Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Only character I miss is Diddy, otherwise the roster isn't bad at all. Yeah yeah, babies or whatever the hell. I don't really care myself, because I actually like the Koopalings, and of course Donkey Kong is still in the game.

Mario Kart is always relevant, when I have friends come over the first thing I do is crack out Mario Kart, even as far back as 4 player MK64.

Well, I guess what I mean by relevance is for the people who are still on the fence about buying the game. Or parents who want to get gifts for their kids and haven't yet. Stuff like that.

Though for all we know, this campaign may be for the Wii U more than the game. (Lost cause for sure.)

The roster could use some balancing up, yes. After all, going by weights, there are thirteen lightweights, seven medium, and nine heavyweights.

Now, I don't mind that, since I use mostly lightweights anyway, but after having near perfect balance bar two games [MKDD and MK7] I can't see why it couldn't have been done here. ten each for light and heavy weights with nine for medium. But then that still leaves a problem of who to use. Knock all the Koopalings out of the equation and that roster falls to 10-5-7. Rid Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach from it and you have 9-5-6. Add both Bowser Jr and Diddy Kong and it rises to 9-7-6.

Now then, who would fill the rest?

Birdo for a start, with E-Gadd filling in the last medium slot. Dry Bones could rest in the last small slot, and since I'm not very upkeep on Mario characters, I can't think of anyone besides King Boo to go in the heavy slots. But the point still stands. A more balanced roster could have been made if the Koopalings weren't present.

Unless you really want to try it, of course.

One thing that seems to bother me is the fact that you can't have up to 5 players in local multiplayer. Sonic and all stars racing transformed gave you this option so why can't this game? I guess that the best reason I can think of is that they would think using the gamepads screen would be unfair idk

Actually, even if it goes by weight, won't the Kart customization factor into balancing weight issues out? Or are they purely cosmetic choices on stats, and have nothing to do with a characters weight?

I.E - Metal Frame Kart (Classic Kart) lightweight, Large ATV with Monster truck wheels as a Heavyweight?

Generally speaking you could customize your ride in such a way that your character is heavier, to the extent that a Medium racer could be close to a heavy weight race.

A smaller but better and more varied roster is preferable to a larger but poorer one.

Quality over quantity. I'm perfectly accepting of DLC, but I also expect a good in-game roster to start with.

I don't really think so in this case.  When it boils down to it with a Mario Kart roster, each character is essentially the same.  They look different and have very small nuances that a lot of people wouldn't even really notice barring between the really obvious weight class differences but apart from that each character at its core is the same.  If it were, say, Smash Bros I'd agree wholly with you as each character is designed to play distinctly different from each other.  I'd say the only exception to this was in Double Dash where pairs of characters had their own special items.  So honestly if they all play the same anyway I'd rather have more.

Be careful what you wish for Dissy because ya just might get it tongue.png.

No but seriously as long as they're reasonably priced and released in packs (i.e. not individually) I don't personally mind character packs. The ideal solution would be DLC packs containing tracks AND karts though. 

Series regulars? Aside from Bowser Jr and Diddy Kong, who else could possibly qualify for that spot? 

I mean, honestly, I understand that the roster is underwhelming, but when has the Mario Kart cast ever been anything to aspire to? You could add RPG characters, I guess, but they're usually just one-offs. Like Queen Bee. Usually, since Double Dash, all you got were Bowser's minions and baby forms to fluff things out.

Just, yes, yes, I understand that it could be better, but honestly the Koopalings are the most over-due addition here, and are hardly the greatest offense compared to yet another bloody baby.

Honestly you guys are overreacting a tad, Fact is that even if you remove the Babies and metal, you still have the largest roster of unique characters(yes I include the koopalings) of 22 characters including ALL the roster mains and iconics, and then you got 7 albeit clone characters you have the biggest roster yet

Now if they Do DLC,  it wont be coming till at least july if not august, and if characters only will more than likely have them in groups of 4-7 and make the ALREADY Largest roster yet even larger, sure they are characters that could have been included, but for the most part the Roster already has all the NEEDED characters, and these are just icing on the cake

I didnt see anyone complaining over MK64 only having eight characters, and this game is a much superior product too, with more than 4 times the way to adjust how you play and go, and honestly you guys are overreacting a tad

And on a final note, when has Nintendo been unfair or abused DLC? on the Wii-u the only major game that had dlc was Pikmin, and it was FREE, and in regards to the 3DS, with Mario Golf, only reason the dlc is out at release is because a 5 month release delay, and not only is it decently priced, but adds essentialy twice the length to a game that is already the largest Mario golf yet.  When Nintendo does do DLC they either make it free, or more than worth your money, and its only near release if there are other circumstnaces at play

• Thumbs Up 1

So yeah, the roster is horrible. But the game still looks amazing, that's not going to change. The tracks are excellent, and the returning tracks have been changed so significantly its great. I'm really liking how this looks.

I can't believe they ACTUALLY made Baby Rosalina, though. Ugh. Bowser Jr. being dropped from the roster does not surprise me at all, though.

Not sure why I'm getting upset over this, I only ever use Peach and Mario anyway?

