Awoo.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii-U/Switch) - It's the cat's meow!

Nintendoga

I played it too :V

Me too, why does Red Cap get all the credit? ;(

Seriously though, he's right about the level design. The focus is to keep on the main path, yet you get rewarded for thinking "what if I do this rather than that?" or "what if I go here rather than there?". I can't wait to see what else this game has to offer, in that regard.

Edited by Haden
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh y'all, let me rephrase. I admit I forgot about how linear Galaxy 1 and 2 was (still think 1 is not as linear as people think).

I'm talking about the freedom to explore the levels at your own leisure without the stress of a time limit, as well as having many missions in the same world. I like going back to certain levels several times to see how things change or how completing a certain "mission" in a different way can land me a secret star. 3D Land/World has secrets and exploration (I never claimed that they didn't), but it's structured differently from the way past 3D Marios have been. Hub worlds are an obvious difference, but the overall pacing and structure are very different. 3D World is very much structured after a traditional 2D Mario, and that's fine, I've always liked that. But I also like how the other 3D Mario games were structured.

Again, I'm very excited for this game! I'm just saying that it isn't structured the same as the other 3D Mario games, and I want to see a slower-paced adventure alongside what we're getting with 3D World. Is that really a controversial opinion?

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 5

Ahh okay I can agree with that.  Time Limits make a very big difference to gameplay.  I actually don't think they're necessary at all.  If the time limit is meant to be an obstacle then have one.  But if only the worst and pedantic players are ever gonna find it a threat, why bother.

Or at the very least, make beating the game remove them from non "grab clocks to not die" courses, giving you freedom to explore and find what you missed.

Edited by JezMM

I'm just saying that it isn't structured the same as the other 3D Mario games, and I want to see a slower-paced adventure alongside what we're getting with 3D World. Is that really a controversial opinion?

It's not a bad opinion, I'd like another free-roam Mario game too! However, my post wasn't referring to you, it was a general post.

Oh, and just so you guys know, the time limits aren't really that much of a hinderence. I spent a long time in 6-3 trying to find stuff (I even wasted 30 seconds trying to scale a wall without the Cat Suit), and I still had around 90+ seconds left when I beat it. Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

Yes, because the Galaxy games weren't extremely linear. Nope, not at all.

Basically, 3D World simply lacks hub worlds and swaps out stars for end of level goals. So... What's the big difference between it and the Galaxy games, exactly?

No planetoid level design, no epic sense of scale and atmosphere?

I don't see why every Mario game has to have that. And Galaxy's sense of scale is only cosmetic given that it's level design doesn't give the sense of a large expansive world.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see why every Mario game has to have that. And Galaxy's sense of scale is only cosmetic given that it's level design doesn't give the sense of a large expansive world.

I never said every Mario games had to have that.

I was just pointing out the difference between it and the Galaxy games. 

• 1 month later...

3D World's release has been bumped up from December to November 22nd in NA:

1238321_504685126282612_964882285_n_zpsd

Pretty interesting how 3D World and Tropical Freeze swapped dates.

Edited by CC14 Blast Mode

The highlight of this game is "What's Bowsers Mission?"  Is he trying to rule the world without peach by her side. Just trying to get rid of mario then get peach.  She finally had the courage to fight off Bowser from kidnapping her. 

Edited by jordine

• 2 weeks later...

iXo3zPWyEQmkK.jpg

It looks nice, but I don't really like everyone being on it twice. Removing Cat Mario and normal Peach, Luigi and Toad would've really helped.

Not nearly as good as Galaxy 2's, but that was one of my favorite boxarts.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 3

Agreed with the double characters thing.  I think it would have been better if they had Mario and Peach regular at the top and Cat Luigi and Cat Toad underneath there.

I really do like how Nintendo sometimes has their characters/objects laid on top the bit with the console's logo on it.  It's cute and adds a bit more depth to the artwork (it worked really well in 3D Land's case being a 3DS game and all).

Doubling up on the characters here is pretty stupid though.  Too much clutter in what is otherwise a pretty good box.

Say, when is it coming out again? somewhat tempted, one of the few games I was considering getting, specialy if it comes out in october or early nov, since I have both sonic lost world and lego marvel superheroes on my birthday list, so have to wait a month on those(unless I swap this and lost world for my birthday list

Wow! A Mario boxart with the characters floating in front of a white background? Never seen that before!

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't get why they're advertising the Cat Suit so heavily. The Tanooki Tail fair enough because that was a fan favourite item from the distant past they'd brought back, the Cat Suit is cool and all but I can't see it being the deciding factor on anybody's purchase of this game.

Also cluttered box art is cluttered.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't get why they're advertising the Cat Suit so heavily. The Tanooki Tail fair enough because that was a fan favourite item from the distant past they'd brought back, the Cat Suit is cool and all but I can't see it being the deciding factor on anybody's purchase of this game.

Also cluttered box art is cluttered.

The major selling point, according to Nintendo, of any Mario game nowadays is the shiny new powerup , which is normally a bit of a game breaker too.

• Thumbs Up 1

The major selling point, according to Nintendo, of any Mario game nowadays is the shiny new powerup , which is normally a bit of a game breaker too.

That's how it's always been. SMB3's boxart has Raccoon Mario on it, SMW's has Cape Mario riding Yoshi, SML2's has Rabbit Mario, NSMBWii's has a Toad in the Propeller Suit, etc.

They want to make extra extra sure people know it's a Mario game.

LOOK IT'S MARIO

LOOK THE WORD MARIO

LOOK MARIO AGAIN

AND EVEN GREEN MARIO

it's a surefire sell!

As a complete package it's pretty unexciting, but I do really like the renders of the characters above the title. Maybe it's just me, but they seem much more... alive than usual for Mario-series character renders. It reminds me a little of how Sonic looks on Lost World's box, actually.

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's how it's always been. SMB3's boxart has Raccoon Mario on it, SMW's has Cape Mario riding Yoshi, SML2's has Rabbit Mario, NSMBWii's has a Toad in the Propeller Suit, etc.

New Super Mario Bros 2 breaks the molded by not having Mario or Luigi with powerups but lots of coins and Super Mario 3D Land has Mario without a powerup ( I'm not counting his silhouette)

5006187.jpg

Box art again... Higher quality...

Meow.

Edited by YoshiUnity
  • Thumbs Up 8

I like the character models, and the way everything's rendered- it certainly stands out from other Mario games in that regard. But I agree with everyone else; the double-character thing looks weird, and it lacks color. This ain't no Galaxy 2 cover, to be sure. 

I think the box art's alright, though it doesn't even begin to compare to the superb Galaxy 1/2 box arts. It's a little jarring how everyone appears on it twice, and I'd prefer it not to look like a transparent PNG image slapped on a generic Wii U box template, but at least the character models themselves look decent.

Also, Princess Peach on the cover of a Mario platformer! That's a sight we haven't seen for a long time.

• Thumbs Up 1