Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

I still grasp to find the point of the existance of the babies and the "metal" characters.

And now that I think about it... there's no Bowser Jr this time around blink.png

Metal Mario: Mia Mama...(Smash Bros 64)

Pink Gold Peach: She has no reason to exist...not even a prior appearance unlike Metal and Gold Mario.

post-30744-not-like-this-not-like-this-g

I still think the biggest offender is the Koopalings hogging up 

seven whole spots. They really should have been a DLC bundle.

Be careful what you wish for Dissy because ya just might get it tongue.png.

No but seriously as long as they're reasonably priced and released in packs (i.e. not individually) I don't personally mind character packs. The ideal solution would be DLC packs containing tracks AND karts though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

but DLC people, D. L. C!

That's kind of what makes this whole thing really scummy and annoying.

Locking away series regulars that people already like in exchange for made up characters and a series of roster slot fodder is not cool, especially if they turn around and make us pay for them.

I still grasp to find the point of the existance of the babies and the "metal" characters.

And now that I think about it... there's no Bowser Jr this time around blink.png

Kids like the babies and the metals allow you to sort of play characters in a different weight class.

That's kind of what makes this whole thing really scummy and annoying.

Locking away series regulars that people already like in exchange for made up characters and a series of roster slot fodder is not cool, especially if they turn around and make us pay for them.

Who's not roster fodder compared not the Koopalings?

Series regulars? Aside from Bowser Jr and Diddy Kong, who else could possibly qualify for that spot? 

I mean, honestly, I understand that the roster is underwhelming, but when has the Mario Kart cast ever been anything to aspire to? You could add RPG characters, I guess, but they're usually just one-offs. Like Queen Bee. Usually, since Double Dash, all you got were Bowser's minions and baby forms to fluff things out.

Just, yes, yes, I understand that it could be better, but honestly the Koopalings are the most over-due addition here, and are hardly the greatest offense compared to yet another bloody baby.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh don't get me wrong, the babies are completely stupid as well, and Gold Pink Peach stealing a slot that could have gone to Diddy is almost insulting, but at least those characters aren't hogging up nearly a third of the roster like the Koopalings are.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't like DLC either, but honestly, Mario Kart's roster has never been very good. I'd rather them focus on the track designs and mechanics than the roster.

• Thumbs Up 1

A smaller but better and more varied roster is preferable to a larger but poorer one.

Quality over quantity. I'm perfectly accepting of DLC, but I also expect a good in-game roster to start with.

On a side note who's going to host the inevitable SSMB Mario 8 tournoment? I nominate Brad

Oh don't get me wrong, the babies are completely stupid as well, and Gold Pink Peach stealing a slot that could have gone to Diddy is almost insulting, but at least those characters aren't hogging up nearly a third of the roster like the Koopalings are.

But you never liked the Koopalings so how are you to say this entire first slot is bad when they've got a big fanbase behind their inclusion? 

But you never liked the Koopalings so how are you to say this entire first slot is bad when they've got a big fanbase behind their inclusion?

Because nearly an entire third of the roster is dedicated to them? Add in the babies and Metal clones and that's literally half the roster. That's ridiculous no matter how you look at it.

Because nearly an entire third of the roster is dedicated to them? Add in the babies and Metal clones and that's literally half the roster. That's ridiculous no matter how you look at it.

They are varied and unique looking characters, even if you don't like them. The babies and the metal clones are one thing, but the Koopalings are far from carbon copies of one another.

They are varied and unique looking characters, even if you don't like them. The babies and the metal clones are one thing, but the Koopalings are far from carbon copies of one another.

This is ridiculous - they're about as varied and unique as the seven Gokus you get in every DBZ game. There's a reason why they're all referred to under the blanket term "Koopalings" rather than as individual characters.

Discoid is right, it is super scummy if that's what their plan is with DLC characters. "Let's fill the base game up with lolcharacters and clones, so the sad saps buy more interesting and varied characters"!

Seriously, fuck this way of thinking, they're tarnishing an otherwise, perfect game with a solid advertising campaign and a Free game on launch, so if you don't even want MK8 that much, just buy it and download another game, and get a free game either way. 

