Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

I used to be Peach/Pink Gold Peach on Pipe Frame with Slick and plane glider, but now I've been using Peach/PGP/Rosalina on Comet with Azure roller and plane glider.

I like to try out different combos but my main is flame rider with crimson slim wheels and I use cloud glider because it looks good.

I pretty much use this combo with anyone, it doesn't matter who but I mostly use my favorite like Luigi or shy guy.

Speaking of combinations, what does SSMB favor? I favor a super heavy on the pipe frame or Flame Rider with slick wheels.

Every daily meetup from the SSMB tourney I always went in with a different combo for kicks, or sometimes to test out it's viability in the evil harsh online grounds. I love to experiment with the game.

However I can say I like the Standard Kart a lot, with Pipe Frame second (as well as similar vehicles, such as the Cat Cruiser or the Standard Bike). Or so it was, until the constant chaos of the pack in 6000+ races made me try the Roller wheels on a super heavyweight. Now I find myself having trouble playing anything else! It feels really great as an all-around combo, and the recovery is very nice (3 Acceleration).

I find it a bit appalling I can't use my lightweight favourite Baby Peach though. The stat spread favours the heavier characters so much in this game, it's a shame... From what I've heard lightweights had a niche in MK7 in water levels. Now if you want raw land, air, water AND anti-gravity speed, you may as well pick Bowser or something since his class is the fastest in every category...

Lightweights are nerfed in this game because of one part.

Azure Roller Wheels.

They have so much acceleration that to give lightweights anything more than three in acceleration will effectively break the game with certain combos.

Using the featherweight class of Mario Kart 7 [4] and adding the highest accelerating kart of MK8 [+1.25], and then Azure Roller's acceleration [+1], you are already at 6.25/6.00 acceleration. And then the .25 of certain gliders makes that 6.5/6.00.

Now that might not seem a problem when the game round those numbers down, but a max stat in acceleration would break the race, especially as even with 5.00 acceleration you can very nearly pull away from a stop to full speed instantly.

With all the shit I get hit with, and the lack of anything to defend me against it, I might as well use that broken combo where I have 4.25 Speed and 4 acceleration.

Mostly because I've yet to unlock any bikes really yet (really want the Comet or the other one with the same stats (forgot name)), Shy Guy on the Sports Bike with the slim red wheels/cyber slick wheels and regular standard glider thing is the cats pajamas, but that's just for my play style anyways. It's probably the lack of weight when I try them, but the drift on the karts throw me off big time after using bikes for basically the entire game, so I kinda avoid karts all together *shrugs*. 

SSMB Daily Tourney Winners for Week 3:

Fri 13th June
Brad

Sat 14th June
MickX

Sun 15th June

Random Rules Sunday: Mirror / No Teams / Bob-ombs Only / Bikes Only / Easy CPU
Strickerx5

Mon 16th June
Brad

Tue 17th June
Felix

Wed 18th June
MickX

Thu 19th June
Panda Cero

Due to the CPUs just being annoying and interfering with the actual human players, I'll be retiring it as a possible randomised rule for Sundays.

• Thumbs Up 2

Some have been complaining lately and I ask for those who've played with me online in the past: have I ever disappeared, teleported, or have jittery movements? There's nothing wrong on my end, oddly enough.

That's how it works. You don't notice anything on your end, but connection issues between you and the other players can cause you to appear in wrong parts of the course, so that when they think they hit you with an item they really didn't. I haven't really seen it happen with any players other than Japanese or Australians though, so that's kind of odd.

Spinny set this up a while back, but I don't think he ever posted it.

If anyone wants to compare their time trial times to others on the site, you can post your times here: http://1drv.ms/T9YQmt

To make changes to the spreadsheet, simply click the "Edit in Browser" button. It will allow you to add whatever you like. When you add a time in, make sure to change the number format to "Text", otherwise it will screw everything up and turn it into some funky decimal.

Spinny set this up a while back, but I don't think he ever posted it.

If anyone wants to compare their time trial times to others on the site, you can post your times here: http://1drv.ms/T9YQmt

To make changes to the spreadsheet, simply click the "Edit in Browser" button. It will allow you to add whatever you like. When you add a time in, make sure to change the number format to "Text", otherwise it will screw everything up and turn it into some funky decimal.

Cool, I got all the new tracks in so far. 

My Mario Kart 8 experience in a nutshell.

rub-it-in-your-face-middle-finger-in-you

Yeah, that middle finger's very prominent in this game whenever I play it. But I'll be honest here... I can sit here and fume about constantly getting BS items in BS positions, recieve item coins out the ass whenever I'm in the top 3 spots only to have someone near me get a red shell or three, being constantly pummeled by random items by who-knows -- who's not aiming even aiming at me -- from miles away and being the recieving end of a conga line of pain occasionally after I'm hit...

But why do that? Something about this game keeps drawing me back into it no matter where that middle finger goes or how hard it's beaten into my face. I love playing this game, but damn, sometimes I wonder why when it seems Iike I lose most of races because I'm in a situation I can't do jack about. I just keep getting back up and hoping for the best.

