Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Oh boy, this game looks friggin amazing! I'll be downloading it minute one for sure.

Probably one of the most next gen looking games I've seen so far, and it's on Wii U. Maybe not on Arkham Knight levels, but this does look next gen. So there you go Jovah, you were right that the Wii U could produce next gen graphics. smile.png

I'm going to go and eat crow now.

The Wii U can produce current gen graphics =P

• Thumbs Up 4

Someone please tell me that there's a cloud-shaped kart for Lakitu.

It's just too obvious to miss out.

Someone please tell me that there's a cloud-shaped kart for Lakitu.

It's just too obvious to miss out.

Well, if they have bowsers smeckselicious pimp mobile in here then I would be pretty surprised if they don't have a cloud kart for lakitu.

They had the cloud kart in Mario kart 7 so I'm sure they'll have it here.

I wouldn't be so sure.  Out of all the Mario Kart 8 videos I've seen over the last couple days, I haven't seen many familiar karts or vehicles.  In fact, I can only think of two that actually resemble karts from previous games.

I hope this game is actually fast.

Fast.....did you say.....f-f-fast?

No no, I mustn't post him. I can't.

It looks to be faster than MK7, so I think it'll be alright.

I hope this game is actually fast.

It looks decently fast based on all the footage we've seen so far, at least to me. But I suppose there's a difference between watching footage and how it feels to actually play it...

Fast.....did you say.....f-f-fast?

No no, I mustn't post him. I can't.

Hehe, I know who you mean......

Roadrunner_looney_tunes.png

Right??

• Thumbs Up 6

I've decided that I'll be downloading the game. I just prefer the thought of having Sonic Boom in the disc drive and not having to remove it to play Mario Kart 8. Also, it means that I can boot it up from the quick start menu when that gets patched in in a future firmware.

I'm not really all that interested in the pre-order bonuses honestly.

By the way, does anyone think that they'll have voice chat in online multiplayer? Maybe for people who don't have parental controls?

By the way, does anyone think that they'll have voice chat in online multiplayer? Maybe for people who don't have parental controls?

Nintendo and voice chat are two things that never really seem to go together, and there's been absolutely no mention of it being in this game so far, so I'd wager it's a no. The closest we've ever seen to Nintendo doing proper voice chat is Wii Speak for Animal Crossing: Let's Go To The City!... and that, well, sucked.

I imagine the online mode for MK8 will be virtually identical to the one seen in MK7, just with a spit of HD polish and 12 racers instead of 8.

EDIT: New art from the Wii U UK Facebook page showing off the two new items

10246840_613575112050560_1076522447_n.jp

• Thumbs Up 6

Just use Skype

To anyone curious about how the whole MKTV feature works after races, Gamereactor has a couple videos that show full races that also show off the MKTV replays at the end.  It's pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LnJs9DsOO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlYw0tracqU

• Thumbs Up 2

ONM have a preview of Mario Kart 8 in their latest issue, which presumably contains info we already know, but I'm really rather impressed by the artwork design they've used for it:

image_63814.jpg

And because I liked it so much, using the magic of Photoshop I've cut it down a bit so it looks more like a promotional image rather than the opening to a magazine preview (the colours got a bit washed out when importing the image, couldn't be helped):

x3y2l5.jpg

Mario Kart 8: Defying Gravity... sounds like a pretty decent subtitle for an OST, actually laugh.png I wonder if we'll get a soundtrack on Club Nintendo, seeing as this game is using a live band for some tracks? Though I'm still waiting for the Super Mario 3D World and DKC: Tropical Freeze ones to hit Europe so I won't hold out too much hope...!

infographic

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/04/nintendo_releases_an_awesome_mario_kart_infographic

Nintendo Releases An Awesome Mario Kart Infographic

Posted

Tue 8th Apr 2014 01:35 by Thomas Whitehead

Sorry arcade titles, you're out

With the release of Mario Kart 8 on Wii U preoccupying many minds ahead of 30th May, Nintendo is taking every opportunity to raise awareness and hype. Is there a better way to do this than with a fancy infographic? No, no there isn't.

The infographic below shows the eight main series entries to date, spurning the Namco-developed Mario Kart Arcade entries in favour of those on Nintendo's own hardware. That seems fair, as the selection does conveniently add up the correct numbers to bring us to number eight on the Wii U.

You can check it out below — perhaps more graphic than info — and let us know what you think. If you want to see it full size, just click on the image, or tap if you're on a fancy smart device.

630x.jpg

I love how they have the Blue Shell in the MK Wii picture. Perfectly represents how most of the races went in that game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love how they have the Blue Shell in the MK Wii picture. Perfectly represents how most of the races went in that game.

Especially online

Is anybody getting the limited edition? If so, could they try throwing the Blue Shell at someone to see what happens? I'm curious.

Is anybody getting the limited edition? If so, could they try throwing the Blue Shell at someone to see what happens? I'm curious.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it will probably hurt (and potentially damage the otherwise excellent condition collector's item) :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

Nah, I'm sure it'll only slow them down for a couple of seconds. ;)

I have a question about eShop copies; Do they go live at 12am on the day of release, or is it later on?

Nah, I'm sure it'll only slow them down for a couple of seconds. wink.png

I have a question about eShop copies; Do they go live at 12am on the day of release, or is it later on?

The digital versions go live at midnight on launch day, yes.

EDIT: Pre-order bonus for Canada confirmed! Those of you who pre-order from EB Games Canada get this (de)motivational poster...

mario-kart-8-bonus-lg.jpg

EDIT 2: Yet another pre-order bonus is confirmed for the UK! This time it's from ShopTo and only applies to the Standard Edition - it's a blue shell themed t-shirt that says "second is best"

1397119810.jpg

Pre-order the game/t-shirt here: http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIUMA02-mario-kart-8-inc-free-t-shirt

Personally I still think the Bullet Bill shirt from the Nintendo UK Online Store looks better, but this is a nice little alternative for people who only want the Standard Edition and at ShopTo's slightly cheaper price, too!

Hmmm

b49on8.jpg

Comparing these two screenshots from Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed and Mario Kart 8, respectively.

Which game do you think looks more technically impressive? I'd have to say that on a graphical level, they're on par with each other, though Sonic may have some more impressive detail in some respects, but all in all, I would say that Mario Kart 8 seems to be superior due to its consistent 60 frames per second.

What are your thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 4

Hmmm

*snip*

Comparing these two screenshots from Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed and Mario Kart 8, respectively.

Which game do you think looks more technically impressive? I'd have to say that on a graphical level, they're on par with each other, though Sonic may have some more impressive detail in some respects, but all in all, I would say that Mario Kart 8 seems to be superior due to its consistent 60 frames per second.

What are your thoughts?

ARST definitely does have better graphical fidelity. But MK is 60fps, and I prefer framerate over graphics.

ARST definitely does have better graphical fidelity. But MK is 60fps, and I prefer framerate over graphics.

ummm, actualy, MK8 seems to have a better cohesion and graphics in a number of ways compared to the Wii-u version of ASRT and its 60FPS with 2 people, and while ASRT has a couple more diversity, Mario Kart 8 has its own tricks

Also, we should be comparing the wii-u versions, not the PC version, cause that has extra power, we need to compare this on equivelent standards

I prefer Mario Kart 8. Graphically ASRT has more visual detail, but Mario Kart 8 has 60fps and still looks damn impressive.