Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

I was going to use my GC to Wii U adapter or this, but the triggers are too stiff for jumps. I'll probably just use the gamepad.

Just tried out the demo at GameStop. Graphics look great and the 60 FPS looks outstanding! The controls on the Gamepad are ZL for item (and you can still stop the item roulette early), ZR is drift and jump boosts, A for Accelerate, and B for brake. The anti-grav sections felt weird though and will have a bit of time getting to used to as there's little weight to the carts.

Oh, there's demos at Gamestop? Closest one isn't that far from me (huzzah for public transit), but not sure if I'm really up for it.

Just listened to that Wario Stadium/Waluigi Pinball remix though...hot damn that sounds awesome. 

Oh, there's demos at Gamestop? Closest one isn't that far from me (huzzah for public transit), but not sure if I'm really up for it.

Just listened to that Wario Stadium/Waluigi Pinball remix though...hot damn that sounds awesome. 

There were 8 or 10 tracks to choose from. If I had more time I would've played one of the longer tracks with the better mechanics, but I just played Peach's Castle.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm kind of hoping that GAME stores will have MK8 demos. Or at least the ones in major UK cities (I'm going to be near Cardiff when the game comes out).

Literally less than 2 weeks left, I think I can wait that long without rushing out to try a demo of it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah. The only place you'll be finding Mario Kart 8 in the UK is at the London MCM either this weekend or next [can't remember which].

I've always used the GCN controller on MKWii, and was forced onto Wii Remote and Nunchuck when playing on the WiiU until I bought myself a second hand Wii Classic. It emulates the GCN well enough and enlarges the D-Pad so it isn't annoying to trick out [seriously. Original GCN controllers' D-Pad's are so tiny].

But yeah. I can wait nigh upon two weeks to play it.

Grrrr. The GameStop nearby received the wrong "unlock code" from Nintendo and therefore couldn't set the demo up.

Hrrrg.

• Thumbs Up 1

Last time I tried a demo out at my closest game stop, the cashier told me that if I wasn't going to buy anything, I'd have to leave. I wasn't even there for more than like, 5 minutes. I never went there again...

Last time I tried a demo out at my closest game stop, the cashier told me that if I wasn't going to buy anything, I'd have to leave. I wasn't even there for more than like, 5 minutes. I never went there again...

Yeah, your Gamestop sounds like a bad one. Mine's fine.

Sounds like a mixed bag at Gamestop. Every GAME store I've been in hasn't had any staff like that. They will sometimes immediately-as-you-enter-the-store ask you what you are looking for, but nothing like asking you to leave. Although GAME have only recently started mass demo stations, and seem friendlier for it.

I also tried out the demo as well, and I enjoyed it. The graphics are amazing and the gameplay is so silky smooth! I only played the demo once however, so I couldn't try out the other characters (like Metal Mario, Shy Guy, or Lakitu)or more of the courses. I tried out Pink Gold Peach of course, but I found her a bit difficult to control and turn. Maybe because she's in the heavy class and I was using a kart? Hopefully I can get another game in tomorrow.

I never have that problem with Gamestop. I usually don't play demos, but they never ask me to leave. Very often I go into Gamestop, look around a while and never buy anything. I usually end up buying online or I often go to another location to pick up what I wanted later.

just...2...more...Months...

I...I can make it..!

This feels so surreal now it's only 2 weeks away...

• Thumbs Up 5

I tell ya this, the graphics are MUCH more impressive playing the game in person.

Played the game right after I got off Work at the nearby Gamestop and played all 8 tracks. Gamepad is gonna take some getting used too, I think i'll stick with the Pro controller, besides it's kinda hard to look down at the map screen and the T.V. at the same time despite the advantage the Gamepad has.

I set a countdown when there were 85 days left until this game comes out.

12 days now......

Yeah, your Gamestop sounds like a bad one. Mine's fine.

I never have that problem with Gamestop. I usually don't play demos, but they never ask me to leave. Very often I go into Gamestop, look around a while and never buy anything. I usually end up buying online or I often go to another location to pick up what I wanted later.

The guy just made me feel so stupid and uncomfortable. I can't remember his words exactly but it was something like "listen, if you're not here to make a purchase, I'm going to have to ask you to leave. We're not allowed to let people just use the demos for as long as they want to"

But the thing is...I was literally there for like, 5 minutes at most. If anything, he just made the chances of me buying anything there even smaller. I have not gone back there since.

Now this is great and all, but what do I have to do for a HD Waluigi Pinball?

Now this is great and all, but what do I have to do for a HD Waluigi Pinball?

I'd do so many things just for that.

