Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Well yeah, you can do one lap of N64 Rainbow Road in like an average of 1:30-40, depending on how much item whack you get and how tight you're able to nail the course. 2 laps would push it to 3:15 or something, which compared to every other track feels quite long (2:00-2:15 race time average, depends on the course). And yet not overwhelmingly long to the point of making people leave the online lobby early either, as it would be with 3 laps.

The records for Time Trials kinda show it too. The top players are already down to the 1:19 range, meanwhile Mario Kart Stadium is the 2nd closest time that comes to mind and it's in the 1:39 range. It's quite a gap...

Edited by MickX
  • Thumbs Up 1

They need to make Lightweights more viable in this game.

I don't know, but MK7, they were a lot more useful as the Featherweights had higher speed of 3.00 and much more higher acceleration, but in this game they just feel so useless cause they are not only slow as hell with the Babies having a measly 2.25 Speed and Toad, Shy guy and others in their class with 2.75 Speed, but they also have pitiful acceleration now too, which sucks cause their Accel should be as high as their handling, but stupid Nintendo goofed as usual.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm now just getting the gold glider. Anyone got the gold wheels yet?

Edit: nevermind,  Tracker just told me that you gotta beat every staff ghost to get the wheels lol.

Well did anyone get the Gold glider yet?

Well did anyone get the Gold glider yet?

Not yet. Working towards it, but no idea how far away I am from it because there's no coin counter in this game.

I could hit 10,000 in my next race, or it could be hours away yet. All I can really say for sure is that I'm over 3,000 because I've stopped unlocking kart parts, and I've played a lot since then so... I'd like to think I'm not too far away?

Well, I've now finally gotten my hands on this game. SO I must ask, how exactly does the Mario Kart TV and uploading to youtube mechanic work?

Well, I've now finally gotten my hands on this game. SO I must ask, how exactly does the Mario Kart TV and uploading to youtube mechanic work?

After each race you get the option to View Highlight Reel, or you can access Mario Kart TV from the main menu (which saves your most recent race highlights as well as up to 6 favourite highlights). From there, you can edit the options (like time, what type of thing to include, characters to focus on, etc) and then upload it to Miiverse and YouTube. It's a fairly simple and intuitive system when you actually go into it, as long as you follow the on-screen instructions you can't go too far wrong.

Uploading to YouTube takes a little while though, so prepare to be a little patient with it.

Time for my list of Retro tracks.

This one is gonna be hard to list out because most of them are just good normal tracks so Im mostly gonna list them on how much I replay them.

16. Rainbow Road N64

Yea this track is just too short for me. I think it would of been better if it did 2 laps and plus its one of my most weakest tracks in the game, I seem to loose by the AI almost every time. I try to stay first the whole race but the blue will eventually come for me and then I barley have time trying to catch up because most items are useless in this place, you either want a red shell, or a blue shell to catch up and since the mushrooms are much slower in this game its useless in this course. And im also not a fan of the final stretch being a flying section making it extra hard to hit them with a green shell or a banana which is important because that's all we get in 1st or second. The music is perfect though so its not all that bad. But the track looks soo good with the city down below and all the floating trains throwing coins at you, its a good looking track.

15. Yoshi Valley.

This course plays good and the maze thing would confuse a few people at first but once you find out the fastest route, there is no point in going in other paths because its actually a big difference for some paths and so it gets kinda dull after wards but not that much because I still enjoy it because I'm pretty good at the track and I love the music but I hardly come back to this stage due to other tracks I love playing over and over again.

14. Royal Raceway.

Call it Royal Driftway lol but I like drifting and its satisfying making those turns right and rewarded with a mini boost and the graphics is beautiful in this place with all the pink leaves flying all over the place with toads in their hot balloons. But I barely come back to this stage mostly because its not that amazing of a track. The music is alright, its a classic but I don't really enjoy this remix as I do with other ones like Tick Tock Clock and Rainbow Road N64.

13.  Cheep Cheep Beach 

Look at this nice looking track, they put in a lot of detail into this track especially the ocean parts. They even have an that is shaped like a koopa troopa and a small island that piantas are watching from. Im pretty good at this track, not hard to master it but most times its easy to get from green shells and stuff and its a bit harder to catch up a bit. Pretty much you can catch up by the wide open sections at the beach were the AI would stay on land and avoid going underwater which is a slower path. The item placement is pretty good in this track. Not too far apart. I wish there were a few in the wide open area.

12. Toads Turnpike

This stage was a letdown to be honest, I still like it but its pace is too too slow. When I imagine the HD remake for this course I would expect it to be a fast highway with cars coming going forward and mirror mode would be backwards but this time the traffic is so slow and its wide open and the items are too far apart. They should of had the items come to you instead of away from you. But either way the stage looks great and they put a lot of detail into the cars and trucks and the high buildings. The Music is alright but it doesn't have that same feeling of the original. It's an okay remix but I think i'm leaning towards the old one.

