Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Looks like character specific items may be returning(apperently is was said something from double dash is coming back, and as much as I would love a DD mode thats kinda unlikely)

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=223644

sepodracomprar_1082414_650x.jpg

If you live in Spain and plan on getting Mario Kart 8, you'll be able to grab yourself some of these key covers depending on where you preorder. The real interesting thing about these key covers is that Nintendo says they're based on game items. I don't know about you, but I don't ever remember items like the DK barrel and Cheep-Cheep Fish being in Mario Kart! Are we getting our first look at some new items for the latest outing?

If that's true we can add Cheep Cheep, DK Barrel, Yoshi Egg and 1-Up Mushroom to the list of items. Anyone want to speculate on how they would function? They seem like some rather intriguing choices.

If nothing else though, we can now also add key covers to the growing list of pre-order incentives for the game in European regions (I want them in the UK too, dammit!). Nintendo really is throwing everything they can at this title, it seems!

Doesn't surprise me being the success of MKWii, it was the Highest Selling game on the Wii after all, pretty much being the most played game Online, and still is being played online, at least till May 20th when Nintendo Shuts down wi fi for both Wii and DS.

And Mario Kart 7 is the second highest selling game on the 3DS, beaten by Pokemon X/Y

Double Dash is second highest selling Gamecube game behind SSBM

MKDS is 3rd highest selling on DS behind Nintendogs and New Super Mario Bros.

And Mario Kart 64 is the second highest selling game on the N64 behind Super Mario 64.

So Yeah, Mario Kart is big, I mean, BIG, and a major money maker on every Nintendo system that comes. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Hmmmm, Dk barrel?

I see this item acting as a trap item, whoever gets caught by the barrel they gotta shake up the barrel to break out of it to continue the race. I think this item can be another first place item, to defend yourself.

Or maybe you can roll ahead of you to squish others, so we got another squishing item other than just Mega mushroom.

Cheep cheep item? I can see it flopping around creating puddles. I have no idea how it will act underwater.

Yoshi egg can be the same as in doubledash I guess.

1-up mushroom is a tough one. It would probably be about speed. The only idea I have for this item is that the speed is ongoing and you cannot stop it like you can with the golden mushroom, so it can be bad or good depending on situation. But I feel there is a better way to use this item for something else.

But one thing i'd love is the character specific items coming back from double dash. But if that was to happen I wonder what kind of powers the kooplings get.

Wait a minute the blue shell doesn't have any wings on it...gasp does that mean its going to function like it did in mario kart 64? Oh God please yes

It'll probably work like in MK7.

How was that? I never played 7

Wait a minute the blue shell doesn't have any wings on it...gasp does that mean its going to function like it did in mario kart 64? Oh God please yes

It didn't have wings in Mario Kart 7 and it still essentially functioned the same as it has previously, flying through the air and knocking out the person in 1st place. I think it had a slight tendency to hit other players that got in its way though, so it was a sorta hybrid of the two styles. I expect it to remain identical to that for this game, though I too would much prefer it to go back to the ways of Mario Kart 64.

Speaking of which, really random thought... but if Nintendo keeps up the numbering system for new Mario Kart titles, what happens when they reach the 64th one? That's just going to be very confusing for everyone :lol:

Awwww well that's what I get for getting too excited just feel like the blue shell is a completely pointless power up since it only affects the person in first and doesn't help the user if he's dead last

In Kart 7 it would zoom along the ground, hitting anyone in the Middle of the track

When it gets to the person in first, it jumps up and divebombs them

In Kart 7 it would zoom along the ground, hitting anyone in the Middle of the track

When it gets to the person in first, it jumps up and divebombs them

In other words, it was the "best" of both worlds. Let's just hope they take it down a couple more notches this time around.

It didn't have wings in Mario Kart 7 and it still essentially functioned the same as it has previously, flying through the air and knocking out the person in 1st place. I think it had a slight tendency to hit other players that got in its way though, so it was a sorta hybrid of the two styles. I expect it to remain identical to that for this game, though I too would much prefer it to go back to the ways of Mario Kart 64.

Speaking of which, really random thought... but if Nintendo keeps up the numbering system for new Mario Kart titles, what happens when they reach the 64th one? That's just going to be very confusing for everyone laugh.png

Mario kart 64: the sequel to a million sequels.

You guys are looking too far into the keychains, some of those are actually already known hazards.

Cheep Cheeps appear in various underwater tracks like Dolphin shoals, and also their are Mecha Cheep Cheeps in the Sub Coaster/Water Park track.

The DK Barrels are obstacles in the already confirmed Retro Track, DK Jungle, returning from MK7.

And Boo's appear as hazards in the Twisted Mansion in the Gliding section, also possessing large suits of armor towards the end of the track. Still unknown if it will actually be back as an item or not, especially if King Boo happens to be playable again.

Now as for the Yoshi Egg, 1-Up Mushroom and Question Block, they MIGHT be possible items, but I highly doubt they'll be character specific. Shoot they might not be items at all and simply just for decoration.

