Awoo.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii-U/Switch) - It's the cat's meow!

Nintendoga

So the Piranha Plant was supposed to be an item in the game? I'm wondering why it was canceled, maybe because it fit MK8 better? 

So the Piranha Plant was supposed to be an item in the game? I'm wondering why it was canceled, maybe because it fit MK8 better? 

But .. the Piranha Plant was an item in this game? You pick them up in pots and run around chomping things up with them, just like you do in MK8.

• Thumbs Up 7

But .. the Piranha Plant was an item in this game? You pick them up in pots and run around chomping things up with them, just like you do in MK8.

Woah, really? Its crazy that I completely forgot! What level were they in again?

Derp moment.

Woah, really? Its crazy that I completely forgot! What level were they in again?

Derp moment.

They were in a few levels, Shadow-Play Alley being the most obvious one off the top of my head.

I know for a fact they were in Champion Road too. Oh, how that level haunts my nightmares.

omg I'm officially in love with that Rosalina artwork. It's gorgeous! <3

I didn't even know there was a SM3DW Art Academy contest! Guh, if I had known I would've tried my hand at it though I doubt I'd win.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man those winners are super adorable pieces, the former for funny cuteness and latter for omg anime cuteness lol.

Funny thing about the Potted Piranha Plants, even though I watched all the attract mode demos to learn some tricks, I completely forgot about them and/or didn't notice the ones in Shadow Play Alley were in pots, because I went through the whole game just killing them instead of using them lol.

EDIT: Omg this runner-up though:

xpte.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

• 2 weeks later...

More and more secrets in Super Mario 3D World, discovered by mankalor

The amount of details Nintendo putted in this game is outstanding blink.png

• Thumbs Up 5

All these hidden Luigis make me wish there was an in-game checklist. Like, find a Luigi, tap it on the gamepad, have it recorded as found.

Also that ghost house one, if it really does require all the clocks and waiting until the last 12 seconds, that's fucking devious.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm really happy they did such an elaborate one for the ghost house, because the ghost at the end of the Boo houses in 3D Land were one of my fave easter eggs in Mario to date.  I hoped there'd be something spooky in this one too.

8-Bit Luigi(s) rising from the dead...? What kind of thinking is that? Its like they thought of all the possible logical places to hide 8-Bit Luigi(s) and then just ended up thinking of the most WTF ways to hide him.

LOL @ the Luigi's rising from their graves near the end of the stage with just seconds to spare! XD that's the most random Easter egg I've ever heard of.

8-Bit Luigis rising from the grave?

If that's not some sort of metaphor for the Year of Luigi, I don't know what is.

HHHHHNNNNGGG that's adorable! Japan always does get the good stuff! D: And I bet importing those plushies is gonna be expensive as hell!

• 2 weeks later...

So I just started playing this game the other day and I'm about halfway through World 6 so far. I'm already in love with the game for two main reasons.

One is that the aesthetics are so just so rich this time around that it evokes feelings within me that I've never really experienced in a Mario game. The whole game seems to have this sort of childlike, "playhouse" feel to it, but it manages to do so without seeming childish. It's like a good Disney film-- everything is vast and glowy and beautiful and it makes you just want to explore it all, no matter what age you happen to be. I don't think I've used words like "magic" and "wonder" to describe a Mario game before, but they really seem to fit here.

The other thing I love is just how many different options they gave Mario-- without any power-ups-- in terms of jumping, movement, and tricks. You have your usual Ground Pound, long jump, and backflip jump; then the somersault and charged crouch jump from 3D Land; and now even more new moves like the jump after the Ground Pound and the twirling jump from running in circles. There's just so much you can do and it's such a smart evolution of Mario's abilities from 2D and 3D standpoints.

Since this type of game was executed so well, what I really want to see now is a true 3D Mario game for Wii U in the style of 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy. Free-roam hub worlds, no time limits, and even more room to explore all of Mario's newfound abilities (in HD, no less) for the ultimate experience.

• Thumbs Up 5

• 1 year later...

Thanks to an offsite discussion on 3D Mario games, I decided to play through the game again recently, as I hadn't really played it for the time attack/score runs yet. And while I thought it was a pretty great platformer beforehand, (though my first experience with the game was less than ideal) wow... this game opens up like crazy when going for score; it's almost like playing a whole new game!

Everything has a purpose, the scores for actions are visible and easy to understand, everything is surprisingly tightly designed around it all, and it almost feels like a Star Fox-esque arcade game with how balanced it all is and with everything being worthwhile. Even coins are pretty valuable for once, as 40 of them can equal the score of a star, at least.

