Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Interesting to know that nintendos actually given some serious thoughts to balance this (honestly the blue shells not flipping you into the air would've been the only thing I needed) though the gravity mechanic still seems more of an aesthetic than a gameplay feature though, might just think about getting this one at some point, would be the first mario kart ive gotten since double dash at the least.

It does have a bit of an effect on how you drive. When you bump into other drivers, or certain obstacles while in that gravity mode, you will actually gain a speed boost instead of normal situation.

It does have a bit of an effect on how you drive. When you bump into other drivers, or certain obstacles while in that gravity mode, you will actually gain a speed boost instead of normal situation.

Yeah, I guess that is something though I kind of wish it was like sonic riders zero gravity where you could choose where to latch onto.

Lemmy Koopa would definitely be the lightest of the seven, and Morton Koopa Jr. would be the heaviest. If the classes are based purely on height, then Iggy might be above Morton, due to being the lankiest.

If I had to make a list, assuming they want to place the Koopalings in all five of the categories:

Super Light

Lemmy

Light

Larry

Wendy

Heavy

Ludwig

Iggy

Super Heavy

Roy

Morton

Though, I can't help but feel that Ludwig could break the "Mario Bros. only" rule and join the Medium class, if only to reflect his place as the oldest and the most skilled of the seven. Ludwig being Medium could also form a sequential pattern of 1-2-1-2-1 in the number Koopalings per category, and Roy could join Iggy to complete the pattern, albeit a very heavy "Heavy: character. That would also set up a pattern with the Koopas in general - Morton joins Bowser in the Super Heavy class, and Lemmy joins Koopa Troopa in Super Light.

It seems to me like there are so many Super Light characters that it wouldn't make sense to add any of the Koopalings to it.  I mean, there already seems to be nine, and that's pretty crazy on its own.

The spread I'm leaning toward is

Light

Lemmy

Wendy

Medium

Larry

Heavy

Iggy

Ludwig?

Super Heavy

Roy

Morton

Ludwig?

I'm on the fence about whether Ludwig should be Heavy or Super Heavy, and I'm kind of assuming that since the Koopalings are the same species as Bowser, it makes sense to keep them out of the Super Light range.  I mean, they're all sort of like less big versions of Bowser, in a way.

And also, we know there will be more characters, who will probably balance out the overall numbers.  The overall numbers are the most important thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yoshi Valley 64 and Sherbet Land GCN have been confirmed btw. Their names appear on the departure boards in Sunshine Airport which has been used to confirm the names of other tracks in the past.

Yoshi Valley 64 and Sherbet Land GCN have been confirmed btw.

Yoshi Valley 64 have been confirmed btw.

Yoshi Valley 64

If it wasn't for the fact that I've already pre-ordered this game, that decision would have finalized right now. As soon as this was pointed out, I immediately did a Google search and found everything here.

http://www.mariokartwii.com/f105/n64-yoshi-valley-gcn-sherbet-land-secretly-135205.html

I was already licking my chops over the retro courses as it is with.Moo Moo Meadows, Toad's Turnpike, DK Jungle, Pirahna Plant Slide, Tick Tock Clock, Grumble Volcano, Music Park and Rainbow Road 64... But now they're throwing Yoshi Valley into the mix? There's offically a YoshiUnity in every dimension buying this now.

Yoshi Valley was one of my all-time favorite courses next to Baby Park and Waluigi Pinball. It's very unique, fun and always a barrel of laughs to see what place everyone comes in. (Also being a course named after my favorite character of all time also helps too.) I can't wait to see how Nintendo worked in the Anti-Gravity into this course. I can see this course going anywhere but even more insane.

...Also Sherbet land... Whooo... Cool. Can't wait for more of that Yoshi Valley!

Analysis!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s84ADC9smzY

If you really want to know the level of detail they've got into, look at the Rainbow Road gif above.

Now look in the background. There's a city for a background. Now look closer.

There are cars moving around down there.

I knew there was so much detail gone into track design. I didn't know the same thing had been done for the course backgrounds as well.

Not that this really needed confirmation, but still, just to clear up any confusion...

Mario Kart 8 will have TWO Rainbow Roads

Rainbow Road 64 is just the Retro Rainbow Road, like Mario Kart 7's Lightning Cup ended with the SNES Rainbow Road (come to think of it, does this pattern mean we'll see GBA Rainbow Road in Mario Kart 9?).

The Special Cup of Mario Kart 8 will have its very own brand-spanking new Rainbow Road, no doubt filled with all manner of anti-gravity twists and turns and oh god if the N64 one looks this good I can't even begin to imagine how amazing the new one will be!

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm a little more excited over what Bowser's Castle is gonna look like than Rainbow road at the moment.

BTW, were missing just one Nitro track and one Retro track each, I betting the last Nitro track will be a Snow track, and for Retro, I'm still holding out for Wario Colisseum.

Yeah, that's what I'm finding interesting. We haven't seen Bowser's Castle yet, either.

Two Rainbow Roads isn't a surprise, though. Hasn't the past TWO games had two Rainbow Roads?

