Awoo.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

I really don't want Retro to make a third DK game right after this one, it'd be the next "New Super Mario Bros." for me. I'd like to see them work on something else for a bit. It doesn't have to be Metroid specifically, but I wouldn't mind that either. When Retro DOES return with a DK game, I'd hope it's something 3D as opposed to another side-scroller. I would really like to see a 3D, modern Donkey Kong platformer.

I really don't want Retro to make a third DK game right after this one, it'd be the next "New Super Mario Bros." for me. I'd like to see them work on something else for a bit. It doesn't have to be Metroid specifically, but I wouldn't mind that either. When Retro DOES return with a DK game, I'd hope it's something 3D as opposed to another side-scroller. I would really like to see a 3D, modern Donkey Kong platformer.

So it was ok for them to make 3 metroid games back to back but not for DK. Plus if you look at it half the team was working on Mario kart 7 in between both Dk games

So it was ok for them to make 3 metroid games back to back but not for DK.

It wasn't "okay" so much as "necessary for a small-time developer." And Retro was the only thing Metroid had going for it for a while, really. DK seems to be slowly be given to Monster Games, and if their work on Donkey Kong: Trans-Female is any indication, the series is in good hands without Retro.

Much as I am a Metroid fan, I'm cool if Retro has decided that they've said their piece on the franchise. I just hope Nintendo gets someone who knows what they're doing/not Sakemoto to take up the reins from them, like they seem to be doing for DK.

Because reptiles are cold-blooded. Why would the Kremlings be in a game with a winter focus.

Why would the Kremlings be so obsessed with stealing a load of bananas? It's a video game.

Honestly, maybe Retro Studios SHOULDN'T do a new Metroid game. Maybe they should work on something... oh, I dunno, NEW? They did three Metroid games in a row, maybe they don't WANT to do another Metroid game at this point?

Personally, if Retro wants to do a new DKC game, go for it. I loved the original DKC games, far far moreso than the early Mario platformers. Would I mind if they wanted to do something new? No, of course not, they'd have a great run with DKCR and DKCTF, so whatever Retro wants to do I'd support it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wholeheartedly agreed with Nintendoga. I share the same feelings to how the fan base and the media disregard Retro Studios' work on DKC Tropical Freeze. From the fanbase perspective, I can understand when they give legit and respectful reasons based on their tastes such as not being a fan of Donkey Kong Country games or not a fan of platform games, that's cool; however, disregarding DKC Tropical Freeze because it's not a Metroid Prime or a new IP is a tremendous lack of respect towards Retro Studios. From the perspective of the video gaming media, aside from showing the aforementioned lack of respect it's highly unprofessional to show such disregard towards someone's work in general.

The fact is, as Nintendoga correctly pointed out, Retro Studios wanted to work on Tropical Freeze since they had plenty of ideas discarded from Returns, so it's not like Nintendo forced 'em to work on another Donkey Kong game and therefore I think people should respect their choice. Again, I am not saying you have to like or buy this game, but at least don't come off as a disrespectful spoiled brat just because Retro didn't work on a game that YOU wanted.

• Thumbs Up 7

People seem to forget that Retro wanted to work on the sequel to DKCR. It's not as if they're being forced against their will to work on this.

If they made a third game, I wouldn't mind. Would I want them to take another shot at Metroid or a new IP or even Zelda? Yeah, but  when it comes down to it, it's what they want to do rather then what the fans want them to do.

They're not wasting their talents on this game or making this game as filler just so the Wii-u can have something. They poured their hearts out while making DKCR (arguably one of the best platformers last gen), and Tropical Freeze, and it's sad to see a majority of fans do nothing but complain about how it's not "Metroid Prime 4".

It's also completely juvenile to even compare this to the NSMB series. Seriously? Common complaints of the NSMB series is that it's souless, mediocre, bland, and rehashy.

Does this game even remotely look like any of those four words I just said?

I'm not telling you to love this game or buy it day one. I don't care if you even hate it, but at least hate it for the right reasons.

"I don't like this game cause it doesn't look that fun."

"I'm not a DKC fan."

"There's nothing really throwing me in towards this."

That's fine.

"I don't like this cause Retro is wasting their talents on this."

"Retro should be doing Metroid Prime 4."

"I want to see a new IP, fuck this game."

That's utterly retarded.

You are so right man, they had many ideas for another DKC after Returns (underwater levels for example) and really, they wanted to make another DKC with litarly no flaws.

Sure, TF does have less levels than Returns, but what was the flaws of Returns?

• Weaker Soundtrack compared to past DKC games
  • Forced Motion Controls with Rolling, Ground Pound, and Blowing
  • Not enough animal buddies
  • Not enough of the Kong characters outside of Diddy, DK and Cranky

And with TF? Everything got better; David Wise making an outstanding soundtrack, can play the game with buttons rather than motion controls (and no more blowing), and more of the Kongs in the picture with Dixi Kong and Cranky Kong playable with Funky managing the shop. Even the enimes are more interesting that the Tiki's from Returns, so outside of not enough Animal Buddies (and maybe for classic fans no Krimlings), TF looks to take an amazing game and perfect aka a Mario Galaxy 2.

With that fans are still upset with Retro making DK? I fully understand that they want another Metriod game after that horrid mess that was Other M (my god man....that was horrible, that dam game even broke my Wii angry.png!), but wanting to force Retro to work on something many of the people there may not want to do (why else would much of the Prime team leave Retro after Prime 3?) is just wrong and frankly messed up.

