically faster, only Peach could do shat like skipping the two towers in 4-3 on Mario 2.

It's most likely be Toad, with Peach for a few specific levels. I played as Toad at Best Buy and he raced past the other three most of the time.

I'm not much of a speedrunner, and I really get a kick out of pulling off tricks that aren't normally possible, so Luigi and Peach with their superior jumping skills will definitely be the ones for me. Toad coming after, and Mario practically never because I never find their to be any benefit to playing as the 'normal' character.

I'm still hoping for a 2nd, more traditional 3D Mario later down the pipeline

How do you get more traditional than this?

Traditional in the "3D" Mario sense... hub world, open ended worlds and star collecting. Basically the formula used from 64 to Galaxy 2.

• Thumbs Up 5

Traditional in the "3D" Mario sense... hub world, open ended worlds and star collecting. Basically the formula used from 64 to Galaxy 2.

Yes, because the Galaxy games weren't extremely linear. Nope, not at all.

Basically, 3D World simply lacks hub worlds and swaps out stars for end of level goals. So... What's the big difference between it and the Galaxy games, exactly?

Edited by Shirou Emiya
  • Thumbs Up 1

These days I actually think Mario 64 is the black sheep of the 3D games.  It's literally the only one that doesn't send you down a linear path.  Mario Sunshine SEEMS open but the level does re-arrange itself depending on the episode chosen, just like in Galaxy.  Unlike Galaxy you ARE free to explore other areas but there's nothing to gain from it other than 100% completion.  There are hidden shines, and one hidden star per Galaxy in SMG1&2, but these have far more in common with Secret Exits in 2D games and 3D Land than they do with Mario 64's formula of "go off an explore if you'd rather do that you mind find a different star from the hint".

I'd like another Mario 64 too, to clarify, but I do think 3D Land/World is just condensing Sunshine and Galaxy 1&2 into their purest form, cutting out the filler gameplay.

I hope there's a proper map in this one though, or even a hub world.  One thing I do think should be a mainstay is alternative routes and the ability to choose what levels to tackle at some points.

I find secret exits that skip levels like in 3D Land a pointless reward.  The only people who would be skilled enough to find them first time through are the exact people who will go back and play every level anyway because they're into Mario that much and don't want to skip any levels.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

How traditional is that for 3D Mario, though? Levels haven't been open-ended, outside a select few, since Galaxy (and Sunshine, to a lesser extent, as you're mostly restricted to getting the star of the mission you picked). Galaxy 2 barely had a hub worth noting, and 3D Land didn't have one at all. 3D Land didn't have stars, Galaxy 2 only cared about them at a few gates, and they barely mattered at all in Sunshine.

I find secret exits that skip levels like in 3D Land a pointless reward.  The only people who would be skilled enough to find them first time through are the exact people who will go back and play every level anyway because they're into Mario that much and don't want to skip any levels.

Sooooo agreed with this. I like where the map splits into two paths in the NSMB games, but skipping levels just seems pointless unless you're specifically time trialling the entire game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I swear, some of you guys need to play the game already! When I played it at the Best Buy event, I found tons of stuff in little hidden pathways in 1-1, and in 6-3 I saw so many split paths that I could go to it wasn't even funny. And with the addition of Green Stars to encourage exploration, the levels already seem like they're more open than a lot of the levels in the Galaxy games.

• Thumbs Up 2

6-3 sounds fantastic, but even with that said all the levels shown off in the trailers were terribly linear looking, and I'm afraid a majority of the game isn't going to be like what you just described.

Edited by Enderwoman

I replayed galaxy recently and yeah, it is incredibly linear, even the secret stars can only be obtained on certain missions :/

This does look really open and exploitable, the only thing we need now is flawless level transitions aka S3&K and it'll look like one huge world!

6-3 sounds fantastic, but even with that said all the levels shown off in the trailers were terribly linear looking, and I'm afraid a majority of the game isn't going to be like what you just described.

As I said, 1-1 had quite a few hidden paths in it. The Cat Suit allows you to climb up any wall, and every wall that I climbed (And got to the top of) in 1-1 led to something. I even found a giant stack of coins in a hard-to-see area in the pseudo-2D section of the level. The game is similar to Super Mario World in level design, except SM3DW is significantly more open. Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes
  • Thumbs Up 1

Red Cap, you can't even begin to imagine how jealous I am that you've had a chance to play the game.

• Thumbs Up 2