Awoo.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii-U/Switch) - It's the cat's meow!

Nintendoga

I found the last section of Crown-Crown to be the easiest, actually. At least the end part of it. Those shockwaves aren't really that hard to jump between if you stick to the corner key coins first.

(Yes, I finally beat it. With Mario. Haven't done it with anyone else)

....Yes? It's a HD title that isn't limited by it's hardware, or in this case controller practicality, 3D Land gave me hand cramps and it was awkward to use the run button and jump in a straight line with the bleh analogue on the 3DS.

At least for me, I never had this problem with 3D World at all, it's very good control wise.

So are the controls smoother and more responsive than 3D Land?

I never had a problem with responsiveness in 3D Land.  Agreed with Soniko, this game pretty much handles the same but the comfortableness of the controller makes it dangerously easy to play for hours and hours without ever getting tired hands.

Each level is literally designed to keep you moving forward without missing anything, with a few exceptions most of the levels are just straight forward get from A to B, there are a handful of levels that make you panic because of how broad and large they are, but all their secrets are roughly pretty close to one another so you won't be overwhelmed by some of the bigger stages.

Time is never really an issue unless you're playing a low timer zone where you need to get timer clocks to boost your time by 10 seconds, it's no where near as bad as 3D Land's special worlds sort of "kill enemies for time every 5 steps" but some levels do require you to do it, otherwise you roughly range from 300 - 450 seconds, that counts down slowly, and as always when it gets to 100 the game will remind you with a clack-son alert and speed up the music.

There are big green stop watches in most levels that boosts your time by an additional 100 seconds though, but you have more than enough time to tackle a zone, and explore at the same time. 

Went into GAME today and they've jacked the price up to £49.99. Ridiculous. 

http://youtu.be/a7IwaGvLxXg

A nice little comparason video from the 4 characters doing the first level.

Not mine.

I'm assuming there's a timer in levels too. How long do you usually get in a level? I like exploring.

To expand on what Soniko already said, the levels with tight time limits make that their gimmick - they're very compact (you can usually see the whole course from the off), so while you may not have time to explore everything the first time while you get to grips with the layout, you can still see everything within the time limit on a second play once you have your bearings.

The super short 100 second levels are some of my favourites actually, the back alley one with Cherries and little puzzles to get the Green Star (but the Goal Pole right there across from you) was really... I dunno, cute, lol.

Also you may want to note that 100 ingame seconds is not equal to 100 real time seconds.  100 ingame seconds is more around 60 ingame seconds.

Watching that video, I do think Toad and the secret character are probably going to be the biggest contenders for speedrunning - depending on the level.  Toad is certainly better overall, but I've managed to do some pretty damn clever jumping tricks with the secret character's capabilities and beaten a Toad best time or two of mine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Watching that video, I do think Toad and Rosalina are probably going to be the biggest contenders for speedrunning - depending on the level.  Toad is certainly better overall, but I've managed to do some pretty damn clever jumping tricks with Rosalina's double jump capabilities and beaten a Toad best time or two of mine.

Peach has a good speed running level. In 4-4 Big bounce Byway, at the end of the level you have to get on the big bouncing platform but you can get peach to skip the whole part by jumping on the bugs and using her hover. Not sure if Tanooki Toad is able to do this but Tanooki peach would help but its possible to skip the whole section with just peach.

In 4-3 Beep Block Skyway is good for Rosalina while continuously using the long jump you can use her double jump afterwards which makes it easier to take some good shortcuts that Toad couldn't do

For quick reference, these are apparently the differences in character stats:

1-3 points.

Mario

Jump: 2/3

Speed: 2/3

Advantage: Controls the easiest

Disadvantage: Nothing really. Just the middleman.

Luigi:

Jump:3/3

Speed: 2/3

Advantage: Jumps higher and falls slower

Disadvantage: Takes longer to get to sprinting speed (supposedly has worse traction too)

Peach:

Jump: 2/3

Speed: 1/3

Advantage: Can extend jump with float, reaches sprint faster than Mario

Disadvantage: Even when sprinting she's incredibly slow

Toad

Jump: 1/3

Speed:3/3

Advantage: Fastest over all speed in the game

Disadvantage: Lowest jump and falls faster

Rosalina:

Jump: 3/3

Speed: 1/3

Advantage: Spin jump for double jump and attack, high jump

Disadvantage: Slowest character in the game, no spin jump if you have a power up

When did

Rosalina

stop being a spoiler? The game's only been out about a week in Europe. Shouldn't it have been tagged until at least just after Christmas, since a lot of people like myself probably won't be getting the game until then. Good job I'd already decided to spoil it for myself when she was revealed. 

