Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Right, completed 50cc and well I've enjoyed the game so far. Sunshine Airport being one of my favourites next to Mario Kart Circuit, Piranha Plant Pipeway, Rainbow Road 64 (wish it was longer), Technodome and Wario Stadium at least at the moment. The least enjoyable course was Toad's Turnpike where it felt slow and a bit boring weaving though traffic (I can understand if it was more exciting in the N64 version).

The only problem would be that I wouldn't be good enough for online...

Something that I did notice though in the Sunshine Airport course straight away. Take a look at this:

ibnC80blxCguDY.jpgi0dXC1I6SC6C6.jpg

It is a concidence however there does seem to be a similarity between the fictional Sunshine Airport company and a Spanish bank [at first I thought the boomerang was a fancy V until looking closer]. It isn't the first time that Mario Kart had fictional companies that were close to real counterparts. In the Japanese version of Mario Kart 64, there were companies that were close such as Yoshi being similar to Mobil or Marioro being similar to Marlboro and they were changed in the US/PAL versions however in this case instead of using inspiration of the logos, this time it is one letter different and a slightly different font but in the same colour. I wonder how Nintendo or BBVA is going to react when either find out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jeez this game really needs a coin tally. I've been plugging away the last couple of days just endlessly playing race after race and trying to rack up as many coins as possible, all in the faint hope that I might spontaneously hit 10,000 and unlock the Gold Glider. Problem is, I have no idea how far away I am. I'm definitely over 3,000 as I stopped unlocking vehicle parts a long while ago, and I'm somewhere under 10,000... so... that doesn't exactly narrow things down, especially when the most you can get for playing through all thirty two tracks (which takes around 2 hours!) is 320 coins. Not even a third of a thousand. Screw doing that over and over again.

It's just annoying because I feel like I'm getting close but if I'm still a few thousand away, I don't want to waste my time pouring all this effort in for zero gain. I'd rather just casually play over time and when it unlocks, it unlocks. But it's the not knowing that bugs me, I feel like I could be on the cusp of triumph... but I could also be sorely deluded.

• Thumbs Up 3

this totally happened to me last weekend. Needless to say, the first time we saw it before I took the video, the ENTIRE ROOM was laughing. XD
  • Thumbs Up 3

I found this on Neogaf:

From Nintendo's AGM. Someone live-tweeting the event has shared that Mario Kart 8 has allegedly sold 2 million copies in 1 month world wide. 

The tweet also mentions a reported upturn in hardware sales for the Wii U. 

https://twitter.com/NStyles/status/482332552267436032

Rough translation:

From the looks of things, MK8 is looking to surpass Super Circuit if Nintendo plays their cards right. Nintendo said they have more advertisement for the game coming soon, so let's see what they make of it. 

Damn, so the game is already owned by 1/3 of the install base. Very impressive.

How much did Super Circuit sold?

About 5 million in it's lifespan on the GBA, while Double Dash sold close to 7mil. If 8 can make it to those numbers within it's life, then the system is definitely going to have healthier days. 

I believe Double dash didn't make it to a million until it's first month, (don't quote me on that), so MK8 looks like it could really save the Wii U from being abysmal. 

The "tree" entries on the Excel for Mount Wario made me chuckle. xD Gonna add my times as well. smile.png

On the subject of accomplishments...

tumblr_n7t1ogaCuc1rq7qxwo1_500.jpg

Mission complete. Also pretty irrelevant.

Every time I tried to input a time with the X:XX.XXX format, the document kept reading it like a clock time, so it rounded it off. Ah well, I made do with decimal points everywhere. tongue.png

The time trials I made were done with just Pipe Frame Kart and a different character everywhere except Metal Mario and Waluigi, and even then those two were used just twice. Maybe I'll get around to an individual character + a quicker kart tomorrow.

Glad I can keep up with some of y'all in these trials though. Except for Jords and Mick, you guys apparently put nitro in your karts. :V

• Thumbs Up 1

The "tree" entries on the Excel for Mount Wario made me chuckle. xD Gonna add my times as well. :)

On the subject of accomplishments...

tumblr_n7t1ogaCuc1rq7qxwo1_500.jpg

Mission complete. Also pretty irrelevant.

