Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Maybe Rosalina is heavy up top?

Just a theory.

As an expert in this area I can actually inform you that Rosalina is the flattest of the three Mario girls.

But of course... try telling the fanartists that geez.

• Thumbs Up 4

She's not really anymore buxom than the other princesses.

But she sure as fuck is hotter.

princess-rosetta-420-1194999503-jpg.jpg

Dat fringe <3

On a serious note though, Rosalina is by far my favourite of the Mario "heroines" (based on what the 3DS StreetPass puzzle calls them). She's the only one with a decent backstory and a shred of personality.

• Thumbs Up 2

princess-rosetta-420-1194999503-jpg.jpg

Dat fringe <3

On a serious note though, Rosalina is by far my favourite of the Mario "heroines" (based on what the 3DS StreetPass puzzle calls them). She's the only one with a decent backstory and a shred of personality.

She ain't a damsel in distress alright. She's basically a goddess. 

Her character and backstory in G1, is the biggest reason I put it above G2. Yes the latter played better, and had better level design, but G1 felt like it had a lot more heart and soul in it. Rosalina was part of that.

....Wait, this is completely tangential to the discussion at hand (pretty much standard procedure for me at this point)....

Well, I certainly would like Rosalina as a character in MK8, even though its unlikely I'll be getting the game any time soon. Got to represent one of the best characters in the franchise.

I hope Rosalina gets in MK8, and gets a better course than the Ice World from the previous game. She was pretty much my main through Wii and 7.

Now just put her in a two piece in Strikers and we're on to something.

Might even prove my "heavy up top" theory.

Edited by Ringo ~
  • Thumbs Up 2

Heh, what if we got a crossover with Kirby? perhaps as a bonus character, now that could be interesting XD

Did someone say Cranky Kong? I think someone said Cranky Kong. Now that would be something.

Does he drive in a barrel? Can he spawn infinite barrels?

Edited by Dom
  • Thumbs Up 1

He needs to drive an old, busted arcade machine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, and Metal Mario and Honey Bee Queen should return too!

Guys?

Anybody?

Yeah, and Metal Mario and Honey Bee Queen should return too!

Guys?

Anybody?

Metal Mega Bee Propeller Suit Mario anyone?

Also, quick question: I never played Mario Kart 7, is Metal Mario a full on Mario clone or does he have something different to him?

Metal Mega Bee Propeller Suit Mario anyone?

Also, quick question: I never played Mario Kart 7, is Metal Mario a full on Mario clone or does he have something different to him?

He's a Heavy Type character so he has High Top Speed and low Acceleration and Handling

Yeah, essentially making him more a clone of Wario instead....

(VVVVVVVVV:)

What did you just say about my Daisy.

jpk.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 9

So apparently the game's coming out April 2014.

Why do my most-wanted games have to be either lumped together or extremely far away? It doesn't help that I think the Wii U needs some of these titles sooner rather than later. 

Ho well. 

I would like to point out that is the Nintendo of EUROPES newsletter, it is possible it will come out earlier in the US or japan

Oh yeah. I'm totally up for this. The gravity-defying concept could really bring some potentially awesome courses. The first thing that came to my mind was "What the hell will Rainbow Road be like?!"

Anyway, bikes are back. Cool, I can work that that.And I'm really glad that the customizing option seems to be back, what with the mix-matched parts. Really hope that they let any character sit and any vehicle instead of limiting them in weight classes like in DD and MKWii.

Characters... Well, I got Yoshi and Daisy so I'm good right there. I hope Shy Guy and Rosalina come back from 7 and Diddy Kong comes back from MKWii. As for others, I could work with Wario Series rep like Captain Syrup or Mona. (As far as Warioware goes, I'd prefer either Dribble, Spitz, Young Cricket or 9-volt -- but I think Mona would have a better chance than anyone of that series.) The Yoshi series, well Poochy or Kamek. I never liked using the babies. As for any other characters, I wouldn't mind it if Pauline got a spot.

