Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

That's an unbelievable false equivalency and you know it. ._.

I'm not particularly interested in arguing the merits of the Koopalings any further, but to suggest that they're anywhere near as worthwhile as the characters you listed is beyond silly.

It's really not. Both are groups of 7 with individual characters in them. The Koopalings are recurring characters and are Bowser's most important minions. They're no less individual than the characters I mentioned.

I can agree on the Metals and slightly on the babies (But kids seem to love them. When I told my sister Baby Rosalina was in MK8, she got really excited), though.

It's really not. Both are groups of 7 with individual characters in them. The Koopalings are recurring characters and are Bowser's most important minions. They're no less individual than the characters I mentioned.

I can agree on the Metals and slightly on the babies (But kids seem to love them. When I told my sister Baby Rosalina was in MK8, she got really excited), though.

Are you serious? While their merits as individual characters may be relevant to arguing in favor of their inclusion in the roster to begin with, to suggest that this somehow makes them equivalent in importance to the main characters is absurd.

Even then, I'd argue with your claim that they're individuals at all. As has been pointed out in this thread before, they've never once appeared as anything other than a single large group of bosses, and have never served any purpose beyond that either as a group or as individuals. That "you can't have one without having all of them" is evidence contrary to the point that they're individuals at all - a single Koopaling is merely 1/7 of a whole, and nothing more.

They are separate characters with individual designs, so in that sense, the one most important for a game like this, yes, they are just as individualistic as the others. They aren't going to be referred to as the Koopalings in game, they'll be called by their names.

So why does them merely being the Koopalings matter?

(But kids seem to love them. When I told my sister Baby Rosalina was in MK8, she got really excited)

Interesting.  Maybe Nintendo put more thought into this than we're giving them credit for.  It's worth remembering that people like us who dissect every decision on message boards are not the sole target audience.

• Thumbs Up 1

So in a hypothetical All Stars Racing sequel, Zeena is just as deserving of a spot in the roster as Amy purely on the basis that she has a unique design and personality? It'd be like having the Deadly Six hogging up six spots of the roster that could have gone to other, more unique characters. The group, like the Koopalings, is simply too large and specific to merit taking spots that could have gone to more balanced and varied characters (in MK8's case, Diddy, Birdo, and the vast array of characters that could have been taken from the RPGs).

They're the perfect candidates for a DLC bundle because, as noted before, they have to come together. Maybe they don't plan to sell DLC at all, but I still feel like they're going to make us pay for the more popular characters. This is just speculation though, of course.

I saw this comment on YouTube that actually brought up quite an interesting point regarding Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach.  Just sort of highlights how broad the audience for this game will be.  Certainly won't just be us vocal teenage/young adult gamer types, but people of all ages.  I guess that's part of the beauty of the series in general:

Little girls would absolutely adore Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina. The addition baffled me until someone told me that his daughters were jumping up and down on the couch when they were revealed. That's enough reason, IMO, for them to be in this game.
  • Thumbs Up 7

So in a hypothetical All Stars Racing sequel, Zeena is just as deserving of a spot in the roster as Amy purely on the basis that she has a unique design and personality? It'd be like having the Deadly Six hogging up six spots of the roster that could have gone to other, more unique characters. The group, like the Koopalings, is simply too large and specific to merit taking spots that could have gone to more balanced and varied characters (in MK8's case, Diddy, Birdo, and the vast array of characters that could have been taken from the RPGs).

They're the perfect candidates for a DLC bundle because, as noted before, they have to come together. Maybe they don't plan to sell DLC at all, but I still feel like they're going to make us pay for the more popular characters. This is just speculation though, of course.

I would somewhat agree with this arguement IF it weren't for the fact that they've been around for 25 years in over a dozen games, for that matter they have been in more main mario games than wario

I saw this comment on YouTube that actually brought up quite an interesting point regarding Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach.  Just sort of highlights how broad the audience for this game will be.  Certainly won't just be us vocal teenage/young adult gamer types, but people of all ages.  I guess that's part of the beauty of the series in general:

Thats a good point, perhaps their marketing showed them as a good catch point, they needed characters to apply to all demographics, and it needs to sell a ton to children AND to gamers, so they need child bait in the main game, and can do fan service via Unlockables which they know will delight the more hardcore gamer base(or well priced DLC)

As long as the main cast is in, then Zeena should be allowed to get. Which they are in MK8. However the Koopalings are more important to Mario than the Deadly Six are to Sonic. And they are also more important than Diddy and Birdo and the RPG characters (And Waluigi and Daisy for that matter). And they are varied. They are all Koopas, but their designs are different enough.

If you don't want them in because you don't like them, that's fine. I'd not want the D6 for the same reason.

