Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Its the item button. Just hold the item button. Only for red/green shells and banana.

When playing with the control stick, you just hold the item button.  When playing with motion controls, you can hold EITHER up or down on the d-pad.  There's also a split-second window to roll your thumb onto the opposite direction if you are holding a shell using down to protect yourself then decide to shoot it forwards instead of backwards.

Aha! That explains it! Thanks guys!

Does anyone actually use the quick u-turn technique in Battle mode? It's so good that I have been destroying the competition for most of the day yesterday as Metal Mario on an ATV. It makes moving around, chasing, getting item boxes you missed, and camping easier. 

Does anyone actually use the quick u-turn technique in Battle mode? It's so good that I have been destroying the competition for most of the day yesterday as Metal Mario on an ATV. It makes moving around, chasing, getting item boxes you missed, and camping easier. 

It's near essential to master due to the awful decision to use racetracks for battling.

It's near essential to master due to the awful decision to use racetracks for battling.

I know that, but I haven't seen a single person online use that turning method. Isn't that tech mentioned in the manual for the game?

I've probably gotten reported for hacking by multiple angry players.

Hmm, it is only mentioned in the manual.  There's no way to report players though is there?  Remember that Mario Kart's online is all partially CPU controlled - you only ever see an approximation of the other players in order to ease the amount of data being sent, working off predicting the player's path and filling in the gaps - which is why you often see players getting stuck on the grass or falling off edges then suddenly catching up with you again, when the player is actually just successfully performing a super tight turn on their screen.

It's possible that you're not seeing the super tight u-turns much because they're not something the game was programmed to "predict" when displaying player positions.

You lucky bugger Jez! I wish the GAME shops in my area would do cool stuff like that and give us awesome goodies. ;-;

• Thumbs Up 1

Just participated in a Mario Kart 8 tournament. Top 2 racers used low speed characters, but dominated each race because they fire hopped each turn.

Lol, never tell me fire hopping is inoffensive.

• Thumbs Up 1

I placed 3rd in today's GameXplain Tournament.

Ludwig is my lucky rabbit, I always seem to do so well with Ludwig than Mario or any of the other Medium weights despite them having the same stats.

Must be that fabulous hair.

• Thumbs Up 1

The characters I work best with, in this, my first Mario Kart game, are Wendy, Ludwig, Daisy, Rosalina, Mario, Bowser, Luigi, Waluigi, Baby Daisy, Baby Rosalina, and Mii of course, so far!

Now pray tell, what is this "fire-hopping" that I've heard of?

It would be something that's really only useful in Time Trials, unless you can pull it off effectively to do it consistently in races.

Remembering details: Say...Pull of a drift boost and then hop, which makes the boost last slightly longer for some reason.

It's a physics exploit where you can extend the duration of a mini-turbo by hopping, generally only useful in time trials. You have to hop back and forth to keep steady, so even the slightest change can ruin the entire point.

SSMB Daily Tourney Winners for Week 6:

Fri 4th July
Felix / Haden / Will

Sat 5th July
Haden

Sun 6th July

Random Rules Sunday: Mirror / No Teams / Mushrooms Only / Bikes Only
JezMM

Mon 7th July
Haden

Tue 8th July
Strickerx5

Wed 9th July
Felix

Thu 10th July
CJ

Tonight's random rules are pretty simple, our first non-mirror Sunday in fact, but it will be a Team game again.  All I can recommend is uhh... flip a coin when choosing your team and if we're lucky we'll end up with more even ones lol.

• Thumbs Up 3

Does anyone want to perhaps have a normal multiplayer match at some point this week, just for fun? I haven't really had many lobby games yet, it would be nice to mess around in battle mode with you guys because god knows it doesn't really serve well as an actual battle mode.

• Thumbs Up 2

Welp, I'm finally free of the MK8 shackles and it's unfair select-ism bullshit. I kind of needed to drop it because it was legit starting to ruin my fun with the game and start to get angry with people here, so yeah that's no good. 

Would any Australians be interested in a tournament if I were to make one for SSMB? Of course, anyone would be able to play but it's just hard for Aussies to get on at the time of the usual SSMB tournament. 

Welp, I'm finally free of the MK8 shackles and it's unfair select-ism bullshit. I kind of needed to drop it because it was legit starting to ruin my fun with the game and start to get angry with people here, so yeah that's no good. 

Game is starting to piss me off too, mainly with the Item Balance and the stupid Item Lag.

I haven't been playing it as much as I used to, only on certain occasions now......that and I just downloaded Paper Mario on Virtual Console, so I'm preoccupied with that, I needed to play a good Paper Mario Game after that god-damn Sticker Star.

And where is this Mecedes free DLC at?, still waiting man.

• 8 months later...

Bumping topic since someone asked about if it got lost with the server wipe.

A month and a bit till DLC pack 2 woo.

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't got DLC yet, it is worth for now? i dont play Mario Kart 8 this much actually. probably depend if actually i feel about. but overall its fun sometimes. also kudo for you Soniko for the bump.

The DLC imo is worth it, you get 8 tracks, 3 characters, and 4 new vehicles. The price is worth it alone for Mute City and SNES Rainbow Road tbh.

Also Link.

Ah I was hoping a trailer or something but either way pack 2 is almost here. Can't wait. I hope they got some tracks to top mute city and hyrule castle. I never played animal crossing so I'm not sure what the stage is capable of. From what it looks like it could be a mix of a villager and forest type stage which is not really seen in mk8. I just hope they got some good stuff in there to make it exciting and beautiful.

Also I say its worth getting it. If you buy one now you might as well by the pack for both so you can just automatically get the second one. Its definitely worth it. The first pack had some amazing tracks.

The DLC imo is worth it, you get 8 tracks, 3 characters, and 4 new vehicles. The price is worth it alone for Mute City and SNES Rainbow Road tbh.

Also Link.

And Isabelle soon. Ahhhh <3

I know I said this before the SSMB wipe, but I gotta say it again; the DLC is SO worth it! Mute City is probably the best Mario Kart track ever and the music in said stage is amazing!

• Thumbs Up 2