Awoo.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii-U/Switch) - It's the cat's meow!

Nintendoga

Nothing wrong with Mario's speed in Galaxy, it's still one of the best, if not the best 3D Mario games ever made, it still feels like a grander experience compared to 3D World too.

• Thumbs Up 4

Galaxy was also slower too, there was no running, just jogging or walking, 3D world has a much faster pace obivously. smile.png

Mario doesn't really need to move that fast in Galaxy...nothing really requires you to and it wouldn't really add to the game.

Super Mario Galaxy and to a lesser extent the sequel really did feel like grander experiences compared to 3D World. There are rumours however that there may be a third Galaxy game, so I do hope we get an epic Mario soon.

Whilst the Galaxy games are grander experiences with, in my opinion, slightly better soundtracks and superior boss battles I still feel that apart from those 3D World trumps those games in every other way.  Tighter control and mechanics, more creative level design, wonderful power up selection, gorgeous visuals and much greater replay-ability for me make it the superior game overall.  I fucking love the Galaxy games, but I love 3D World more. 

Whilst the Galaxy games are grander experiences with, in my opinion, slightly better soundtracks. 

Woah woah woah, back up there speedy, the only memorable songs from Galaxy to my recollection are Gusty Garden Galaxy, Battlerock Galaxy and Good Egg Galaxy, as much as I love Galaxy's OST, it doesn't even hold a flame to the overall quality of 3D World's OST, I find myself replaying stages JUST to hear the music again.

superior boss battles

I honestly fail to see how fighting a slightly bigger Bowser the same way every couple of Galaxy's on a small planetoid with hardly any change is better than 3D World's Bowser battle encounters, especially the final Bowser fight.

I can agree with the other bosses though at least, but 3D World Bowser absolutely decimates Galaxy's Bowser battles.

Tighter control and mechanics

I never had a problem with Mario's controls or mechanics in Galaxy at all, it was all finely tuned for what the game demanded, it was a lot easier to pull off dash long jumps too imo.

more creative level design

3D world's level design is only creative because of the tons of ideas thrown into it to keep it fresh, it's also mostly fine tuned to the 2D levels more so than the 3D levels, Galaxy had the whole gravitational pull on planets making exploration of the whole level in most cases possible and much more rewarding, I found myself constantly moving forward in 3D World rather than taking the time to appreciate the details in a stage at my own pace, 3D World is simply a Point A to Point B trek through most of the levels, where as Galaxy throws you into a playground to explore to your heart's content until you're ready to move forward, the progression in galaxy made the stages feel huge in comparison to 3D World's mini act stages.

wonderful power up selection

Cat suit is cool and all, but Cherries ended up annoying me having to keep an eye on 4 Mario's at once and make sure they were all running in a straight line, cool idea but still I feel it has nothing on Galaxy's creativity with power-ups, especially Ice Mario with skating over water/lava, or Cloud Mario's ability to create platforms on the fly making for some crazy level short cuts, or even Boo Mario.

gorgeous visuals

Galaxy doesn't? Honestly if you put these games side by side the quality is consistent in both, surely 3D World has better textures and apparent detail because of the HD boost, but Galaxy has the much nicer art style as well as incredible draw distance, the planets in the background are actually places you go to and not set pieces to create the whole "space feel" I also am incredibly in love with the cool highlight effect on Mario and the enemies giving a sort of "other worldly" glow to them which makes it feel even more like Mario is jumping through space, honestly Galaxy can contend with the best looking next gen games for it's time, and it still holds up well today, the game is ageing incredibly well.

and much greater replay-ability for me

This is probably the only point I can openly agree with, but it's all down to way 3D World is structured around the whole "get to the goal post!" It's a game that constantly moves you forward, with short acts, Mario Galaxy is so engrossing I honestly feel like I've got to sit down and finish it in one sitting because of how amazing it is, how grand and how much of an experience it leaves on you to be blasting through Space, 3D World is designed to keep you moving forward, Galaxy is designed to make you feel as though you're part of a massive adventure through space, and this is reflected by the huge levels and the way the warp sling stars take you through a level.

I'm not quoting you to say you're wrong or anything, I mostly just wanted a reason to gush about Galaxy tongue.png But for me, I'm still waiting for Galaxy to be dethroned as possibly the best game I've played to date in the 22 years I've been on this planet, Galaxy is simply every possible meaning of the word "fun".