DLC, you better fucking deliver it Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Bit Block has a 48 minute Q&A video up now, just about to watch it so if there's any juicy new details I'll edit them into the post afterwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0aV9xhCH08

- characters are random unlocks for completing Grand Prix cups

- unlock Gold Standard kart by getting a star ranking in every Grand Prix (including Mirror Mode)

- Gold parts handle the same as they did in Mario Kart 7

- unlock stamps by completing Grand Prix cups with different characters, Time Trial mode

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, a really good article from Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jordanshapiro/2014/05/15/mario-kart-8-proves-nintendo-is-the-game-maker-for-grown-ups/

Mario Kart 8 Proves Nintendo Is The Game Maker For Grown-Ups

Comment Now Follow Comments         

I think Mario Kart 8 is just about the most mature game I’ve played this year. I know readers won’t like this article. They’ll disagree. For some reason it seems to have become cool to hate Nintendo. I’m alone in my adoration and it is mostly because I write from a father’s perspective. I’m sure my premise will seem absurd to most readers. How could I call the game maker that makes ‘kiddie’ games mature? I’ll explain.

A blister has almost formed on my thumb from pressing down the accelerator button. My kids and I have been giggling and playing together nonstop. Mario Kart 8 is intergenerational bliss. Parents and kids should all play this game together.

Ordinarily, I’d cite some research. I’ve written many posts (like this one) explaining the benefits that come from parents and kids playing video games together. But I’m not writing that this time. This is not about research.

I also don’t want this to be a review of the game; reviewer is really not within my skill set. Besides, Erik Kain has already written the only review you need to read about this highly anticipated game. His review, and the others around the internet, are overwhelmingly positive. Despite the fact that the current trend in game journalism seems to be negative on Nintendo, few writers can deny that this eighth iteration of the classic go-kart racer has beautiful artwork and top-notch controls. Even the negative reviews seem to be complaining about what’s been removed since the last version. Paradoxically, they’re reviewing what’s not there. It is almost as if we all realize just how good Nintendo is at making video games. So much so that we take the achievements for granted.

The biggest achievement here is that Mario Kart 8 is just as much fun for me to play as it is for my six year old, my eight year old, and everyone else who has visited my house since we downloaded our review copy (including my adolescent teenaged nephew). Consider that for a moment. This game is challenging enough for me that I want to play, but still simple enough for my six year old that he remains stimulated.

We snuggle up next to each other on the couch, controllers in hand, playing together. We discuss our favorite race tracks, the best vehicle modifications, and how this version compares to Mario Kart 7. There’s something really special about the experience. I feel like a father when I play.

As a parent, I’m always trying to introduce my kids to things that I enjoyed in my youth. I play them music. I show them movies. I take them to the parks I loved. I introduce them to the comfort foods that come accompanied with fond memories. Most of the time it doesn’t work. Times change. Things age. What appeals to one generation is hardly of interest to the next. But Mario is different.

Mario is like Star Wars. From the moment I showed the first movie to my kids, they were hooked and I was flooded with memories. Few movies span generations like this. It is like LEGO. There’s a timelessness in the fun-factor of the brick. Most toys wane with age. Mario, Luigi, and the gang succeed. And with Mario Kart 8, Nintendo masterfully builds a game that blends grown up nostalgia refreshed in a way that keeps it from feeling dated.

They’ve managed to do this again and again in recent years. New Super Mario Brothers. Super Mario 3D World. Yoshi’s New Island. Kirby Triple Deluxe. Each new title, one after the next, stands out in the family category in ways nobody else seems capable of matching. This is a mark of maturity.

Sure, these aren’t the games we put the “M” rating on. But we live in a society that believes an adolescent attitude of violence, destruction, and combat is “mature.” After all, the U.S. is founded on revolution. And we remain like perpetual teenagers, celebrating rebelliousness and the most simplistic iterations of the Oedipal struggle. Our most lauded individuals are the “innovators” and “disruptors.” Cue the classic Apple Computer commercial in your head; the dreamers, the misfits, the crazy ones, etc.

That’s teenaged stuff, a narrative of perpetual obsolescence—-too much plastic packaging and not enough recycling–that’s wasteful and unsustainable. The rebels of today become the fathers of tomorrow, waiting to be disrupted by the next generation. It is counterproductive. As a father, I don’t value new, shiny, provocative, and edgy in the same way I value sustainability, stability, mindfulness, and education. I’m looking for fun. I’m looking for thoughtful. I’m looking for opportunities to bond with my kids. I’m looking for something that transcends generational idiosyncrasies. Making games that can accomplish this impresses me.

This is the maturity that makes me think Nintendo is leading the pack in a game industry that’s just now crossing over into adulthood. Just as many of the game producers and executives of the past generation have grown up to start working on social impact and educational games (have you seen the trailer for Never Alone that Alan Gershenfeld, former Activision executive is involved in?), I think Nintendo continues to demonstrate unmatched maturity in their focused attention on family games–not games for kids, but games that the whole family can enjoy together.

I encourage every parent to play Mario Kart 8 with their kids. At the very least, I think you’re guaranteed a couple of nights where you’re all staring at one screen together instead of individual private screens alone.

Afterward, take a walk, nature is the most mature game maker of all.

Jordan Shapiro is author of FREEPLAY: A Video Game Guide to Maximum Euphoric Bliss, and MindShift’s Guide To Games And Learning For information on Jordan’s upcoming books and events click here.

their review is good to, and un-numbered

only copying the link though http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/05/15/mario-kart-8-review-life-in-the-fast-lane/

• Thumbs Up 5