Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Interview with Mario Kart 8 Director Kosuke Yabuki

A few interesting snippets of info in there - for instance, they're not ruling out a Smash Bros-esque roster for future entries in the series, but they don't necessarily think it's the way to go.

EDIT: Also, a closer look at some of the amazing visual details in the game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-n1Uh9uHWQ

EDIT 2: Some brand new UK adverts for the game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K3trEaRAkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXCuv4Yo4h8

I want an anti-grav armchair too, dammit!

Darn it, I was going to post those actualy good UK adds tongue.png

on another note, this afternoon/Evening I'll give my go at the DK genealogy chart, using game appearances as the primary determinant, though I did have another thought, what if DKJr is adolescent Funky Kong? but ya I'll do that chart later

EDIT: oh Netherlanders, your retailers have broken streetdate

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/229135-some-stores-in-the-netherlands-releasing-mario-kart-8-early 

BophO3SIAAAjZv-.jpg

Brilliant adverts.

And - Brilliant! Another street date broken.

Oh well, it's not long left at all.

And also, anyone tuning into the IGN Mario Kart livestream tonight [18:00 BST]?

Wish I still lived in the Netherlands now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-n1Uh9uHWQ

tumblr_m22ou0yfOz1qdjjgt.gif

That's amazing! They really put a lot of love and care into this, probably the best looking stages of any Mario Kart game! <3 The attention to detail is superb.

• Thumbs Up 1

oBa6gDel.jpg

Kindle Ads; go figure.

Also, did Target break the street date here in the US?

GxTOKbql.jpg

This is image was taken at a Target at Fairview Heights. Illinois

All these talks of broken dates. Never happens to me around here. ;-;

Some lucky bugger in Europe got not only the game three days early, but the Limited Edition three days early. Here's an unboxing video for those curious as to how the Spiny Shell statue shapes up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQvApiSNQAM

Also, potentially exciting news - Club Nintendo in Japan are getting some Mario Kart 8 themed t-shirts, such as this one:

pop_itemimg_p190.jpg

With any luck we'll get plenty of MK8 themed stuff hitting Europe and America too. Those silhouettes are just from the loading screen, so imagine all the potential there is with all the logos and 'companies' that are in the game itself! I'd totally dig a Luma-fied Galaxy Air t-shirt.

Here's a review from the Ranting Robots. I love these guys!

This review pretty much covers my attitude towards the game when I pick it up Friday. Man, after trying the demo a while back, I can't wait!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, so I think I have this worked out, so I put together a nice little chart

DKLineage_copy.png

So note, the DK in DKC to DKCTF is the same DK

So yeah, from what I can find, DKJr was DK!Modern's father, and possibly Funky's as well, and he is still out there somewhere, we just haven't seen him in almost a decade and a half sadly

But on the upside that means he is quite possible for a MK comeback, without time shenanigans

Here's a review from the Ranting Robots. I love these guys!

I don't really like them. They just take teaser videos and comment on them. A lot of people don't realize they're not actual reviews. It's more of a "fun" account.

Ok, so I think I have this worked out, so I put together a nice little chart

DKLineage_copy.png

So note, the DK in DKC to DKCTF is the same DK

So yeah, from what I can find, DKJr was DK!Modern's father, and possibly Funky's as well, and he is still out there somewhere, we just haven't seen him in almost a decade and a half sadly

But on the upside that means he is quite possible for a MK comeback, without time shenanigans

Again, that's the original theory Rare had. Nintendo doesn't seem to be following that anymore. In fact, in early concepts of Donkey Kong Country, Diddy Kong was just a redesigned DK Jr., but Nintendo wanted them to keep DK Jr. looking the same, so Rare decided just to make him a new character. Obviously that'd clash completely with the notion that Cranky was the original DK, so they probably came up with the idea of Cranky being the original DK after that point.

EDIT: And one additional note:

"It is speculated that, due to their near identical appearance, Funky Kong and Donkey Kong are likely brothers. The fact that Cranky is both Donkey Kong and Funky Kong's grandfather backs this statement up."