If Nintendo make another sequel to Galaxy, if they applied the attention to detail and the soundtrack quality of 3D World to it, but kept the staples of Galaxy, then it'd hands down would be the greatest game to ever grace consoles for me, it'd be sheer perfection.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the whole power ups thing, galaxy's seemed a bit too situational for my taste, when my cousin used to have the game from what I played they somewhat felt as though they were just there, like for instance, with bee mario it wasn't a powerup you really got except when it was pretty much either quicker or required to go through certain segments and in galaxy 2's case the clouds could've just already been there, im not saying they are bad powerups (heck maybe they were used better in levels I didn't see or play) but they feel a bit too context sensitive.

I disagree, the power-ups were placed in levels that made sense, Bee Mario in levels with honey combs, Boulder in levels with long stretches of run way, Ice in levels dominated by fire, the fact that Fire and Ice were timed power-ups was kind of a good thing because it made it a raw Mario experience of where you couldn't take advantage of the power-up for the whole stage, something that 3D World is shamelessly victim of, it's no necessarily a bad thing, but I prefer Galaxy's presentation more so over 3D World's.

My main problem with Galaxy's handling of powerups is that they almost never end up feeling like power-ups, just puzzle solving tools. Cloud Mario (due to the incredible flexibility in how it can be used) and some instances of the Fire Flower are exceptions, but otherwise they're too tight a fit with their associated puzzles. They're generally highly restricted by timer or location, and they're often virtually useless outside of the puzzles they were created to solve anyway. Bee Mario's flight is moderately useful, but it's slow, and it usually only shows up when there's flower platforms or honeycomb walls to traverse. Spring Mario is a pain to control, but thankfully it only shows up when there's jumps that are (almost) too high to do normally. And as neat as it was to walljump up waterfalls, about all Ice Mario accomplishes is treating water as if it's plain solid ground.

3D World's oldschool style powerups actually power you up; their abilities aren't just keys to specific puzzles (though some such puzzles do exist), but also general survival tools, enhancements to your attacking and movement abilities.

• Thumbs Up 7

Speaking of awful power-ups, are there any power-ups like the Spring Mushroom in this game?

Woah woah woah, back up there speedy, the only memorable songs from Galaxy to my recollection are Gusty Garden Galaxy, Battlerock Galaxy and Good Egg Galaxy, as much as I love Galaxy's OST, it doesn't even hold a flame to the overall quality of 3D World's OST, I find myself replaying stages JUST to hear the music again.

Well, music of course is very subjective.  Whilst I absolutely love various tracks in 3D World's soundtrack and they fill me with joy just listening to them, I just found the soundtracks of the Galaxy games more immersive in general.  I don't typically rate a soundtrack by how "memorable" the tracks (and even on that ground I don't agree at all that the three tracks you stated are the only "memorable" tracks across both games) are as a whole because it's only a single element overall the contributes to the overall quality of the music in my opinion.  Typically I like to rate video game music by how it connects with me, how it emotive it is and how it absorbs me into what I'm experiencing so in that regard I personally find the Galaxy soundtracks to be a little superior.

I honestly fail to see how fighting a slightly bigger Bowser the same way every couple of Galaxy's on a small planetoid with hardly any change is better than 3D World's Bowser battle encounters, especially the final Bowser fight.

I can agree with the other bosses though at least, but 3D World Bowser absolutely decimates Galaxy's Bowser battles.

The Bowser boss battles are only a fraction of the bosses though.  There are more non Bowser battles across all three games than Bowser battles.  I agree that 3D World's Bowser fights are a lot more interesting than the Galaxy games, but all the other bosses barring Hisstocrat in 3D World are super lame and uninteresting and probably the weakest element of the game.

3D world's level design is only creative because of the tons of ideas thrown into it to keep it fresh, it's also mostly fine tuned to the 2D levels more so than the 3D levels, Galaxy had the whole gravitational pull on planets making exploration of the whole level in most cases possible and much more rewarding, I found myself constantly moving forward in 3D World rather than taking the time to appreciate the details in a stage at my own pace, 3D World is simply a Point A to Point B trek through most of the levels, where as Galaxy throws you into a playground to explore to your heart's content until you're ready to move forward, the progression in galaxy made the stages feel huge in comparison to 3D World's mini act stages.

