Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

I missed mario Kart 7 so I'm looking forward to this. I LOVE Rainbow Road, none of my friends get the drifting mechanic and always played automatic on MKW!

Melody Motorway and Pirahna Plant Pipeway (yay for unnecessary localisation changes lol) were certainly the most striking tracks from 7.  Perfect choices.  Pipeway in particular looks gorgeous with the new lighting.

I hope either N64 Rainbow Road or DS Rainbow Road is the final Retro track on this.

Edited by JezMM

You know, I play Mario Kart 7 all the time online (always looking for challengers if anyone wants to race me on there) but anyway, this looks like it took the best things from Mario Kart 7 (with the same develepers) and also took out the bad stuff from the Wii version. I also saw a demo video where they brought back snaking from the DS version which I don't mind. Im quite excited honestly.... 

Rosalina does NOT fit in a kart racer. The Mario series has plenty of "wacky" characters to pick, so why put one of their only serious ones in such a silly position?

Rosalina does NOT fit in a kart racer. The Mario series has plenty of "wacky" characters to pick, so why put one of their only serious ones in such a silly position?

because it's funny seeing a Serious Character in a silly Kart racer

Plus frankly I take Rosalina over some Bottom of the Barrel Characters like Queen Bee, Metal Mario or any of the Stupid Babies outside of Baby Mario & Luigi

Edited by Mr. NinjaShark
  • Thumbs Up 9

Metal Mario was nice to see though, just wish they had played the Metal Mario theme the entire time you used him :P

I would've rather had Metal Mario as either a Alt Skin or appear in the form of a Power up instead of being his own racer.

How could anybody hate something so beautiful.

You know nothing of my pain.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's all about Biker Rosalina, my friend.

Speaking of which, she better be in this game. Ol' Rosie needs some more love.

HD Biker Rosalina? Be still, my beating heart.

At least, I think it's my heart.

Bikes confirmed to not have wheelies and now have a two-tiered boost. Well, at least from the footage.

A Metal item box pick up would be fucking awesome, as long as we get a remixed Metal Mario theme.

So, Mario Kart 8. I got to play it at Best Buy. If the entire game is as good as the demo was, it's a must-have title.

The game is back to 12-racers per race, and there were 12 racers to choose from: The MK64 gang, Waluigi, Koopa Troopa, Daisy, and Toadette. It may just for the sake of variety for the demo, but not everyone had a Kart, nor did everyone have a Bike. I chose Waluigi, while my brother went with Luigi; Luigi kept to a Kart, while his counterpart was on the 2-wheeler.

And no, I could not perform Wheelies on the Bike. I tried to, but I couldn't get Waluigi to do one. That's good.

The game's supports the Wii U Pad and the Wiimote. Wiimote controls were configured to work like in MKW, with turning being done by tilting the Wiimote left or right.

Wii U Pad, however, had a little more options. It can also control turning by tilting the pad, but on the touch screen, there is an option to toggle between tilting the pad, and using the left analog stick. This toggle can be activated at any time, even during the race.

Wii U Pad's touchscreen also contains a map of the track.

Mario Circuit is beautiful; the HD really gave this game a graphical boost. Everything stands out, and so there's minor things that can catch your eye really quick, like "Mario Moto" and an ad for a "Donkey Kong Energy Drink".

The gravity gimmick is barely noticeable, and I say that's a good thing; I didn't even realize I was driving upside down on the track until I saw two racers next to me and saw them hovering. XD As long as everything controls smoothly, it's all good for me.

Speaking of other racers, colliding into them upside down does not force you into a dead stop. The anti-gravity wheels spin around the Kart violently and you lose some speed - similar to running over a Banana Peel normally - but no sudden stops.

There were ramps scattered here and there on the track, and like with Mario Kart Wii, if you perform a trick at the end of the ramp, you'll get a slight speed-up. There was also a ramp with colored arrow markings at the end of the lap; you can perform a trick on those too, but you also activate the hang-glider add-ons from MK7 as well.

In my turn with the demo, and all the MK8 demos I saw, there was no Blue Shell in sight. There were the standard Mushrooms and Bananas, but you can also snag a Fire Flower, and fire up to 10 Fireballs. I didn't see that coming; when my brother used it on me, I thought there some track gimmick going on and started to get worried for something to happen. XD

Mario Circuit only had two laps. That may change later.

Coins are scattered across the stage, and are hovering in mid-air. No telling what function they have yet.

Lakitu, as usual, will come in and tell you you're going in reverse, if you are. Unlike other titles, however, if you continue to go in reverse, Lakitu will forcefully snatch you with his fishing rod, spin you around into the correct direction, and let you go.

For the Wii U Pad, "A" button is the gas, "B" is the brake, Right Trigger is to drift, "X" is for stopping the item roulette and for shooting the item.

All in all, a very fun demo. Day 1 buy.

Edited by Doctor Toadley
  • Thumbs Up 3

God, I hope we get some Wario rep this time; it's total shit that we get all kinds of DK and Yoshi rep but no sexy-ass Capt. Syrup or adorable Mona.

Oh, I see Jez already shares my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, Mario Kart 8. I got to play it at Best Buy. If the entire game is as good as the demo was, it's a must-have title.

The game is back to 12-racers per race, and there were 12 racers to choose from: The MK64 gang, Waluigi, Koopa Troopa, Daisy, and Toadette. It may just for the sake of variety for the demo, but not everyone had a Kart, nor did everyone have a Bike. I chose Waluigi, while my brother went with Luigi; Luigi kept to a Kart, while his counterpart was on the 2-wheeler.