Not that this really needed confirmation, but still, just to clear up any confusion...

Mario Kart 8 will have TWO Rainbow Roads

Rainbow Road 64 is just the Retro Rainbow Road, like Mario Kart 7's Lightning Cup ended with the SNES Rainbow Road (come to think of it, does this pattern mean we'll see GBA Rainbow Road in Mario Kart 9?).

If we do get that, I think a lot of people are going to have an Eargasm to the remix of that particular stage.

Yeah, that's what I'm finding interesting. We haven't seen Bowser's Castle yet, either.

Two Rainbow Roads isn't a surprise, though. Hasn't the past TWO games had two Rainbow Roads?

Only MK7 did.

Actually, now that Bowser's Castle has been mentioned, we've had at least two retro Bowser's Castle's in the last two games, and in MK8 there hasn't been a single mention of a Bowser's Castle retro track.

I think we can be glad of that, although I would still have liked GCN Bowser's Castle to be remade.

iXpJn1qdARWuo.gif

769f2b5614b9d46f5f2d17a3a7253eec7987ba29

Holy fuck! As if the game hasn't already convinced me to buy Wii-U for this, then this footage just set me dead straight into buying it!

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder what's gonna happen once the SNES tracks is all used up. But it doesn't matter.

Yes, let's hope the last one is a bowser castle remake. I'd choose Bowser castle Wii version, That was my favorite track in Wii. Hopefully its not another classic bowser castle track. Like from GBA and SNES.

Well, considering they haven't even touched the SNES Bowser Castle tracks, and only Bowser Castle 4 remains from Super Circuit, you can guarantee only one will ever return. Ever.

Interesting thought, but... we've got a roster of what, 27 characters now? That's already the largest Mario Kart line-up to date, and it's not even complete yet. But do we think we're going to have all of those racers available from the start, or will you have to unlock some (be it already announced ones or the yet-to-be-revealed ones)?

It would definitely be neat to have this cavalcade of characters to choose from when you first boot up the game, but it will also take away some of the excitement of unlocking a new driver when you complete Grand Prix cups. Though, of course, if they do things like they did with Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii and have it so you can unlock karts/kart parts for getting on the podium instead, that'd make up for it and still you give you an incentive to blast through all the races.

As much as I want Nintendo to throw all of its secrets out before launch to get me so hyped up I explode with excitement, I also want them to hold at least something back to discover on my own. This game is already going to be filled to the brim with features, but it'd be nice for there to be a surprise or two in store nevertheless.

• Thumbs Up 3

Interesting thought, but... we've got a roster of what, 27 characters now? That's already the largest Mario Kart line-up to date, and it's not even complete yet. But do we think we're going to have all of those racers available from the start, or will you have to unlock some (be it already announced ones or the yet-to-be-revealed ones)?

It would definitely be neat to have this cavalcade of characters to choose from when you first boot up the game, but it will also take away some of the excitement of unlocking a new driver when you complete Grand Prix cups. Though, of course, if they do things like they did with Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii and have it so you can unlock karts/kart parts for getting on the podium instead, that'd make up for it and still you give you an incentive to blast through all the races.

As much as I want Nintendo to throw all of its secrets out before launch to get me so hyped up I explode with excitement, I also want them to hold at least something back to discover on my own. This game is already going to be filled to the brim with features, but it'd be nice for there to be a surprise or two in store nevertheless.

Definitely have to be some unlockables. For instance, there's no way we'll have all 7(?) Koopalings from the start.

• Thumbs Up 1

Forget the tracks, the music alone is worth getting this game for.

Cheep Cheep Beach sounds so brilliant compared to the original score, as do all the other tracks' songs.

Best soundtrack since Double Dash?

Mario Kart 64 OST or get out.

I still consider the credits theme and Rainbow Road from 64 to be the best songs to ever come out of the 90s. The fact that RR64 got a remix makes me ecstatic.

Too bad I won't hear the song looped proper because people don't like long tracks for some reason and so the track was tragically cut down. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually I'm just hoping they get a OST out this time, I'm still mad that they never released one for 7 for whatever odd reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah. Yes. Mario Kart 64's OST. I'd forgot about that. Although it is my least played of the series so it's kind of understandable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Q&A session

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYtzinjKsMA&feature=player_detailpage

Also they had to be extremely coy on wheter or not there are more characters, which implies there is, proably a LOT... this should be interesting

In relation to Retro courses, I'll just leave this here.

Seems they're breaking tradition by not having four courses return from the two latest games.
Unless, Yoshi Valley and Sherbet Land were placed there purposfully. Since most of the track listing was revealed that way before, obviously most people would look to the boards first. Could be nothing more than a cruel joke.
I half hope it isn't, but you can never know.

Oh boy, this game looks friggin amazing! I'll be downloading it minute one for sure.

Probably one of the most next gen looking games I've seen so far, and it's on Wii U. Maybe not on Arkham Knight levels, but this does look next gen. So there you go Jovah, you were right that the Wii U could produce next gen graphics. :)

I'm going to go and eat crow now.