Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Thanks, everyone. smile.png

Regarding the positions of the heads, I basically didn't want to butcher the background too much since I'm still not all that experienced enough to rearrange everything without... disastrous results. I'm sure there's some rhyme or reason to how the character select screen is actually arranged, but I mainly wanted to add the characters first and foremost (I did make sure to put Donkey Kong next to Diddy, though).

As for Metal Mario, I actually... didn't really mind him in 7. To me seemed like a cool, if a bit gimmicky, "special" version of Mario, like Super Sonic in Sonic R. But I can see why some people would want him replaced, and I definitely think adding Pink Gold Peach took it too far. Super Soniko actually suggested using Shadow Mario from Sunshine, which would be pretty awesome now that I think about it.

Also, if I were able to expand the square and add two more characters, my first choices would probably be Birdo and Honey Queen (or Dry Bones if the latter were added originally).

EDIT: Oh, look. 100 posts. Neat!

• Thumbs Up 1

Say, you guys, about SSMB tourneys, anybody else think it would be fun to do some themed ones? heres a couple thoughts I had(note multiple people can be the same character online)

Classic tourney: Retro tracks only, classic pipe karts, the classic 8(Mario, Luigi, Daisy, Peach, Dk, Bowser, Wario, and Waluigi[he counts, he first appeared in Mario Tennis 64]) 

Krazy Koopa Kart: Koopas only(Bowser, Koopalings, koopa trooper, maybe lakitu, he has a shell)

and well those were the main two I was thinking of, if you guys have additional ones bring them forward :P

These are just reviewers, they don't represent the hardcore MK community, shoot, their pfoblemly unaware of the stats for characters too

A stat chart for the characters have been floating around for quite a while now. Here's a version of the chart found on the Mario Wiki page.

As far as I know only the Mii's stats for their different weight classes are yet to be confirmed. That, and stats regarding a few parts such as the Gold Standard kart.

On the subject of stats, for those who are interested, an admin from another place I visit put together some nice all-around combos to try out based on the stats we know.

Since speculation has gotten quiet I guess I should post some combos I was looking at.

IozASfb.png

Cruiser + Circuit Special + Azure/Roller + Accel glider

T1krJEJ.png

Heavy + Circuit Special + Azure/Roller + Accel Glider

4UG7qiJ.png

Baby + Circuit Special + Cyber/Slick + Accel Glider

NEkb3xq.png

Super Heavy + Biddy Buggy + Metal + Accel Glider

Everything seems fairly balanced this time, so I honestly don't feel concerned about OPs and whatnot yet. Other than Time Trials being home to the heaviest characters I can see plenty of variety going around online! Or well, at least cosmetic variety, there are even vehicle parts that share parts with some others (Sports Coupe and Circuit Special have the same stats, for example).

Classic 8...Daisy and Waluigi get in before Yoshi and Toad?

How does it make sense?

Yeah, Yoshi and Toad have always been part of the Main 8 along with Mario, Luigi, Peach, DK, Wario, and Bowser.

Daisy and Waluigi would technically be in the same category as Toadette, Koopa troopa, Diddy kong, Bowser Jr., Birdo, king Boo, Petey Piranha, Dry Bones, the babies, the Koopalings and whoever else

Rosalina however is questionable.

EDIT:

Here's a look at what maps will look like for the Prima Guide, they'll be pretty much hand drawn and be accurate to what's displayed on the Gamepad's Map. this is Mario Kart Stadium's.

271339.jpg

Yeah....they messed up on where the Starting/Finish line is at, lol.

I can't believe you guys. You're getting an entire game...for free. Like, really? "Wah, this is free but it's not the free thing I wanted"...get over it, Nintendo could have given you nothing.

