Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Never really understood the complaints about her being shoehorned. It's been eight years since Galaxy first released, and she's only just made her playable debut in Mario Party this year. She hasn't been playable in Mario Tennis and she was only DLC for Mario Golf. Mario Kart is Mario Kart. The only real outliers are 3D World and Smash Bros. Admittedly Smash Bros is a pretty big outlier, but there you are.

It's not like she's got her own game or anything. Yoshi and Wario both got their own games extremely soon after their respective debut appearances. This series has form of pushing popular characters, Rosalina shouldn't be any different.

• Thumbs Up 6

If they had a bias toward Rosalina her amiibo wouldn't have been a target exclusive

Well, they're probably gonna make a Super Mario Series Rosalina that would most likely be distributed across all stores eventually...

And sold out once pre-orders go up.

Rosalina shouldn't be any different.

Daisy says hi.

I really dislike Rosalina because she's treat better than the main established Princesses despite holding no real weight in the Mario universe,well rounded Character? Lol what character? She's as vanilla as they come and I don't get her cult following at all. To each their own I guess, but Peach will always be number one to me over that space trash.

Anyway, how about that soundtrack? I don't know about you guys, but I think it's still nice to finally have music from this game that aren't game rips.

It's that stylish side fringe when it comes to Rosalina being so popular, definitely. 

Maybe people like tall girls, also? (´ー`)

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyway, how about that soundtrack? I don't know about you guys, but I think it's still nice to finally have music from this game that aren't game rips.

Daisy says hi.[w/quote]

Nope, I quite clearly said "popular". [emoji14]

And besides, your complaints about character could be applied to every character ever when it comes to this franchise.

But opinions and all, as you said, I'll just try not to rub it in too much when Rosalina Galaxy is announced at E3 [emoji14]

Speaking of E3, how much coverage do you guys think this game might get, if any?

If this game is getting coverage then they either got more packs coming or maybe battle stages are coming. Hopefully its both.

You want a reason Rosalina's so popular? Spacewoman - That is all.

As for coverage of Mario Kart 8 at E3... I don't know. More DLC is always good, but I was rather hoping they'd get their act together with a surprise announcement of F-Zero. And besides, they have the Mario 30th celebrations to tell us more about. Although considering the popularity of the MK8 DLC, I wouldn't be at all surprised if more was announced for the 30th anniversary celebrations.

One thing I’d love to see in a future Mario Kart, is to have it so when playing Time Trial, stadium stands are mostly empty, maybe even a cleaner or two, and having like 10% of the regular amount of crewman Toads around the track.  Something always feels a bit off about having a massive stadium full of thousands of Mushroom Kingdom residents all hooting and hollering and cheering you on as they watch you have a solo practice run around a track.

Of course they could make it so holding down a button on map selection will load up the usual aesthetics if you prefer.

• Thumbs Up 2

Great! Bring on the next F-Zero track. And Seaside Hill and Sonic. And a massive Wuhu Island to explore and race on. And new battle modes. And... and... Ah, who am I kidding?

While more DLC is great news, there's little chance of anything but the first thing making the cut. So that means a new F-Zero track. Actually, I've just thought of something more weird and wonderful.

Mario Kart 8 x E3. Reggie, Iwata, and Shibata are the three characters, two tracks have us racing around the E3 convention floors, and the WiiU becomes a drivable bike with Gamepad as the steering and a 3DS as a glider. And it'll be the last thing announced at Nintendo's E3 Direct.

Mario Kart 8 x E3. Reggie, Iwata, and Shibata are the three characters, two tracks have us racing around the E3 convention floors, and the WiiU becomes a drivable bike with Gamepad as the steering and a 3DS as a glider. And it'll be the last thing announced at Nintendo's E3 Direct.

Way, waaaaay too niché.  I legitimately would not want to see this in the game over new Mario courses or actual Nintendo franchise crossovers.  No-one but us hardcore fans would care.  Hell I'm a hardcore fan and I would barely care.  The novelty would wear off super fast.

More DLC is good news but in the context of the soundtrack CD I am now concerned that we may never get official soundtrack releases for future content and my iTunes library will forever be an awkward mishmash of official releases and game rip, hate when that happens. 8C

• Thumbs Up 1

That's why I said weird and wonderful.

Weird for everyone who isn't a fan, and for those who are, but that some would find hilarious.

Joking aside, I made a massively close finish against a blue shell. I'll be bulk uploading to my MKTV channel later on. And I might even download a copy of that one video for myself to slow it down. That's how close it was.

Villager vs Blue Shell. There were three frames between the hit and the win.

