Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Because they've never been playable?

... Did anyone ask for them though? You'd think one of the fan favorites would be a higher priority than all seven of them. Kart 7 had worse filler than that, but still.

• Thumbs Up 1

Filler? But they all look visually unique from one another. 

But again, I ask, did anyone want all seven? Wouldn't it have been better to have a smaller number, and give that slot to another character like Pauline, Bowser Jr, or Dry Bones? Or Birdo?

One of them, sure, but all seven seems really excessive to me.

A lot of people wanted the Kooplings to return for years. Though I do feel like they've been using them a lot since NSMBWii

I actually want the Koopalings to show up outside of a 2D Mario game, this is the closest we have gotten to anything like that. 

News just in. [Get your newsreader voice on]

Nintendo wanted to include just one Koopaling in the roster, then extended that to two when realising that trying to decide would be a big task. Eventually that extended to three when they still hadn't decided. Then four, then five, and before long, they just gave up and included all seven. Now they just have to arrange the other characters - recurring characters, I might add - into neatly sized downloadable content.

Um... Yeah...

I'm sure the decision to use all seven was made due to the popularity of all of them being quite high, and if one got in, fans of the others would be questioning why that koopa got in instead of this one. Then a big flame war woud have erupted, Nintendo would then have to include the others because it got so bad, and then the same people asking for the characters would moan at Nintendo for including the rest in DLC and...

Just mark my word. This way's better.

Except for those who don't like the Koopalings.

Okay. That's enough for one day.

The Koopalings are becoming regulars once again thanks to the New SMB series, so they're getting focus. It's probably the same reason Petey Piranha and King Boo were in Double Dash - Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion were in recent memory and they were liked.

The Koopalings are like an "all or nothing" package deal. You can't prioritize Ludwig or Larry over Roy and the rest, especially since their boss order changes up between game installments - there's no single Koopaling that supersedes the others.

I guess I'm just biased because they look really dumb. Whatever, I got Rosalina so I'm satisfied.

I do still think there could be another row, but another possibility is DLC, since they are planning a year long advertising push, additional tracks, characters, missions, or tournaments are possible to keep up the interest, and we do only get one per a console

The idea of charging for additional tracks kind of annoys the shit out of me, but more characters and Karts are fine, I guess. As long as they come in bundles or something.

Honestly I would've been happier if they just tried lumping all of the Koopalings in one kart/bike together. It would've turned out horribly, but we didn't need seven slots just to get all of them in

As long as it's reasonably priced and actually made after the game (not planned out before to scum more money from the consumer), I'll go for DLC of any kind really. Karts, characters, tracks, you name it. Nintendo games need more good DLC anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As long as it's reasonably priced and actually made after the game (not planned out before to scum more money from the consumer), I'll go for DLC of any kind really. Karts, characters, tracks, you name it. Nintendo games need more good DLC anyway. 

Actualy, they did do it the right way with mario golf, but the release got delayed so most of the dlc was finished early

More tracks as DLC is only really annoying if you get locked out of them online, but they could just make it so that you can join someone's game to play them, but have to pay to play by yourself or select it if you're the match host. More content is always fine by me, and I'll pay if it's substantial.

Also, I thought about it a bit, and - 

• Dry Bones
  • Pauline
  • Fawful
  • Ashley
  • Funky
  • Diddy
  • Bowser Jr

Bam, seven character slots. There's no way anyone can tell me with a straight face they'd want to turn all of those down in favor of the Koopalings. 

Honestly I would've been happier if they just tried lumping all of the Koopalings in one kart/bike together. It would've turned out horribly, but we didn't need seven slots just to get all of them in

Mario and Sonic should have prepared people for this. Out of nine unlockable Mario costumes, seven were Koopaling costumes. They love to do this. 

So it appears Mario Kart 8 finally has a pre-order bonus for the US! And it's... a little obscure!

Pre-order from Best Buy and get $10 Gas Cash

While supplies last. Offer available for physical game (SKU 8400089) only. In-store pre-order and purchase: code will be printed out on your store receipt at time of game pickup. Online pre-order and purchase: code will be e-mailed within 24 hours of street date. Enter this code at www.revupyourkart.com/redeem to get your Gas Cash, which can be redeemed at any gas station in the United States that accepts MasterCard.