I can't believe you guys. You're getting an entire game...for free. Like, really? "Wah, this is free but it's not the free thing I wanted"...get over it, Nintendo could have given you nothing.

dude, I'm happy about Pikmin 3 actualy, however us in NA get our choice of 1 bundled games, 2 extremely popular games, and 1 party game, while every other region gets their pick of 8 or so games of wider variety. Now mind you, I'm happy to get a free game, however it does feel like we're getting a little overlooked compared to the entirety of Europe

Now mind you, I understand its because they want this to seriously have legs in Europe, doesn't mean we cant be slightly miffed

More better games? More like games I already own.

Except for Wii party u, monster hunters looks boring and The W101 was to complicated to play and was also boring.

So if I was in Greece I'm still leaning towards Wind waker. At least that game looks interesting.

And I don't mean to bash games that others like. Those games aren't for me

well, this is amusing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V7Ck9AzlFuk

• Thumbs Up 5

well, this is amusing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V7Ck9AzlFuk

Best thing all week. Hands down.

I would do a charity stream with him so fast.

You guys, that massive advertising campaign, is a giant moving ad in a massive sports event sounds good? well its happening, you are seeing Mario Kart advertised during the entirety of the next Nascar race

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/228875-matt-kenseth-driving-mario-kart-8-nascar-themed-car-this-week

Matt Kenseth driving Mario Kart 8 NASCAR-themed car this week

May 22, 2014 by RawmeatCowboy

MK8%20GS.jpg

SIGN HERE PLEASE: Kenseth will be signing autographs for 200 lucky fans on behalf of GameStop on Friday, May 23rd. The event will take place at Joe Gibbs Racing and tickets will be handed out starting at 8:30 a.m. that morning. Fans will also have the chance to play Mario Kart 8 at the event before the game launches on May 30th.

MARIO KART 8 THIS WEEK ON THE NO. 20 TOYOTA: Turn Your Racing Experience Upside Down! For the first time in HD, Nintendo’s Mario Kart franchise comes to the Wii U console, introducing new racing circuit designs and anti-gravity karts that will have players driving upside down and along walls. Players will also enjoy a variety of series-favorite features, including the return of 12-player online competitive play, hang gliders, underwater racing and motorbikes.

RACE INFO: The History 300 at Charlotte Motor Speedway begins at 2:45 p.m. ET on Saturday, May 24th. The race will be broadcast on ABC, SiriusXM channel 90, and PRN Radio.

From the cockpit:

Matt Kenseth: “I like going back to Charlotte and running the Nationwide Series race. I made my first series start there a long time ago, so it’s always been a special track for me and it’s always fun to go back there and compete. It’s been a few weeks since I’ve been in this No. 20 car, but I’m looking forward to getting back to work with these guys because I think that Kevin (Kidd) and the guys have done a great job already this season. JGR (Joe Gibbs Racing) has a great performance record at Charlotte as well, so I’m looking forward to good things from our GameStop team this weekend.”

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, All-Stars Racing Transformed did it.

But on the other hand Mario Kart 8 is already starting to hit an extremely high advertising saturation level, between the various events, both tv and online ads, even ads before big movies(Godzilla was the first, I bet we will have quite a few more before the summer ends), and then there is the fact they plan to extend the campaign to the end of the year, its doing great 

Has any other Mario Kart game ever used dynamic lighting? Like, at all?
Looking at gameplay, you can really see it, even more so in the darker stages [or those set at evening/night]. It's something I've really only noticed watching gameplay footage, and yet can never remember seeing such lighting effects in any other Mario Kart.

Has any other Mario Kart game ever used dynamic lighting? Like, at all?

Looking at gameplay, you can really see it, even more so in the darker stages [or those set at evening/night]. It's something I've really only noticed watching gameplay footage, and yet can never remember seeing such lighting effects in any other Mario Kart.

Nope.  Well, Wii and 7 don't anyway so I think it's fair to assume that none of them do.  Most notable comparison would obviously be comparing the shadows.  In every MK game prior to 8 they just used drop shadows but in 8 the shadows react to a light source so they're constantly portrayed at different angles.  Here's a comparison:

http://youtu.be/SsZD52vb5iQ?t=2m9s

Well, All-Stars Racing Transformed did it.