And no, I could not perform Wheelies on the Bike. I tried to, but I couldn't get Waluigi to do one. That's good.

The game's supports the Wii U Pad and the Wiimote. Wiimote controls were configured to work like in MKW, with turning being done by tilting the Wiimote left or right.

Wii U Pad, however, had a little more options. It can also control turning by tilting the pad, but on the touch screen, there is an option to toggle between tilting the pad, and using the left analog stick. This toggle can be activated at any time, even during the race.

Wii U Pad's touchscreen also contains a map of the track.

Mario Circuit is beautiful; the HD really gave this game a graphical boost. Everything stands out, and so there's minor things that can catch your eye really quick, like "Mario Moto" and an ad for a "Donkey Kong Energy Drink".

The gravity gimmick is barely noticeable, and I say that's a good thing; I didn't even realize I was driving upside down on the track until I saw two racers next to me and saw them hovering. XD As long as everything controls smoothly, it's all good for me.

Speaking of other racers, colliding into them upside down does not force you into a dead stop. The anti-gravity wheels spin around the Kart violently and you lose some speed - similar to running over a Banana Peel normally - but no sudden stops.

There were ramps scattered here and there on the track, and like with Mario Kart Wii, if you perform a trick at the end of the ramp, you'll get a slight speed-up. There was also a ramp with colored arrow markings at the end of the lap; you can perform a trick on those too, but you also activate the hang-glider add-ons from MK7 as well.

In my turn with the demo, and all the MK8 demos I saw, there was no Blue Shell in sight. There were the standard Mushrooms and Bananas, but you can also snag a Fire Flower, and fire up to 10 Fireballs. I didn't see that coming; when my brother used it on me, I thought there some track gimmick going on and started to get worried for something to happen. XD

Mario Circuit only had two laps. That may change later.

Coins are scattered across the stage, and are hovering in mid-air. No telling what function they have yet.

Lakitu, as usual, will come in and tell you you're going in reverse, if you are. Unlike other titles, however, if you continue to go in reverse, Lakitu will forcefully snatch you with his fishing rod, spin you around into the correct direction, and let you go.

For the Wii U Pad, "A" button is the gas, "B" is the brake, Right Trigger is to drift, "X" is for stopping the item roulette and for shooting the item.

All in all, a very fun demo. Day 1 buy.

All this sounds great news to me. Ill try and play the demo tomorrow. Do you know how long they will keep the demo's up and running?

I went to Best Buy, and I didn't play it, but what I saw looked very, very good. I haven't been this excited for a Mario Kart game in a while, and I'll be happy to get it when it comes out.

Also, from what I saw, It looked like Lakitu was faster at picking you up from the water than in previous titles, but I'm not completely sure.

God, I hope we get some Wario rep this time; it's total shit that we get all kinds of DK and Yoshi rep but no sexy-ass Capt. Syrup or adorable Mona.

Oh, I see Jez already shares my opinion.

Yeah that's the the one thing that the Mario series needs more of, characters appearing from the Paper Mario, Mario Luigi, Warioware and their other spin-off and side games.

I'd would kill to see Mona, Dixie Kong, Fawful, Lord Crump, Professor E. Gadd and various others finally make it to one of the Mario party, sports and racing games.

Hey, if I remember correctly, Todette originally came from Paper Mario 2 if memory serves.

Toadette debuted in Double Dash, in 2003. TTYD came out in 2004.

You know who should be a playable racer? Tatanga. Reconfigure his spaceship into a Kart (Hey! Giving him anti-gravity tires fits into his motif and this game! Win win.) and I'll be content.

All this sounds great news to me. Ill try and play the demo tomorrow. Do you know how long they will keep the demo's up and running?

The Nintendo experience is up for just two days - today, which is done, and Saturday.

Edited by Doctor Toadley

Oh, Double Dash came before Thousand Year Door?

Now anyone noticed that you recover from hits a lot more faster now, also that the Lakitu aids you out of pits hell of a lot faster too.

One small detail I liked - Peach's hair will fall down.. or up when upside down on the gravity.

ALSO

SIXTY FRAMES PER A SECOND CONFIRMED. Sweet.

• Thumbs Up 3

The Nintendo experience is up for just two days - today, which is done, and Saturday.

If they kept it going for 2-4 weeks, then brought it to select Target stores, then KMarts and/or Walmarts, so many people would buy Wii U's. It's a tremendous opportunity to get the word out, and they should (nay, they must) do it again this Fall.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I didn't see the Bike drivers doing any wheelies when I was there. I could have sworn that the Bikes can now do a level 2 boost as well. So, it seems more like the bikes are just another custom part, which is fine with me. I really liked the "build your own kart" thing in 7.

Edited by Super Mario

I remember seeing a wheelie during one of the gameplay videos.  My current theory is that it's now just an extra effect during mini-turbos.

Another confirmation

You will be able to record via "Mario Kart TV" and share with others (Miiverse for example).

I feel like Mario Kart is going the extra step with communities from 7, but adding Mii Verse to it will be huge. I also hope Nintendo confirms Downloadable content for this...

I feel like Mario Kart is going the extra step with communities from 7, but adding Mii Verse to it will be huge. I also hope Nintendo confirms Downloadable content for this...

I feel like we'll actually get DLC compared to you know what game.

• Thumbs Up 1