Awoo.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii-U/Switch) - It's the cat's meow!

Nintendoga

I get those but in terms of challenge I never understood that.

The difficulty of the NSMB games is generally alright - starts off easy, by the time you get to World 8 it's ramping up - but compared to a lot of other modern platformers they really are quite easy. The first NSMB in particular was a breeze, and you could even skip over two whole worlds if you didn't go out of your way to reach them (I think NSMB2 was similar in that regard too, wasn't it?).

It's a tough one, really. The hardcore old-school Mario fans are the kind of gamers who relish the challenge and intensity of games like Rayman Origins/Legends, whereas the NSMB games caters a lot to the younger casual crowd who have never played a platformer before. As I say, they definitely got the balance better in later games - and NSLU is as close to a challenging game as we're likely going to see a modern Mario title - but on the whole, it still pales in comparison to other franchises on the market.

It helped that it was only the second NSMB game, so people didn't mind them re-using tiles and backgrounds from the original.

I just want to zoom in on this part and say that NSMBWii didn't re-use any assets from NSMB1.

They based the assets in NSMBWii on the assets from NSMB1.

Saying they re-used them implies that they literally took the sprites from NSMB1, prettied them up only a bit, and put them into NSMBWii, and that there was basically zero effort on the developers' part in regards to aesthetics. Which is far from the truth.

Sorry if this sounds pretentious or something, but it just irks me when people over simplify things like that.

Yeah, no NSMB game has ever reused assets directly (apart from the friggin' music).

Which does sort of make it all the more boggling that they've used the same 8 tropes for the worlds every single time, you'd think they'd let the design team be more creative if they're building new textures and models every time, but ah well.

Edited by JezMM

Yeah, no NSMB game has ever reused assets directly (apart from the friggin' music).

Which does sort of make it all the more boggling that they've used the same 8 tropes for the worlds every single time, you'd think they'd let the design team be more creative if they're building new textures and models every time, but ah well.

What's that? You want imagination in your Mario game? Poppycock!

Next you'll be telling me you want a deeper story that doesn't involve Bowser kidnapping Peach!

Saying they re-used them implies that they literally took the sprites from NSMB1, prettied them up only a bit, and put them into NSMBWii, and that there was basically zero effort on the developers' part in regards to aesthetics. Which is far from the truth.

I know that they didn't literally re-use NSMB's assets. I didn't mean it like that, haha.

Still, most people would say that it was a lazy thing to do. After all, they could've made completely new assets and then they wouldn't have this problem. Not saying that them doing that is a bad thing to me personally because I really like NSMBWii. Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

They probably want to make sure the likes of W101 and Sonic get the attention they need.

Too bad TW101 is getting zero attention so far...an epic game like this should not suffer such terrible sales. HOPEFULLY sales will increase since it's now out in the US but, GTA V is out tomorrow officially, so I think it's safe to say that Nintendo of America has sent the game to its death.

I know that it's a Wii U exclusive and GTA V is not coming to the Wii U so Wii U only owners will buy this game instead of GTA V, but Wii U owners will most probably already have a 360 or PS3. So it comes down to the choice of "hmm, GTA V or TW101?". The fact that some people would be put off it because of its gameplay doesn't help either.

It's a new IP and a niché game.  It'll be a stroke of luck if the average gamer picks it up off the shelf without knowing what it is in advance, let alone buy it.  I'm surprised people are surprised it isn't selling well.

A lot of people say the coin gimmick in NSMB2 was meaningless which makes me think a lot of people did not get into Coin Rush mode as much as I did.  =U

Every time I want to play NSMB2 in a short burst I go with Coin Rush mode. Fun fact though, I mostly spend my time playing the DLC packs than the regular stages. Still love that game though.

I'm liking the box art more each time I see it.  Actually the only flaw I have left to say is that while I don't mind the double up, I just wish the characters didn't have the exact same expressions in both renders.  It's a bit overwhelmingly WAHOOOOO

I just wish it had some kind of background beyond the white stuff... Worked for 3D Land cause that box was a less is more kind of deal. Not so much with this one where we have a fuckton of shit.

Oh and I'd get rid of the cat suits, because they suck but whatever.

Does anybody else find it unusual that Bowser isn't on the box? Is there really something more going on to this game's story than what we know?

And before someone starts screaming "He wasn't on 3D Land boxcover either you buttsniffer!" I have to point you to the montage image that was released around the same time:

Wallpaper_01_1920x1200_1b-800x500.jpg

Bowser usually isn't on the box art. We've already seen the Bowser flags and the iris out thing shaped like his face when you die, so it's really unlikely that there's a different villain.