I can't wait for Cat Rosalina, Tanuki Luigi and Baby Pink Gold Peach to be added as DLC while they continue to ignore Bowser Jr

You seriously cannot comprehend how fucking salty I am that they still haven't added him even after two DLC packs

• 6 months later...

Ahem, so for those who don;t know. Disney and Nintendo have put forth this collaboration:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/30/mario-kart-8-is-coming-to-disney-xd

Mario Kart 8 / 30 Nov 2015

Mario Kart 8 Is Coming to Disney XD

Ready your engines!

By Alex Osborn Nintendo's Wii U-exclusive kart racer is making its way to Disney XD in a new show called Clash of Karts: Mario Kart 8.

The show features "eight of America's best young gamers" who will compete alongside various YouTube personalities, including Andre of Black Nerd Comedy, AtomicMari, Strawburry 17 and SethBling, in a one-hour Mario Kart 8 competition.

Clash of Karts: Mario Kart 8 will air this coming Saturday, December 5, at 8pm PT/ET on Disney XD.

Earlier this year, Nintendo announced it was pursing licensing deals with other companies, both within the realm of video games and through external partnerships. It appears this new television deal with Disney XD is a result of the company's new efforts.

For more on Nintendo's critically acclaimed kart-racing game for Wii U, check out our comprehensive Mario Kart 8 wiki guide and this ridiculously cool Mario Kart-themed nursery.

Inb4, an upcoming Smash Tv series to boot too!

• 10 months later...

Judging from that image, I'm wondering if you can now hold up to two different items before using them?

Awesome to see King Boo back on the track. I'm curious to see who else has been added (maybe, oh I don't know, BOWSER JR.? Or DIDDY KONG?)

I really hope the Switch version doesn't end up being entirely separate from the Wii U version.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that whatever changes and/or additions they make will be patched into the original, and they end up being multiplayer compatible, or whatever the most accurate term for that would be.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's more likely that those are placeholder assets and Mario Kart for Switch is going to be a completely new game. The two item slot thing seems to be far too much of a new gameplay stretch to be merely a Wii U port with extra content.

Given the two item slot thing, King Boo and the track being played is originally from Double Dash, I'd say the new game has some kind of inspiration on Double Dash itself. Hell, in Double Dash you can switch between two characters, so whether a character swap mechanic or just a item swapping mechanic comes into play it all seems to go in tandem with the Nintendo Switch theme.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah... I'm not really getting a placeholder vibe right now.  I mean, why would they put a new character in the placeholder if they're just gonna...replace it?  And while I will admit that adding the two item slots is a bit of a stretch, it's also not outside the realm of possibility.

There's also the fact that if the small bits of gameplay footage we've seen in the Switch teaser are meant to represent launch (or near-launch) titles, it'd be a bit late in the game to still be using placeholders.

• Thumbs Up 3

Meant to represent launch titles, how so? I didn't get that same information or impression from the video or any of the news outlets I've seen today. It was implied to me they were small teasers of what's to come for the system not just for launch but during it's initial year as well, nothing concrete basically, all to promote the new system. It doesn't give away any specific details, anything but the hardware could easily have changes in these upcoming months unless it was specifically stated it was a launch title, which there's no news of as of yet and as far as I can tell.

The Mario Kart series had 8 games so far where each and every one of them had their own development cycles and were distinct enough because of it. Why would Mario Kart for Switch suddenly break that trend? GCN Yoshi Circuit can always be reused, especially since the series are running short on Retro picks (for example, N64 only has Wario Stadium who has yet to be seen again, every other track was remade at some point). The game's engine could be reused from 8, sure, it worked fine in 8 and to an extent 7 and it saves some development time, but even with an adapted engine I just don't see a reason why it can't pick up from that base and become it's own game instead, rather than a port.

As for King Boo, he could possibly been ported from the Wii game and touched up. Doesn't seem like it would take as much work as modelling a new track would do. Can't say much about his cheering animation which seems to be unique, though.

I just think it's nonsensical to imagine Mario Kart 8 "in portable HD" as a thing, that's all. They could easily create a Mario Kart 9 and grab the audience with a new game featuring new content with the time they've had since DLC Pack 2. That's what I was trying to get at. Just because it "looks like Mario Kart 8 expanded" it doesn't stop the possibility of the game from being a new game itself, regardless of the odds looking otherwise.

... I mean, what's the point in remaking Mario Kart 8 anyway? It's only been a while, the Wii U title is still fairly active, and the dev team certainly had the time to come up with new track ideas by now. It feels like an incredibly lazy move to break the trend and promote a new system with an old Mario Kart that features Switch exclusive content. Unless they think Mario Kart 8 is good enough as a system seller as it is, on which I'd feel more scared than excited about the direction Nintendo is taking here...

Edited by Mystwalker
  • Thumbs Up 2