Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

The digital versions go live at midnight on launch day, yes.

EDIT: Pre-order bonus for Canada confirmed! Those of you who pre-order from EB Games Canada get this (de)motivational poster...

Not only is it a fucking meme, but it's something I could most likely make in 5 minutes in one of those meme generators. That's really fucking shitty.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think MK8 has some better textures and details than ASRT, but I like the look of both games.

MK8 just looks more gorgeous and looks more fluid.

Also more fun, cause boy, I got bored of ASRT pretty quick compared to a single Mario Kart game which I end up playing for years.

It seems like ONM Spain may have just accidentally leaked another character. Can you guess who?

I doubt that surprises anyone and its downright expected. Nice to see, though. Now I'm just waiting for

Dixie Kong and/or K. Rool, as well as E. Gadd and perhaps even Kamek.

Why did it take me more than 5 minutes to realize that diddy was revealed? Anyways it was kinda expected but you never know, waluigi was cut from 7

Great to see that.....

Diddy

...has been confirmed. Hopefully we'll get...

Cranky

...as well.

Mario Kart 8 looks better than Sonic All Stars Racing. Sonic All Stars Racing ran at a mediocre 30fps and had a horrible loss of detail in multiplayer. The art direction for Mario Kart 8 also looks way better. If you play multiplayer in Mario Kart, you still get HD and 60fps. This is still one of my biggest annoyances of the All Stars Racing. Having a lot of detail isn't that great if you remove all of it when you play with friends. It's a kart racer...

Now if you compare it to the PC version, Sonic does stand out more. 60FPS and high detail is sick.

STILL though.. that Nintendo art style is bad ass.

MK8 just looks more gorgeous and looks more fluid.

Also more fun, cause boy, I got bored of ASRT pretty quick compared to a single Mario Kart game which I end up playing for years.

To me ASRT got boring because of all the padding the game wants you to do in world tour mode to unlock all the characters and the fact that there aren't that many people playing the game online. Also I think the wow factor of transforming disappeared after the 5th time playing through the stages

• Thumbs Up 1

CoyfJjL.jpg

We finally got a look at the Updated Character Select Screen.

Shows 3 Hidden Characters, through it wouldn't surprise me if theirs more, cause MK Wii fooled you twice, first with showing 12 characters, then 18 spaces after you unlock the first character, the finally you see a couple more slots.

Their looks like some more extra space at the bottom of the screen

CoyfJjL.jpg

We finally got a look at the Updated Character Select Screen.

Shows 3 Hidden Characters, through it wouldn't surprise me if theirs more, cause MK Wii fooled you twice, first with showing 12 characters, then 18 spaces after you unlock the first character, the finally you see a couple more slots.

Their looks like some more extra space at the bottom of the screen

If that's the final count, they could easily fill in those slots with just a few returning characters. Diddy, Dry Bones, and someone else, perhaps Funky Kong. I personally don't think Funky would be back, but meh, who knows?

Its possible there are additional characters, but I'm not going to bet on it. We'll see if new ones are revealed, and I certainly hope that the Koopalings aren't the only "new" characters to Mario Kart.

MK8 also loses fidelity in multiplayer. At least with 3-4 players....

Actually, MK 8 just halves the FPS for 4-player splitscreen. It retains graphical fidelity regardless, and is pretty much the only racing game that I can think of that actually retains 60 FPS in 2-player splitscreen.

I bet its diddy, birdo and bowser Jr.

personaly, I think Funky has a chance of returning, he does retain some popularity, and DK could use some more general representation

Also I agree, I think that there could be an entire additional row of characters, and they did it so that if this sort of leak did happen, it wouldnt get revealed... I also think there is a chance we could get a decent amount of DK representation, I wouldnt rule out another villian like K.Rool(who was in super sluggers) or female like Dixie

A wario ware rep or two would be cool as well

so ya I would mark it up to 9 hidden characters, possibly mostly being newcomers

I bet its diddy, birdo and bowser Jr.

Birdo is possible, but Bowser Jr.? I think Bowser Jr. got replaced by the Koopalings.

I forgot about Birdo, I'd be surprised if he/she didn't show up. It is possible we've got another row and it doesn't show up until you unlock them, but I still question it.

If we do have another row, let's look at who's possible (starting from the question spaces):

Diddy King

Birdo

Dry Bones

Dixie Kong

Funky Kong

King K. Rool

Kamek

Professor E. Gadd

King Boo

That's my suggestion, but other possibilities are:

Bowser Jr.

Petey Piranha

Queen Bee (please no)

Paratroopa (probably not)

Personally I really don't think Funky Kong will come back, but its possible. I doubt Bowser Jr. due to the Koopalings, but its possible he might be back as well.

Actually, MK 8 just halves the FPS for 4-player splitscreen. It retains graphical fidelity regardless, and is pretty much the only racing game that I can think of that actually retains 60 FPS in 2-player splitscreen.

I'm pretty sure they said that it was the graphics that get toned down, I can't quite remember though.

Forza Xbone doesn't retain 60 with 2 player?

To me ASRT got boring because of all the padding the game wants you to do in world tour mode to unlock all the characters and the fact that there aren't that many people playing the game online. Also I think the wow factor of transforming disappeared after the 5th time playing through the stages

Its not for everyone I guess, personally I really enjoyed it, only issues I really have with it are the glitches and even those I can mostly overlook since its probably one of the best kart racers i've played next to CTR (ah but thats a conversation for another time).

As for which game looks better, I would have to go with MK8 on this one, nintendo really went all out with making this game look really good and the fact that the Fps is going to stay consistent during multiplayer (at least for two players) is a plus.

• Thumbs Up 1

The thing about ASRT is that the FPS wasn't consistent on any platforms that weren't PC, even when "locked" at 30 FPS. It was kind of shitty, but I still do like the game very much. Now if only the netcode were better.

The thing about ASRT is that the FPS wasn't consistent on any platforms that weren't PC, even when "locked" at 30 FPS. It was kind of shitty, but I still do like the game very much. Now if only the netcode were better.

I second that. All Stars Bumper Cars Racing Transformed...

• Thumbs Up 3

I second that. All Stars Bumper Cars Racing Transformed...

Third'd, I could swear that sumo said they had fixed that in one of the updates too (it got better but it was still really bad).

Its not for everyone I guess, personally I really enjoyed it, only issues I really have with it are the glitches and even those I can mostly overlook since its probably one of the best kart racers i've played next to CTR (ah but thats a conversation for another time).

As for which game looks better, I would have to go with MK8 on this one, nintendo really went all out with making this game look really good and the fact that the Fps is going to stay consistent during multiplayer (at least for two players) is a plus.

I still like the game it's just a few problems about it that harpens my experience with it but its mostly the glitches(some that freeze my wii U) and online hiccups like passing the finish line and the game doesn't register it

I doubt anyone cares, but I thought I'd share some thoughts.  

I've been trying to figure out some reasonable guesses on what sorts of characters we can expect to see in the game by figuring out the most likely weight classes for the characters we do know about, because it should be fairly safe to assume they'll try to have a fairly even spread of characters.  If that recent picture of the character select screen is actually showing the full size of the final roster, then I can make two guesses.

If the game is using Mario Kart 7's spread of five weight classes, then all of the characters we don't know will probably be in the Super Heavy range, like Petey Piranha or Dry Bowser.

If the game is using something closer to Mario Kart Wii's three weight classes, then we can expect three medium range characters, like Diddy Kong or Bowser Jr.