Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Ok, first of all, I made a poor word choice.  In hindsight, I should have used the word "possibility" instead of "fact."  I don't know for a fact whether the Switch trailer was showing launch games or not, but I do suspect that it was.  As for why, it just seems like common sense to me.  The first proper reveal of the system would logically show gameplay footage from games that are planned to be available at or near launch.  Nintendo needs to try and give this thing the strongest launch possible, so they really shouldn't be talking about things that are still gonna be a ways off.

Why would "Mario Kart Switch" break the trend of Mario Karts getting full development cycles?  Because porting Mario Kart 8 with some new features is something Nintendo could probably get done in time for a console release.  It would also potentially let them use the Wii U players to pad the Switch version's multiplayer base.

Could King Boo be ported from MKWii?  Probably not.  Mario Kart 8 was the first HD Mario Kart and, as I understand it, every character in 8 had to be made from scratch because their old assets wouldn't have been up to scratch.

To be honest, it all comes back to the Switch launch for me.  The 3DS and Wii U each had garbage launches and I really think Nintendo needs to reinforce the Switch launch as much as they can, even if it means taking a shortcut here and there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering the switch is both handheld and home console, what's to stop two Mario Karts from appearing?
Handhelds almost always have a Mario Kart within a year of the console launching. A home console it takes quite a while for them to appear.
An 8.5 could be the handheld game, with a full MK9 later down the line near 2020. The Switch is catering to both markets, and we don't actually know how long-lasting this thing is going to be. A Mario Kart at the beginning and near the end of its life could be interesting to see. The two would have to be different enough of course, otherwise people will complain.

I could do with a revisit to Double Dash style of play with the new features. That would certainly be interesting.

• Thumbs Up 3

To be honest, I could totally see the Switch getting two Mario Karts, but it doesn't have anything to do with the console being a hybrid.  I just figure that if they're doing an 8 port now, that shouldn't stop them from doing a proper Mario Kart 9 later.

I've been kinda hoping to see the double karts come back for some time now.  I think it would be cool if they had them playable alongside the regular karts (and bikes and ATVs), sort of like as a tennis style "Singles or Doubles" type choice.  And I'd love to see how they'd incorporate the kart customization into them.

• Thumbs Up 7

Mario Kart 8 hasn't even been out THAT long, as a number of Wii U games, so I don't mind that they aren't making a proper sequel right now.

Now it makes me happy they are adding some more characters in as this was MK8's bad point, it character roster was large, but it was sevearly missing some much well known Mario series Mainstrays like King Boo, Diddy, Birdo and most shockingly of all Bowser Jr., and characters that SHOULD'VE been in these games by now like Prof. E.Gadd and Kamek, shoot even the damn Tennis game had Spritze Princess. Instead they were shafted for damn metal copies and more babies. I didn't mind having all the Koopalings in, but why the hell exclude Jr.?

The other problem was the Item Roulette balance which never got addressed....how you can have a damn single banana in last place while the guy in first or 3rd somehow acquire a Star.

The 3rd problem, is the Weight Class Balance, the Heavy Weights absolutely dominate the game, and they messed up the stats as well. It was good in MK7.

I do hope all this get address, along with a possible Double Dash option.