11. Donut Plains 3

A nice Simple retro track were its just straight driving with no gimmicks, well except for the water sections but they were usually only on for like 2 seconds. This track looks great especially since it's from the first Mario kart and they got puddles in there looking great with HD and everything else just looks so good. But its not a track I would dominate in mostly because of the puddles which makes you a bit slippery and that always seems to slow me down. The music is nice though, I like how the whistle comes in for the extra beat when your in first but I wish it was always there because the whistle was in the old one.

10. Dry Dry Desert

A nice sandy track with a nice remix to the old one. The track is fun and the slippery sand isn't that much trouble for this stage because the way its design so its easy making some tight turns without slowing down or going off course.  The underwater section is kinda weird because doing tricks in on the bumps and the holes that blow you up really slows you down especially the holes on the ground. The items at the last section is too far away from the finish line and definitely needs some in the water section to do a last minute catch up. 

9. Mario Circuit

Nice small simple track. I like what they did with adding the anti gravity section by tilting the U part of the course which is a nice touch. The Remix is really good, I like all the jazz they added to it and fits in with the stage and so it does a really great job with it. They also added some other things like some Tires on the side and a flying section on the side.

8. DK Jungle.

One of my favorite courses in MK7 and I'm glad its back and boy did they do a great job updating it in HD because it looks great. I love it. The track design is still great and easy to master and the items stayed the same so its still good. The music is the same which is okay because it was already great but a more remixed one would of done it better but still great either way.

7. Moo Moo Meadows

I loved it in Wii and I love it even more in this version. Its now taken place at sunrise, so the racers are up and early racing through a beautiful farm with cows all around and they don't get in the way as much in Wii which is good. The music is really good, the violin player went all out for this course by adding in some new mixes to keep it fresh and I really love it. It's a great small track and I'm glad it has returned.

6. Music Park

A track filled with instruments that plays themselves which and they made it a nice looking course. The track design is great!  I kinda wish they updated it but gotta have one track to stay exactly the same to the original and good thing this track was already good on its own. It was also one of my favorites in MK7 and im glad its back. I still love the music notes and being able to play the piano while driving and its nice to hear because it still plays with the music.

5. Sherbet Land

I always love snow/ice theme race tracks in Mario kart games because they always have great music and great track design and this updated one made me love it more because they really did good with this one. I love the night time look, it looks better and the music now has a Christmas tone to it which I like. They even added an underwater section to punish those who fallen off the course because those sections are longer so you don't wanna fall off or you might loose your place.  Dominating this stage is satisfying with the great music and the extra beat when in first.

4. Grumble Volcano

This track has this intense feeling every time I race on it because of the awesome music that gets you pumping and the many structures falling apart that makes the track a bit harder throughout the race which always been nice. This track wasn't my preferred tracks to return but they still did a very good job updating it and now I love it. They did a great job with the details to the stage like inside the cave actually looks like a cave and the blast of the volcano is pretty epic to watch and it feels like a crazy track but not too crazy for me. I dominate this stage.

3. Wario Stadium. 

This track took me awhile to master with its tight turns and hard tricks to keep pull off safely without hitting a wall or going off course. Once I mastered it, it became one of my favorite retro tracks and I find myself coming back to it almost every time I play the game. They did a great job updating this stage especially the Anti gravity part because seeing the original was just a simple twist and turn and they really got creative with that part and I used to always fall of because of its tight turn.  I love the Waluigi Pinball music, its such a catchy song and I didn't even realize this stage had the same music as Waluigi Pinball. Blame Brawl.

2. Tick Tock Clock

This stage wow'd me just by comparing to the original track because it used to be just and empty clock room but now its a full working Clock factory and everything is ticking and tocking to the music which is awesome. The music is so catchy I simply love it, I'm super happy that they went with this stage from the DS because it was so different than some from that game and the level design is just too good. I dominate so easily in this stage that it's just natural for me to be winning (for most games actually lol). The track design is really nice, adding in a flying section at one part and creating shortcuts using clock hands.

1. Piranha Plant Slide.

This was my favorite new track in MK7 and now it's my favorite retro track in MK8. Seriously, this track is just perfect, the beginning is great with the stream of water speeding you up making it start out fast and pulling those tight turns is satisfying to pull of while dodging many things that comes your way and they changed up the underwater section into a huge underwater base and made it into anti grav mode and honestly they did super great with that part. I wish the colors were more bright and now the Mario type colors and stuff now look too realistic but that's the least of my problems because it still looks great in HD. The items are placed together perfectly and I never feel like getting an item takes a long time to come. I love it, we need more levels like this.

