Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Yeah it does but we still need a topic here to organize stuff, I can just set up a community or a few (depending on the limit/amount of people who can join one) and set up weekly fun runs to prepare for the proper tournament later on.

That makes sense to me. I really like the idea that you can set up actual tournaments this time, at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm probably gonna livestream the game when I get it, but obviously, with it having been released early in some places and a lot of people already streaming it, I doubt very many people would watch me do so. lol Either way, I'm excited for this game, and I hope I get it on time... My game hasn't even been shipped by Amazon yet.

Problem with Tournament mode and more organized games, from what I've gathered in a stream, is that tournaments have a very weird 1 minute auto-start on them. You join and then it immediately attempts to start a game 1 minute later regardless of the amount of players in a room. Not sure how MK7's communities worked, but I feel that 1 minute thing is gonna make it hard for a large amount of people to join in at once.

I can't help but say I'm pretty confused as to how Tournaments/Communities work actually. Are they defined by several small "skirmishes" over X amount of time, and whoever scores the most during that time wins? It feels different compared to say, make a private room and gather everyone together in one go. Or maybe I'm too used to MKWii's online.

The tournament mode is like the community mode in 7 with added time options. You're awarded points for every race you compete in, depending on position, and whoever has the most at the end of the week would be declared the "winner". It's basically a way to get a bunch of people playing together without friend information being exchanged.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just to take a break from my spewing of positivity, I gave Battle mode a quick go.  The tracks designed for being raced on play as battle arenas about as well as you'd expect them to.  Every match was just a case of driving round and round and shooting your item whenever you happened to pass by someone choosing to drive in the opposite direction to you.

They could've designed the tracks with some extra areas off-limits in Grand Prix that open up in Battle, blocking off the rest of the track and making for a well-rounded Battle arena, if they wanted to go the "squeeze more content out of existing maps" angle but... nope.  With what they did, they might as well have just cut Battle Mode and be done with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Having this come from Jez of all people just proves how much battle mode is a fucking travesty and should never have been done. I'm so mad right now like you wouldn't believe, leave Nintendo to fuck up a staple mode in a game that could have been perfect, for a company desperately wanting to save their drowning hardware they're doing a fan-fucking-tastic job of not helping their situation by pulling shit like this.

Yeah...we really didn't need the entire track to use as a battle course. With all 8 of them, its just doing the same thing every time with different tracks to battle on. I think this Idea would've been better with something like coin/shine runners.

This game was so close to being perfect. Battle mode was pretty much the next half of Mario kart. Now its just racing that's good again. MK7 battle was pretty boring, but this is even worse.

The simple things they fuck up on. And they chose to do it to. Not like they had no time.

WELP.  Apparently I have to live the rest of my life without an ass, because I just laughed mine off.

Even though that video was funny, and the car is cool, this better not be the start of Nintendo playing catch up with SEGA for the "Most Irrelevant Racing" award.

Also, pity about the battle mode; was always my favorite mode of them all. If they do make DLC arenas to make up for it, though, I'm not buying them. The whole point of Nintendo's stance on DLC is to release the full game beforehand, and additional content afterward, mostly as an afterthought. If they have the gall to serve half-baked modes before release and then "make up" for them by releasing paid DLC, there goes my respect for them, along with my money.

Though, if they're really desperate for my moolah, then they oughta bring back Bob-om battle. That mode was the bomb!

I'll get my coat.

Sent a query of my own to the Nintendo UK Online Store, here's the reply:

Thank you for your message.We can confirm that payment for your order has been taken and it is now currently awaiting dispatch from our warehouse. We anticipate that all orders for Mario Kart 8 should be received either later on today or tomorrow, the date of release (May 30th).Please check your online store account throughout the day, for updates from our team and any change in status to your order and it’s delivery.Thank you for using our online store and hope you continue to shop with us for all your Nintendo product needs!Should you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Looks like there may be some faint glimmer of hope yet...!

I guess this implies even further than we may get DLC announcements sometime down the line.

I'm thinking we'll most likely hear about some DLC plans at E3!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just been to GAME and cancelled my pre-order and put the £5 on a gift card. Hopefully I can get it when I'm next paid in two weeks time and then join you guys for some races. 

Sucks to hear about battle mode. I hope one day Nintendo will get it right again. Me and my family used to spend hours on that mode. 

Hooray! The Nintendo store has dispatched orders at long bloody last! And they've been sent by courier, so hopefully they will arrive on time. But it doesn't say it's 24hr shipping or whatever. It says the estimate is "on or before June 3rd".

Hooray! The Nintendo store has dispatched orders at long bloody last! And they've been sent by courier, so hopefully they will arrive on time. But it doesn't say it's 24hr shipping or whatever. It says the estimate is "on or before June 3rd".

Say whaaaaa? Mine is still awaiting dispatch. Come on Nintendo, don't mess me around...! D:

Say whaaaaa? Mine is still awaiting dispatch. Come on Nintendo, don't mess me around...! D:

I got an email just after nine o'clock. My guess is that they're processing all the orders one by one and you'll get one pretty soon today.

Yodel is a fantastic courier service, we might even get it today if we're lucky, if not definitely tomorrow guys.

Let the hype begin!

Holy shit that Mercedes commercial was amazing! XD Made me lol.

But yah shame to hear that about Battle mode! I'm one of those that only played Battle mode locally and occasionally with friends online, so I wasn't really into it as most of you are. Still, it's not nice for people who did play Battle mode often and I hope there will be DLC released for proper Battle arenas.

And Bob Omb mode! I loved that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I got an email just after nine o'clock. My guess is that they're processing all the orders one by one and you'll get one pretty soon today.

Aw man D: the wait is even more painful now! *waits for update*

I will just say my only disappointment with the retro track roster is still no N64 Wario Stadium or GBA Cheese Land or GBA Ribbon Road.  We only ever get one GBA and one SNES track per game too.  At least they've almost run out of all the boring GBA tracks that don't have unique tropes.  In a few games time they'll be forced to use a quirky one!  ;-;

Having experienced them a couple of times now, I think my new fave tracks are Mario Kart Stadium, Toad Harbour, Sunshine Airport, Dolphin Shoals, and Wario Summit.

• Thumbs Up 1