The only difference is that Matt Kenseth isn't a playable character and isn't used for the reason why you should buy the game

Did anyone also notice that the karts and bikes now have headlights that activate mid-race when you go into a dark area, like the cave in Yoshi Valley?

Don't know if this is a nationwide thing or just at my local store, but GAME are holding a Mario Kart 8 event on launch day next Friday:

BoUmYj_IgAA50df.jpg

I wonder what the prizes are... hmm... might be tempted to go down and try my luck, seeing as it's not far away from me at all!

Yeah. I noticed. It's all part of the dynamic lighting they're using.

In previous games [well, Wii anyway], all that happened was a circle of light appeared. Now we've got headlights to use, and powerful ones at that.

well, here is something for our UK gamers

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/228909-uk-pr-e4-partners-with-nintendo-wii-u-mario-kart-tv

UK PR - E4 partners with Nintendo Wii U Mario Kart TV

May 23, 2014 by NintenDaan

Mario Kart 8 players win chance to have their best races broadcast on E4

Channel 4 Sales today announced a new partnership with E4 and Nintendo to celebrate its latest release Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, due to hit the shelves on Friday 30th May.

Mario Kart 8's new Mario Kart TV feature allows players to share a 30, 45 or 60-second highlight reel of their best race moments with their friends immediately after play via Nintendo's MiiVerse social network and YouTube.

In this exclusive partnership with E4, from the game's release on Friday 30th May to Monday 2nd June, players using Mario Kart TV to upload their race highlights to Miiverse and YouTube, will also be able to enter a competition to win one of five chances to have their race highlights broadcast on E4. Players can enter their details for a chance to win via a linked E4 Nintendo competition page.

Each evening from Monday 2nd June to Friday 6th June, one winning player's race highlights showreel, including the player's name, will be broadcast in commercial airtime at approx. 8.10pm on E4. The five winners will also each win a real-life Mario Kart cup.

To promote the competition to win this unique opportunity - and find out more about the new Mario Kart 8 game - ad spots will be broadcast across E4 between Friday 23rd May and Sunday 1st June.

E4 viewers will be given the chance to win a Wii U - the competition will be advertised in the winning players ad spots.

The partnership was brokered by Matt Waller, Group Partnerships Manager, Channel 4 Sales and Liam Hannan, Communications Manager at MEC.

The spot creative was designed and created by the Picture Production Company (PPC).

Danny Peace, Agency Principal, Channel 4 Sales said: "This bespoke partnership with Nintendo and E4 gives viewers a money can't buy opportunity to win the chance to see their very own game play broadcast in peak-time on E4. It builds upon Channel 4 Sales' strong track record in creating truly innovative and creative marketing solutions that engage clients' brands with consumers in a unique way."

Roger Langford, Mario Brand Manager at Nintendo UK said: "Mario Kart TV is a great addition to the Mario Kart functionality and we think it's something that fans will really enjoy. It's great to rewatch in detail those key moments in the race, whether it's getting blue-shelled, exploring the new anti-gravity mode or reliving your victory as you cross the finish line, E4 is a perfect vehicle for highlighting this feature to a young and engaged audience and we're looking forward to seeing the entries."

Mario Kart TV being broadcast on E4? Now that's a good idea.

Would've been better if it was Channel 4 or one of the other main channels, but hey, it's still smart move! Hopefully they come up with more unique ideas like this to help shift some units.

I'd imagine sponsoring some popular TV shows on E4 would be a good idea too. You know "This programme is sponsored by Mario Kart 8! For Flipping fun, only on Wii U!"

Mario Kart 8 UK Launch Ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boTNnhfRYTY

I really hope they have this playing on TV, it's a pretty good advert in terms of getting things across to the consumer. High review scores, lots of gameplay footage, showing off the Wii U bundle and the free Wii U game offer at the end... oh and the mention of "STUNNING HD GRAPHICS!" will always go down well with the UK audience, I'm sure :lol:

• Thumbs Up 3