EDIT: Spoiler tagged.

When did Rosalina stop being a spoiler?

Probably the day that Nintendo revealed Rosalina in a Nintendo Direct. Oh, can't forget the fact that she was revealed many weeks before in the sticker slot screen.

Probably the day that Nintendo revealed Rosalina in a Nintendo Direct. Oh, can't forget the fact that she was revealed many weeks before in the sticker slot screen.

There was even a spoiler warning in the direct. /:

Finally finished Champion's Road. Goddamn that stage. Never again. Never. Can't say I prefer this "pick up and play 2D in 3D" style Mario over the likes of Galaxy, but it's full of imagination and charm to boot. Also, the control feels more... stiff I guess? Galaxy felt very acrobatic whilst 3D World felt more restraint. I don't like that they basically neutered the usefulness of the backflip. Very good game overall, but I'm hoping to see a return to the old formula next time.

I'm assuming there's a timer in levels too. How long do you usually get in a level? I like exploring.

There's timers, but I never really found them all intrusive - though sometimes I would suddenly be on my last 100 because I was searching for Green Stars or the Stamp, and I'd have to panic to the end. :P

When she was revealed, the Direct had a spoiler and the staff here said everyone had to use a spoiler tag. Haven't been here since then and now everyone's not using spoiler tags for her.

Finally finished Champion's Road. Goddamn that stage. Never again. Never. Can't say I prefer this "pick up and play 2D in 3D" style Mario over the likes of Galaxy, but it's full of imagination and charm to boot. Also, the control feels more... stiff I guess? Galaxy felt very acrobatic whilst 3D World felt more restraint. I don't like that they basically neutered the usefulness of the backflip. Very good game overall, but I'm hoping to see a return to the old formula next time.

I have to disagree about it feeling stiff. If anything I felt more restrained in Galaxy (at least in comparison to what came before and 3D World), but that might just be me.

That being said something more like 64/Sunshine/Galaxy would be really cool for the next 3D Mario. Just make playable Peach as guaranteed as Luigi is these days, please.

Yeah I removed em too.  I swear a few pages back it was being talked about openly with no complaints.  Was also working off the basis that if someone is avoiding spoilers strictly enough to have NOT already have it spoiled (I was being extremely strict and had it spoiled 5 times over), they wouldn't be so stupid as to read a forum topic about the game.  I avoided this topic ever since the second trailer.

Tbh Rosalina isn't much of a spoiler. She barely adds anything to the game, although a nice addition.

Now those extra worlds on the other hand...

Yeah I removed em too.  I swear a few pages back it was being talked about openly with no complaints.  Was also working off the basis that if someone is avoiding spoilers strictly enough to have NOT already have it spoiled (I was being extremely strict and had it spoiled 5 times over), they wouldn't be so stupid as to read a forum topic about the game.  I avoided this topic ever since the second trailer.

Because moaning me hadn't been in the topic for a while tongue.png I'd have thought some others might have been bothered by it, but I guess most people would have got the game day 1 and completed it in no time. I'd have picked it up day 1 if I had had the money spare, but alas Christmas is eating up my money. I just popped in the topic to read people's impressions on the game because my wife's ordered it me for Christmas.

Unlockable/Post-Credits Spoilers

She is kind of a big deal though, I mean getting Peach and Toad in 3D Mario was a big deal.  Getting a character who has -never- been playable before as an unlockable was amazing.  I know I wish I hadn't already known Rosalina was in the game.  Seeing the Observatory at the end of the credits would have blown my fucking mind with amazement at what it could mean.

Aside from a plethora of Galaxy throwbacks, the post-credits content doesn't really throw anything spoiler-worthy at you.

As said though, I hadn't been tagging things since I don't see why someone who is afraid of spoilers would be in this topic, especially after the game has been out for weeks.