That's right, you can use your purchase of a game featuring digital vehicles to fuel your real-life vehicle that you probably used to drive to the store to buy the game in the first place! Huzzah?

Actualy, they did do it the right way with mario golf, but the release got delayed so most of the dlc was finished early

The only reason I'm forgiving that season pass bullshit is because the MSRP of the game itself was lowered to accomodate. 

More tracks as DLC is only really annoying if you get locked out of them online, but they could just make it so that you can join someone's game to play them, but have to pay to play by yourself or select it if you're the match host. More content is always fine by me, and I'll pay if it's substantial.

Also, I thought about it a bit, and - 

• Dry Bones
  • Pauline
  • Fawful
  • Ashley
  • Funky
  • Diddy
  • Bowser Jr

Bam, seven character slots. There's no way anyone can tell me with a straight face they'd want to turn all of those down in favor of the Koopalings. 

or if you want to go full on non-spin-off replace pauline and fawful with DKJr, and ROB, and tada

So it appears Mario Kart 8 finally has a pre-order bonus for the US! And it's... a little obscure!

Pre-order from Best Buy and get $10 Gas Cash

That's right, you can use your purchase of a game featuring digital vehicles to fuel your real-life vehicle that you probably used to drive to the store to buy the game in the first place! Huzzah?

Again ill say it Europe gets the better stuff.

Again ill say it Europe gets the better stuff.

well thats Best Buy, we still dont know what or if Gamestop is getting anything(which is where I preordered from since its the closest and most convient place for me... and hastings wasnt doing preorders

Mario Golf allows you to play the DLC courses online, so if Nintendo made DLC, I'm sure they'd be reasonable enough.

Bare in mind that Nintendo isn't exactly keen on RPG characters, likely cause of copyright stuff. I don't think Wario Ware characters could be used either, otherwise we would've seen a character from that series in a Mario Spin-off already.

Granted still, more females would be welcomed, I'm pretty sure they could still use Pauline and Dixie Kong is very high demand, a Sprixie from 3D World is also possible. Also whatever the heck gender Birdo is supposed to be, Nintendo loves joking around with Birdo.

Captain Syrup is another possibility, I mean the Wario Land series should be safe unlike Wario Ware.

Dude, that's Smash Bros, I'm talking about the Mario spin-off games.

They can put in just about any character they want in Smash without worrying about restrictions too much, that is is supposed to be about all of Nintendo's library, but when it comes to Mario games, they are more strict with what characters they want in those games.

We would've been seen folks like Fawful and Wario Ware characters in the Mario sports games a LONG time ago if they were allowed to use them.

Shoot, they had their chance to have a Wario Ware character in Mario Kart GP 2 since they had a Diamond City track, but they missed their chance again, hell their are no references to Wario Ware at all in that track, no character cameos or anything crazy at all relating to it. Oddly enough through, they had a statue of E. Gadd in the track, but he has no relation to Wario Ware nor Diamond city in the least.

I know this is a few pages ago, but explain to me why Nintendo "wouldn't be allowed" to use WarioWare characters in Mario spinoffs. These spinoffs have enough Kongs and Kremlings to go around, nothing should be stopping them from using Mona, Jimmy T or Ashley.

I know this is a few pages ago, but explain to me why Nintendo "wouldn't be allowed" to use WarioWare characters in Mario spinoffs. These spinoffs have enough Kongs and Kremlings to go around, nothing should be stopping them from using Mona, Jimmy T or Ashley.

They probably knew nobody would buy the Koopaling DLC bundle because nobody cares about them. Cue DLC for characters people actually want. 

Well, lookie what got out

the character select from the demo!

the character select from the demo!

http://puu.sh/8pbDU.png

8pbDU.png

There is obviously waymore than enough room for 1 or 3 more rows, so I wouldnt be surprised if we got 9-15 more characters(including the known ? marks)

It'll be interesting to see what they have in store

It's clear that this isn't the final character select screen. The fact that it foregoes a random character option is telling enough.

There's a big chance that MK8's character selection is a lot bigger and I wouldn't be surprised if they're holding off on some characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's clear that this isn't the final character select screen. The fact that it foregoes a random character option is telling enough.

There's a big chance that MK8's character selection is a lot bigger and I wouldn't be surprised if they're holding off on some characters.

I agree completely, specialy since we still need a pre-release direct with both new modes(including battle and MKTV), and they definately want more characters for increased hype