Short version

16. Rainbow Road N64

15. Yoshi Valley

14. Royal Raceway

13. Cheep Cheep Beach

12. Toads Turnpike

11. Donut Plains 3

10. Dry Dry Desert

9. Mario Circuit

8. DK Jungle

7. Moo Moo Meadows

6. Music Park

5. Sherbet Land

4. Grumble Volcano

3. Wario Stadium

2. Tick Tock Clock

1. Piranha Plant Slide.

Agree? Disagree?

• Thumbs Up 1

To be able to view multiple racers or the entire race in the highlight reel, you have to get to the edit option.

Had a race with a couple of friends the other night and totally owned Bowsers Castle like a boss. Even dodged a blue shell with a mushroom too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I made a battle tournament since I remember some SSMB Members actually enjoying it.  The code is 3701-2079-9069. I made the rounds last 5 minutes but I can change that before it actually activates on Friday night.

I FINALLY have the game. Here are my thoughts:

The game is pretty good. Not outstanding, but honestly I wasn't expecting outstanding. The Karts feel more satisfying to drive. The track design is a bit tamer than it was in the more chaotic Mario Kart Wii, but I do love the amount of branching paths. Antigravity is a fun little gimmick, I think, but the gliding and underwater sections haven't added much to the experience so far. 

The music and graphics do blow me away. This is probably one of Nintendo's strongest efforts, presentation wise.

Battle mode sucks, but we've gone over that. 

Overall, I like it. I wouldn't call it worth the full $60, but the free game helps with that.

I wouldn't call it worth the full $60

Eh.. considering I had 500 hours on Mario Kart Wii alone, $60 is well worth the investment.

$10 to see a movie (2 hours)

$50 to go to an amusement park (12 hours)

$5021050250205025 to go on vacation (100 hours)

$60 Mario Kart 8 (Infinite hours)

>: )

• Thumbs Up 1

Despite this practically being my first Mario Kart game, I've picked up on it quite well, with a killer start yesterday. Here's a "King of the Seas" run of moi.

Just revealed on the Wii U UK Facebook page... the Mercedes Benz GLA-class SUV DLC is confirmed for the UK (and presumably Europe)!

Take a new Mercedes Benz GLA-class SUV for a spin in the Mushroom Kingdom, with a special GLA-class kart planned to drift onto Mario Kart 8 as additional content this summer! 

EDIT: Ninja'd! Dammit Wil! :P in any case, this is good to see - let's hope it opens the floodgates for more DLC to come!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh; don't come to the US please.

I regret to inform you then that Nintendo of America has also tweeted that they'll be releasing the Mercedes-Benz DLC.

I don't see what the issue is with a piece of free DLC, anyway. It won't cost you anything and you'll never have to use it if you don't have to, it's just a nice bonus and a weirdly interesting crossover.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see what the issue is with a piece of free DLC, anyway. It won't cost you anything and you'll never have to use it if you don't have to, it's just a nice bonus and a weirdly interesting crossover.

It's blatant product placement. People don't like to be advertised to in their down time.

Luigi gun be pimpin it in a Merc yo.

I'm hoping this is a sign of more DLC. It would be great to get new characters and vehicle parts.

I regret to inform you then that Nintendo of America has also tweeted that they'll be releasing the Mercedes-Benz DLC.

Bah. At least it's free. I would be desperately sour if you had to pay for it. Now let's hope it's stats aren't the best in the game. 

It's blatant product placement. People don't like to be advertised to in their down time.

It's hardly in your face, though. It's just a new kart that you'll see pop up when it downloads (assuming it downloads automatically, you may have to do it manually like with the Sonic Lost World DLC) and then never look at again if you don't want to.

Nintendo could be doing a hell of a lot worse. And frankly, in these desperate financial times for them, can you really blame them for cashing in on some marketing opportunities?

I'm not saying product placement is fully justified, but for what it's worth this is tiny compared to what other companies do. Doritos and Mountain Dew, anyone?

• Thumbs Up 1

ivn31f5aC1OSl.jpg

Nintendo said they were going to be doing these things because no one was buying the Wii U. Until things get better, I'd say just suck it up. Especially when you don't have to pay for it.

Hell, not only do you not have to pay for it, you don't even have to download it in the first place. It's completely optional.

But yeah, here's hoping it doesn't have broken stats.

It apparently isn't usable online. So even if it did have broken stats, you won't see everyone spamming it. Speaking of combinations, what does SSMB favor? I favor a super heavy on the pipe frame or Flame Rider with slick wheels.