Its not known for sure, but it seems to be the case that DK and FK are brothers. At worst they are cousins, though I kinda doubt that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Again, that's the original theory Rare had. Nintendo doesn't seem to be following that anymore. In fact, in early concepts of Donkey Kong Country, Diddy Kong was just a redesigned DK Jr., but Nintendo wanted them to keep DK Jr. looking the same, so Rare decided just to make him a new character. Obviously that'd clash completely with the notion that Cranky was the original DK, so they probably came up with the idea of Cranky being the original DK after that point.

EDIT: And one additional note:

"It is speculated that, due to their near identical appearance, Funky Kong and Donkey Kong are likely brothers. The fact that Cranky is both Donkey Kong and Funky Kong's grandfather backs this statement up."

Its not known for sure, but it seems to be the case that DK and FK are brothers. At worst they are cousins, though I kinda doubt that.

True, true, but at this point of time, it is rather likely that DKJr is not DK, and that was the entire point, that DKJr is an individual entity, and would be a possibility as a stand alone character in MK8 as a legacy character 

Personaly I would love to see a DK DLC pack, with a couple of DK themed tracks, and DKJr, Funky, and Diddie(and possibly Dixie as well)

Though on other possibility I considered is that DKJr is in fact Funky, but that's just a thought I had

Edit, oh and also DK, and DKJr were seen side by side in Mario Tennis 64 as well

Edit, oh and also DK, and DKJr were seen side by side in Mario Tennis 64 as well

Mario and Baby Mario were also seen side by side in that game, so that doesn't really mean much of anything.

Game in Hanley had a demo up at last. The XBone racer and PS4 football game were taking all the attention off the shoppers, so it was easy to have a go of it.

Honestly...I wasn't too impressed with it. I mean, it's a solid game, but didn't feel like a massive step up from Mario Kart Wii or anything. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Game in Hanley had a demo up at last. The XBone racer and PS4 football game were taking all the attention off the shoppers, so it was easy to have a go of it.

Sounds like the Wii U isn't being saved any time soon lmao

Sounds like the Wii U isn't being saved any time soon lmao

Isn't the UK normaly addicted to sports and a tad apathetic to Nintendo? honestly I think the ads will help, especialy the launch day one that reminds people of free online 

And one store is not representive of an entire country

also E-shop version is now available in japan

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/229229-mario-kart-8-now-available-on-japanese-eshop

• Thumbs Up 1

Well my order has been dispatched by Tesco, so I won't be getting it till release day at the earliest. I'm really excited, a great new Mario Kart game AND another free game, i can't wait!

Went searching around town to see if any store had Mario Kart 8 up early so I can snag it. They have the display racks ready, but they're keeping the cases in the back. Darn. 8p

Haven't heard about any midnight releases either, so I'll just have to wait until Friday.

Was hoping mine would be here today. Might have jinxed it though, so definite tomorrow.

And when it does come... I guarantee I won't be here until the end of the day.

Aw man, all you people with Mario Kart 8 early or have it already on its way to you... and I'm still sat here (im)patiently waiting for Nintendo to even dispatch my Limited Edition despite having taken my money a few days ago

This makes me a sad panda

;_;

they took my money on the 23rd, jesus christ come on Nintendo...

they took my money on the 23rd, jesus christ come on Nintendo...

Same here. It had a reference on my bank statement as something like "on 27th May" so I just assumed they'd taken it early because of the Bank Holiday weekend to dispatch them all straight away on Tuesday and avoid any fuss.

Seriously, the "stock pick" took place ages ago now. The games must literally just be sat in a pile waiting for someone to deliver them.

I hope you two are ready to wait a little longer...

3emuqy2a.jpg

They don't even plan on dispatching it until launch day!

I've sent them a query about it because it's fucking absurd to wait for a game to be delivered after launch day when you pre-order it.