Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Because of work I haven't had the chance to dive into this game completely, but the little I have played has made me liked this game. At the same time though, I feel like this game is a little bit too safe. It almost feel like at times they wanted to push the envelope on some stuff from the gameplay, levels music etc etc but didn't for some reason or another.

Last year I played this game during the Best Buy E3 event, and I was a little disappointed in the anti-gravity mechanic. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, but now playing the game I think it was a waste of gameplay mechanic. Or at least it wasn't as utilized as let's say the transforming mechanic in All-Star Transformed.

Talking about Transformed, I think both franchises can learn from each other. Mario Kart needs the "bravado/pushing the envelope" of All-Star Transformed, while Transformed needs some of the "stability/refinement" of Mario Kart.

Either way, MK8 is a solid game that I think every Wii U owner should own.

Oh and I'm old school so I just use Mario when I go online, at least it gets me results:

20140611_065244_zps11ece0c7.jpeg
20140611_063525_zps4a16b9a7.jpeg
20140611_064031_zpsa145c6b9.jpeg20140616_013553_zps903702a7.jpeg

I swear that Michele guy was born to play this game, he was hard player to beat all the time.

I got the game recently and will happily race you guys, keeping in mind that I have not unlocked the last cup for retro courses or the Special Cup yet. I do have 6 secret characters as of now thanks to playing 100cc and 50cc. So far, I can now see the difference between a PS3 and a Gamecube in terms of graphics, given how they brightly enhanced Dry Dry Dessert from the Double Dash days. I seem to stick with Toad a lot.

Toad's Turnpike has been reborn as a work of art! :)

I have a real problem with Dolphin Shoals. I love the track and love the music, just everytime I race it in the 150 or mirror cups I always find it so hard to stay up front, its mainly that last couple of corners before the finish line, i just cant drift around them, and i cant go around them normally, i always end up going offroad.

I have a real problem with Dolphin Shoals. I love the track and love the music, just everytime I race it in the 150 or mirror cups I always find it so hard to stay up front, its mainly that last couple of corners before the finish line, i just cant drift around them, and i cant go around them normally, i always end up going offroad.

After the glider bit it's a really good idea to land early rather than gliding for as long as possible, if you purposefully land sooner rather than later you can start drifting earlier/have better control over the turn and that last bit before the goal will be easier to deal with.

• Thumbs Up 2

Triple Mushrooms:The game. If anything, this one is skewed toward screwing over people lagging behind than the one in the first. All I got was triple mushrooms that entire Sunshine Airport race in the Community.

Pffff, funny but kind of true. Actually I'd like to see Angsty Teen Mario in the game just for the lulz. XP And maybe Teen Peach!

As for Dolphin Shoals, that's one of the few stages that I still can't master properly. It's a shame too because the track itself is gorgeous to look at and the music is brilliant! Other stages I have trouble with are Rainbow Road (IN SPAAAAACE!), Dry Bones Desert and Mount Wario.

I dunno what it is about Dolphin Shoal, but yeah I totally suck at that stage too. It just never works out for me. And on the subject it's a total shame that the underwater music plays most of the time on that stage when the on-land version is a million times sexier.

• Thumbs Up 2

Note to self: Always vote for Dolphin Shoals.

Something tells me that (providing you aren't racing with Felix), Mount Wario will infuriate more players. Or at the very least it'll make me rage quit.

I just feel Dolphin Shoals is the stage A.I. like to gang up on you the most. For some reason the game loves to give me triple red shells and triple mushrooms during the third lap that pushes me to first.

At least Mount Wario has parts that can make you catch up if you fall behind.

You know, I still really hate that Lightning makes you drop your item. I was in first place just now and had a Super Horn. But then someone else used Lightning and made me drop it, only for the player in second to immediately pick up a red shell. Fuck off...

• Thumbs Up 1

Why do people hate Mount Wario so much, exactly? Is it just because Felix kept picking it?

It's not really a brilliant stage to begin with. But yeah, I got bloody sick of it before long and just don't want to see it any more.

Compared to the rest of them I don't see it to be that special, yes. Not quite sure I've picked out a favorite yet, but I like Sunshine Airport and Toad Harbor.

Compared to the rest of them I don't see it to be that special, yes. Not quite sure I've picked out a favorite yet, but I like Sunshine Airport and Toad Harbor.

Those two are definitely amongst my faves. SA always gets picked on race though, and TH is one the best battle stages (note to SSMB: play battle mode). And other than that I quite like Electrodome and Skytop Cruise. They'd be my top picks.

Battle mode is actualy pretty fun with friends, arenas would have perfected it, but the mechanics themselves aren't too bad, I'd be up to an SSMB Battle tourney

Pro tip: during battle mode you can do a quick turn, if you start drifting and let go of the accelerator but keep holding the drift and direction, you will do a quick 180 degree turn.

Useful of you wanna go chasing after someone who's just passed you

I personally find Mount Wario very sexy...I..I mean...fun. It's difficult at times depending on which vehicle you use, but I think it's a good track. I'm happy that Felix picks it all the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I also have to side with JezMM with Mount Wario being one of the best courses in this game. I'd actually put it on my list of my all time favorite courses in the Mario Kart series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mount Wario is easily one of my favourite tracks too. As JezMM says, it's just a non-stop whirlwind tour of variety of creativity. Whereas in most other Mario Kart tracks you see the same old things three times over - and even in other other single lap courses, you're basically just racing on a long samey road - Mount Wario never has you doing the same thing twice. One minute you're leaping out of a plane onto a snowy mountain, then you're gliding through an icy cavern, racing along the side of a dam, weaving your way through a forest, and finally taking part in a downhill ski slalom. That's an insane amount of variety for a Mario Kart track.

And if nothing else, it provides a much better Winter Olympics sensation than anything Mario & Sonic have ever produced :P

Dolphin Shoals, Shy Guy Falls and Bone Dry Dunes are probably the three tracks I have the most difficulty with though. There's always one little niggly part of the tracks that I can't quite master - like taking the higher route after gliding in Shy Guy Falls and landing straight in some grass... and I don't think I've ever successfully attempted to reach the higher route after the glider section in Bone Dry Dunes.

• Thumbs Up 4