Awoo.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii-U/Switch) - It's the cat's meow!

Nintendoga

This game is so much fun. I didn't even like 3D Land that much, but wow. It's like they took all the best things from other Mario games, and put them all together.

I feel bad for even doubting them back at E3. This game is the very definition of "You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover".

• Thumbs Up 3

There was even a spoiler warning in the direct. /:

I didn't watch the direct, just the Direct clips on Youtube. Didn't have it.

My apologies.

Also, the control feels more... stiff I guess? Galaxy felt very acrobatic whilst 3D World felt more restraint. I don't like that they basically neutered the usefulness of the backflip.

I think the 8 way directional movement has something to do with that...it doesn't really hurt the game much though since it works fairly well for the level design. The back-flip neutered? I guess because you have to charge it(Like in Mario Bros. 2 USA/3DLand)...? Its shouldn't really be a big deal though...since in this game you have the spin jump which is higher than the back-flip...(maybe the G.P. jump too, I don't know)I don't really think the move is that useful in this game.

So, I made it to Champion Road.

I got my ass handed to me.

I was so close on my first attempt, too. So damn close. I was ready to become a legend among Mario players, someone who could conquer the hardest level in the game on their first try... but nope, I made it to the final bit with all the dash pads, slightly mistimed a jump, and it's all gone downhill from there. This level is downright evil, just when you think it's over, it throws another spanner in the works to ruin your day and complete disregard all the effort you've put in up to that point.

And yet, it's all so very do-able. It's bloody hard, but knowing that you might get it right next time is what keeps you coming back time and time again.

This car better be in Mario Kart 8.

505px-Bowser_Mobile_Artwork_-_Super_Mari

When I grow up, I plan on purchasing a sports-car, painting it purple, and throwing explosive soccer balls at other drivers while jamming out to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ODiUebn9Q_Y

• Thumbs Up 4

Today I was able to completely cheese a mystery house with Peach's floating ability. I love it.

I think the 8 way directional movement has something to do with that...it doesn't really hurt the game much though since it works fairly well for the level design. The back-flip neutered? I guess because you have to charge it(Like in Mario Bros. 2 USA/3DLand)...? Its shouldn't really be a big deal though...since in this game you have the spin jump which is higher than the back-flip...(maybe the G.P. jump too, I don't know)I don't really think the move is that useful in this game.

The charging is very annoying and the reason I find it a big deal is because I used it so much in the Galaxy games, it and the long jump basically replaced most of my movement when I played as Luigi. :P Like you say, the game hasn't been designed around the backflip so it's just kinda there... honestly there wasn't much point to it. I don't think I ever used the spin-jump, it was annoyingly risky to charge up and didn't really grant much positives to me, especially in tight platforming situations.

Did any of you guys have a "go-to" character? Or a favourite? Mine was definitely Luigi. 

So like, did they remove the triple jump in the game? I wasn't able to pull it off.

Yep, it's been gone since 3D Land.

Also, just to state my thoughts about it being removed, I think it benefits both 3D Land and 3D World because of the way they're designed; you do a lot of jumping, sometimes in a very consecutive manner, so having the triple jump go off every few moments in the more intense platforming sections would have been kinda annoying.

Did any of you guys have a "go-to" character? Or a favourite? Mine was definitely Luigi. 

It goes back and forth between Luigi and the spoiler character, for me.

Definitely Peach and the spoiler. I'll play as anyone except Mario though. He's boring.

• Thumbs Up 1

For the first half of the game I mostly just played as Peach, and when replaying levels I'd pick Toad just to speedrun. Post-final boss I pretty much just play as all of them, though Luigi is the one I pick least, for whatever reason.

At the moment I'm completing each level as all five characters. It's strange to go back to earlier levels, especially after my...attempts...at Champion's Road. Maybe I'll wait until I've completed all the other levels as everyone before trying that again.

My main is Toad. Gotta go fast and all that. Like BB said though, anyone other than Mario is fine with me.

I had a real blast playing through Worlds 1 and 2 with a mate yesterday. The guy's a big fan of the old Super Mario World, so he was loving it.

Hallelujah! I did it! I beat Champion Road! It only took me countless attempts and loads of frustration, but I finally did it! With Mario no less, so that now means I've beaten every stage as him and can move on to exploring the other characters a bit more.

The thought of having to do Champion Road four more times with the other characters makes me cry. Though I suppose it should be easier with them, seeing as they all have more of a special ability whereas Mario is just the basic all-rounder. Oh well, I shall celebrate my triumph for a bit first before putting myself through that hell again!

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I wouldn't mind playing all levels as each characters, the levels are that FUN! There is a trick to do it to, just make 3 characters join with you at the flag pole and throw them at the pole, unless you want to get the stamps quick.

Yeah I've been beating courses as all characters with no "cheating" involved at all coz it's just so fun to play.  At the same time I've been playing through again with Mollfie in multiplayer.  By the time I'm done I'll have played this game like 6 times technically and I'm still loving it lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't quite get what that video is supposed to show. Galaxy and 3DW are very different kinds of Mario games. Autosaver is right in saying it does more to show how impressive SMG was than how how far we've come since then.

I think what it's showing is similar mechanics and instances from the two games to highlight how differently said mechanics and instances were handled back then as opposed to these days.

...Or, considering that even I, the one who typed it, don't quite understand the above explanation, I'm just going to take it at face value as showing how things were then and now.

So yeah.

I still think Galaxy is marginally better for me, it gave me an incredible gaming experience that no doubt deserves to be the crowning jewel of what I've played so far, 3DW is far more polished, but what do you expect? It's a new HD Mario, looking at this comparison just makes me want a HD Galaxy-esque game that pushes the Wii U hardware to the absolute limit, I really miss the cool glowy, other worldly art style of Mario Galaxy too, it still looks impressive to this day!

The only thing I can recall 3DW beating Galaxy for me was the Bowser fights and Bowser's music for his battles/worlds.

Wow nice.  I've noticed you can get some crazy distance with Peach's float and Rosalina's spin when they're followed from a fast movement like the cat dive.  Guess it's not gonna be as clear cut which character is the best for speedrunning whatsoever.

Wow nice.  I've noticed you can get some crazy distance with Peach's float and Rosalina's spin when they're followed from a fast movement like the cat dive.

You ain't kidding:

• Thumbs Up 5