Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Funny that it's actually red and green shells that cause more trouble in this game than falling off the track or getting hit by blue shells. I like how the Lakitu picks you up a lot faster now instead of just slowwwly putting you down on the track and how the blue shell doesn't make you fly 10 feet into the air. It's just those damn shells!

And yeah, I have also noticed how sometimes nothing happens in the race to knock you out of first place position, but then in another race you get hit by a shell at the last minute and end up losing first place, screwing everything up! This happened to me once in bloody 50cc mode and It's SO inconsistent! It sounds like the online makes it worse. T.T

I've applied the randomised Sunday rules to the Daily Tourney so feel free to check em out and get a practice round in unless you'd prefer to be surprised later on.

I'm not sure if the rule change has wiped the past results, so in case it has, I'll just record here that MickX won Friday and Saturday's tourneys.

I think EVERYONE like Rainbow Road 64 tongue.png

I like Rainbow Road 64.

In Mario Kart 64. Mario Kart 8's version is much too short for my tastes. =|

So I played a couple of cups on mirror mode...

Fuck green shells.

Fuck red shells.

Fuck blue shells.

Fuck the AI.

Fuck frantic mode.

It's really a struggle to stay I first place on these, and I've only done the first and fifth cups. :/

Sheesh, I must have astounding luck because I almost never get Red Shells when I'm in first place. =/ Freaking bananas tend to be more threatening to me. I worse luck with Green Shells, but not by much and even Blue Shells haven't caused me too much grief. Except for this one time on Mario Kart Stadium where I got hit just before crossing the finish line.

So, just the Gold Glider to go, and I've completed all the parts.

Why is there no way at all to see your coin count? That's another niggle I have with this game. With MK7 we had the entire stats of wins v losses, coin count, VR all in one section of the menu. Here, we don't even get wins v losses, just VR. And even then that's only when online.

Either way, got the last few Mirror Cups done with at least one star each, then launched into two lots of sixteen random team races. An average of three coins coins earned.

I think EVERYONE like Rainbow Road 64 :P

Its okay, but its too short, its one of my least favorite stage.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oddly enough, I find it really... a mixed bag. Yeah, I'm more the person who wants to be in at least 6th, but it's okay either way.

However, I can agree that Items are really bonkers when it comes to when you get them and where. I've gotten more Stars in second place then I can count. And that's...just...weird to me. And these were races with 12 people too, not just one on one or something.

Honestly, I will say that while all you seem to be on the bad side, where all you're getting are the crap items, I seem to be getting all the good items, right when I need them and where I need them. And that's just not fun for me, cause c'mon. Where's the challenge?

I'm one of the people who couldn't care about the item balance. I always seem to manage well enough even without massive boosts with items. On Friday I'll be seeing how good the item balance really is though, with a local multiplayer match with some friends who aren't exactly pros.

So I just finished my set of races on the randomised Daily Tourney, how did everyone find it, a fun change of pace I hope?

My only fear is when I quit, I saw we had uneven teams in the results. Without any formal way to manage that I might have to ignore the possibility of team races for future sundays. I suppose one way to solve it would be to give unofficial victory to whoever has the highest average score across all players on the team.

Yeah, team ended up uneven for most part. When I first joined I got a prompt asking which team I wanted to be in, so I thought players would be automatically put in the opposing team whenever numbers were uneven.

I guess people prefer Sanic over Buffles. cool.png

EDIT: I wonder, maybe remove the # of races for Team VS and leave everyone able to race until midnight? That way no team members "fall off" after a while and it might even up the numbers.

Yeah it was like five against two in the end, lawl. I played my last race without bothering with teams because of it. Hopefully I'll be around for more racing next time.

Racing was fun tonight though the item balancing reared it's ugly head during tonight. I received three red shells which I had to chuck at the same person and then for one final kick in the teeth the game decided to make me pure evil and give me a blue shell right after it. still lost to the guy though and I'm happier that I did. I'm going to try and make my Mii more recognisable (red t-shirt) since my username won't fit so I'm stuck with Liam at the moment.

