Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

E. Gadd would be really good. Just replace Queen B. with him since she was a pointless addition to the roster. But please, no Funky Kong! I hated him in Mario Kart Wii and I would hate him still if he was in this one.

Wow, lots of hate for Funky... I thought he seemed to be an interesting addition. But he was seriously op? Yeah that's kinda bad.

Out of all DK characters they can at least add Dixie Kong, I don't think DK needs any more reps than Dixie. E. Gadd would be an amazing choice though, they simply HAVE to add him. Would be interesting if they added a WarioWare rep as well.

EDIT: I'd totally support Kamek, too.

Mario Kart Wii featured 24 characters, and I could see either 4 more new characters and bring to a grand total of 28 or just stick with the 24-racers roaster while sacrificing some characters, which could depend (but not on its total entirety) on the relevance of those characters in the Mario universe in the recent years.

Some of the choices here are quite interesting. Gotta say Professor E. Gadd does deserve a good spot in Mario Kart essentially after Luigi's Mansion 2 success. Pauline could be a good one, as the Mario vs Donkey Kong series has got some reason behind this choice. I could see Shy Guy and Lakitu make a comeback from MK7. The Babies featured in the latest Nintendo Direct had Mario, Luigi, Peach and Daisy, which seems just enough to me, so I don't think any other variants (Baby DK or Baby Bowser for example, both featured on Yoshi's Island DS as playable characters) could appear. I dunno whether Dry Bowser, King Boo, Metal Mario, Wiggler and / or Honey Queen will make a return though...

Funky Kong, as stated before by several of you guys, either has to be scrapped or at least rebalanced. I remember playing online on Mario Kart Wii and see how a good amount of players picked him, and apparently one of the vehicles he could choose (cannot remember which one it was though) boosted his speed to ridiculous amounts.

That, or bring Cranky Kong on his... turbo barrel wheelchair? o.ô

Wish they take out babies, it feels like we got 4 clones,

Don't add Queen bee or metal mario, not sure why both of these characters were added, they are not interesting to play as.

Mario Kart Wii featured 24 characters, and I could see either 4 more new characters and bring to a grand total of 28 or just stick with the 24-racers roaster while sacrificing some characters, which could depend (but not on its total entirety) on the relevance of those characters in the Mario universe in the recent years.

Some of the choices here are quite interesting. Gotta say Professor E. Gadd does deserve a good spot in Mario Kart essentially after Luigi's Mansion 2 success. Pauline could be a good one, as the Mario vs Donkey Kong series has got some reason behind this choice. I could see Shy Guy and Lakitu make a comeback from MK7. The Babies featured in the latest Nintendo Direct had Mario, Luigi, Peach and Daisy, which seems just enough to me, so I don't think any other variants (Baby DK or Baby Bowser for example, both featured on Yoshi's Island DS as playable characters) could appear. I dunno whether Dry Bowser, King Boo, Metal Mario, Wiggler and / or Honey Queen will make a return though...

Funky Kong, as stated before by several of you guys, either has to be scrapped or at least rebalanced. I remember playing online on Mario Kart Wii and see how a good amount of players picked him, and apparently one of the vehicles he could choose (cannot remember which one it was though) boosted his speed to ridiculous amounts.

That, or bring Cranky Kong on his... turbo barrel wheelchair? o.ô

Dry Bowser, Metal Mario, Wiggler, and Honey Queen? Seriously? As far as I'm concerned, CUT ALL OF THEM.

King Boo I think deserves a spot though. He's been in several Mario Kart games and is the main antagonist of the Luigi's Mansion series. I do think that Kamek (not a generic Magikoopa) should be added. That would add a Yoshi and antagonist character to Mario Kart as well. Plus Kamek's just awesome.

Funky Kong, I don't mind if they bring him back, but I think it'd be more likely that they drop Funky Kong and replace him with Dixie Kong instead. She should've had higher priority than Funky anyway (and yeah, I know that technically he appeared before Dixie, but meh, she was playable LONG before he was).

• Thumbs Up 1

Funky Kong just needs to be Rebalanced really. 

He had a +2 or something in Top Speed which made him way faster than anyone else no matter what vehicle he was using, and he was already in the Heavy Weight Class in the first place so that made him more unfair.  Daisy, and Baby Daisy also had higher than normal stats in their weight classes.

HOPEFULLY we won't see a return of the hidden Stats since the Coins are back, every Character should have the SAME Stats in the weight class. The only thing that should make you faster is what vehicle you use and how many coins you get.

Dry Bowser, Metal Mario, Wiggler, and Honey Queen? Seriously? As far as I'm concerned, CUT ALL OF THEM.

King Boo I think deserves a spot though. He's been in several Mario Kart games and is the main antagonist of the Luigi's Mansion series. I do think that Kamek (not a generic Magikoopa) should be added. That would add a Yoshi and antagonist character to Mario Kart as well. Plus Kamek's just awesome.

Funky Kong, I don't mind if they bring him back, but I think it'd be more likely that they drop Funky Kong and replace him with Dixie Kong instead. She should've had higher priority than Funky anyway (and yeah, I know that technically he appeared before Dixie, but meh, she was playable LONG before he was).

I know, that's why I said I dunno whether these characters will come back or not. Dry Bowser, outside of NSMBWii, hasn't been featured elsewhere AFAIK; Metal Mario is just Mario heavyweight and not really an interesting choice to begin with; and Wiggler and Queen Honey were total WTF additions in MK7 IMO. So all in all, I highly doubt these four will ever make a comeback.