Can't say I'm not surprised you beat most my times, mostvwas just to get it over with so I can unlock wheels. But still good times though, I will try to beat some :)

Not tonight though. Headache :s

I've been wondering though, why some of you guys put tree in mount Wario?

Just got 1:26.963 on Donut Plains now :)

Still no fire hopping and I use Yoshi, pipe frame with slicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought I should probably explain my absence here. The past week has been very hectic for me and I've been upset about some stuff, and I just wasn't really in the mood for multiplayer games. I should be racing over the weekend if I feel better though. :)

Also, great to see that MK8 is selling so well!

Just beat it again but I fire hopped a little this time. 1:25 something. I turned it off and forgot the rest lol

• Thumbs Up 1

What is the point in having a community time trial spreadsheet, when people fucking fire hop?

• Thumbs Up 4

Fire hopping doesn't help. You may as well just focus on driving normally and items. It grants you a much better chance of winning than fire hopping.

Fire hopping doesn't help. You may as well just focus on driving normally and items. It grants you a much better chance of winning than fire hopping.

Well, its only good for the last turn and when your neck and neck with someone.

But that barely happens.

What is the point in having a community time trial spreadsheet, when people fucking fire hop?

If anything, there could be two spreadsheets, one were you can fire hop and one were you don't.

I'd participate in both, it depends if someone would make another one.

Yeah, on Donut Plains I fire hopped only the last turn before the line. And it does help, slightly. I raced my previous non fire hopped ghost and beat it by one second. But online, it's useless I think.

Not the fire hop argument again...

It could be water hop or slow hop for all the world would care, Nobuo still listed it in the Japanese game guide (or so I was told, I can't read Japanese). Nintendo is not going to do anything about it, either learn it or let it be by now. :/

The point of Time Trials is to go the fastest around the track. Categorize it if you must, but saying there's no point because of one technique is borderline silly. The technique is stupidly easy to pick up as well, plus, you don't spend 100% of your time hopping like you would snake in MKDS or wheelie in MKWii. The three are not on the same scale, unintended or not.

Sorry for the hot-headed answer, but as far as I feel about games and gamers, people can either sit there complaining or learn it, no matter how many days or weeks it takes. "Fire hopping" is ALL the depth MK8 has to offer, and even with hops the game is stupidly hard to stand out due to how prevalent the random item distribution is.

Just ignore the tech times (or make a indrift Bike chart) and develop your own fastest strat without being bothered by the WR runs. You don't HAVE to compete with the WRs, only with your friends... That's the point of the Excel sheet.

Edited by MickX
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well the point Soniko was trying to bring up is that people could be fire hopping without telling, or even without realizing they're doing it. I find myself doing it by muscle memory in time trials, while I kind of learned to avoid it in races because it usually does more harm than good there.

All my times on the spread sheet I fire hopped in, most of my times are beatable for now. Some trails I really tried are tick tock clock, Donut plains 3 and a acouple more that I don't remember.

I seriously cannot believe how rare the Bullet Bill is. I hardly get this item, like, EVER. Even in last place I'm always begging for the Bullet Bill but instead I keep getting mushrooms or a pathetic Blooper. >< I remember in DS and Wii the Bullet Bill turned up way more often than it does here!

This game man, this game..!

This game is slowly starting to become "Race to see how close you can get to 1st Place this time" instead of Race to win, based on my experience.

True talk, if you're a heavyweight with a Tri-Speeder/Mach 8/Sports Coupe and you sneak your way to 1st after the first two turns, You are hardly, if ever, going to lose. Second Place doesn't get nearly the amount of offensive items it needs, and all the red shells and Boomerangs are given to 3rd and lower which will, obviously, target second place, which means even more distance between second and first. Blue Shells are meant to stop that, sure, but now they hardly show up anymore.

Either second place needs to get more Red Shells to work with, or Red Shells themselves need to be altered so that they can target players a place ahead of the original target half the time. Otherwise, it's just a matter of picking Bowser/Morton/Pink Gold Peach and scrambling for that first turn.

Eh, eBay's not really a fantastic indicator unless those things are actually selling at those prices.