Exactly what I was thinking myself. Can't get upset since my only characters have always been Koopa and Donkey Kong. With the Koopalings introduced I might actually experiment.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'll experiment around as I usually do, though it is disappointing Diddy Kong isn't in this, he's my primary main in Double Dash (nothing to do with his item, it sucks, I just like Diddy Kong).

I'll end up sticking to Yoshi, no big deal, and if they add DLC characters I'll see who they end up adding to the roster and pick and choose who I'd like. The initial roster is slightly disappointing, but its still quite varied and has all the main regulars anyway except Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong (and people constantly complained about Donkey Kong characters getting into Mario Kart, so that's likely why they dropped Diddy and Funky... at least for the base roster).

Its frustrating they added Baby Rosalina and Gold Peach... but as a whole, its not a huge deal. The Koopalings I think are a great choice to the roster, though.

Hmmm, well word has it according to IGN that Nintendo Said that there are even more new characters that we hadnt heard about yet(note as in non-revealed, not nessecarily new to the series)

Perhaps there will actualy be true hidden characters for the roster this time

Hmmm, well word has it according to IGN that Nintendo Said that there are even more new characters that we hadnt heard about yet(note as in non-revealed, not nessecarily new to the series)

Perhaps there will actualy be true hidden characters for the roster this time

If that's the case, we've got a new row. I'm going to hold my breath on that, though. Still, I'm fine with the roster, the last few characters were slightly disappointing though.

How about Baby Donkey Kong, Baby Wario, and Baby Bowser?  Unlike Baby Daisy/Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach, they're actually canon!

How about Baby Donkey Kong, Baby Wario, and Baby Bowser?  Unlike Baby Daisy/Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach, they're actually canon!

Replace Baby DK with DKJr and I can roll with that

So basically, as of right now, the general consensus is that Mario Kart 8 is like a perfect, platinum trophy which shines brightly atop a wonderfully constructed base and shelf.

screen-shot-2012-07-12-at-19-36-44.png

(Let's just pretend this is platinum and not gold)

But then you notice this small blemish (the subpar roster) on it that, while at first, doesn't bother you that much, the longer you look at it, the more it begins to annoy you. But it's not long before you're promptly back at being amazed at the splendid shine of the trophy again. 

• Thumbs Up 8

I think I'll be doing some experiment with characters as well. However, my mains will be Luigi, Yoshi and Ludwig.

Mario, Yoshi and Waluigi are my mains, but I'll probably try some of the Koopalings too just out of curiosity. I don't think these are all the characters we'll get in the game. Personally, I hope ROB returns.

I'm a bit surprised that nothing exclusively from SMBU or 3D World has been shown yet. As all-encompassing as the spinoffs have been up to this point, MK8 is taking an oddly conservative approach.

If there are indeed more characters to be unlocked, I'm hoping Nabbit and the Sprixie Princess leader are among them. If not, then at least show up in the crowd somewhere.

Just noticed Featherweight and Cruiserweight have been done away with. Also, Yoshi is Middleweight like he was in DD and Wii again. As are Peach and Daisy.

So basically, as of right now, the general consensus is that Mario Kart 8 is like a perfect, platinum trophy which shines brightly atop a wonderfully constructed base and shelf.

screen-shot-2012-07-12-at-19-36-44.png

(Let's just pretend this is platinum and not gold)

But then you notice this small blemish (the subpar roster) on it that, while at first, doesn't bother you that much, the longer you look at it, the more it begins to annoy you. But it's not long before you're promptly back at being amazed at the splendid shine of the trophy again. 

This, exactly.

Unless they have more characters in the roster to unlock (doubt it), this is basically what it is. The roster isn't THAT bad, though, only slightly subpar. The roster itself is huge, they just added some stupid additions. I'd have rather gotten back crappy generic characters over yet another Baby character and Gold Peach.

I don't really think so in this case.  When it boils down to it with a Mario Kart roster, each character is essentially the same.  They look different and have very small nuances that a lot of people wouldn't even really notice barring between the really obvious weight class differences but apart from that each character at its core is the same.  If it were, say, Smash Bros I'd agree wholly with you as each character is designed to play distinctly different from each other.  I'd say the only exception to this was in Double Dash where pairs of characters had their own special items.  So honestly if they all play the same anyway I'd rather have more.

Eh, I disagree, but I suppose I'll leave it at that.

I'm not outraged or anything (I was going to main Rosalina anyway), it just annoys me. Whatever. At least the game mechanics look great.

http://www.gamesradar.com/9-changes-make-mario-kart-8-most-demanding-years/

I found a really good preview article. Has some good details in it.

MK8’s AI drivers are thankfully a far, far cry from the weapon-spamming loons of Double Dash and MKWii. They fight hard for racing positions, and force you to do the same, meaning that this MK is definitely built around good driving just as much as smart weapon use. 

Mario Kart 8 has no truck with that kind of nonsense. It seems to be eroding the franchise’s usual system of saving the better weapons (red shells, triple-mushrooms, lightning, etc.) for crap drivers. there is still a degree of scaling going on, the full spectrum of tools and power-ups is now spread much more equally throughout the grid, making top-ranking play more tense and reducing the safety net for those trailing. It’s all much more democratic, and entirely changes the flow of the racing.
  • Thumbs Up 4