And Yes, the Blue Shell operates like in MK7 and shoots along the path, anyone foolish enough to get in it's flight path will get bulldozed before finally reaching the leader and blasting them, BUT, as with previous games, you can likely use a well-timed Mushroom to avoid the blast.

You guys are looking too far into the keychains, some of those are actually already known hazards.

Cheep Cheeps appear in various underwater tracks like Dolphin shoals, and also their are Mecha Cheep Cheeps in the Sub Coaster/Water Park track.

The DK Barrels are obstacles in the already confirmed Retro Track, DK Jungle, returning from MK7.

And Boo's appear as hazards in the Twisted Mansion in the Gliding section, also possessing large suits of armor towards the end of the track. Still unknown if it will actually be back as an item or not, especially if King Boo happens to be playable again.

Now as for the Yoshi Egg, 1-Up Mushroom and Question Block, they MIGHT be possible items, but I highly doubt they'll be character specific. Shoot they might not be items at all and simply just for decoration.

And Yes, the Blue Shell operates like in MK7 and shoots along the path, anyone foolish enough to get in it's flight path will get bulldozed before finally reaching the leader and blasting them, BUT, as with previous games, you can likely use a well-timed Mushroom to avoid the blast.

I love to speculate the possibility, plus, you never know :)

Id like for a double cherry power up, you'll be able to take an extra hit.

I think if anything, it might be some variations on their original double dash specials like for say this time with mario's fireballs, they have a tiny explosion upon impacting a wall but not he only throws one at a time (can throw up to 3).

I am actually curious to see how this game is gonna turn out, even if I don't follow the media coverage for it all that much. One thing I will hope for is that it won't be so filled with items that causal players can easily dominate skilled players and that there will be some good tracks in the game so people won't spam Rainbow Road on the track vote screen in this game alot of the time.

Usually items like this are for people in last place like bullet bill and lightning

I hated the tanooki though it should be around 8th to 4th, not first place.

Oh hey, I really love the special edition. It's not ground breaking or anything, but certainly cool and I'll place my pre-order for the Nintendo Shop version with the keychain and t-shirt. I really do hate all these different shop exclusives though. Erugh...

• Thumbs Up 1

As do I, ll that's missing to make this the best choice is a steelbook though.

Hoping we'll get a MK8 Diorama on Club Nintendo like the Luigi's Mansion 2 one at some point though.

I think if anything, it might be some variations on their original double dash specials like for say this time with mario's fireballs, they have a tiny explosion upon impacting a wall but not he only throws one at a time (can throw up to 3).

Don't get why they would bother with another fireball item when the Fire Flower has already been confirmed to be back since the first trailer, they even showed artwork of it already.

I hated the tanooki though it should be around 8th to 4th, not first place.

The Tanooki Tail can go to hell. that was the most trolliest item they made. Not to mention players in first get it commonly, which was a stupid decision as they already get enough defensive items as it is in first, virtually made the leader immortal to everything except lighting and Spiny Shells.

It was already bad enough they took out the Fake item Box as it is, which was the only thing keeping the player in first from spamming defensive items constantly.

Yea mk7 was very luck base compared to Wii

And I hope the bullet bill isn't slow in this version. In mk7 it was so slow, as I remember, someone with a golden mushroom took me awhile to get past with bullet bill.

And yes fake item box was pretty much useless for defense, because you'll know when to attack the first player when they drop the fake item box. And every time I see them drop a fake item box I'd be like "Your rear end is mine"

When I play Wii online I always watch the players ahead of me, because sometimes being careless and reaching 1st place quickly with no defense. Could cause your match, especially on the last lap.

Don't get why they would bother with another fireball item when the Fire Flower has already been confirmed to be back since the first trailer, they even showed artwork of it already.

Oh yeah, haven't really been paying that much attention to this so I might've missed it but then again though, I probably should've known anyway since fire flower was in MK 7. My bad.

Awwww well that's what I get for getting too excited just feel like the blue shell is a completely pointless power up since it only affects the person in first and doesn't help the user if he's dead last

Only in 1st? It had a blast radius that made anyone caught in it spin out, some unlucky people too close to 1st were just as effected by its explosion.

And yes fake item box was pretty much useless for defense, because you'll know when to attack the first player when they drop the fake item box. And every time I see them drop a fake item box I'd be like "Your rear end is mine"

Defensively, fake item boxes could be used to either easily stop someone tail-gating you or placing the box among a bunch of item boxes.

Fake Item Boxes...Jynx(s) don't block items...they only did that in 64.

Only in 1st? It had a blast radius that made anyone caught in it spin out, some unlucky people too close to 1st were just as effected by its explosion.

Defensively, fake item boxes could be used to either easily stop someone tail-gating you or placing the box among a bunch of item boxes.

Fake Item Boxes...Jynx(s) don't block items...they only did that in 64.

Not to mention it could hit anyone in it's path from whatever place it was launched to first. So it could technically hit anyone in 7th and up if the are in the path