• Thumbs Up 3

I might get around to filling all my time trials in but for now I won't. Although I am very proud of my non-firehopping time trial of 1:27.914 for Donut Plains :) 

I might get around to filling all my time trials in but for now I won't. Although I am very proud of my non-firehopping time trial of 1:27.914 for Donut Plains :)

Even though I fire hopped in my trails, I'll try to beat this time without fire hopping. I'll probably get a video to show proof but it'll be from my phone so it won't look good.

Even though I fire hopped in my trails, I'll try to beat this time without fire hopping. I'll probably get a video to show proof but it'll be from my phone so it won't look good.

You don't need to prove it smile.png I'm hoping that people here wouldn't lie about their time trials. There's no need to! 

I've seen your times and you must be pretty good! smile.png

Edit: I have now posted all of my times in the spreadsheet!

• Thumbs Up 1

You don't need to prove it :) I'm hoping that people here wouldn't lie about their time trials. There's no need to!

I've seen your times and you must be pretty good! :)

Edit: I have now posted all of my times in the spreadsheet!

I must say though, you must of done a really good job on that run because your non fire hop run is really good. so far i'm only getting 1:30 without fire hopping.

For other times I fire hopped.

Have people here never played a Nintendo game?

*pik snip*

To play... well, my own advocate, there's an art to advertising organically. For instance, in Zombieland, Twinkies work well into the script both because of the film's pop culture leanings as well as proper comic writing concerning the product. Likewise, the Pikmin 2 product placement works well to sell the audience on the idea that Olimar and Louie could be exploring in your very backyard! etc. None of that is to say that it's not still product placement, but it's product placement that justifies its own existence within the work. By contrast, the Mercedes-Benz is just... there. It just is. It feels jarring and artificial because it serves no purpose within the world itself except to sell people Mercedes-Benz in real life.

To be clear, I do understand that my initial comment was a rather short-sighted one, and I wasn't thinking clearly. However, that doesn't mean that product placement is alright here just because it is elsewhere under different circumstances, largely... because it's under different circumstances.

• Thumbs Up 3

*gif*

Yeah, that middle finger's very prominent in this game whenever I play it. But I'll be honest here... I can sit here and fume about constantly getting BS items in BS positions, recieve item coins out the ass whenever I'm in the top 3 spots only to have someone near me get a red shell or three, being constantly pummeled by random items by who-knows -- who's not aiming even aiming at me -- from miles away and being the recieving end of a conga line of pain occasionally after I'm hit...

But why do that? Something about this game keeps drawing me back into it no matter where that middle finger goes or how hard it's beaten into my face. I love playing this game, but damn, sometimes I wonder why when it seems Iike I lose most of races because I'm in a situation I can't do jack about. I just keep getting back up and hoping for the best.

^^This basically. I don't actually own the game, but I think I've played enough of it to form some conclusion of the game. Sometimes I think about why I keep wanting to go back to Mario Kart 8, and end up thinking that it's because MK8 doesn't piss me off as much as Mario Kart Wii did. Turned off and gave up on Mario Kart Wii more than enough times, but Mario Kart 8 feels a little more...inviting.

I must say though, you must of done a really good job on that run because your non fire hop run is really good. so far i'm only getting 1:30 without fire hopping.

For other times I fire hopped.

Thanks man, I was competing with a friend so I just did it over and over again til I beat him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

*snip*

It's all you really can do, man. Mario Kart has always been more of a game of luck, and this one doesn't seem any less of it (perhaps more). For all the punishment you take, there's another moment where you see someone else get themselves stuck in a terrible situation, and it's hilarious.

1:28.202 donut plains with no fire hopping. I'm close to beating JBrewer!

I've done it! 1:27.665 no fire hop! Boy that was pretty hard. But I feel I could sub 1:25 with no fire hop because I've made some mistakes.

Time to see what time I can get with fire hopping.

And things are much harder doing the fire hops :/ oh well.

SNES Donut Plains 3 - 1:15.938 - ALAKTORN (Mario …: http://youtu.be/HKVqsr0GfM0

Jesus man....

I guess better handling is big on this course.

1:28.202 donut plains with no fire hopping. I'm close to beating JBrewer!

I've done it! 1:27.665 no fire hop! Boy that was pretty hard. But I feel I could sub 1:25 with no fire hop because I've made some mistakes.

Time to see what time I can get with fire hopping.

And things are much harder doing the fire hops :/ oh well.

SNES Donut Plains 3 - 1:15.938 - ALAKTORN (Mario …: http://youtu.be/HKVqsr0GfM0

Jesus man....

I guess better handling is big on this course.

Good job man! I might try and beat your 1:27.665 tomorrow. I feel I can do slightly better than I did last time but I'll find out whether I can or not!

Yeah I've seen some of these WR holders and I really don't even want to bother trying to beat them. I prefer showing my skill online. That's the true test of how good you are! Against other humans with items. I'd love to race some of these guys with WR times and see if they are actually any good with their item usage :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1