Awoo.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii-U/Switch) - It's the cat's meow!

Nintendoga

I'll get to play a bit of it tomorrow, so I'm sure to have something to say about the cat suit. Also, I wonder if they'll have you do multiplayer at the Nintendo Experience. If so, I better get to be Luigi, I love that flutter jump.

please god

please let Wart be in this

So, on the Best Buy site it says Nintendo employees will be at the Nintendo Experience locations. I wonder if they'll be wearing those goofy cat ears and paws like at E3. That would be glorious.

So, on the Best Buy site it says Nintendo employees will be at the Nintendo Experience locations. I wonder if they'll be wearing those goofy cat ears and paws like at E3. That would be glorious.

Do you have links to pictures? I've only found one so far and my partner would love this.

If the composers from SMG are back then the music is going to be fantastic, it's bound to be!

The running and idle animations for the cat suit are hilarious.

I know right? X3 The "Meow meow!" is really funny too when they get the cat suit.

So what did Bowser do this time if not kidnap Peach? Just be a dick?

He kidnapped Yellow Toad.  That's why Peach had to be playable.

Man, I'm really hyped for this one!

I loved 3D Land, and seeing playable Peach (along with a pretty original new powerup) makes this a day-one buy. I'm hoping playable Peach is well-received enough to be become a staple of the NSMB/3D Land games, so at the very least some of the future core platformer games do something with her other than make her a kidnapping victim.

As much as I love 64/Sunshine/Galaxy, I enjoyed 3D Land for its own unique style, and am definitely happy to see another game of its type. I'm sure we haven't seen the last star-collecting open-ended adventure, and I don't feel the future of those types of games are threatened by this one.

Hey. If we get a 3D platformer of both types, so much the better, right?

Peach aside, the best thing about this game is that the new power up is more than just a slight extension of your jump, whe also adding se fairly interesting mobility. Finally there's a power up that I want to use.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I am still impressed at Nintendo's ability to come up with a great new powerup in every new game.  Sometimes multiple.

They've ranged greatly in terms of complexity (Cat Mario vs say, Gold Fire Mario), but they are always fun and bring some new way to play to the table.  Even Tanooki's return in 3D Land was the first 3D game with a descending hover.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to disagree with you on that, Jez. The suits they've introduced or brought back in recent games have just been rubbish. How many different ways can you double jump and hover?

Mario 64 mini-game music.

Mario 3 death jingle.

I nostalgia'd.

I have to disagree with you on that, Jez. The suits they've introduced or brought back in recent games have just been rubbish. How many different ways can you double jump and hover?

Well I'm alright with it... they changed it up ever so slightly with each one to give it a different feel. Wii had the propeller suit which shoots you straight up, 3DS had the raccoon suit return which had more dynamic flight, and Wii U had the squirrel suit which lets you glide. Really it's only the Tanuki suit that just lets you hover down and nothing else. 

If they were all in the same game, THAT would be redundant. 

Well, working backwards, here's why I had no problem with them:

NSMBU: Squirrel Suit is obviously very unique with its gliding mechanics and wall grab.

NSMB2: Gold Fire Flower did actually provide some pretty unique motivation to perform classic tasks like enemy chaining, and of course destroying blocks en masse.  Without meaning to show off my own video for the sake of it, gameplay like this would not happen without the Gold Fire Flower:

3D Land: A Hover ability was new to 3D Mario.  It allowed you to make your own shortcuts all over the place due to the open level design only 3D space provides as oppose to 2D space.  Made for some really fun speedrunning and finding massive shortcuts that you can only JUST make but are all the more satisfying for it (for example, on the first Bowser boss you can jump right over to his switch in one go if you're pixel-perfect about it.  Boomerang Mario was so surprisingly underused that I almost forgot it was even in the game and just edited my post here to add it.  Well, was fun enough of course, though I felt there weren't enough places the game rewards you for keeping a Boomerang attack going by jumping over it when it comes back.

NSMBWii: Ice Flower made for great new gameplay for taking care of enemies, Penguin suit gave unique movement style for the ground, and Propellor Suit... well that was nothing that special but decent enough.

Edited by JezMM

Mario 3 death jingle.

I nostalgia'd.

It is rather nostalgic, but I hope they have some great original music as well. I don't want this soundtrack to be too unoriginal. 

Only two Powers let you Double jump(NSMB games) and only two powers let you hover(both from SMB 3).

I hope that there are plenty of other new Power-Ups, too.

I was annoyed that NSMBU only had the Squirrel Suit. :s  The Boomerang Suit in 3D Land was inspired, though.

Rant aside, why is it a bell that transforms Mario into Cat Mario? Is there some Japanese mythology I'm missing out on?

I'm glad someone finally asked. The bell is a reference to the "Maneki-nek" or "Lucky cat". It's usually used for things like lotteries or as a piggy bank but it is mythology.

Manekineko1003.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mario 3 death jingle.

I nostalgia'd.

Well I'm alright with it... they changed it up ever so slightly with each one to give it a different feel. Wii had the propeller suit which shoots you straight up, 3DS had the raccoon suit return which had more dynamic flight, and Wii U had the squirrel suit which lets you glide. Really it's only the Tanuki suit that just lets you hover down and nothing else. 

If they were all in the same game, THAT would be redundant.

Hold up, is that Subcon next to the dragon?

Holy shit.

Hold up, is that Subcon next to the dragon?

Holy shit.

Oh so that's what this is

ss4.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I just realised something

Peach is playable, so what's the plot of the game going to be? 

I just realised something

Peach is playable, so what's the plot of the game going to be? 

What was the story of Mario Bros 2?

There you go.

I noticed 3D World seems to have ditched the Star system that all 3D Mario games have had 64, that's interesting.

Edited by Soniman