King Boo could stay especially after the success of the Luigi's Mansion series as you said. Kamek could be a cool choice since he's had a strong representation as Bowser's minion and one of Yoshi's main antagonists for quite a long time.

And as for the Kongs... Funky Kong either is rebalanced or replaced in favour to Cranky or even Dixie, especially with DK Tropical Freeze giving 'em a spot.

Since the Mario universe is so damn huge in terms of characters, it's difficult to guess who will stay, who will be scrapped and who will be featured in the next instalment. Rest assured, the final roster will not leave anyone indifferent.

Dry Bowser, outside of NSMBWii, hasn't been featured elsewhere AFAIK

He doesn't actually appear in NSMBWii, but he is in NSMB DS, NSMB2 and 3D Land.  Though he is absoloutely the same character as Bowser so he does have the same identity crisis issue as Metal Mario anyway.  Would be better as an unlockable skin or something since he can just use the same animation skeleton anyway.  I mean Baby Mario also has identity crisis but at least they HAVE appeared alongside each other before due to time travel lol.

Funky still bothers me for being SUCH a barely tertiary Mario character though.  I dunno, it's hard to say what I dislike without being hypocritical as he's technically just as tertiary as my suggestions of E.Gadd, Polterpup, Poochie or Captain Syrup.  Though I can at least say that Mario has been an important figure in main series games where those four tertiary characters have appeared.  Mario is linked to the Donkey Kong Country sub-series way less closely than any of the other Mario spin-offs.  He's only appeared in them in seriously irrelevant barely canon cameo form (that ending screen in DKC2).  Meanwhile despite limited appearences, Mario was an important figure in Wario Land, Luigi's Mansion and Yoshi's Island, so it bothers me that those Mario-related series get less appreciation than the Donkey Kong series in Mario Kart (at least LM has had King Boo and tracks though, can't argue with that).

He doesn't actually appear in NSMBWii, but he is in NSMB DS, NSMB2 and 3D Land.  Though he is absoloutely the same character as Bowser so he does have the same identity crisis issue as Metal Mario anyway.  Would be better as an unlockable skin or something since he can just use the same animation skeleton anyway.  I mean Baby Mario also has identity crisis but at least they HAVE appeared alongside each other before due to time travel lol.

D'oh! >.<; You're absolutely right! Dunno why I said NSMBWii while indeed he wasn't featured in it. Mind you, I haven't played NSMB2 but I did play NSMB DS, Wii and U (the latter did not feature Dry Bones either), as well as 3D Land. Dunno why it came out NSMBWii as the sole example though...

Thanks for the correction BTW! =3

I wish Characters get special items again like in double dash to make them more different, Since they are mixing in MKW and MK7 why not add in MKDD with Vehicles using doubles? Add in mission mode that was in MKDS. It's almost like a All in one Mario Kart. Well they could do that.

But the music doesn't feel right, it doesn't have that racing feel to it, especially the airplane stage.

It annoys me how the last four or so Mario Kart games have all had this widdley-diddley sounding soundtrack going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ5jqD99kv8

I wish we had stuff more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AwO-gG5zAA

This game is even prettier than 3D World, it needs a live sounding soundtrack to match.

• Thumbs Up 4

I thought the music in the new trailer was great. Especially Thwomp Ruins.

PS. Sweet Sweet Canyon made me think of Sugar Rush xP

The music's fine, it just doesn't fit with a racing game, to me at least.

Wish we had some of this:

http://youtu.be/7R_aWNgSdec

And this"
http://youtu.be/ybhjox7LhmY

Not this: (Mushroom Gorge from Mario kart Wii)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP3n44MF1qc&feature=youtu.be

Yay, (Rosalina's Ice world from Mario kart 7)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tRY0ZxT8zE&feature=youtu.be

Nay,  (Daisy hills from Mario kart 7)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnJi4BF-tss

Edit: no idea why last three links not showing up as videos....i'll just put it as links

^^^

You can only embed two videos into any post, the rest are automatically replaced by links. It's to stop people flooding posts with them.

It annoys me how the last four or so Mario Kart games have all had this widdley-diddley sounding soundtrack going on:

*the monstrosity that is MKDS's circuit music*

I remember playing this game with all my friends back when I was in year 8, and we'd all mute our DSs whenever we played on one of the levels with that track cause we all hated it so much. I think "depressing" was the word we used to describe it.

Mario Kart games generally have enjoyable soundtracks, even if they're nothing too remarkable. They could be better but it's not as if any change is instantly necessary. And some tracks are bloody awesome. Like Toad Factory.

Wait...

Aww... that track is nowhere near as good as I remember it being. It's all synthetic and blah. 3DWorld has totally spoiled me as far as big band music in Mario games go. They certainly wouldn't do badly to get some of that in the action, or even just get better pretend instruments, ala the Mario Circuit Olympic music you linked to.

Not sure... Wii did have some good tracks, not the best level designs. I think 7 was an overall better package for level designs, music and balance. Since its the same team from 7 working on 8? I think it would be even better! I know it has a much bigger budget then 7 by the looks of it so im excited. 

• 1 month later...

Gamexplain's new analysis video

They missed that Wario's vehicle also makes brick patterns with the tire treads.