Tracks that I hope return. Toad's Turnpike, Yoshi Valley, Cheese Land, Sunset Wilds, Ribbon Road, Yoshi Desert, Wario Colosseum, Tick Tock Clock, Toad's Factory, Daisy Circuit, Grumble Volcano, Shy Guy Bazaar, Daisy Hills, Wario Shipyard, Neo Bowser City and Roaslina's Ice World. Any of those would be fine. Wouldn't mind a new course that resembled Waluigi Pinball. Yeah, that and or Baby Park. Hell, bring back Baby Park again! I don't care that it was already revived in MKDS! 12-player mayhem on that course, I'd freaking love it. Also, as a Yoshi fan, I hope that there is a new Yoshi-themed course. The last one was Yoshi Falls... Didn't rightly care for that one.

Of course, none of what I'm asking for is mandetory for me. I'm sure I'll enjoy this either way. Can't wait.

Edited by 21 + 21 = YoshiUnity

Havent played one since DS, and never really played double dash, so cant wait to try one again ;)

Oh and this is an interview from a while back, but i'll just post it on here just for anyone that missed it.

Even though the Blue Shell wasn't in the demo, it WILL be in the final version. There was also a scrapped concept for the vehicles to use drills instead of anti-gravity.

A portion of an MTV Multiplayer interview with Hideki Konno and Kosuke Yabuki.

Multiplayer: Where did the idea of anti-gravity playing into the game come from?

Mr. Konno: Let me have the Director, Mr. Yabuki address that.

Mr. Kosuke Yabuki: Well the first thing we were considering, with the Wii U's new hardware, it's really become more powerful than what we did with the last one on the 3DS, "Mario Kart 7." With the graphics and the screen you can make a much more smooth experience, and with the upgraded hardware, instead of doing a course on a 2D plane as we've done before, we wanted to use the whole 3D area of that courses' space. Not the stereoscopic 3D, but the whole area of the screen, and so the courses we are developing now are courses that nothing like them has been seen before.

Multiplayer: I didn't happen to see if it was in the demo for "Mario Kart 8," but one thing that has found its way into the series for a few years now has been an item that is loved and hated - the blue shell. Where did that idea originally come from, and does it appear in this latest game as well?

Mr. Konno: It's not in the demo out there, but it will be in the final version of the game. It's actually a question that I get a lot, talking about balance, or where that idea came from, we often get that in interviews. One of the things that we always think about when making a "Mario Kart" game is the replay value for the customer. When we made that game, we thought it added something to that value, for people to play over and over again. When you just want to play one more game, one more match.

So actually the original idea, that we had back in "Mario Kart 64" where we hit upon this idea for a Blue Shell weapon, was that it would enable even whoever was in the back of the pack to still want to continue the race, to still want to keep going. Something that would allow them to still have that feeling.

The first one we made would go straight up the middle of the course, so anyone that was in the way would get damaged as it flew. Then we changed it to the one that flies over and hits that person in first place, and you know, takes them out of their game a little bit. Every time we make a new game we want to challenge ourselves to adjust it a little bit, with something new.

We're always having this battle of whose side do we take? The person in the back obviously they want something that hits, because that's their chance to influence the game. The person in first, of course, wants to have some kind of chance to get out of the way. That's always something that the designers have to think about, and make small adjustments to figure out the best thing for that particular game.

That's part of the reason about why it's not out on the floor, because we're still thinking about that balance and what we're going to do with the blue shell. We'd like your opinion actually, what you're idea would be to have that thing go at you.

Multiplayer: Those games in particular feature some of the Namco characters, and the "Smash Bros." series features some third party characters as well. Has that ever been an ideal that's been tossed around for "Mario Kart"?

Mr. Konno: The idea always come up during development of new "Mario Karts," but we believe there's a certain feel that "Mario Kart" has as a series, it's Mario kart, the "Mario Kart" characters are the ones that are going to be coming out. We almost feel like there's a secret rule that Mr. Miyamoto has that limits those new characters to just Mario.

If we did it too much it would be "Smash Kart."