Which is honestly a huge factor in the overall design of the levels.  I'm probably in a minority here, but in the grand scheme of things I've always really enjoyed point A to point B design particularly when it's done really well and always manages to craft a really memorable experience in just how you tackle the levels.  I of course don't object to exploration by any means but I firmly believe it's not objectively better (heck I don't even agree with Galaxy's level design being as open ended as people imply, but again I don't find this to be an issue).  Not to mention 3D World has this amazing way of cleverly teaching you about the level's main gimmick or mechanic near the start of the level, sometimes in a way you may not even consciously notice, and yet it just helps the player to understand and appreciate what's going on in the level without any sort of need for a tutorial.  I do however agree on the whole pacing argument however, but I found that mainly to be an issue with the timer as opposed to the level design itself.  The timer, even when I knew there was plenty of time left on the clock to spare, kind of makes you want to push through the levels.

Cat suit is cool and all, but Cherries ended up annoying me having to keep an eye on 4 Mario's at once and make sure they were all running in a straight line, cool idea but still I feel it has nothing on Galaxy's creativity with power-ups, especially Ice Mario with skating over water/lava, or Cloud Mario's ability to create platforms on the fly making for some crazy level short cuts, or even Boo Mario.

Don't get me wrong I really like a good number of Galaxy's power ups but there's also a number that felt very context sensitive as opposed to a neat extension of Mario's moveset (the ones you stated being the exceptions).  In addition, 3D World contains no power ups that I actively dislike using or feel intrusive and forced (like Spring Mario or Rock Mario).  They're there if you want to use them, but you never have to.  Also, I feel the Cat Suit trumps every power up you stated and infact think it's the greatest power up introduced to the series since the Cape Feather.  I think this may simply be a case of agreeing to disagree. 

I never had a problem with Mario's controls or mechanics in Galaxy at all, it was all finely tuned for what the game demanded, it was a lot easier to pull off dash long jumps too imo.

No where did I state I had a problem with them.  Galaxy's control is excellent, but 3D World's just felt tighter and more satisfying to me due to a combination of being able to easily dictate specific directions you want to move in due to the eight way movement and the overall weightier more satisfying physics carried on from 3D Land (the Galaxy games feel a tad floaty to me, though I guess that makes sense consider it's space and I prefer how much more potent the long jump is in that game).

Galaxy doesn't? Honestly if you put these games side by side the quality is consistent in both, surely 3D World has better textures and apparent detail because of the HD boost, but Galaxy has the much nicer art style as well as incredible draw distance, the planets in the background are actually places you go to and not set pieces to create the whole "space feel" I also am incredibly in love with the cool highlight effect on Mario and the enemies giving a sort of "other worldly" glow to them which makes it feel even more like Mario is jumping through space, honestly Galaxy can contend with the best looking next gen games for it's time, and it still holds up well today, the game is ageing incredibly well.

No where in my comment did I say or imply that the Galaxy games don't look gorgeous.  They definitely doe especially considering the technology.  I still feel that 3D World is visually a better game not just because of the increased texture quality, more advanced texture maps, higher poly models, higher resolution and superior lighting engine but also because the game artistically looks incredible to me.  I can't agree that Galaxy is an artistically better game than 3D World because 3D World to me seems like an evolution of Galaxy's aesthetic, aiming to craft Mario worlds with a greater level of detail and intricacy than ever before but still retaining the colourful, zany joy that Mario visuals have expressed in the past (barring the NSMB games).

I'm not quoting you to say you're wrong or anything, I mostly just wanted a reason to gush about Galaxy tongue.png But for me, I'm still waiting for Galaxy to be dethroned as possibly the best game I've played to date in the 22 years I've been on this planet, Galaxy is simply every possible meaning of the word "fun".

If Nintendo make another sequel to Galaxy, if they applied the attention to detail and the soundtrack quality of 3D World to it, but kept the staples of Galaxy, then it'd hands down would be the greatest game to ever grace consoles for me, it'd be sheer perfection.

That's cool.  Honestly it seems the way you feel about the Galaxy games is the way I feel about 3D World.  As I said in my comment before I still absolutely loved the Galaxy games when I played them and still do and think that they are spectacular games that pretty much revolutionized the platforming genre (before 3D World I would've easily ranked Galaxy 2 as my favourite Mario game of all time), I just love 3D World that little bit more and whilst it didn't have that same revolutionary effect as the Galaxy games I still feel it was a bold step forward for the series.

I think im addicted to this song, its so good

Any one else getting a Crash Bandicoot vibe from this music

Mario galaxy was very great, and 3D world is greater, yet is funny how people comparing 3D world with Galaxy, I wonder what happens when Super Mario Galaxy HD comes, that game should be amazing! if nintendo continues it.