Think a good strategy for the babies would have been to make two count as one character. For example, Baby Mario & Baby Luigi; Baby Mario drives, Baby Luigi holds and uses the items. Something similar for Baby Peach and Baby Daisy. Maybe throw a Luma in with Baby Rosalina.

Low quality but proof of 64 Karts returning!

3PvmOu1.png

XiZnbZu.png

DWT3unk.png

XSM94BM.png

Dat retro engine and exhaust pipe.

• Thumbs Up 7

Low quality but proof of 64 Karts returning!

3PvmOu1.png

XiZnbZu.png

DWT3unk.png

XSM94BM.png

Dat retro engine and exhaust pipe.

Sigh, I love those old Karts, you know we should totaly do a SSMB Tourney, Retro Carts, Super Mario Kart Characters only, classic items/Blue Shell only, now that would be oldschool :P

I hope the classic karts aren't restricted by character weight, Bowser, DK and Wario used them just fine in 64...

The balloons seem to use the older version of the MK logo, too.

Yeah, shame the battle arena's aren't there to accompany the retro throw back.

Pretty sure, like 98% sure the retro karts can be used in races/grand prix too, pretty sure I seen them in the Direct yesterday.

Sigh, I love those old Karts, you know we should totaly do a SSMB Tourney, Retro Carts, Super Mario Kart Characters only, classic items/Blue Shell only, now that would be oldschool :P

You mean Mario Kart 64 characters(Wario man)

I hope the classic karts aren't restricted by character weight, Bowser, DK and Wario used them just fine in 64...

The classic karts were in MK7 and they weren't restricted by weight class so why would they be now?

SMK characters only wouldn't really work, would it? MK8 has 12 racers out at the same time, I think, and SMK only had eight characters, seven of which are in 8, unless you count DK as DK Jr.

Finally caught up on all the new MK8 news as I missed the Direct yesterday... and wowzers, 30th May needs to get here soon. Like, powered by a Golden Dash Mushroom soon.

The new Bowser's Castle track looks ace and I'm loving the concept of racing around a space station for the new Rainbow Road, although I think I need to see more of it before I make a verdict on its actual track design. Really pleased to see Yoshi Valley 64 back too in all its labyrinthine glory, Wario Stadium DS looks like it's had a pretty nice overhaul, so does Sherbet Land GC... heck, every stage in this game looks amazing! And holy shamoly, Mount Wario. That track looks downright awesome - if only you could have the Sonic characters skiing or snowboarding down it along the way for you to mow down with your kart :P

As for the new characters... not surprised at all to see Mii returning, but the other two... ehhhhh. Baby Rosalina I'll allow because she's based on arguably my favourite Mario character in recent memory, and even if it is a bit derivative, it's still a brand new character. Pink Gold Peach on the other hand is just plain silly, especially as Metal Mario was pushing it already. I'd rather have had Gold Mario or Silver Luigi from NSMB2 show up, at least they have some precedent. But whatever, I'm never going to play as her anyway so it doesn't really bother me, and she's there for those who want a metallic shiny princess to race as.

I really really wasn't expecting the free game promotion though. Buy Mario Kart 8, get another Wii U game free! That's one heck of a deal if ever I heard one, particularly if you're buying one of the crazy bundles Nintendo are selling already. I think I'll choose The Wonderful 101 as my freebie - I did own the disc version previously but I traded it in to make room for other games, but it's a really excellent title so I don't want to pass up the opportunity to get it again for free. The other games I've either already got or aren't that interested in, but for newcomers to the system, those are some great options to choose from.

• Thumbs Up 1

One last thing about the roster actually that wasn't really brought to attention (that actually does rather bother me) is the imbalance of character weights.  There are 13 lightweights, 9 heavyweights and only 7 middleweights (for reference MK Wii had 8 middleweights).  If there are DLC character I hope they at least serve to balance this out.

SMK characters only wouldn't really work, would it? MK8 has 12 racers out at the same time, I think, and SMK only had eight characters, seven of which are in 8, unless you count DK as DK Jr.

You Can probably set it to only have 8 racers...the races in past online modes would only ever have however many people actually joined the race.

So yeah, this happened; to the surprise of no one. 

Any Youtube upload of MKTV videos are going to be quickly claimed by Nintendo for Content ID.

Yeah, it makes sense that all MKTV videos should be content ID'd, you're not really adding anything that isn't Nintendo, so it makes sense for them to have it. Hopefully this means they can take it easy with commentary videos in the future.

Wait I'm confused, does this mean that every MKTV video will be taken down quickly or something else? If it's actually the first one that's incredibly stupid. 

Wait I'm confused, does this mean that every MKTV video will be taken down quickly or something else? If it's actually the first one that's incredibly stupid. 

It means it can't be monetized I think.

No, it means Nintendo makes money off every ad supported video that uses MKTV. It is automatically claimed by them. 

However, this only counts for MKTV. Normal footage with commentary is subject to the same confusing rules as before.