Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Double Dash was my favourite Mario Kart game until Mario Kart 7 came along.  Will never quite understand the hate for it (though I can admit it did introduce a lot of crappy stuff to the series, it was only VERY mildly crappy there, and it was Wii that exasperated the problems.

Agreed with this, a double dash mode might just actually get me to buy this entry as well which would make it the very first mario kart game i've actually bought since double dash.

In Double Dash, didn't the second character just control items? Doesn't seem like a lot of fun to be honest.

I think there was a Crash Team Racing game where the second player had a full 360 view and could aim anywhere. Now that was a lot of fun.

Though I never got the chance to actually experience it, what I've read and seen about the co-op is that the first player had the basic driving abilities and the second player was in charge of using items, charging the mini-turbos, and using a sideways dash to hit other racers and steal their items, or to help keep the cart kart going in the right direction.  Also, there was a special starting boost called, unsurprisingly, the Double Dash that required team work.

Though I never got the chance to actually experience it, what I've read and seen about the co-op is that the first player had the basic driving abilities and the second player was in charge of using items, charging the mini-turbos, and using a sideways dash to hit other racers and steal their items, or to help keep the cart kart going in the right direction.  Also, there was a special starting boost called, unsurprisingly, the Double Dash that required team work.

Pretty much this, plus you could even switch who was driving too but I will admit crash tag team racing probably does it a bit better in concept. The double team aspect I mean.

Also, why do people hate mario kart double dash it seems as though it gets a lot of hate but I can't all too well see why.

Edited by megadude001

The double team mechanic seems incredibly lame (in DD) to be honest. It's funny you also pointed out CTR (I also pointed that out earlier) which gave both players a great dose of action. In Double Dash, it'd seem like I'd rather just drive, drift, and hit others by myself.

Having a mode for it would be cool though. It could work like NSMB's block mode.

Who the hell even played the 2-player co-op mode.  I thought that was just a tacked on extra for funsies.

What mattered to me is having two items that I could strategically use rather than just having to choose what the game dealt me there and then or waste it and get something else.  I also liked that having the characters out of the driving seat gave them a ton more scope for personality and animation.  And of course, the characters having special items gave meaning to character selection individually as oppose to just what size kart you wanted to drive.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who the hell even played the 2-player co-op mode.  I thought that was just a tacked on extra for funsies.

I did. A lot. My brother and I switched as drivers between GP's and it was fun to coordinate strategies like that, between using the item-stealing punch to move around, or alternating as drivers for courses the other was better at.

• Thumbs Up 8

Double Dash had the funniest voice clips in that game. I love hearing Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, and Bowser screams as they fall off tracks or get bombed.

It also gave us "Hi I'm Daisy!" and "Waluigi Time!".

• 3 weeks later...

This video has been around since last month, but I don't think it was posted here.

I really like how the course design is looking in this game. Especially that second, San Francisco based one. The courses seem reasonably large, but filled with alternate paths and gimmicks to keep it interesting. It could be the best Mario Kart yet.

Edited by Wraith
  • Thumbs Up 4

This video has been around since last month, but I don't think it was posted here.

I really like how the course design is looking in this game. Especially that second, San Francisco based one. The courses seem reasonably large, but filled with alternate paths and gimmicks to keep it interesting. It could be the best Mario Kart yet.

Looks great, but I don't like how they are reusing music from Mario Kart 7 without remixing it at all. Hopefully that's not the norm for the game. 

Also the return of 12-player online? Not sure how to feel...............

Edited by Chaos Warp

Looks great, but I don't like how they are reusing music from Mario Kart 7 without remixing it at all. Hopefully that's not the norm for the game. 

Also the return of 12-player online? Not sure how to feel...............

The game doesn't come out until next year. It's probably placeholder music.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it interesting that this Mario game appears to be going for something of a cartoony realism, while Sonic Lost World is taking cues from Mario art style-wise. Nothing major, just an interesting thing to note.

The game doesn't come out until next year. It's probably placeholder music.

Could be, but if you listened closely the San Francisco-based course had original music (couldn't hear the music for the ghost course), and the "race starting" theme and "race ending" theme (from Mario kart 7 and Mario Kart Wii respectively) probably aren't placeholder. 

If stuff was indeed placeholder, I would expect everything to be. 

Just skimmed through to not majorly spoil the tracks but oh my god this game is beautiful.  The lighting, the way the shadows fall across everything so accurately and realistically.  Mario's world has never felt more alive than this.

Could be, but if you listened closely the San Francisco-based course had original music (couldn't hear the music for the ghost course), and the "race starting" theme and "race ending" theme (from Mario kart 7 and Mario Kart Wii respectively) probably aren't placeholder.

Pretty sure it's possible that some music is done and some isn't.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

Could be, but if you listened closely the San Francisco-based course had original music (couldn't hear the music for the ghost course), and the "race starting" theme and "race ending" theme (from Mario kart 7 and Mario Kart Wii respectively) probably aren't placeholder. 

Well, stuff like the Race Starting and Race Ending themes are probably last on the priority list.

I believe Mario Kart Wii was using placeholder music when it debuted as well.

Actually I just checked the video again with sound on now and all the in-gameplay music (and the menu music) is new, even the Figure 8 Circuit.  Only the course intro and results music is reused.

I'm actually... almost disappointed it wasn't placeholder though.  I'd really like them to drop the current MK soundtrack style and go back to the smooth magical melodies of Mario Kart 64.

Edited by JezMM

If there is any returning music, it's still just placeholder music. Mario Kart 7's E3 demos used plenty of placeholder music that wasn't there in the final.

Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEAgxTA_rQM 

First course looks like Mario Kart 7: F-Zero fan faceslap edition.

Second course just... looks like Mario Kart 7.

Mario Kart TV sounds dumb. It's probably going to be filled with videos of people dicking people over with Red Shells because they fucking suck at Racing games.

And more shitty bananas that no one but 50cc AI gets hit by. Great.

Not impressed. Doubt I'll be impressed by the final product either.

Wonder how they will do the retro tracks with the new anti grav mechanic? How did they do it in MK7, I don't have that one

Wonder how they will do the retro tracks with the new anti grav mechanic? How did they do it in MK7, I don't have that one

Underwater was added to N64 Koopa Troopa Beach and GCN Daisy Cruiser.  Pretty much every "huge" jump from a past game (such as Wii Coconut Mall) was changed to a Hang Glider jump.

I imagine we might see some wall-driving added to retro tracks.

3-D Mario sandbox game. These graphics show me that it can be done. I want it now.

Looking at that video, I found a detail I missed last time I watched it.

When you fall into a lake, there's no more black screen and waiting. You're instantly pulled out and put back on the track without any transition screens.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wasn't that in MK7 and Wii? I haven't played them for awhile though so I don't really know.

I thought the Wii one had you fall down, a black screen appeared, and then you were dropped. Here you're pulled out immediately after falling without any transitions and immediately dropped.

Ooooh that's what you meant
Yeah, I don't think that's happened in a Mario Kart game since Super Circuit.