My main problem with Galaxy's handling of powerups is that they almost never end up feeling like power-ups, just puzzle solving tools. Cloud Mario (due to the incredible flexibility in how it can be used) and some instances of the Fire Flower are exceptions, but otherwise they're too tight a fit with their associated puzzles. They're generally highly restricted by timer or location, and they're often virtually useless outside of the puzzles they were created to solve anyway. Bee Mario's flight is moderately useful, but it's slow, and it usually only shows up when there's flower platforms or honeycomb walls to traverse. Spring Mario is a pain to control, but thankfully it only shows up when there's jumps that are (almost) too high to do normally. And as neat as it was to walljump up waterfalls, about all Ice Mario accomplishes is treating water as if it's plain solid ground.

3D World's oldschool style powerups actually power you up; their abilities aren't just keys to specific puzzles (though some such puzzles do exist), but also general survival tools, enhancements to your attacking and movement abilities.

I thought I was the only one who felt like this. Galaxy's power-ups might have been cool if they were spread out more among levels and actually let you keep them after finishing it, but they were mostly situational and just ended up as a temporary change of pace

I still prefer Galaxy over 3d world. 3d World's gameplay has a few small things that I don't like (such as not being to attack enemies without a powerup other then jumping), and Galaxy has better music, better atmosphere, and slightly better gameplay. Don't get me wrong, I still love the shit out of 3d World, but I still love Galaxy more. 

Oh my god though have any of you guys played Galaxy since playing 3D World?  I was visiting family and my sis only has a Wii so to pass the time when I woke up early I popped it in and played a few levels and can't BELIEVE how different the gamefeel is to 3D World.  Mario is so slow and the way he clambers up things makes the experience practically like an action-adventure game compared to 3D World's simplicity.  The levels are so slow-paced and objective-based and... yeah it's weird.  I can't believe that it's aged already in the sense that it feels like an era of Mario that has passed.

Still great fun of course but... yeah it's weird.

• Thumbs Up 6

So I've seen videos of the title screen, and it looks to me like you can play on it like a regular level. Am I right?

Oh my god though have any of you guys played Galaxy since playing 3D World?  I was visiting family and my sis only has a Wii so to pass the time when I woke up early I popped it in and played a few levels and can't BELIEVE how different the gamefeel is to 3D World.  Mario is so slow and the way he clambers up things makes the experience practically like an action-adventure game compared to 3D World's simplicity.  The levels are so slow-paced and objective-based and... yeah it's weird.  I can't believe that it's aged already in the sense that it feels like an era of Mario that has passed.

Still great fun of course but... yeah it's weird.

Sadly, that's how I felt about the game even before playing 3D World, so I can't imagine how much worse it would be to me. Don't get me wrong, I loved Galaxy, but after my first playthrough, I just couldn't ever bring myself to play the whole game again. It got to the point where I only hesitated a little to trade it in to go towards my Wii U.

There are things from the collectathons that I really respect and want to see more of in main series Mario (perhaps even combined with the "2D Mario but in 3D" style?), but overall I prefer the more...I guess "pick up and play" approach 3D World has. I'm sure plenty of people would disagree, but yeah.

So I've seen videos of the title screen, and it looks to me like you can play on it like a regular level. Am I right?

Nah, it's just the characters running around and doing random stuff. Also, the scene at the title screen is different whenever you load it up; it's always the same location as far as I can tell, but sometimes it's raining, or it's a different time of day, and the characters do something different.

There's about 5 different intro demos - they're worth watching, I picked up a few tips from them and a few tell amusing little "stories".  There's also a sixth one that plays only after

Rosalina is unlocked

But I dunno what triggers it to appear as I've only seen it once, it doesn't appear to just enter rotation.  I THINK it might be like the alternate opening demo from 3D Land - you have to quit on a post-credits world for it to play.

Was just looking at the Super Mario 3D World logo and noticed the colours in the Mario part all represent the game's characters apart from the R, but

R does stand for Rosalina.

Was just looking at the Super Mario 3D World logo and noticed the colours in the Mario part all represent the game's characters apart from the R, but

R does stand for Rosalina.

The R should've been a light blue then...but the letter matches with her name so that's close enough.

So I have a question on the subject of pro controller compatibility. Is there a setting so you can play the game solo with only the pro controller, or do they force the gamepad on you?

You can use the Pro controller in solo but there are some levels that you need to have the Wii U Gamepad.