Am I being really stupid, or does this game just not have a map aside from the one on the GamePad? Cause if so, that's really lame. The pad is too far away from the TV to be able to look at in the middle of the action, plus it means that one the player with the GamePad gets a look in if you're playing multiplayer. It's very irritating. On MKDS/MK7 it worked fine cause the second screen was directly below the main one, and every player of course had their own screen to look at.

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I being really stupid, or does this game just not have a map aside from the one on the GamePad? Cause if so, that's really lame. The pad is too far away from the TV to be able to look at in the middle of the action, plus it means that one the player with the GamePad gets a look in if you're playing multiplayer. It's very irritating. On MKDS/MK7 it worked fine cause the second screen was directly below the main one, and every player of course had their own screen to look at.

I agree, it is lame. When I first played I used Wii Remote alone and was endlessly confused at the lack of displays.  When I used the pad on multiplayer, I insist on switching to off-TV mode out of sportsmanship to ensure I have no access to extra information.

Racing was fun tonight though the item balancing reared it's ugly head during tonight. I received three red shells which I had to chuck at the same person and then for one final kick in the teeth the game decided to make me pure evil and give me a blue shell right after it. still lost to the guy though and I'm happier that I did. I'm going to try and make my Mii more recognisable (red t-shirt) since my username won't fit so I'm stuck with Liam at the moment.

Last night we were playing Frantic mode so item balance was deliberately a little haywire.

Last night we were playing Frantic mode so item balance was deliberately a little haywire.

Ah, that explains it! I'll admit I haven't played much of the online so I completely forgot to have a peer at the settings before jumping on.

Mario Kart 8 retains the #2 spot in the UK Charts in its second week

Pretty good news for Nintendo, and glad to see that the Mario Kart 8 hype train wasn't just a one week wonder in terms of sales - let's hope the momentum keeps on going for weeks to come! Assuming this trend is also true around the globe, Nintendo can feel at least a little bit less worried about the Wii U going into E3 this week, and if they can really drop some megatons to get people even more interested in their console, it may yet have a chance of being salvaged from total doom.

• Thumbs Up 4

IMO playing with the GamePad is more difficult to see the map/standings unless I'm sitting semi-lied down in the couch, otherwise I need to look down and completely miss the action for a second. I guess people who play different controllers and have the GamePad set up near the TV have an easier time looking at the mini-map and stuff.

But yeah, I definitely would have preferred a map on the TV at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

The complete lack of an options menu for this stuff is the most ridiculous thing. What's the point of having so many controller options if the GamePad is going to have such a huge advantage, and you can't customize the controls at all?

• Thumbs Up 5

I agree, I really would like to have on-screen map and race time as optional HUD displays.

While I do always switch to the map on the gamepad, I pretty much only look at it on long straightways and automated cannon launch areas etc.  The map itself isn't that much of an advantage since the only info you usually need is "do I have a big lead or not" in 1st place which can be deduced from the music, but knowing what items your rivals have is most certainly a big advantage that non-gamepad users don't get.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it me or does the blooper make you extra slippery with your drifts?

I always feel like I'm slipping away from the inner curve every time I drift while the ink is on me.

But I'm not sure if it was me just drifting poorly or something.

Is it me or does the blooper make you extra slippery with your drifts?

I always feel like I'm slipping away from the inner curve every time I drift while the ink is on me.

But I'm not sure if it was me just drifting poorly or something.

I don't think the Blooper actually affects your performance, but the fact it skews some of your perspective when going around bends definitely can make it harder to nail a tight drift.

Wish I can try and compare with drifting a tight turn verses drifting a tight turn while blooper inked you.

I read on TV tropes that the Blooper does indeed physically affect your drifting/turning in this game.

I read on TV tropes that the Blooper does indeed physically affect your drifting/turning in this game.

It does? Heh, well in that case it's definitely more effective here than it's been in any previous game then. I thought any changes were just psychological from the lack of a clear view of the track, but it would make sense for it to affect your driver's steering as well if they've got ink all over their face.

It's the teeny little touches like this that make me really love this game. Even stuff like snow and sand collecting on your kart/bike's tyres as you drive along is seriously cool attention to detail.