Multiplayer: That would be an interesting game.

Mr. Konno: (laughs)

Mr. Yabuki: Actually, the addition of the Miis is kind of pushing us towards that.

Mr. Konno: Don't tell anybody, but when we put the Miis in, Mr. Miyamoto was even kind of like, "You know, aren't you crossing the line here? This doesn't exactly feel like 'Mario Kart.'" But you know, with the Mii being a basic part of the console, we were able to put it in, and have him actually play it to get his sign off. It's still an unlock, you can't select a Mii from the get-go. So, for some reason it didn't exactly cross that secret line, but it kind of came close.

Multiplayer: Have there been any ideas that have gotten scrapped over the years?

Mr. Konno: We're always looking to surprise our players with something new, and sometimes we will take those ideas that we've tossed aside for one reason or another, and use them as a reference or even put them in future games. So we really can't talk about that right now.

(turning to Mr.Yabuki) Maybe we can give him one little tidbit?

Mr. Yakuki: What about that underground thing?

Mr. Konno: Yes. In "7" we had the glider, and submersion in water, and so when we were also thinking about new ideas for "8," and we thought, "well, since we did all that, why not put a drill on the karts, and have them go through the earth somehow, subterranean racing." But, we kind of thought that's not such an interesting idea, and after that we hit upon the antigravity mechanic.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2013/06/17/e3-2013-mario-kart-8-interview/

Sounds like they're tweaking the Blue Shell a bit. As long as it's for the better, I'm fine with that. And drills? Hell, if they can make it work, then they give it a shot in another entry.

Edited by 21 + 21 = YoshiUnity

What always confused me is that the blue shell is so powerful; why cant it be like the swam from Sonic Transformed?  You launch the item, obstacles go ahead of the other racers and if their skilled enough, they can avoid it.  With the blue shell, in almost every Mario Kart (never played 7 and Super though so I'm not sure this applies their), you are flung into the sky, letting all the other racers dash ahead of you and have no means to avoid it! (Yes I know you can use a mushroom to boost dodge it, but still).  I hope they retool it to be much more fair and isn't like how it is in Mario Kart Wii; that dam shell in addition to the lighting bolt, super star, and red shells hitting all at once cost me a ton of races sad.png)

Edited by RK64

What always confused me is that the blue shell is so powerful; why cant it be like the swam from Sonic Transformed?  You launch the item, obstacles go ahead of the other racers and if their skilled enough, they can avoid it.  With the blue shell, in almost every Mario Kart (never played 7 and Super though so I'm not sure this applies their), you are flung into the sky, letting all the other racers dash ahead of you and have no means to avoid it! (Yes I know you can use a mushroom to boost dodge it, but still).  I hope they retool it to be much more fair and isn't like how it is in Mario Kart Wii; that dam shell in addition to the lighting bolt, super star, and red shells hitting all at once cost me a ton of races sad.png)

While Sonic Transformed was a more skill-based game (one I consider better than a lot of Mario Kart entries) it sort of taught me why the Blue Shell was implemented in the first place. While in Mario Kart it's an unfairly good item that turns first place into a very vulnerable position, Sonic Transformed has the opposite problem.

In Transformed, first place is quite arguably the safest or one of the safest positions. Getting hit by items is less of a worry because you're ahead of everyone else, who are all too busy pelting each other with Ice and Blowfish to even touch you. 

That said, I agree with you, and I hope they nerf the hell out of it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The only changes in Mario Kart 7 in regards to the Blue Shell is that it travels along the ground and will hit any racer who get's in it's travel path to the dude in first. Also unlike MKWii, the Blue Shell is more rare, no where near annoying as it was in Wii.. 

Actually I really can't tell if the Swarm is any better cause that ticks me off even more than blue shells do.

Really? Because for me the blue shell pretty much showed up in every other race.

The blue shell has taught me that the best place to be is 3rd throughout the race. Get them three red shells, as soon as the race is about to end ya hit 2nd and first place, and keep another shell to protect ya.

3rd place master race.