Win Win.

• Thumbs Up 2

Discoid is right, it is super scummy if that's what their plan is with DLC characters. "Let's fill the base game up with lolcharacters and clones, so the sad saps buy more interesting and varied characters"!

Seriously, fuck this way of thinking, they're tarnishing an otherwise, perfect game with a solid advertising campaign and a Free game on launch, so if you don't even want MK8 that much, just buy it and download another game, and get a free game either way. 

Win Win.

I think you lost me at the second half. Do you mean that the advertising campaign is a bad way of thinking altogether? 

This is ridiculous - they're about as varied and unique as the seven Gokus you get in every DBZ game. There's a reason why they're all referred to under the blanket term "Koopalings" rather than as individual characters.

That's because they've all been together since the early NES days, you can't just put one and not get the others. You've been told this before. They are a one package deal with a fanbase that likes them, and if any were left out there'd be complaining about that too; and they'd be in greater numbers than you for sure. 

And I can pull this crap too by saying they are all visually unique counterparts with their own mannerisms body types, facial designs, and voices. A majority is on my side though. 

Though I still agree the babies and the clones are scummy stupid additions for this otherwise solid line up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd honestly trade Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach for characters like Wiggler and Honey Queen, if only because they already appeared in Mario Kart 7. Other past characters like Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, Dry Bones, Birdo, and King Boo would also be cool to see, although I can't see myself paying for them as DLC.

At least they didn't forget Waluigi this time...

Let me just say that I'm actually quite ecstatic that we finally got an item that can counter the blue shell now. Something like this really should've been in MKWii.

You can counter Blue Shells in MKWii with a Mushroom by timing your boost just before the shell descends upon you.

... well yeah, it's not an easy get-out-of-jail card since you can only get Mushrooms in 2nd at best, but if you can carry yourself to a good lead in 1st you have somewhat of a fighting chance against the blue Satan (that is, if a POW or Lightning Shock doesn't come up first tongue.png).

I've been surprised by this direct this morning too. Really enjoyed seeing more about the game in general, especially the Time Trial comparison bit, which made me feel relieved seeing they made some effort to balance the vehicles and make both Karts and Bikes usable. It looks like an improvement comparing to MKWii at the very least (never played MK7 apart from a demo).

I still don't know about Baby Rosalina and P.G. Peach though. Baby Rosalina in particular is weird since Rosalina's my go-to heavy main in MKWii and all. And Peach... well... yeah.

After following this thread for awhile, and, ironically enough, witness my Wii today randomly decide to stop reading any discs whatsoever, I guess I'm joining the Wii U squad by getting that MK8 bundle May 30. MK8 and a free downloadable game out of 10, plus X later on... yeah, it looks like a pretty nice package overall!

I think you lost me at the second half. Do you mean that the advertising campaign is a bad way of thinking altogether? 

No, the campaign is BRILLIANT, 2 games guaranteed on purchase, so many buying options and bundles to choose from etc.

What's bad is if they exploit us by selling more varied characters as DLC instead of say, the Koopalings being a DLC pack named "Bowser's Minions!" I just don't agree with filling the finished product with so many similar characters, and possibly offering much better characters as the DLC instead of them being included from the start.

No, the campaign is BRILLIANT, 2 games guaranteed on purchase, so many buying options and bundles to choose from etc.

What's bad is if they exploit us by selling more varied characters as DLC instead of say, the Koopalings being a DLC pack named "Bowser's Minions!" I just don't agree with filling the finished product with so many similar characters, and possibly offering much better characters as the DLC instead of them being included from the start.

Ah, now I get your point. 

I still disagree, but I understand what you're saying now. 

Was it even confirmed that there would be DLC to this game?

No, it's a mass of assumptions because Nintendo wants to have a continuous marketing campaign over this game, so DLC is all we thought for keeping this game relevant.

Mario Kart is always relevant, when I have friends come over the first thing I do is crack out Mario Kart, even as far back as 4 player MK64.

• Thumbs Up 1