And multiplayer mode, while I was personally very "eh" on beforehand, with the new goal of getting the most points in the stage out of everyone, it just becomes a mad dash, not just to get every star and powerup, (one of the reasons I didn't like the mode when playing through for the first time) but to get everything on screen before someone else does. It completely counteracts the bubbling issue I had with the mode, as well, as everyone wants to get everything there is first and foremost, then all move on once the area has been depleted. And the amount of stuff in even one section of the level is so dense, there's never any real fuss over who gets what, which makes it very balanced and crazy fun for once when in a chaotic 4-player game.

Sadly I found that the speedrunning on it's own isn't half as good as 3D Land's speedruns, since the levels are so open and surprisingly non-linear in comparison, but the way time factors into the score works so well, being the only analog source of points, I don't think it's missing out on anything, to be honest, and gives it all a great rush to it. (And it also lets 3D Land have some element of the game it's better and unique for, at the same time)

I think this has fast become my favorite platformer of all time now with all these new factors, tbh. Running around getting to every nook and cranny as fast and efficiently as possible, in such controlled yet open and dense stages... It makes it all, not really a collectathon, or a pure platformer, but somewhere in between with a very arcade-y feel to it all, unlike any other Mario game, and I absolutely love it. The fact that so many of the stages are so varied, creative, and downright fun is all icing on the cake now.

Also did I forgot to mention coins actually have a constant point in this game because of this? Good grief is that a sight for sore eyes with how much of an emphasis this series has on them and their placement/block rewards.

Y'all are missing out if you don't try going for score in these levels at least once.

• Thumbs Up 4

I wish more platformers kept track of your best score in each level. It's not that surprising that, for example, Sonic games usually just have a thing for your best times and/or rank, but keeping track of things like score, or total number of Rings (or whatever the "basic" collectible is) collected in each level, etc. would encourage people to try playing these games in different ways and be a really nice gesture for people who already self-challenge themselves with this sort of thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 years later...

Bowser has become gargantuan and lost all control! Join forces with Bowser Jr. to stop his big bad dad in the Bowser's Fury adventure, included in the Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury game. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury launches on February 12, 2021 only on Nintendo Switch.

• Promotion 1

Wow, Ninty really shadow-dropped that onto us. And I'm here for it! Can't wait to get this game. Didn't play the original release but I have 3D Land on 3DS. And the new content seems amazing.

I mean... I loved 3D world enough to potentially double dip (even with the questionable port price aside after announced this and Bowsers Fury last year)... buuuut the reveal of what this extra content actually is, I mean... I certainly did not expect something this big in scope.

It's kinda like a smash together of an Odyssey Kingdom with 3D worlds mechanics. I'm guessing the engine got an overhaul/upgrade for this specific world though... I mean, that 1 semi-open savannah world in SM3DW left a lot to be desired since it couldn't handle long draw distances and had severe pop-in. 

This, plus some of the other upgrades the game seems to be getting (as in, the increased speed and performance in-game on switch) are enough of an argument for me to re-purchase. I find it hard to say that considering how against I still am of the handling and pricing of the 3D All Stars re-releases.

19 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Some elaboration on what this mode will entail. 

Some additional stuff includes online multiplayer now, and apparently the run speed of the characters have been increased too:

To be honest the faster run speed (which will change up the gameplay... just enough for a repeat run), photo-mode (for stamps! yay!), and an online co-op still would have been enough of a decent sell to me if this was priced a bit lower for a retread. Would be even better if a 6th hidden character could be unlocked too (but not on a completionism level please Nintendo)

But again, what's more interesting now is this Bowsers Fury addition, or a "second adventure" as the narrator put it (or "two adventures in one!" according to the press release). Whilst I doubt Bowsers Fury is going to be anywhere near as big as the base game or a standard Mario Adventure - this is certainly more than I expected for Nintendo to dosh out. At least it justifies shoving a full price label on a Wii U port I suppose.

But the "Kingdom of Cats" eh? ..."Open world" eh? (Which 3D world isn't?) - I'm guessing this was a leftover Odyssey Kingdom idea (or perhaps something that started life as DLC for that title). This is such an oddity (a good oddity, mind) of a product to slam dunk into 3D World's package for me not to wonder...

Man, the Fury Bowser fanart is on point

1589120_bridgeoffaust_infernal.png?f1610

(Created by BridgeofFaust)

1589818_dreaminerryday_fury-bowser.png?f

(Created by DreaminErryDay)

Erpt-INUwAAVkMj?format=jpg&name=small

(Created by Thelombax51/RatchetMario)

• Promotion 1

4 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Man, the Fury Bowser fanart is on point...

Erpt-INUwAAVkMj?format=jpg&name=small

(Created by Thelombax51/RatchetMario)

Eggman's Fury. Brilliant. XD 

Oh god, this means we're in for a resurgence / Fury of Bowsette's again soon aren't we...