I'm just happy that Tropical Freeze looks to be another amazing game by this amazing studio and I hope their next project is something even better :).

Tropical Freeze only sells just over 35,000 units in Japanese launch

Can't say I'm too surprised. I never imagined Donkey Kong would be the game to breathe new life into the Wii U, but it's still a shame to see it selling quite poorly despite being #2 in the charts. We'll have to wait and see if it has any more of an impact in the US and Europe, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Really, only one game coming out soon is gonna have a major impact on the WiiU, and that's MK8.

Theirs Smash also, but I doubt that game is even getting here till the end of the year anyway.

As for 3rd Party, I only picture X being the big deal, cause I don't think Bayo is gonna do that well.

X is either first or second-party depending on who you ask, although "second-party" is just away to differentiate between traditional in-house games and subsidiary-made/contracted games. Technically all second party games are actually first-party.

Its definitely NOT third party, though.

Launch trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF-MsWyFOUk

EDIT: And a UK TV advert, similar to a US one but with one noticeable difference... say, isn't that... OMG YES, BRIAN BLESSED IS DOING THE VOICEOVER! NINTENDO'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKwdboz4TVw

X is 1st/2nd party? That I didn't know, I didn't know Nintendo was that involved with the game.

Technically I don't think Nintendo is directly involved in it other than publishing it. They just OWN Monolith Soft, so that's why its 1st/2nd party and why a lot of people keep on asking for Shulk to appear. Xenoblade Chronicles is a Nintendo IP and X is definitely a spiritual successor to it, so its probably part of the same IP even if its not story connected (like a lot of RPG franchises).

They also OWN Retro Studios as well, although once again, that does not mean that Nintendo forces Retro to do whatever they want Retro to do; they have a good enough position at this point that Nintendo basically provides a bit of oversight but otherwise let's them pick the project they want.

Retro was probably told: "Hey, get started on a new game, here's one of the choices you could work on" or perhaps even "Hey, we want you to work on a new game, what IP would you like to make a game for?" And they decided they wanted to do a new DKC game.

Retro and Monolith are given the same treatment as the like of EAD Tokyo, so what probably happens is they think up an idea and bring it to the table to see if the guys up top greenlight it. On the other side, those same guys at the top approach them with projects they want done too. From what I understand, DKCR actually happened when Retro brought the idea to Miyamoto.

Retro and Monolith are given the same treatment as the like of EAD Tokyo, so what probably happens is they think up an idea and bring it to the table to see if the guys up top greenlight it. On the other side, those same guys at the top approach them with projects they want done too. From what I understand, DKCR actually happened when Retro brought the idea to Miyamoto.

Oh yeah, I figured it would happen both ways. And obviously, Nintendo has to greenlight it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're breathing down the developer's necks, either.

Since this game is out in Japan, people have been lisening to the games amazing soundtrack, which also means some kind people upload the music to this game. Youtuber piplupwater put partically the whole soundtrack Youtube, so here is the link to his DKC: TF playlist :): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCAKOz0OX3_PMfgFMdz3M_2r0dY7zth7x

Some of this games utter gems of music include the following :):

This is most likely going to be soundtrack of the year if these are any indications blink.png!

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember in an E3 Interview carried by US Gamer a comment made by Retro Studios about Miyamoto's involvement with the Return series. Here's the interesting bit...

US GAMER: It’s interesting to hear about Mr. Miyamoto’s involvement in the Returns games, because of course he's the father of Donkey Kong. I guess I didn’t realize that he’s still involved in the series to some degree. Has he given any other advice or thought on, "This is Donkey Kong, this isn’t Donkey Kong?"

RISA TABATA: Well, not so much this time around. That story was from the making of Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Wii. I wonder if you remember, from that game, where Donkey Kong takes a deep breath and blows? That’s Mr. Miyamoto. That came from him.  

MICHAEL KELBAUGH: When we first started… He didn’t just give it to us. We had to earn it, right? We had to put together demos. We had to prove ourselves worthy of the Donkey Kong franchise. I remember him saying, "This is my baby. You’d better get it right." This was before we started the demo. He was exceptionally passionate about Donkey Kong. Along the way, he’d give us tips and a little bit of advice. It was all about being able to prove whether or not Retro could handle continuing his vision.

You can tell how the responsibility taken on delivering a incredible entry in the Donkey Kong series was awfully huge, especially with Miyamoto himself telling them how incredibly important his character is for him ("This is my baby. You’d better get it right."). Yet that didn't stop Retro Studios from delivering such incredible entries with Returns and Tropical Freeze; they were very passionate and committed to their work, and such trust has been very well earned, as proven during their input in the Metroid Prime series.

Stickerbrush Symphony remix and HOLY SHIT IT SO FREAKIN GOOD

JUST LISTEN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SLOGs9ttiE

The music for this game is fantastic, Nintendo, please keep Wise on hold for more projects, I am saying this again because it bears repeating.

• Thumbs Up 2

Stickerbrush Symphony remix and HOLY SHIT IT SO FREAKIN GOOD

JUST LISTEN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SLOGs9ttiE

The music for this game is fantastic, Nintendo, please keep Wise on hold for more projects, I am saying this again because it bears repeating.

Ehhhh... not a fan of the main wind instrument he used. Sounds like its running out of air.

So.... I'm not having fun with this game? I loved Country Returns but... I'm just not finding this one fun like returns, I don't even know why, but I'm regretting buying this day one, I think I'll be trading it in tomorrow when I'm done with it.